Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I'm playing through Reach right now and the military-esque lingo seems to take away from it a bit compared to the other Halos. I liked the more casual dialogue that Masterchief, Johnson and Cortana had. That being said the actual gameplay itself seems to be better than Halo 4. I found the fights, particularly the ones with the new enemies in Halo 4 to be significantly less fun than the previous games. It feels like 343 is more invested in lore than actual fun.

Also, The arbiter seems more useful than any of the Reach NPCs, although I could just be biased because I like him better as a character.

When it comes to Multiplayer I've taken 4 and reach out of my rotation. I like how 1,2 and 3 are pure areana shooters. I don't like how reach introduced loadouts and 4 introduced killstreak-esque rewards. If I wanted to play Call of Duty I would play Call of duty.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

So I’ve finished Halo 1 and 2 and am working my way through Halo 3. These games are still rocking my socks. However, I’ve never dabbled in Halo multiplayer. Is it fun/worth getting into, and what are the best games/modes to play. I took a glance at the multiplayer menu briefly and it looks daunting.

Halo multiplayer is a blast. There is a reason it was one of the games to play when it came out.

The multiplayer menu really isn't that bad when you actually look at it. It's how many people you want in your game, what type of game you want to play and which version of halo you want to play in.

Has anyone else noticed that some maps are in the rotation much more than others? It feels like Ghost town in particular is the map for every other match I play.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Is there any way to include multiple game sizes in your list when searching?

I would love to be able to just have one list that throws me into 4v4, 8v8 or 8FFA

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Personally I don't understand all the graphical criticism for Halo infinite. To me it just looked like the earlier Halos but with better graphics. I've seen some complaints that some of the stuff looks plasticy but imo all the Halos have had that look. The only thing I saw that bugged me about the engine graphics was the teeth on the brute at the end.

What disturbs me more is 343's design direction on weaponry, notably for human weapons. Halo always had these crazy cool but kind of weird impractical designs that are super sci-fi, even if they would probably be a bit impractical. 343's designs though always just seem super mundane and straight out of COD. I don't want rails and a red dot look alike on my space rifle. They even took the huge thing off the end of the pistol and made it look like a generic COD pistol.

The things that are of more concern to me are their design philosophies for the game and it's gameplay. Particularly the idea of open world. I don't want open world. The games that pull off open world based campaigns well are few and far between. Those that do the actual missions generally largely take place in non-open world, linear levels environments. Open world usually comes down to a bunch of missions that feel the same paired with a ton of filler content. For every game like GTA out there you have 20 games like Far Cry.

It also kind of bugs me that they show a warthog with only chief driving as part of the demo. One of the cool things about the bungie halo games was you were always part of something big. Pretty much anytime they gave you a warthog they gave you some dudes with it. It made the game feel more alive. I feel like they didn't capture that feeling very well with Halo 4, and it looks like they aren't going to capture that feeling again in infinite.

I think it would be cool if 5 eventually came to MCC although I heard the campaign was awful. Honestly I would just like to launch all my halo stuff from the same platform.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

You have to remember the context that this is the first we're seeing of Xbox Series X and MS is using Halo Infinite to tout its new graphics powerhouse.

This isn't just a current gen game, this is their flagship next-gen game. But it looks last-gen. That's the thing.

Its not like, completely hideous. Its just not anything we haven't seen before in ANY way.

Also, if you think this looks remotely acceptable, check out some video of Doom Eternal. It absolutely eats this for lunch and makes it look 3 generations old.

Like, Crysis 1 looked better than Halo Infinite does. Again, that's not the end of the world, and games like Team Fortress 2 showed that style > detail, but the point is this is MS big "check out how beefy our console is" example.

And it falls as flat as them announcing "4K GAMING! Check out....... 4K....... MINECRAFT!"

I played through all of Doom Eternal. I guess I didn't feel it was miles better than what they showed.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Like, of course? Lol. Halo should also have a good engine and a good art style, maybe?

The art style of Halo is good. If they were to drastically change the style it wouldn't feel much like Halo anymore. Look at how there complaints over the Halo 4/5 suit designs which aren't even big departures from the bungie designs. The community would be in an uproar if you did a large art style change. There are even issues with engines, You could take Halo and put it ID tech, Unreal engine or cryengine and it wouldn't feel like Halo, because each of those engines has a unique look that deviates from how all prior halo games look.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I don't feel like I'm holding Halo to a different standard. I legitimately think it looks good and like a next generation version of Halo. To me Halo Infinite in comparison to other upcoming titles looks how Halo 5 looked to other 2015 titles.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Like the Cole Protocol makes sense in a fatalistic way. (wipe a ship's navigational system if boarded, self destruct in a worst case scenario, or plot blind jumps when retreating to keep the location of human planets secret).

