Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

Big development update.

• REACH AUDIO FIXES have been delivered and are currently in test, but won't be in the next public test flight due to "some last-minute showstoppers".
  • Current test flights winding their way through the system towards public access include a new challenge system that allows for game-agnostic challenges and objective tracking across all games, lots of Halo 1 bugfixes, and portions of Halo 2 Anniversary (with Theater mode, even!)
  • Theater, Forge and the Reach "Thorage" update still trundling along, will probably be released after Halo 2?

Here's a screenshot they included of Delta Halo at 120 FOV.

Its been so long but that screenshot is from Halo 2 right? drat it actually looks really good :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ok so today I dived in and bought the MCC because its $30 and Halo CE is probably my most played game of all time. Literally hundreds of hours of my life lost in coop, LANs, and hell even the PC port multiplayer.

First thing I did was of course dive into 8v8 BTB and the experience is exactly as I remember it, jank and all, and I love it.

I miss when multiplayer games were about just pure chaos. There is no rhyme or reason or organization. There are no "unlocks" or "progression" you dive in and just enjoy the insanity of it. Spawn next to 4 players on the other team? Toss that grenade and enjoy your 3 seconds of life! Full enemy warthog coming at ya? Throw a sticky on it and watch the fireworks.
It took me a moment to get used to Halo's slow-as-molasses movement again, but once I did I actually like it. Every FPS game these days wants your character running at 60mph showing off your slick 360 degree no scope kills and cool wall jumping. None of that poo poo here. Its slower, but you can chuck a nuke of a grenade a mile away while popping off headshots with your OP pistol.

Speak of, snipers were not as infuriating as I remember, probably thanks to the fact the netcode is janky as gently caress. This is a good thing! It actually levels the playing field since everyone is missing half their shots anyway. There is no thinking or stress involved, its just the perfect game to log a few minutes of chaotic, stupid multiplayer and not stressing about the next unlock.

Oh and before I forget...Vehicles. I love how liberal Halo is with them! On blood gulch you had warthogs, tanks, banshees, ect all flying around blowing each other up, crashing into each other, ect. Glorious. These days even Battlefield can barely afford to give each time more than 1 vehicle per map.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Replaying the Reach campaign and I’m enjoying it more than I remember. It’s still hard as hell, even on Heroic, but being able to pin point DMR headshots on those Elite bastards with Mouse and Keyboard makes the game way less frustrating.

Also I miss it when Halo was dumb military popsci-fi that had juuusssstt enough lore if you wanted it, but you could ignore it all the same.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I just finished the Reach campaign. It wasn't quite as brutal as I remember thanks to being able to headshot with pinpoint accuracy thanks to keyboard/mouse.....but it's still by far the hardest Halo my god. I had to cheese my way through the final fight holding the platform against wave after wave of Brutes by hiding in that little bunker, and only popping out to quickly headshot a brute and then run back in.

As for the campaign itself. It's fine. I never understood why people think its the "best" Halo campaign. To me, Halo is at its best when it is being bombastic space opera and a little silly at times. Halo 3 does this perfectly (based on my memory of it anyway) with massive vehicle fight sequences, scarab fights, and large set piece battles. Also the locations were all unique and varied. Reach feels like a missed opportunity. The game takes forever to get going. The Covenant sort of kind of land a scouting force? So you have these little minor squad missions until the sequences in space, which is neat, but again there are no large scale set-piece battles like in Halo 3. The level where you have to evacuate civilians in New Alexandria is a nice change of pace, and has a few set pieces, but nothing the series hadn't already done.
Reach was supposed to be the biggest battle in the Human-Covenant war and in the game its hard to tell at times. You don't even get to fight a scarab, and while fighting alongside invincible Spartans is neat, it doesn't feel like it adds anything grand to the game-play since the engagements feel so limited in scope.

Still if I had to rank it, it would be my third favorite Halo campaign behind Halo 3 and Halo CE. But since I plan on re-playing them all who knows maybe my opinion will change!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Yea that was my problem with it. The first half of the game is the Covenant sending a secret invasion force to one of the most heavily defended planets still under UNSC control, and not being noticed at all?? Eric Nylunds book (and all subsequent Halo lore) made it very clear that outside of Earth, Reach was THE most important planet for the UNSC. It was the center of all their military research, ship building, and home of the Spartan training program. It's made very clear that if Reach were to fall, Humanity would face extinction within a matter of weeks.

