Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I’m not excited because I wanted to see them salvage the plot and do something interesting with the Prometheans/Guardians/Cortana and instead we’re fighting ape escape guys from the spinoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kin posted:

Like, Halo 3 takes place maybe a couple of days after Reach if even that.

Weeks or months, but yes, I agree. Still — by the time of Halo 2 he'd already managed to save all life in the galaxy, plus lead a Covenant schism that saved humanity from certain extinction. It's easy to overlook someone's gigantic atrocities if they're saving your rear end.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

The best weapon set is halo 3, CE is too limited and has very few good long range options,

This is why it's secretly the best Halo, it draws all the combat in nice and close where you can dance with the full grenade/melee/gunplay tripod.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Disproportionation posted:

It's probably not the most ideal weaponset, but i do like how out there some of Reach's arsenal is, weapons like the grenade launcher are really fun to use because there isn't anything like them in the other games, and I like the spins they took on some of the more conventional weapons, like the needle rifle or the plasma repeater.

I don't know how often I use them (especially in multiplayer), but they're fun to use regardless cause they're unique, and they all feel nice.

I kinda miss the focus rifle way back from the beta though, that thing was a monster.

The only weapons in Reach multi are the DMR and a few power weapons (sniper, rocket, laser, sword/hammer once in a while). The beta had much more interesting balance, the focus rifle and plasma launcher were both viable.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I forgot what a useless piece of poo poo the Chopper was lol

They’re insanely good, if you’re in multi remember the autocannons . You don’t need to constantly charge, just pick people off with the guns.

In legendary/LASO they’re good for skips involving big jumps or climbs.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Elites are fun to fight so we're still fighting them.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

On LASO the Halo 2 elites with regular ol plasma rifles are by far the deadliest enemies in the series, you've either got to double plasma pistol overcharge them or lure them into drawing their sword (they're all ultras on LASO) which makes them a lot less deadly. Cairo Station is essentially unbeatable if you don't force Johnson into the fight ahead of you by sticky grenading him/hitting him with a sword.

Halo 3 brutes are fun to fight but not very hard except in huge numbers. Reach elites are nearly unkillable but you have more bullshit to throw at them, like invincible teammates or armor abilities, and it's much easier to just bypass them.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 27, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I'd give the LASO campaigns a go if it weren't for the iron skull, having to restart the level just kills any desire I have to slog through that. You could never make custom campaign playlists on the xbox version right? Wonder if they'll add that in for pc. Seems like a no brainer but it is 343.

If you quickly save and quit when you die, then resume the game from the playlist screen, you won't lose any progress (from your last checkpoint).

I don't think anybody does them actually obeying iron.

Or, do them coop.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Reach has a problem with weird dialogue redundancy. You have people saying "hostile tangos," "UNSC frigate", I mean whose frigate would we think it is on the radio?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

jivjov posted:

There's a mission with civilian transport ships on the radio, so that makes sense

Civilian transport ships aren’t frigates, and in any case the weird frigate dialogue is from a giant military operation with nary a civilian in sight.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

A good part of Reach is the bit in Nightfall where you meet the civilian militia. You can totally ignore them and continue the mission if you know where to go, skipping a bunch of fairly intense combat. Fits the UNSC’s ethics perfectly!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

My countdown has no abort

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh jeeze

Watch a lets play of 5 and you'll quickly realize you're fine not having it ported.

5 is just SO bad though.

I can't see myself EVER playing 4 or 5 again. Even as a joke. They're just irredeemably awful from start to finish. Definitely won't pay :10bux: for them.

4 is so good in a lot of ways, I think a quick edit on the Promethean stats would probably make it my favorite Halo campaign since the first. The worst part about the campaign is endlessly light rifling/BRing things in the head from yawn-inducing range.

I'd love to have 5 on PC. It's more Halo, and I'd like to check out the things it does right even if it was a failure on net.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

jokes posted:

MC is a dumb idiot who has a quantifiable advantage over everyone because he has "luck" which is the in-universe way of saying the writers of the universe want him to be special. This is later changed into making him better than everyone AND genetically superior and awesome and perfect which is just some dumb poo poo. The reason he's able to pull off crazy action movie poo poo is because he's lucky and highly trained and well equipped, not because of whatever other reason. And that's way cooler of an explanation than this space marine geneseed poo poo or whatever.

I think "luck" is also how he's able to just jump off a spaceship and into the atmosphere in 3. He just relies on the fact that things will work out for him, because they always do.

e: It also makes his cock-sure comments like "we'll make it" even funnier because he knows he has plot armor and he's not gonna die to a plane wreck or whatever.