But the Winter Contingency protocols are loving insane. You put a planet under martial law, and then compartmentalize everything so there's no chance of information leaks, with the side effect of nobody except for ONI (who are evil and incompetent) knowing what the hell is going on until its too late.

{..stuff..}

So, you have troops fighting without support for a month., a badly planned kidnapping mission, a ruthless doctor and her manipulative AI stealing resources for their own ends, and the Office of Naval Intelligence sacrificing an entire planet for no good reason and then getting desperate when nearly two dozen Spartan II supersoldiers and God knows how many Spartan IIIs died in a single day.

Is this explained in the game or is this all novel/extended universe stuff? I'm a decent way through reach the game (I think like 75% ish) and none of this stuff has come through.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I really hate all these retcons :smith:

The one retcon I really want is for Cortana to be retconned in such a fashion that we can have another game where she has the same lighthearted relationship she does with MC as she does in Halo:CE.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

jokes posted:

I don't know how the aliens could possibly have zero idea that Earth exists, considering they can capture and torture prisoners and have full-fledged prison districts in High Charity. At some point someone will break.

I thought it was less that they didn't know it existed and more that they didn't know where it is? That seems reasonable to me or at least well within the realm of suspense of disbelief. If I lived in a universe where people lived in multiple star systems, I have no idea how I would explain where earth was. I mean you would know it was in a system with 8 planets (or 9 depending on who you talk to) and a yellow sun, but past that? I doubt people are going to know distances very well and definitely not coordinates. It's not even like you can say "it's on the north side of the street" since it's 3d space without a good reference point. Hell, with GPS some people struggle to give directions to place they go on a regular basis in the same city.

Then again maybe I didn't pay close enough attention. If they actually don't have any idea that earth exists that is pretty laughable.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I posted about this a few days ago but I completely agree. It's telling that the second level of Halo 4 is only the second time across the entire franchise that the Chief jumps into a Warthog by himself, the only other time being the Warthog Run on the Maw.

And the maw was it's own thing and really cool in it's own right. I don't know if people new to the series get the same feeling I did back in 2001 playing that level, but it was so awesome at the time. I was so used to boss fights or being forced to kill lots of super hard dudes, that having to just blitz through dudes in a race against the clock felt epic and different. Even different (in a good way) from other parts of the game with a warthog.

The stuff in the gameplay footage looks just like trying to cruise around the Halo level with no gunner and that would have stunk.

Gobblecoque posted:

5 is the game that was so bad they didn't even bother including it in the MCC right?

I mean yeah I heard terrible things about it so I never bought it. But I still watched so videos of it. I mean at the point I feel like the only good game 343 has released is a collection of bungies games, and even that took them a few years to get right. Wasn't MCC plagued by a huge amount of problems when it first came out on Xbox One? I had a lot of friends who were really interested in it than kind of fizzled by off how many bugs they ran into.

That's going to really depend on how they implement it. It could be fine, it could also be awful. So long as there is nothing that changes gameplay at all in what you buy and it's all cosmetic I'm fine with it. Then again I'm pretty casual about multiplayer. I enjoy it but don't get super sweaty and don't care too much about unlocks.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 31, 2020

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

The madness of Halo CE genades is one of the things I love about CE. Also, when it comes to explosions, I wish at least the rocket launcher retained it's huge explosions in latter games so it was harder to use in close quarters.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

With how hosed the story seems right now, I could go for a halo game where Arb is the main character.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I still think Halo 3 has the best levels. I like how they don't have the repetition that was present in Halo 1 and they also don't have the Gondola levels of Halo 2. It definitely would have been cool if they did more with the arbiter but I still really enjoy the game as it is. I would love if they did a Halo 3 remastered and maybe added in a few more cutscenes or elaborated on existing cutscenes like they did in H2A.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I hate the Library more than Cortana. The library is just so drat repetitive. The Dialogue breaks don't actually bother me all that much in Cortana. The turret flood are really annoying, but at least the level isn't the same hallway over and over again.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Infinite looks like so much Destiny its crazy.

I had this feeling to. Especially with how they talked about how they wanted to just keep adding more content to halo infinite instead of releasing more halo games. It feels like Destiny expansions.

The problem is I didn't like destiny. If I wanted to play destiny I would go play destiny. I don't. I want to play Halo with it's designed linear levels, no open world filler content and arena based multiplayer.