So it was really weird to have the game open with "oh hey the Covenant conveniently landed an invasion force on this particular part of the planet. Oh well, guess we should try to kick them off idk."

The game improves dramatically in the second half though. Jorge dying to take out a Covenant Super-Carrier, only to have the rest of the Covenant fleet immediately show up to finish off Reach, was an emotional moment. I particularly enjoyed the New Alexandria bits with Brute-led death squads just murdering everything they see as you attempt (and often fail) to rescue desperate civilians while human civilian transport ships are shot down all around you. You also get the accompanying desperate radio chatter that drives home the hopelessness of the situation. The bit where you defend Halsey's lab against wave after wave of Covenant while keeping the turrets operation is also cool.

That said I wish they followed the book a little more closely. It would have been very easy to keep the somber tone, the sense of loss, but really show the immense scale of the Covenant invasion which would drive home the hopelessness of Humanities situation at that point in the war.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 15, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

This. I will never forget the moment Foehammer dropped off the first 'Hog in "Halo" and it growled at me when I hopped in. Driving around in that thing was amazing.

Before the days of Youtube and social media people used to upload videos to the Bungie forums to see how high they could jump the warthog. I remember one guy got it on the cliffs above that installation in Halo where you first run into the marines. Pretty impressive!

*edit*

lol someone actually did a tower to tower jump...to the tune of Journey's "Don't stop believing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNnIG_t-TE0

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 16, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Alright I finished the Halo CE campaign. Thoughts.

What I liked:

The basic gameplay mechanics of shooting/grenades/melee still holds up and is massively fun, especially against Elites

This is controversial, but overall I like the job Saber interactive did with the graphics overhaul. The texture work and character models especially look great. Dynamic shadows are cool as well. Particle effects great. I just think they made everything too bright. Two Betrayals in particular feels like its going to give you a moon burn.

Music. Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori created something special here, everyone knows Halos music by now but my god does it still hold up. I'm iffy about the "remaster" versions but I don't hate them.

Grenades: - I love how in CE they are like little mini-nukes. Toss one into a pack of Grunts and watch them fly -doubly so for the amazing grenade chain-reactions you can set off. Also when you stick an Elite or Grunt they panic and will often run back into their comrades shouting "NOOOOOOOOO!!" taking out the whole lot of them.
One of the worst things Bungie did in the subsequent games was severely nerfing the blast radius of the grenades, and reducing the Covenant reactions to being stuck with them.

Warthog is still cool as hell to drive around in, power-sliding into covenant ever gets old

The Flood: - I think the Flood are the most fun to fight in this version, because they are very vulnerable against the shotgun (one blast brings them down) and grenades will take out groups of them at a time. In the sequels, Bungie turned The Flood into bullet-sponges which was a big mistake as it made fighting against them a massive chore.

What i disliked

Level Design: - this actually didn't bother me when I played this game as teenager, probably because it was such a unique experience otherwise, but the "sameness" and lack of detail in many of the corridor sections is too much to ignore now. There are still stand out sections and set piece battles, but overall the level design is showing its age.

Difficulty Discrepancy: - Maybe its because playing with a Keyboard and Mouse, but I found "heroic" to be too easy but "legendary" to be too hard. I eventually settled for Heroic and disabled auto-aim, but the game still felt like a breeze outside of a few sections.

The Library - it has not gotten any better but thankfully its not as long as I remember it either. Maybe because it was easier than before (see above)

The Warthog Run - I loved this sequence when I first played the game, but now its a huge pain. It's far too easy to flip the goddamn warthog and why the gently caress is the emergency express-way or whatever on the ship designed like an obstacle course?? Second half after Foehammer dies is better but goddamn that first half took me 4-5 tries.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The game is fun....when you can find a match but yea its a crap shoot. Ive had a few good rounds playing CTF heavies in Halo CE but it sucks waiting 15+ minutes for the matchmaking. I wish 343 would just implement dedicated servers.