The protagonist in Marathon could search through alternate realities to find the ones where he won, which was a cool meta acknowledgment of saving and loading games.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It retroactively bugs me that the Pillar of Autumn isn't taking potshots at anything in that level in Reach. Thanks for the help assholes

It retroactively bugs me that they retroactively put the Pillar of Autumn there at all.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

there's nothing quite like the endless dropped grenade chain reactions in CE

On LASO dead grunts detonate like plasma grenades, setting off their own plasma grenades + any chain reaction nades nearby. But the best part is that they don't detonate if the area they're in is 'inactive', which is a state the engine will put a room in if the player's not inside it and in line of sight. So if you're picking grunts off from afar they may wait to explode until you're in the room, setting off every other dropped grenade within two light-years :unsmigghh:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This actually makes LASO much easier because you can use grunts to kill their elite bosses.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, Bungie did the same thing with the Traveller and Darkness in Destiny and now they're trying to go more in detail on what those concepts are and they're flailing badly.

But then I think the original authors who wrote that stuff left, so I guess the new writers just can't pick up the slack.

I’ve known exactly what the Traveler and Darkness are since the beginning. Whether anyone at Bungie wants to stick to my ideas isn’t up to me, but I’m still occasionally contributing lore.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yes, though that works differently in every game. In Halo CE it's arguably an advantage because the shield refill is instant. You can 1v1 a flood combat form in melee because you'll be back at full shields every time you wallop it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

:justpost:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Just finished Halo 3 on LASO, which probably beats Reach for easiest LASO of the campaigns out on PC so far. Like Halo 2 it ends with a hilarious Johnson-centric exploit, except instead of duplicating Johnson 4 times like in the Halo 2 ending, you steal his infinite ammo Spartan laser.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Halo 5 MP apparently did really well and still makes good numbers years after release.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Four had one of the best campaigns in the series and five had probably the most loved multiplayer since the halcyon days of 2/3 (and remember, 3 was overshadowed by the CoD explosion). Even ignoring money, it’s hard to call the 343 games flops. They’ve both done something really well.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Four will benefit a lot from a few simple balance mods to make more weapons viable, turn off the perma-Famine effect, and soften up the Prometheans a bit.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Reach messed it up by only having a little bit (I think a single playlist?) have purely skill based matchmaking. All the rest was time-based level grinds.

Where do you get this stuff? Your visible 'time based grind' rank in Reach had nothing to do with your ELO/trueskill as used in matchmaking.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Again, buddy, you can have a trueskill/ELO ranking behind the scenes that's used for matchmaking that has nothing to do with the visible 'time based grind' OR your arena rank. Or you could not, it doesn't matter - the time based grind had nothing to do with matchmaking, it was purely cosmetic.

e: what RBA said

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Replacing jackal beam rifles with carbines in Halo 3 was a smart move. They're still a big threat but they're not a hitscan instadeath.

They still have beam rifles a lot. Oddly enough they’re especially common on the first level, where you’d want to make a nice first impression.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know Bungie made a big deal about hiw Halo Reach refined the engine so that more units could be rendered on the screen but I don't recall any battles that felt bigger than the fights in Halo 3.

And ODST, the small scale noir adventure, has the best and biggest vehicle levels in the series. It’s opposite franchise.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

3 suffers from losing 2's writer (due to internal backlash against 2's long cutscenes/Covenant story and hosed up dev cycle, I think) and from spending about half its runtime on the Earth levels, in which literally nothing happens.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 10, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

e: double post

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Right but the problem is that none of that stuff ends up mattering, or making any kind of difference. It's fun to play, which I guess is enough, but it's not hard to wish for a bit more. For example: use some of that level space to explore the slow transformation from regular ol Voi into ancient Forerunner ruins, and tell us a bit about what Truth's ultimate goals are to pay off his Halo 2 arc.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

In Halo 3 his goals are simultaneously "Activate Halo so everybody dies and I become a god" but also "Activate Halo while I'm on the Ark so I'll be okay" and it is very hard to reconcile these two goals into making any kind of sense.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

He does, he specifically describes the Ark as a “shelter from Halo’s fire” in one of his hologram speeches. But Halo 3 was written by a bunch of people who weren’t talking to each other, so it contradicts itself on a few points.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It’s pretty hard to see Kilimanjaro, you have to kill a lot of guys really fast.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is a good thing for the game plus now it won’t have to go head to head with Bugsnax.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still annoyed that bullets fire from your head level in multiplayer rather than from the actual gun model.

It's annoying but it's way better than the alternative.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I really don't understand why the DMR has so much physics impulse against vehicles. It almost feels like a bug.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It’s kind of good that the DMR kills the Banshee because the Banshee is a god machine in 3 and Reach. But the effect on warthogs and mongeese and even tanks was just profoundly too much.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Xinlum posted:

Anyone have luck messing around with old H2 glitches? It's still super easy to get out of bounds on Containment, but I could not make progress on sword cancelling to escape Turf, I got out of bounds but couldn't really move around the rooftops like I remember doing in the original. I also haven't gotten any of the superbounces to work in Ascension but I might just be doing them wrong.

Backpack reloading still totally works in Halo 1 fyi, double tap reload and switch weapons to reload while you shoot with your other weapon.

Halo 1 has a super easy to execute glitch where you can reload any human weapon without expending ammo, it's super useful on LASO. Infinite rockets please, infinite shotgun even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It also has the biggest action sequences in the series though. The ODST vehicle levels are fuckin fantastic, they make Reach look like a history channel reenactment.