Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
The weapon switch button either shot the bomb thing or switched your weapon to it in the console version, so it sort of makes sense. I admit that it took me a long time to realize as well.

Changing your spawn point after dying in invasion mode was also a bit difficult to find, you have to use the arrow keys. Dunno why they didn't just use WASD for it :shrug:

turn off the TV posted:

also it turns that the save and quit function doesn't necessarily restart you from exactly where you left off for whatever reason

This was the original design if I remember correctly, it just restarts you from a checkpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
Halo is such a comparatively slow-paced FPS that I can't imagine playing with a controller mattering that much. With a controller you'll be mostly sacrificing turn speed to gain autoaim for targets that'll mostly move kinda slowly anyways. I know there will be situations where autoaim will be really useful vs mouse aim, yes, but I don't really see it being a huge issue.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
Bungie did, but they handed it over to 343 some time after launch iirc. I think it's pretty universally agreed that the game went in a worse direction immediately afterwards.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Lunethex posted:

Well, at least they started with it first. It'd have been the wettest fart to end the staggered releases on. Can't wait to see Halo 2 and especially 3, but Halo: CE is gonna be good mindless fun for a while. Too bad there's no Firefight-like mode for it though, that'd own.

They're ending with Halo 4, so we're going to get that wet fart anyway :haw:

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
Man, in retrospect I'm glad I didn't get to play Halo multiplayer when CE was new. It would probably have turned me off the entire series' multiplayer aspect. The maps range from passable to terrible, the pistol is the only weapon worth using and the spawn system especially is just dire.

I'm really interested in seeing how accurate my memories of Halo 2 multiplayer are. I don't remember it being such a shitshow CE multiplayer seems to be.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
Invasion has always been the best Reach multiplayer mode and it's a goddamn shame it had so few actual maps. It had plenty of issues of its own, but at least it wasn't nonstop DMR fuckery.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
drat. I'm glad I paid attention to none of the hype back then, even though I was excited for the sequel. I was happy as a clam when the game released, and blissfully unaware of the poo poo they had to redo or cut.

This kind of poo poo really feels like it was Bungie's MO from start to finish, at least with the Halo franchise. I wonder how many of the issues with the remake are caused by Bungie's (assumed) spaghetti code vs 343's (assumed) incompetence. People love to bash 343 and maybe rightfully so, but I'm getting a feeling that at least some of the problems stem from Bungie's way of doing things and from the fact that much of the poo poo from og xbox times has become...well, arcane. Case in point being the sound issues with Reach.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

abraham linksys posted:

does the Banshee get better in later games because right now I absolutely loving hate using this thing

Not really, no.

What do you hate about it? In later games you have a speed boost and can do tricks with it, but otherwise it handles pretty much the same.

Pursued by bees fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 13, 2020

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
I don't think there were any grenade indicators before 4. Getting owned by grenade chain reactions is the Official Halo CE Experience :v:

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

alf_pogs posted:

the line that comes out of left field for me is in H4 when suddenly the covenant are suddenly somehow "more fanatic than the others"

That was so drat dumb. Sure Chief, more fanatic than the Covenant who resorted to suicide tactics just to kill one Spartan. Yeah.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

TheGreySpectre posted:

Is this explained in the game or is this all novel/extended universe stuff? I'm a decent way through reach the game (I think like 75% ish) and none of this stuff has come through.

It's all outside of the games, and they are better for it. It's mostly just fun space opera action if you stick to the games.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
Yeah, it's in Reach multiplayer. I think it's still in the competitive category.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

alf_pogs posted:

any tips for Boneyard in Reach Invasion? I am routinely the sucker Elite rolling uselessly towards death in the first round

Pray for good teammates and play something else when you start getting pissed off. First round of Boneyard is rough for elites.

Only real tip I can give is to try and sneak to point A if your entire team is on point B and vice versa. You might get a few seconds off the counter while the spartans are busy dealing with your teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
It's such a shame Boneyard phase 1 is heavily skewed against elites because the following phases are so much more fun with both sides. Winning the first phase as spartans feels more like a punishment than victory because you don't get to play with any of the cool toys.