Hopefully when Halo 2:A releases there will be a big spike in the player base as that (and 3) were the most popular games in the franchise

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hyper Inferno posted:

From what I've read, the sound issue seems to be twofold? There's an issue with the sound being muffled and the effects not sounding quite right, and a second issue where there's extreme stuttering and crackling. The latter at least seems to be somewhat fixable by messing with some config files? Is this an issue that plagues everyone or just certain configurations? Some friends and I are planning on just playing through the Reach co-op while in quarantine.

I never noticed the second issue on my system. The first issue I actually really only noticed with the AR. Otherwise everything sounded fine?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

New MCC developer update is up

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-april-2020

I'm a little surprised how good Halo 3 still looks despite not getting the Anniversary treatment.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So the last two nights I tried to play Reach multiplayer and.....I'm just not having fun? Granted, I poured hundreds of hours into Halo 1-3 and ODST but by the time Reach came out, I had graduated college, started a job, and did not play it as much (though my roommate at the time and I still played a lot of Firefight) so I don't remember disliking it like I did the last two nights.

I mean yes I was getting completely owned, but I get completely owned playing Halo:CE and I don't seem to mind. The difference is, I don't find Reach MP to be fun. I was trying to figure out why and I think I know.

The DMR. Looking online, it looks like the DMR has been a complaint since the game was released, so thats not new. Still, I can see why. It absolutely dominates everything. I love playing BTB. I always have, on every Halo. I love the chaos, I love the vehicles, and if you are playing with friends, I love the coordination. BTB is my absolute favorite mode, and Reach ruins it. BTB on Reach is each team trying to out snipe the other using the BR. It's not fun, at all. It's impossible to use vehicles because they can be shot to hell within seconds, and your gunner is as good as dead. Since the BR has seemingly infinite range, the game comes down to getting players on the map high points, and camping those. CTF isn't fun because no one wants to go for the flag, just hold and pop off headshots with the BR. Also since the movement speed is much faster in Reach than it is in the previous Halos, and the maps tighter, there is less of a use for vehicles in general.

"But Solaris, the Pistol is OP in Halo CE, whats the difference?"
The pistol in Halo CE has a hard range. It will not hit anything at extended range. This is what makes maps like Blood Gulch playable. Yes the pistol is ridiculously OP, but it never bothered me like the BR does in Reach because of that range limitation. You can still tear through the opposing team using a warthog. Also since the maps are much larger, I can find it easier to flank and sneak up on the opposing team in Halo CE BTB battles. I've yet to see a similar level of coordination in Reach, I think that is mostly due to the map design though coupled with everyone running around like a crazy person focused 1000% on just popping off BR headshots.

I realize this is weird to complain about a 10 year old game, but I think the reasons I listed above (along with the technical issues) are why the player counts are so low. Unless you spent hundreds of hours perfecting your map knowledge and getting lazer-good with the BR, the game isn't fun, especially for new comers. Halo CE is much more fun (imo) but it is janky and old so you have to have a nostalgia factor for it.

Here's hoping the release of Halo 2 and Halo 3 breath some new life into MMC as those two games are the ones most people (myself included) remember most fondly and felt far more balanced.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Tighclops posted:

That's funny because I always found the battle rifle ridiculously overpowered in Halo 3 and felt the DMR was an improvement.

The BR is indeed OP as is Halo tradition but iirc it had the same limitation as the pistol in that it was only useful at short to mid range. A skilled DMR by comparison player can lock down a portion of the map due to its unlimited range.

Also Halo 3’s movement speed is slower and maps a bit more open which encouraged vehicle usage and team coordination.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I quit Reach before the TU but to the previous posters point I didn’t remember the DMR being this annoying before.

Reading online, it appears the TU increased the accuracy of the DMR :psyduck:
And of course Reach in Halo MCC uses TU settings.

I think that combined with Keyboard/Mouse and increased monitor resolutions (making it easier to spot distant enemies) have made the DMR even more god-like and annoying than before.

I never bothered with Halo 4 MP so I cannot comment on it, but I can now see why people think 343 “ruined Halo”

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ok I know I'm sounding like I'm complaining too much but thats it, I'm out. Decided to give Reach one more try but ended up on a team full of griefers. They were smart enough that if you jumped into a vehicle, they would purposely damage your vehicle juusssstttt enough but not kill you. Or they would knock your shields out, leaving you open to insta-death from a DMR.

