Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Game works pretty well on my PC. Reach is SUPER crisp at 1440p, although that kinda reveals the graphics are a bit dated. But you expect that.

Virtually zero graphical options in the menu feels a bit surprising. Not even loving anti-aliasing? Gonna have to force it through nvidia? :effort:

RBA Starblade posted:

I fully expect to be outshot but I'm using a controller to the salty end for halo

halo on M&KB just feels weird to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thom12255 posted:

Anyone else having an issue where you're in the middle of a match and the screen goes black and the scoreboard comes up for 5 seconds and then you reload into the match and select your class again? I don't understand why it is happening.

Lol this sure is the MCC alright

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

No audio issues in campaign here at least

Turtlicious posted:

It definitely definitely had a way to find custom games.

...really? I never remembered being able to do customs online.

Halo custom games were great but were always a LAN party thing for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FPzero posted:

Halo 1 and 2 on PC both had custom server browsers. Also, the anti-cheat disabled versions of the game make the series ripe for modders down the line. Halo Custom Edition's openness for modders kept that game relevant for years after most people moved on.

If nothing else, I'm just happy to have access to this series again. I lost most of my Halo discs along the way, so being able to just play the series on PC as it releases is more than enough for me.

The anti-cheat disable is itself just a concession to let people work on mods now, proper mod support with anti-cheat is coming.

Overall I'm optimistic for MCC on PC (I really do love Halo and it needs to be preserved) but this reaaaaally is an early access release.

I'm not having any bugs so far but there are definitely lots of people who are.

But like I said before, most games in 2019 are released in beta form now :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

When I was a little kid I had a dream that I had gotten a gameboy and zelda from my parents. It was convincing enough that when I woke up I asked my mom "where's my gameboy?" Before I realized it was a dream.

(My parents got me a gbc eventually)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Deakul posted:

Did the original release not have subtitles for during gameplay? This seems like a ridiculous omission considering people always rave about the story.

Original release only had them for cutscenes. Yeah its kinda lame.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Just to confirm, do all unlocks persist between the various games? So like, can I use my purple Spartan in all campaigns, etc with the same unlocks, without needing to set it up again for each game? Never played the original xbox MCC, so I've got no idea

The same unlocks don't even exist across games

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

spincube posted:

How does the season thing work, anyway? Does this mean the hats I unlock for my Space Barbie, uh, expire?

If its like all the other videogames doing seasons now, no, your unlocks won't expire. Instead when the season ends we all go back to level 1 and there's a new track of unlocks. The things on this season may or may not be able to be unlocked at a later date. (In this case they probably will, since I doubt they're gonna add a ton of new unlocks)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I think so. Maybe the seasons will rotate through the game releases? Or maybe they'll just loop and it'll just be that you have to play X amount in Y time to get the last items on the track :iiam:

seasons don't really make sense unless you're actively adding DLC content so IDK, they're just jumping on the latest bandwagon

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Oh I thought getting knocked out of zoom when getting hit was actually a gameplay mechanic, cripes no wonder I'm having so much difficulty. Think I may shelve this for a bit until the sound mixing + this + crouch is fixed.

lmao it definitely is, you misread something

To explain:

Halo has always knocked you out of zoom and crouch when you are shot

That previous poster was saying that you should not get knocked out of crouch when shot

Nobody is suggesting that you should maintain zoom when shot

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Ah ok. So I just suck then

Its okay, we all suck because we're olds now :corsair: and the kids who don't suck never played Halo in the first place

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

I forgot how MP games are full of teenagers using ethnic slurs constantly.

I really honest to god don't understand why anybody bothers with voice chat beyond discord. Developers shouldn't even bother.

I never, never want to listen to some random teenager

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bang3r posted:

had to actually set my monitor from 144hz back to 60hz because of the hellacious screen tearing and jittery animations I was getting if I set it uncapped, could only play for 5 minutes before I got a killer headache.

Between that, the audio and a couple of other weird little things I have to sadly shelve this for a little while :smith:

Yeah I'm just running it in borderless windowed mode in 60hz because fullscreen 144hz did seem fucky

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jokes posted:

Don’t lionize Bungie, we’re just not as aware of the nonsense they were up to. I’m sure there’s a few errors that say absurd things like “mister_chief_animate=1” resulting in him just standing still in a cutscene instead of emoting, but we were all just dumb enough to pretend he was being stoic.

