Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

DMRs are poop

this post brought to you by the Invasion gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Some guy called me the n word last night. No way to even report people in this game lol

I went to go google to see if there was some hidden away option, and the first result was a forum post asking how to do it

every reply with the most likes was a variation of "deal with it snowflake" "grow thicker skin" "actually racism is good"

glad to see 343 has really cultivated an excellent community

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Also in case anyone else can't figure it out, the Banshee's little green bomb thing is mapped to change weapons/1 for some reason. It took me forever to realize it

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I've only done multiplayer so far but the only real weird sound issue I've noticed is that the noise for a distant Warthog is just a Mongoose's regular noise and it's very confusing.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Played a big team Buddy Slayer last night and the game doesn't like spawning you into the VTOL if your buddy is in it when you go to spawn, it just drops you into the sky.

Well like half my team's designated buddies were in that thing so the rest of us just kept spawning in the air and "suiciding" en masse until we all switched to jetpack kits to survive respawning.

Pretty sure buddy slayer lets you spawn on anyone on your team if you use the arrow keys.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I was looking some stuff up with the MCC in general since I’m pretty out of the halo and having no real idea what’s up besides “it was busted,” this poo poo is wild.

There’s apparently Halo 1 Anniversary multiplayer, but it was just maps for Reach and that’s available now and just lumped in? But MCC also has uprezzed regular Halo 1 multiplayer? And Halo 2 Anniversary does have remake multiplayer on a new engine but it’s only 6 maps but it has hornets and a mongoose with a gun?

What the gently caress

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

You could join games in progress on 360

Starting with Halo 4, yeah. Reach never had it

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Do you mean ranked I've def joined games before then

It existed for custom games but nothing with matchmaking. People would always talk about Call of Duty being better because one quitter wouldn’t ruin a whole match.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Trip report on controller: the auto aim is actually really strong like everyone was bitching about. I dunno about bullet magnetism, but you can have someone walk in front of you and your whole aim will just turn and gravitate to their head without pushing a button. I think I remember one of the games having different aim assist settings that would impact matchmaking? This is probably whatever the strongest setting was. Also you can hack together the aim assist with KB&M and that seems very bad

I think long range shooting or target acquisition (and general maneuverability) is the only stuff that suffers, but I'm also very out of practice with a controller. My subjective experience has been roughly comparable between the two settings, but I could see how if you've been playing console FPS games for years that this would be much much better.

PantsBandit posted:

Also looking at radar from time to time. I knew people who played Halo for years and still never looked at radar.

also god anyone out there please use the radar, it's so essential.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

i think that the stand alone halo anniversary game had the halo reach mp but the version of halo anniversary in the mcc actually has halo 1's online mode, but it isn't remastered

Right. The Halo Reach maps that came with Halo CE Anniversary are part of Reach right now (Hang em High, the Halo firefight map, etc.) When MCC came out they added the uprezzed Halo CE multi.

Halo 2 Anniversary has its own remastered multiplayer, plus the uprezzed Halo 2 MP. Halo 3 and Reach are just uprezzes.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Coolguye posted:

the amount of confusion over which halo experience is which is desperately funny to me

please open The Master Chief Collection and use my file share to launch Halo Waypoint through the new Halo Channel to look at the Halo Twitter, which will have a pinned tweet that links you to an archived Bungie.net Weekly Update that explains everything

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Wheeee posted:

meant to quote the other guy

do the other Halo games not have bloom? I haven't played these since OG Xbox but I hate every weapon in Reach that isn't the BR or sniper rifle

1-ODST don’t, I dunno about 4. I remember that Halo 3’s BR had a random bullet spread to it and it pissed people off a whole lot though

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Kin posted:

Does it really matter how well you rank? I seem to get a decent amount of EXP from just contributing to a match so far and getting a few medals. Though i'm still only on maybe the 7th rank or so.

The breakdown is time spent/personal medals/team medals. I don’t know if your kill/death ratio factors into it at all.

I think all 3 categories are capped at 8000 per game and realistically you’ll never get to that in time spent or the team medals. It’s why people abuse Grifball to level up, since it’s so easy to get a few multikill medals (especially on afkers) and the games go by so much faster than regular matches.

For like a point of comparison, capturing the flag in a big team CTF match feels huge and monumental and maybe gets you 1000 points? But getting an easy triple kill and scoring a point in Grifball would get you way more with minimal effort and a fraction of the time.

Luckily the unlocks don’t really matter and it’s double XP for the holidays. :toot:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Kin posted:

Yeah checked both and then jumped through the menus. I couldn't see a prompt for it downloading or a progress bar or anything like that. Was I supposed to?

You have to hit like, "update preferences" or whatever below the selection before it starts downloading. There's a progress bar at the top middle of the screen while it's going, and it still goes in the background and such. I played a little Firefight while I waited.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Actually the best part of Halo CE is pitching 8 nuclear bombs a full mile away

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

What FOV setting you guys have? I have been using the default but I think it's been causing me some light headaches that I never had before playing Halo. Maybe I am getting old :smith:

I think I settled around 105. Higher felt too wide and the default is waaaaay too narrow for a PC game.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Three or four multiplayer maps were PC specific as well

I haven't gotten a single match on Death Island yet and frankly, I'm offended

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Arrath posted:

Is there really no way to get the truly default controls in CE? Melee on B and all that?

Also something is funky about the button timing. Holding X to pickup guns does nothing and its trial and error on pressing the button to switch weapons or grenade types without it registering two inputs and going right back to what I had before.