I thought to myself ok ill just report them

Except there is no apparent way to do this in game (what the gently caress??). In frustration I quit, but this "banned" me from trying to rejoin another match because I quit early so yay I'm the one who eats a punishment.

I look online and see you have to sign in to Xbox.com to report a player. Except (at least for me) their sign in is down. Just spins and spins and spins.

What a loving garbage system, trash community, and trash support from 343. Halo is one of my favorite franchises of all time and I was so psyched to play on PC but goddamn it feels like everything is designed to discouraged all but the worst of the community to keep playing. Bravo 343! Hope this turns around in time for Halo 2/3...

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Supposedly 343 is introducing a server browser but who knows. I miss dedicated servers because a well moderated server is the best defense against griefers and cheaters and can be the building block of a great community.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 4, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Halo 2 and Anniversary are set to release at 11pm EST. That's the good news
The bad news is, there are a whole host of issues, some of them seem quite significant?

quote:

Halo 2 Launch Known Issues

Campaign

On Xbox in Co-op multiplayer, the HUD will become off centered when zooming in
Terminal videos default to English only
In-game audio plays while viewing terminal videos
Subtitles are not present in campaign gameplay
Subtitles are out of sync with audio when viewing cutscenes
Users on AMD hardware may encounter missing and/or flickering textures across campaign (such as the Elevator on Oracle)
Oracle in has several graphical issues including around glass flood tanks, clouds, and lightning effects
Cinematic audio for in Halo 2 and Halo 2: Anniversary is affected by different audio option sliders.
Enemy Elites do not dual wield in the Campaign
Campaign cutscenes are much louder than gameplay
Some Campaign missions have FPS drops on first launch of the mission
When having multiple audio devices and swapping between classic and remastered graphics in cutscenes, audio can change output devices
When using a Ryzen 5 and AMD GPU, large rectangle volumes appear on the mission Oracle
Blur Cinematics and Terminal videos can have visual issues in non-16:9 aspect ratios as they were rendered at 16:9
Gunfire sounds are missing from multiple weapons with the Scarab Skull active
With the Scarab Gun skull active, a hardlock can happen when firing a plasma rifle after swapping weapons with an Elite
Sentinel lights will display for a short time after death before disappearing
Some environmental textures appear in lower than expected resolutions
Music will loop incorrectly on Metropolis while in the Scorpion tank
Using Nvidia GPUs on Classic graphics, various foliage environment LOD textures are missing
Gravemind on co-op has hitches and with poor network conditions disconnects can happen
When swapping between Classic and Remastered graphics music will change to different parts of the track

Halo 2: Anniversary

Pixilation on shadows can be seen in Anniversary graphics
Forge map lighting is not appearing correctly
Performance lowers during games of 3 plots
Texture resolution is displaying in low quality through various parts of the title
When looking at the fan on Stonetown, FPS sometimes drops to 45
Audio is missing when reloading weapons when done quickly
Primary weapon audio decreases if you are shooting while picking up a secondary weapon
Decals on the Gauss Warthog turret will detach from the model during the firing animation
When using newer Intel drivers with onboard graphics, you cannot launch
Performance in theater films is capped at 60 fps when framerate is set to unlimited
There are no inversion options in the Settings Menu for dual wielding
Lighting is inconsistent between Elite and Spartan armors
There is visible stuttering on objects when strafing with Unlimited Framerate enabled
Sound effects do not play for the player holding the oddball when playing Hot Potato
The Hoplite armor is missing a rear armor piece in gameplay

Halo 2

When using voice chat there is no notification that players are talking
The music mixing is much quieter in MCC compared to the original
Team Spawn system does not have parity with original
Bullet registration is not in parity with the original
The respawn timer is hidden by the territory capture meter in multiplayer
Gamma values are excessively blown out compared to legacy
Super bouncing does not mirror legacy
Snow VFX do not match legacy behavior on snow weather missions and maps
The sun is not rendering on most maps and missions
When playing at higher field of view, textures will appear to pop in more frequently as the LOD distance is shortened
Banshees turn faster when using Mouse and Keyboard