Uh, what?

All the bungie games were super insanely fun and popular. Maybe they had some rare bugs but they were extremely playable.

All the 343 games have been complete utter dogshit. MCC on xbox was broken for literal years. Literal YEARS it was unplayable trash. And it was just a port.

"don't lionize bungie" what the gently caress planet are you on lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

i found that in the pistol swat mode i was very consistently doing better in hallways than i was in open areas. in hallways it seemed like i'd run into people who couldn't aim as fast as me, and in open areas it seemed like i would run into people who had better luck with the bloom rng than me. people on the other team using controllers would cause that kind of stuff. it's extremely lame to feel like i have to avoid certain areas of the map because of an rng disadvantage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh6N9PwS6Fc

idk how anyone can look at videos of this and think that it wouldn't have a noticeable impact in multiplayer

Of course its going to have a noticeable impact in multiplayer! That's unavoidable.

They basically have two options:

1. Make everybody use M&KB and you lose if you use controller, no bullet magnetism

2. Leave halo bullet magnetism that was designed for controller-only on if you're on controller, but let people use M&KB

Is there a 3rd option you can come up with?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

just make matchmaking ques where people cannot use controllers, it seems pretty reasonable

That has the problem of splintering the fanbase and making matchmaking take longer, but fair point that is a reasonable alternative 3rd solution.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tighclops posted:

Isn't there a setting where you can turn the aim assist on/off as desired?

Not if you're on KB&M, and either way you can't turn it off for other people, which is what people really want.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Halo 1 def had online multi in MCC on Xbone, I played it

No, it had halo 1 maps for reach engine

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kin posted:

I know halo 5 is kinda poo poo, but is it likely to get a port now that the rest of them are on Steam?

Only Reach is. Maybe after they finish allllll the others, but 5 was so bad there's little demand

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

they made the new forerunner robots be humanoids with floating limbs and ghostrider style flaming skull heads so this is exactly the kind of cutscene i would expect from such visionaries

Also all the forerunner guns were just normal guns but made to look far more generic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

im surprised by how much reach actually taxes my cpu, it's well above the recommended requirements to run the game at 4k 60 fps, but it struggles if i try to run 1080p at 120 fps

The game engine seems to get fucky if you run above 60hz

Hopefully they patch it. 343....

Kin posted:

So every time i boot up multiplayer my head is just a complete bafflement of what the controls are, due to a mix of time and a silly number of hours in Destiny 1/2.

So, just to remind me, there's no sprint (by clicking right trigger), nor is there a crosshair type aim down the barrel (with something like the left trigger).

There's no double jump/glide (which was easy to get over).

Are there any other general mechanics i'm forgetting about?

Sprint exists as an armor ability, so you won't always have one but sometimes you will have a sprint.

All weapons have zoom, but only a few let you shoot while zoomed (sniper rifle, pistol, dmr) this is pretty similar to ADR for the less zoom-y weapons (pistol, dmr) but no, there's no Aim-down-sights per se.

There's a jetpack armor ability.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

That's why firefight loadouts with dropshield are typically called "Medic"

Wow. The More You Know.

(I legit didn't know this)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lunethex posted:

What made Halo 5 so unlikable, like really.

i know someone posted that trailer and all but what, at its core, made halo 5, i guess the word is 'reviled' by the fanbase

So many things sucked balls.

The biggest was the story was a complete disaster.

They pitched the story in all the marketing as this "Master Chief vs Locke" battle, where chief was on the run, and being hunted down, and living as an outlaw.

None of that really exists in the game at all. Locke goes looking for Chief, finds him, and then is like "k, cool" and that's basically it. So huge letdown on false expectations there, of their own making.

Next, Halo 4 killed Cortana, and then Halo 5 brings her back but makes her literally Space Hitler.

Cortana. Like, the strongest character in the entire franchise (because John 117 is just a shell for the player, although 343i have been cocking that up lately) is now completely hammy as EVIL ROBOT and has no depth or nuance anymore. And without her in your head to talk to, the game doesn't work as well. Chief is flat without her as the comedy to his straight man delivery.