I'm not against innovation, but it seems like a lot of what 343 has done has been more of a "everyone else is doing it" kind of thing as opposed to something that think would actually benefit the world and game experience.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I wish Halo 3 MP had some variations of modes where you started with covenant weapons. Like I would love if some games in precision slayer you started with a BR, but other games you started with a carbine. Or some Slayer games you start with an AR others, you start with a PR.

I think would just be cool to see the covenant weapons get more use, and add a little variety without really actually changing the balance of the game.

Then again what can I say, I just like covenant weapons. I love my bright and shiny sci-fi with pew pew sounds and flashing lights.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I feel like I generally see positive things about H5 multiplayer at least compared to H4. Granted as a person who mostly plays for the campaign, the complaints I heard about the campaign led led me not to buy it. If wikipedia is to be believed though it still sold pretty well with several million copies sold. I think that while it was disappointing in many ways it was still quite profitable.

I think while 343's games have generally not really been appreciated by the fanbase they have still been quite financially successful. So while we may hate what they're doing and may consider their games flops in that regard, they have still made a lot of money. Even if that money is riding on the coattails of bungie, it's still not like they are making games that are barely breaking even or losing money.

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously? How much H5 are you still playing? There is literally 0 posting going on about H5 on these forums, compared to all the many other FPS which are wildly popular right now.

I would like to point out that Halo 5 is 5 years old at this point. Most games from 5 years ago aren't getting a ton of posting.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 5, 2020

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Let's be honest here, even if Halo Infinite is bad it still won't flop. There is too much marketing behind it, too much history with the serious and none of the previous games have been bad enough to drive that many people away. The amount of players hoping that it will be good is too high especially with the "return to roots" marketing.

I feel like the devs really need to sit down and figure out what Halo is. Like really nail down what those elements are that made the first 3 halo games so popular and fun (both for MP and SP). Double down on and refine those elements and cut the other poo poo out. This was something I felt like iD did with DOOM in 2016 and part of why the game was so good. It's what Halo should be doing now instead of adding open world, grappling hooks and weapons that look like they are out of COD.

General Battuta posted:

Four had one of the best campaigns in the series.

I felt like they story with Chief and Cortana was well done in 4 but a lot of the other stuff was lacking. The new enemies weren't as much fun to fight, the levels weren't as memorable and it was just missing a lot of subtleties to really bring it home. Because of this, for me, while the story was good I still found the campaign overall sub par to the campaigns of any of the original 3. And while I've replayed the campaigns from the original 3 an unhealthy amount of times, I don't have the desire to go and replay 4 again at all.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 5, 2020

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I feel like the popularity of arena shooters overall has declined significantly since the days of Halo CE and even Halo 3. I suppose it could just be that new good ones haven't been released. When CE was released both Quake 3 and UT99 enjoyed huge popularity on PC. When Halo 2 was released UT2k4 enjoyed a lot of popularity. It seems like most arena shooters since then have either fallen flat or enjoyed very limited audiences. As arena shooters are my favorite fps multiple I've found this disappointing. I've been glad I've had good luck finding matches for H3 on PC and it's part of why I really hope infinite is good and well received.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I could have horribly rose colored glasses, but I remember the Halo 3 skill based matchmaking on the 360 being pretty good. I was never great at the game so my rank never got super high, but I found I felt that a lot of the games were with people comparable to me in skill level. I never felt like I people were were miles better or worse than I was. The social games on the 360 were the ones where I'd run into people who just destroyed me.

I haven't actually tried the competitive games yet in MCC though. I definitely get destroyed in a fair amount of the social games though, esp swat.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I was satisfied with the ending of Halo 3. For me it is only 2 that didn't have a satisfying ending.

So I was playing "Oracle" last night as I'm slowly working my way through a H2 legendary playthrough. There is a door in one of the rooms that on Anniversary graphics the door stays red even after it your supposed to be able to go through it. I think it has screwed me up every time I've played the level. I end up getting really confused, can't figure out where to go, before I inevitably switch to classic graphics and see that I can go through the door (which changes to blue in classic).

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 10, 2020

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

I actually think it hit you over the head with it's awful narrative but that you just sorta block it out over time.

I still think it's better than 95% of other fps narratives out there.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I'm probably behind the times a bit but I just learned that apparently Infinite isn't going to be fully open world, more just unlock the world as you go. I see this as a positive. On the other hand they said you can go back and find armor upgrades which I see as a huge negative. If halo goes full destiny and rpg elements and whatnot I'll be kind of upset.