Sources:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-2-pc-launch-time-release-date-known-issues-co/1100-6477076/
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...s?page=2#post29

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Or at least make it a public beta or something if you’re that desperate for a release. With that many big issues left (the sun disappears wtf??) it might as well still be in beta.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Halo 2 was clearly the game everyone was waiting for. Here are the steamchart numbers, keep in mind, some people are playing directly through the Microsoft store so its not capturing everyone

You can see the play count for the Reach, Halo CE, and Halo 2 launches

This is the make or break moment for Halo MCC on the PC if 343 can't provide proper support going forward, there won't be a player base left for 3 and beyond.

*edit*

My bad I mis-read the chart. All Time Peak was 93K in December, and 34K for Halo CE. But it's still peaked back up to 40K for the Halo 2 release so its up to 343 to support the game and see if the community sticks around this time (Halo CE and Reach both died out fast).

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 13, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I can't seem to get the multiplayer to install (it just says "Pending") so I decided to try the single player.

Audio for the marines/sgt johnson seems off, yay more audio issues. In addition I can't set any keybindings. If I try to change them, the game won't recognize it and ask me to revert back to default. Also elites I thought dual-wielded before are not and I check the bug list and lo and behold, elites won't dual-wield in the campaign.

Hopefully I can download the campaign at some point...but I am very tempted to stop and wait for 343 to patch this poo poo because goddamn

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Carnaticum posted:

You have to select it then click on the small "Accept" tile that appears bottom left and is the same colour as the background UI and not highlighted.

I was fooled by this too.

Holy poo poo it was that! What an incredibly stupid UI and I work in service desk so I spend most of my day telling olds click this or click that in UIs that specifically hold your hand through the entire process.

I can't imagine how many people miss that loving ACCEPT tile which has the same size letter head AND color as the background with absolutely nothing to indicate that A) you need to click that or B) it is even there.

Jesus loving christ 343 do they not have anyone who playtests these things?? :psyduck:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Some more details - as of now Halo 2 MP is straight up broken lol

quote:

8:00 PM – 9:59 PM
We were on the phone with Steam and buttons were pressed at 7:58 to ensure the game was available at 8:00 pm. Over the next several hours we saw players installing, booting up, playing, and streaming the game. We saw small issues that we triaged in our “War Room” (a virtual Teams call with members of various teams across the studio) and were able to assess and mitigate a few minor things very quickly.

10:00 PM – First Contact
At approximately 10:00 PM, it was brought to our attention that a clip had been made where LEGIQN shot a series of rockets and they were betraying his teammates on the other side of the map. It happened a few times and he ended up getting booted from the match because of this. This was flagged in the War Room to the entire group of folks around 10:06 as a potential issue to be aware of as we continued to look across social and monitor streams.

11:00 PM – 1:59 AM
By about 11 we had compiled roughly 10+ clips of players who had experienced this issue on streams, created threads, and it was clear this was a real issue that was not present during flighting for Halo 2 just a few weeks back. Something had changed and not for the good. We ended up putting out a tweet from Halo Support @HaloSupport and it was added to our Known Issues to let players know we were aware and investigating.QA, Community, Engineering, and Production were syncing together for a while to discuss, dissect, and come up with ideas of what could be causing this issue. Around 12:30 folks were in game starting to work on reproducing the issue on PC and while others jumped on a console. A group of us got together and were able to get into a match and find a reliable “repro” for this issue.

2:00 AM – 9:59 AM
Early in the morning, Production put together a detailed email to our development partners at Saber outlining the reproduction steps, a series of clips, and the area we believe the issue may have arisen from so they could begin investigation on their side. Saber was able to reproduce on their side, enter a bug, and then reached out and talked our teams through a potential fix. A new test build was created and sent over to 343 for our test teams to dig in and investigate the results

.10:00 AM To 7:00 PM
Teams have been continuing investigations and working through the issue itself along with other bugs that the community has been raising. Unfortunately, the initial fix we were validating did not resolve the issue in Halo 2, so our joint teams will continue investigating a fix. Additionally, a few of our other priorities also include investigating graphical and behavioral oddities in Halo 3 multiplayer matchmaking on Xbox One as well as some reports surrounding Keybinding on PC.As a reminder, if there are issues you are encountering at any time including Halo 3 or Keybinding, please be sure to submit them over at aka.ms/HaloSupport. We are always looking for more pieces of information to help us understand and work to act on issues that the community is facing. The more details we have, the more efficiently our test teams can unravel these mysteries.