Make sure you’re on the latest Windows OS update for the weapon thing. I have no idea why that’s a thing that messes with it, but it is.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Vichan posted:

Playing the Halo: Anniversary campaign and I can't pick up weapons that are on the ground. Switching weapons also doesn't work half of the time. JFC.

I don't know if this is the same issue as the last time, but make sure you've got the latest Windows OS update installed and try it again. That's a Thing That Will Make poo poo Not Work for some reason.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

double needler wrecks brutes, at least on heroic. although when possible I think you'd still rather plink them from far away with dmr/carbine/snipers. brute shot's ok too. does the brute shot do extra melee damage in 2, or was that a 3 thing?

It does double damage in 2. Jumping and melee also does a lot of extra damage, and I think a jumping melee with the Brute Shot is an instant kill in multiplayer.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

:toot:

:tootzzz:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Was the audio distortion when using the cloak always in the game?

For Reach? Yeah, that's intentional.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

FPzero posted:

That said, it's going to be much more impactful if you've played the other games first. Definitely recommend saving it for last.

Seconding this one to just play the campaigns in order of release. Reach isn’t hard to understand but its moments of significance are rooted in nostalgia and winks towards the audience, and I think you’d definitely lose something if you played it first.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

i vomit kittens posted:

so after actually playing some more of the matchmaking instead of campaign/customs, the hit reg in this game is comically bad. like, so much so that getting in a firefight with someone feels more like a game of chance on whose shots are going to get picked by the server than anything. 343 is apparently claiming that the original game was like this as well which really just... doesn't seem accurate? i have a very hard time believing that something this terrible would be one of the most played FPS on the 360.

Halo 3’s hit registration is also notoriously not great but yeah, it’s significantly worse on MCC. I think it doesn’t help that the BR infamously has random bullet spread so it’s designed to not be consistent before netcode even takes effect.

I’ve definitely personally noticed it, especially at long distances, but honestly if you gave me the choice of this or Reach DMRs I’ll take not dying across the map every single time.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I just use Universal Reclaimer for every game's control scheme and that works fine for me. X reloads, Melee's on RB, Equipment's on LB.

I kinda wanna try out Universal Bumper Jumper instead, but I feel like that one would suck for Reach since you can't sprint and aim at the same time like that.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Halo Wars has a button on the controller dedicated to selecting all units and it makes a voice go ALL UNITS.

It’s really good

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I just drove a dude to 50 kills in a gauss hog and all I have to say is gently caress the gauss hog

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Before playing the MCC I hadn't played the Halo games in a really, really long time, and I remembered Halo 2 as being totally kickin rad awesome (first game I ever bought brand new on the day of release too), and Halo 3 being good...but not massively memorable or as good as Halo 2.

I think I had about the same experience. I remembered Halo 2 as having faster gameplay overall and kinda resented 3's slightly slower pace. I think my memory had painted it as having a better campaign for whatever reason, and now in retrospect I think it mostly just came from me conflating the hype around it into it actually being that good of a game.

I think I also really overvalued how good Reach was by comparison too, possibly because it had AR starts and a good pistol instead of Battle Rifles everywhere and then, welp. :v:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also 343 Guilty Spark was an ancient human named Chakas who had his consciousness digitized and put into a Monitor frame and also he survived getting spartan lasered and now he rides around on a pirate ship with human scavengers while moonlighting as a cyberman.

Excuse me what the gently caress

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hello I am 343 Guilty-of-loving-with-the-continuity Spark.

I don't know if this is the stupidest poo poo I've ever seen but it's pretty far up there

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I think of the Brutes as the Covenant version of MAGA chuds. Blind loyalty, no critical thinking ability, love to blame others for all their problems, and quick to self own. Oh and useful idiot tools of evangelicals!

Very vulnerable to just being punched in the face over and over again

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I want to use the grappling hook

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Pops Mgee posted:

If it's just Halo with a grappling hook, it's a potential GOTY. Not a joke.

:yeah:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

The art style didn't bother me much, honestly. I thought the demo looked pretty good and was really confused by the shitposts on Twitter just digging into it.

The Kins posted:

Yeah, this is where I'm at, though a bit of extra shader work on the enemies wouldn't go unappreciated. Give 'em a bit of shine ala the weapons so they stand out a little more and don't look as "flat".

Someone on Reddit dug up this comparison between the beta and final version of Halo 5, so similar shader-tweaking hopefully isn't out of the question, though since they have a console launch to hit who knows.

I also remember Halo 3 had some really significant shader differences in its beta, too. Though I think the beta ones looked better, honestly.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

So this is a straight up live game ala Destiny or Anthem.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I can see valid criticisms for both sides of the argument but I won't deny that sprint makes big team battle matches on large maps a lot more bearable.

The whole point is that the map sizes are designed with your top speed in mind, so it'd be the same with or without sprint.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

UNSC If You Can Read This You're Too Close

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Just you wait, one of those times the tangos are gonna be docile and you'll feel real silly.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I like to think noble team just have a culture of being tryhard tier 1 operator navy seals because they played too much spaceCOD but never saw much action, and that's and that's why they talk like that. Master Chief is way more chill because he knows he can never die, plus his suit jacks him off. That last bit is official Canon BTW.

https://twitter.com/NostalgicVGEdit/status/1285877674083147778

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

8v8 flag and bomb with all games selected is the purest form of bliss