The Earth missions make more sense story wise in Halo 2 than 3, but I like the missions better in 3 than I do 2.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

This is the stupidest complaint, but I the menu background for the MCC doesn't feel very HALOesque to me. It's got a few moments where you see like the BR or the AR, but for the most part lots of bullets and some gun parts just feels more COD to me.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I always felt the huge grenades added a bit of chaos in a good way to the game. They are probably terrible at a competitive level, but for when you are just goofing around with your friends they made things a lot of fun. I even see this in online MP. Sure I die to all kinds of crazy explosions and grenades fly everywhere, but I have a lot of un while it's happening.

That isn't to say other Halo MPs are bad by any means, in many ways they are more balanced or better, but CE has that extra bit of chaos that isn't replicated in subsequent games.

I don't know how you would make it into an actual gametype, but I use to always enjoy doing warthog jousting with friends in CE. Spawn as many warthogs as possible in blood gulch. Everyone takes a warthog out to the center of the map and tries to knock each other out and run each other over. No using weapons unless your knocked out of your warthog in the center of the map. Worked even better in the PC version where you could have unused warhogs respawn back at the bases.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I'd rather have stuff pushed out for a solid release then have everything rushed to hit a specific date. Pushing out to 2021 is probably a good thing.

I suppose this does mean that the series X doesn't have much if anything going for it though. Then again I think the series X was already going to have lots of issues. Honestly even the name is problematic as it's far too close to the already existing xbox one x.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I tried playing MP with a controller last night for the first time and hot drat the difference is huge. It's weird to feel like my aim is so much worse but I hit so much more often. They definitely need to do some work balancing controller schemes.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The aim assist on controller makes strafe shooting way more reliable. It also means that games of Snipers are heavily slanted towards controller players.

I noticed it a lot with the battle rifle as well.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

What are people's thoughts on the lowered reticle versus center screen reticle?

I absolutely hate the lowered reticle. Center screen reticle is standard on so many games and has been standard for so long that having it elsewhere feels very wrong to me. I believe the lowered reticle actually caused me to shelve halo 2 as it bugged me so much.

The center reticle is so much better.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

On console with a far away tv I think its a smart move. On PC you can do whatever you want, and its probably less necessary with a giant monitor in your face.

As much as I hated the low reticle on PC, it didn't bother me at all on console. I think the different distance from the screen couple with Halo being practically the only shooter I played on console helped a lot.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Controller vs Kb/M is...interesting. It feels very different across the different games. Halo 3 feels very slanted towards the controller, but Halo CE feels biased towards keyboard and mouse.

Skins are so silly but I'm enjoying unlocking them. I'm glad Halo 3 will be the next game to get skins. I doubt they will do it but I would love if they would make it so you could use customized MC colors in the campaign.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 14, 2020

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Xinlum posted:

I played for the first time in a bit and I definitely think if anything Halo 3 definitely has less aim assist than 2 or Reach. 2 and Reach play pretty much like I remember on console.

Halo 1 definitely seems like the netcode was messed with from HPC. It's not as bad as I remember from the gearbox port but still seems off. Gearbox I remember as basically requiring you to lead shots quite a distance.

I feel like I'm not good enough to notice things like this or maybe just not playing enough multiplayer. Been playing lots of singleplayer though. I think I may have gone slightly insane as I finished a level on LASO last night.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

New visor colors and what not fit in perfectly with Halo since you were already bright colors.

I'm glad to hear about the upcoming halo 3 hit fixes. Anyone in the flight that has been able to test them out yet?

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I thought if a vehicle blew up you died in all of the Halos

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Much as I love masterchief's trademark green armor, I would love if with all of these extra amor options 343 gave us the option to use customized armor in the campaign.

Also that sucks about marty being an rear end in a top hat. I'm kind of curious what the details are but I'm at work and most gaming sites are blocked.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Any word on odst will be finished testing yet?

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I still don't really understand why Halo 2 Anniversary Multiplayer looks so bad. The single player looks great, but the multiplayer has this looks that makes me feel like I'm constantly playing at a really low resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Even with infinite out I keep coming back to MCC. A lot of stuff in it just feels better to me than stuff in infinite. The hits on guns feel a lot better. The progression system and challenges feel better. It's nice having more map variety (although some of this comes from the earlier halos having DLC and infinite being new). I like how the vehicle spawns aren't random. I suppose in some ways it's goofy but I really like this seasons armor. I just finished the season and the Halo 3 helmet with the small wings on the side is my favorite helmet they've released so far.

Not to mention being able to actually play the campaign with friends and replay the campaign missions.