What Comes Next
Right now, we are still working towards a fix for the Halo 2 projectile issue. In addition, work continues in parallel validating fixes for other issues (some of the Known Issues were already being worked on at launch, etc..). Once the team feels good about the fixes for a handful of these key issues, we will need to spend adequate time internally and with our partners testing and verifying that these issues are truly resolved and there are no regressions elsewhere in the title. Once we get to that point, we’ll have a better sense of timing to release a hotfix.Please know that our teams are working as quickly as they can to address issues and areas of feedback. The reality is that no two issues are the same – some end up being quick and easy fixes while others are far more tangled and complex requiring lengthier testing and more substantial release management dependencies. And of course, all of this comes at a time when our teams and development partners are scattered and working-from-home, without our standard resources and facilities, doing their best to navigate a new development and production reality.Thank you for your continued support and for continuing to report issues as you encounter them. Please keep an eye on our Known Issues and stay tuned to @HaloSupport. We’ll share more information on the hotfix and what it will include as soon as we can.

source:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...f8953cdea/posts

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 14, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

According to the timeline post above (and seriously wtf happened to the formatting on that) the bug wasn't in the public test build, so something must've gone fucky between that and the final release and they're scrambling to co-ordinate with a dev partner in another timezone to figure out what precisely went pair-shaped. This has happened with games in the past, but they usually didn't have such bizarrely bureaucracy-riddled testing processes and as such could usually shart out a hotfix in a day or two stat. I suspect it'll take a bit longer here.

My bad I was phone posting and the mobile app apparently didn't appreciate the copy and paste - I just fixed it up.

I'm personally going to hold off on the game for a few days (weeks?) until 343 can get a few patches out.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 14, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

V for Vegans posted:

I’ve been playing during my work breaks and it’s a blast until you end up on a bad team in CTF where the other team pins your team in it’s base but that’s less a glitch and more just a consequence of playing with randoms against an organized team.

Yea that's a feature of Halo lol.

For what it's worth I heard that Halo 2 A (Halo2C seems to have most of the issues) multiplayer has been working fine so I'm going to try to get a few rounds in tonight.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hed posted:

I tried to play Halo CE multiplayer today and after 10 minutes waiting for players noped out. Is it really so dead a few months later?

I’ve run into this too especially trying to find BTB games.

Also when I do find a game 9/10 its the Sidewinder map :-/

I personally don’t think all that many people are playing CE

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Played some Halo 2 A and even a round of Halo 2C and...had fun!

First I got my keybindings figured out, something called “slider” was not bound in reach so took care of that and then was able to set keybindings for Halo 2

Both Halo 2 A and C seemed to run fine, and I didn’t notice any super obvious glitches. I didn’t notice any of my shots missing in Halo 2C. I am an atrocious player though, so its hard to tell if I’m missing intentionally or not. :v:

I also tried to play a round of Halo CE but after waiting in the match making queue for 10min for a BTB game I gave up. It seems like Halo CE is dead :(

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

spincube posted:

I'd forgotten how 2004 H2 was: it starts out with another 'repel boarders' mission, then there's a 'fight through dusty brown Middle Eastern city streets' mission, then it's off to another Halo to be shredded by sniper fire from inside some jungle ruins.

Yea New Mombasa looks less like "Equatorial major city circa 25th century" and more like "Fallujah 2004" and even at the time I remember thinking "huh, this looks nothing like the future city from the 2003 demo..."