The single player was extremely boring and repetitive and I could say a lot of words but the TLDR is its just not fun. Its bad. Its not a good single player. You have AI companions who are completely incompetent and add nothing. You mostly fight Prometheans, the enemies from Halo 4 that suck balls to fight. All the good enemies that Bungie designed are downplayed. Same goes for the guns.

Every level begins with the characters saying things they should already know as an exposition dump because 343i doesn't know how to do storytelling.

The capstone of this is the Warden Eternal. THE boss fight of Halo 5. The final boss you ask? Well, yes, but also the first boss, and the second, and the third... you see where this is going.

You literally fight the same boss like 4 times, and the last time its 3 of him at once. :effort: doesn't even begin to cover what a loving insult that is.

Then multiplayer was completely designed to whore out microtransactions.

All this after Halo 4 already underperformed. They screwed up bad and instead of trying to make amends and fix what they broke, they doubled down on stupid-rear end decisions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

One thing I was never clear about with Halo 5, having never played it: is it a co-op focused game? Because the whole squad thing suggests it is, or was meant to be.

Yes, but ironically it featured no split screen, for the first time in the series

That's some serious :psyduck: design choice

Like I could see dropping splitscreen on a solo focused campaign, buuuut....

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

1.5 on gamepass.

lol they don't have smart patching in windows store or something

that's hilarious

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FWIW as much as Destiny improves on Halo in ways, I find myself really enjoying Halo multi more than Destiny, even now, even today. Even as jank as this port is and as much as Reach is getting old, I just prefer the simplicity and not having all the loving loot guns, and also miss all the classic game modes that Bungie won't put in Destiny for some stupid reason.

Great update.

Holiday event sounds fun enough.

quote:

As part of our ongoing work to assess player feedback across controller and M+KB inputs, the team discovered a legacy mechanic from the original game that was contributing to negative sentiment regarding the feel and responsiveness of playing on M+KB. We have adjusted this mechanic and are interested in what the community thinks of this change. The team will continue to monitor player feedback around controller/M+KB input.

Just goes to show how much of Halo is fundamentally built for controllers, lots of subtle things to be adjusted. But there ya go.

On the one hand, its good they seem to recognize all the major issues (audio, frame rates, vsync, etc.) but on the other hand this is poo poo that should have been nailed down before launch, and this is a loving port not even a full new game or anything. 343i continue to be clowns.

Seeing that Halo 1 & 2 are not far off is really exciting news though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Coolguye posted:

this is why i was looking so fiercely forward to MCC for so long. it is incredibly refreshing to have a shooter that just gives you a hurty stick and tells you to use it against that dingus over there.

Also loving map spawns and all the strategy that goes with it.

Boiling everything down to "heavy ammo" fucks up map design in so so so many ways.

And don't get me started on everybody having a super every 60 seconds that just lets you go invincible and do infinite damage with no skill.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its a real bummer you have to grind for 2,000 hours before you get any fun cosmetic options

I can understand holding a few of them back but man the first like 40 ranks are complete garbage gear, I just kept the defaults on the whole time

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lou Takki posted:

For me and everyone I know who plays Halo it's more like why is there even a progression system? None of give two cents about the armor unlocks or whatever cosmetics exist. I know I'm probably in the minority here though, people seem to like unlocking poo poo but that's why Halo is so good, there is nothing to really unlock and everyone starts on the same footing every match.

343i does not and has never understood what people like about halo.

Bonnie Ross keeps applying Call of Duty business models to Halo and its so loving dumb.

They paid bungie hundreds of millions for this license and have done nothing but gently caress it up since.

MS needs to fire the entire leadership and start fresh but instead they fail upwards into bonuses.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Big update:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-january-2020

Lots of little tweaks, bug fixes, new playlists

Honestly sounds pretty decent

Also some teasers:

They have all the Halo games running on PC internally, which is promising to hear. Working on mouse & keyboard inputs and aspect ratio and stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I haven't played freeze tag in an FPS since ... Unreal Tournament? Quake 3?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Got into some kinda insider beta build for the MCC on PC, downloading it now. Apparently there's no restrictions on streaming it so there'll probably be lots of video of new halo poo poo soon.