New Mombasa changed dramatically in ODST though and looks more like the city that Bungie had originally envisioned.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Speaking of the E3 2003 Demo two Bungie developers re-play the demo on an Xbox Dev kit somewhat recently and provide commentary on what changed (just about everything)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnWKCSsLOOU

The game ran like poo poo and they had to rebuild it from scratch after that demo.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Iirc there is aim assist with controllers but not keyboard/mouse and it is a huge source of contention within the community

When i was reading tips for how to use the BR in Reach some months back one site just said “use the controller”

I haven’t tried a controller yet so can’t independently verify if the aim-assist is aimbot levels of good for controller players

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I started playing the Halo 2 A campaign, only on the 2nd level but some thoughts

1) It's much harder than I remember, even with keyboard and mouse. I'm playing on Heroic and your shields drain super fast and the covenant are laser accurate. It feels like there are fewer checkpoints as well compared to Halo 1/Reach.

2) I keep trying to play dual wield but due to the fact that your shields last 3 shots max, and death quickly follows, I wasn't having much luck. Popping off headshots with the BR and sticking elites with plasma / using regular grenades for grunts and jackals is a much more effective strategy

3) Hunters are deadly as gently caress holy poo poo

4) gently caress you sniper jackals

5) The game feels..slower? More confined? Yes I am only two levels in but already it is missing some of the wide open spaces from Halo 1 and even Reach. It's clear they pushed the Xbox to its limit and had to reduce the playable space as a result.

Overall I am having fun, but only once I just accepted the fact that the BR rules all. Bungie really pushed dual-wielding in their marketing but honestly it doesn't do much good when you need to be in close combat to be effective, and the enemies shred your shields.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I found the Reach Hunters to be much easier to deal with because they didn’t have that stream-cannon from Halo 2-3 and I seemingly always had a rocket launcher when faced with them.

It is funny though how hard Bungie pushed dual-wielding in Halo 2 marketing (the chief even dual wields smgs on the cover and they showed it off in that E3 demo) but in practicality it breaks the core Halo gunplay loop of “precision weapon, grenades, melee” and became impossible for Bungie to properly balance without breaking that core loop.

By Halo 3 dual-wielding was an afterthought (I almost never saw anyone do it in MP) and by ODST it was gone for good.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Whoever made the space section in Long Night of Solace should be fired holy poo poo it is terrible. Who needs a minimal to tell you where enemy ships are? Just wait for five seraphs to come up on your tail and kill you in five seconds flat! It's okay though, they gave you a thruster boost that does nothing to let you outrun shots.

That level is far harder on MCC on PC than it ever was on console. Current theories are the Seraph fighters fire rate is tied to frame rate. So the higher framerate makes them far deadlier.

I died probably a dozen times before figuring out if you hide behind the station the Seraphs won’t follow you and you can let your AI buddies whittle them down while you hide like a coward.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Yea Reach has a "love it or hate it" reputation because its the first game to really start to diverge from the core Halo mechanics of the previous games. The elites are very hard to play against, and the DMR is largely ineffective against them because they can dodge your shots so easily and their shields seem to have a quick re-charge. Also the story is messy, at least at first, and Bungie still has a love for making you repeat the same level twice (Sword base).
When I replayed it on the MCC I actually enjoyed it a bit more than I remembered back when it first came out, however I hated the multiplayer especially the maps.

Also yea I think Halo CE multiplayer is dead, unfortunately. Last time I tried to play I tried to find a BTB match, spent 20 minutes in the queue, and gave up. At this point, I think everyone has moved on to Halo 2/A for MP.

Speaking of, I'm playing through the Halo 2 campaign and enjoying it. Halo 2 on Heroic is much MUCH harder than Halo CE was. Playing Halo CE on heroic, I died maybe twice. With Halo 2, I am easily dying a dozen or so times per level, especially against the Flood. I especially hate some of the mid-2000s level design decisions (wanna ride an elevator sequence while being assaulted by wave after wave of Flood for 10mins? And you are constantly running out of ammo? Have fun! Or hallway sections with impossible-to see one-shot snipers!) but it's broken up by some fantastic design (Delta Halo). The game is definitely smaller scale compared to CE and especially 3, it's clear Bungie bit off more than they could chew tech-wise, which means at most you get 3 marines fighting alone side with you, but the Covenant elite vs brute fights at the end are cool. The anniversary graphics are much better than CE's. They don't feel as needlessly "busy" and the lighting, for the most port, is appropriate and not overly bright.

Also I found this really cool Youtube video on the AI behavior tree of Halo 2/3 and how the AI changes/reacts to decisions the player makes. Worth a watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU717sd8oUc

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 13, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Update to my Halo 2 A playthrough.