I'll post back after the download finishes on whether this includes Halo 1 or what

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yep, it does have Halo 1. And this is the final phase 4 of the closed testing, so its probably gonna go live very soon, they're just testing it on different hardware for bugs or whatever.

It runs really smooth on PC, and being able to flip back and forth instantly between classic and remastered graphics is pretty great. :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

celewign posted:

Are we going to get halo CE multiplayer? I'd like to play some hang em high

Yep

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FPzero posted:

I love this series but I'm starting to rapidly lose hope right now. Launching Reach without Forge was such a huge mistake. My brother and I have been keeping an eye on player counts and it fails to crack 4000 active daily players regularly. I know everyone's probably waiting for the next game update for it but without easy Forge access there's been no reason for tons of people to stick around. Couple that with the other bugs the release has had and we're both feeling pretty negative about the whole thing. 343 were sitting on gold with this release, but they fumbled everything post-launch, and the initial peak sales and players peak was people coming back for the fun of it, and then everyone left. I hope people return for Halo 1 and keep playing until the rest come out, but it sucks that my favorite game of them all launched first, was missing half its options that usually keep players around, and shed the rest of its playerbase as quickly as it did.

dude what dimension are you in?

Halo is dead. Its been dead for a long time. Halo 4 AND Halo 5 both sucked donkey balls.

This is just a relic project to port the old games to PC so we can play the good games Bungie made without having to be on Xbox. This game, the MCC, came out YEARS AGO on Xbox, and was itself a port of games that came out even more years ago on an even further past xbox console.

What hope do you have? What do you think this is? Where do you think you are?

If any of this was going to be anything but a disaster, it should have launched on PC when it launched on Xbox like 3 years ago. But the Xbox launch alone had endless disastrous errors. Did you hear nothing of that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tighclops posted:

If it's like this now how do they expect to sell their new Halo game to people?

....what planet are you guys on?

Halo is dead. This is an attempt to squeeze the last bit of money left. I bought it because Halo 1-3 + ODST + Reach are good and I want them on PC.

If you think this is going to be the next big eSport or something you're hilariously misinformed.

My dudes the Master Chief Collection was released in 2014. And it was a disaster that took years to slowly fix. What do you think you're playing here?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Halo Infinite has been losing critical staff members, hasn't been marketed at all, has had no leaks, no teasers, nothing. Compare that to DOOM: Eternal.

That game is going to flop so incredibly hard that the belly whack against the surface of the water is going to be heard in orbit.

It'll be the Anthem of its year.

No, being the Anthem would require it to have some amount of excitement and hype.

Its going to release like a fart in the wind and nobody's going to even remark on how stinky it was.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jokes posted:

Halo 5 was fun MP. Different, but fun.

Definitely was better than Halo 4 MP. But they got greedy pushing the micro-transactions too hard and it left a bad taste in everybody's mouth.

Also too many different ideas, arena and warzone and reqs just got weird. Arena was decent though, and Warzone wasn't a terrible idea just a bad implementation. Needed more balance passes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

My theory is that pc games have a lot more competition for player's time. Any time playing halo reach on pc is time spent not playing Dota, counter strike, Overwatch, Garry's mod, you know the list goes on and on.

On consoles there's actually not that many compared to pc where there's probably people playing the old doom and quake games.

So player counts on pc dwindle really fast. Console call of duty sustain a lot higher % of players than pc over time since launch. I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox players for mcc are 5-10x the number of pc players (and to be fair, Xbox has all the halos now)

As for halo infinite, it's gonna be on gamepass so I'll at least check it out. Gamepass is a really good reason to have an Xbox these days, I can play effectively giant demos of games like metro exodus, gears 5 or Dmc5 and buy them on my platform of choice (ps4)

I dunno about the idea that "consoles don't have many games"

There's always some other game you can be playing, regardless of platform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Frustrated posted:

The Halo CE multiplayer options are pretty disappointing right now. The only competitive option is 2v2 harcore slayer (which is a great mode) but there is no 4v4 or any sort of competitive ctf for Halo CE. I was also unable to get a custom game running with other people.

OTOH I've been playing 4v4 Halo 1 casuals all day doing slayer and CTF and its good times