The Brutes are cheap as gently caress on Uprising holy gently caress. There are A LOT of them, and they can one shot kill you with shotguns and the brute shot AND have near-perfect accuracy. On top of that, they berserk very quickly, and if they hit you while beserk it is often a one-shot death. I am maybe 1/4 of the way through the level and have already died well over a dozen times on Heroic. You get elites as allies which should even the odds but it doesn't, because the Brutes can just pummel them to death so quickly and plasma weapons do just about zero damage to them.

In Gravemind I could counter them pretty easily with headshots from the carbine, but in that level you usually only fought them two at a time. In uprising you fight them in large packs, so you can take down one or two but then the rest go beserk and game over.

I'm so happy Bungie realized how unfun they are to play against and totally revamped them in Halo 3.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

To be fair to the poster in Fall of Reach the UNSC are presented as militarily competent (if incredibly fascist) and they fight admirably - to the point where the Elites question “why such a competent foe isn’t simply adopted into the Covenant like the others?”

The UNSC get steam rolled because their forces are technologically and numerically far inferior to The Covenant.

However in Reach (the game) the UNSC don’t even notice a Covenant invasion force massing on their most important and heavily guarded military planet so yea....

Anyway I just finished Halo 2 A campaign. I had to cheese my way through the Brutes (hang back and snipe them with the Beam rifle. Move very slowly forward for the next pack to spawn, repeat) but whatever. The next two levels were a breeze, and in “Great Journey” there is a sequence where you fight alongside Hunters (gently caress yea :black101:) and is one of the best single player moments in Halo. The ending is still the biggest “gently caress you” cliffhanger in gaming but less annoying now than in 2004. Overall I liked it, but it makes me want to replay Halo 3 even more now.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 14, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Also the remastered Halo 2 soundtrack doesn’t have the music from Incubus or Breaking Benjamin for that true mid-2000s experience!

Luckily, the original graphics does !

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

drat, the Incubus track doesn't play during the first Arbiter level unless you're on OG graphics. The new track does not fit the mood at all.

The new track is bland as gently caress. I switched to the old graphics for the incubus track. I did the same thing for the Arbiter Mausoleum battle to get “Blow me Away”.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

343 guilty spark is the worst because in the original it’s supposed to be a dark, creepy swamp. With the anniversary graphics on it looks like a goddamn disco club with all the needlessly bright lighting and completely ruins the mood of the level.

Meanwhile in Halo 2, Delta Halo looks goddamn Fantastic and Sacred Icon, while a little too bright still maintains the same dark atmosphere.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I am so down for Halo 3 on PC the campaign has always been my favorite.

I can't seem to get into the multiplayer though, and I don't think that will change with 3. It seems like a lot of people log in to check it out, but after a week or two most people drop off and only the really good players who've been playing Halo for 15 years stay on. It makes for a pretty unforgiving experience for newbies such as myself.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just wait until you get to the Flood and the entire horror aesthetic goes out the window. 343 Guilty Spark is especially egregious.

343 Guilty Spark went from "Dark, spooky, and somber" to "Outdoor nightclub levels of brightness and lights" with the new graphics.

There are places where the new graphics are OK or even good, like Halo, Pillar of Autumn, Silent Cartographer but good lord did they over-bright everywhere else. Like in "Two Betrayals" its supposed to take place at night but that moon is so bright you might be getting a moon-burn.

Luckily, the Remastered graphics in Halo 2 A are much better and more in line with the level's atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Roluth posted:

I've been considering grabbing this, but I keep hesitating on the reports of bad individual launches. Have patches improved things for Halo 1 and 2? I know that the big audio patch is coming for Reach, but I think the other releases were also a good bit unstable/buggy?

Other than the Reach Audio issues, the performance has been fine for me. I didn't encounter anything note worthy in my Halo and Halo 2 A playthoughs. Both maintained 60 fps at 1080p and I didn't experience any crashes or noticeable glitches.

Now granted, I've barely touched the multiplayer so I can't speak well for it. But the few rounds I did play (Reach, Halo, Halo 2/A) were fine though matchmaking sometimes takes forever to find a BTB.