Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
If you want to try it out but don't want to commit you can get 3 months of game pass for $1 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/cfq7ttc0khs0/000F?rtc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Is the Reach campaign worth playing through or is MP the real gem?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

freeman posted:

Can you party up for MP between steam and xbox (pc)?

No cross-play.

EDIT:

Woops, misread that, yeah the PC versions can play together.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 3, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

freeman posted:

Can you actually party up with friends on the different PC platforms? Like if I boot up from Steam can I invite friends who have it on the Windows Store?

I'm pretty sure the Steam exe. will just open up the Microsoft launcher so everyone gets thrown into the same platform anyway.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The MCC being completely broken on launch is just tradition now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Even max FOV still feels tight lol.

Anyone else having an issue where you're in the middle of a match and the screen goes black and the scoreboard comes up for 5 seconds and then you reload into the match and select your class again? I don't understand why it is happening.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

wuggles posted:

I played one really bad game and one really good game, and then tried some campaign. The audio is mixed very poorly and there are no subtitles outside of cinematics so I truly had no idea what was being said to me.

I don't understand what would be so hard about putting in dialogue subtitles during gameplay, a deaf person isn't going to stand a chance knowing what to do in some spots.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Completing a Firefight level is meant to be a rare thing right? I haven't managed to have a round where we survived past 15 minutes.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Normal Firefight's p easy if you take cover and hold a point but Generator Defense usually leads to two of them dying almost immediately, whether or not you put them in lockdown.

I've only had one normal game (the rest Generator) and that was the one that was the most easy for sure.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Lunethex posted:

I only have one question about Reach in general:

The only way to unlock more customizations for my character is by playing non-cooperative multiplayer of which I have no interest in playing?

Like, it can be the silly social games like grifball and stuff as well, not just the ranked competitive matchmaking. Firefight unlocks stuff doesn't it? I thought the unlock tokens were linked to rank promotions.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
This drat matchmaker needs to have a confirmation for at least a few seconds to make sure you aren't actually idle as 100% of the time I'm not.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I enjoy playing this games MP. Haven't played Halo MP since the Halo CE MP demo in 2003. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46AFpTwKvLk&feature=emb_title

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 5, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

The Drop Shield is an armor ability in Halo Reach. You can spawn with it as well as have it as a map spawn.

I wonder what the timeline for adding the next games is? They took their time with Reach and it still had some issues in the port.

If Halo CE is out in February then it should all be done by this time next year - who knows if it won't be a huge mess that takes another 2 years to fix though. Reach did get delayed half a year and still has problems.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Didn't people cry out for the Assault Rifle to return in Halo 3 after 2 replaced it with the DMR?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Turns out I don't miss voice chat

I forgot how MP games are full of teenagers using ethnic slurs constantly.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Odd posted:

Is there a synopsis of all the different Multiplayer modes in Reach? Having never played halo MP in any form before, opening the multiplayer menu was... daunting. I managed to play uhhh, 3 games, didn't really understand what was going on, and died a lot. I also somehow got one season 'point' and got a helmet or something.

Grifball is about hammering your BFF into the couch.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

wtf

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
This won't interfere with the anti-cheat stuff at all, will it?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Missionary Positron posted:

How do I git gud in this game, I keep getting owned match after match :mad: . Is it just a matter of mastering DMR headshots?

Switch gamemode to any and then deselect everything but Grifball.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

It sucks a lot that people can't join games in progress for whatever reason

Nothing worse than having to sit around in a 1 vs 4 because your team bailed within the first 10 seconds of the match.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Do bullets not work on other players? Or do you specifically have to get headshots to kill people? My two kills were through grenades and melee.

I believe the Swat gamemode has it that only headshots will do any damage.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Also looking at radar from time to time. I knew people who played Halo for years and still never looked at radar.

This is me. When the radar gets turned off in Firefight I can't even tell.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I think Microsoft would rather forget Halo 5 happened.

Though apparently it had fairly good MP.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I like that they're making a new Halo and nobody seems to care

Eh, no one really knows what it's trying to be yet - I'm sure they'll bombard everyone with ads when it's a launch title for the new xbox.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

The Kins posted:

A minor patch has been squeezed out before the holiday break, improving KB+M aiming when taking damage and fiddling with the matchmaking playlists, among a couple of minor tweaks.

I'm surprised I needed to download 1.5 gbs for this.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

What? My patch was less than 100mb on steam.

1.5 on gamepass.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

So I'm a little puzzled, because it says on the Steam entry for Halo:CE "You require the base game Halo the Master chief collection to play this game."

But it also looks like you can just buy it as a stand-alone?

The Halo MCC is basically just a launcher and each game a DLC.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait what the hell is the plot of Halo Infinite, I can't even tell

I have no idea how it's following from anything that happened in Halo 5 but I believe that it's revolving around the Brutes trying to activate a ring to wipe out Humanity.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The art style does come across as very plasticy - but it's going to be way too late to fix that now. The Original trailer they showed the other year had the same look. It honestly gives me similar vibes to Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I love the DMR.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

FPzero posted:

If master chief is so cool and can single-handedly change the tide of everything, why was he chilling out in a space capsule for the whole time Reach happened?

Luck.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

jokes posted:

I don't know how the aliens could possibly have zero idea that Earth exists, considering they can capture and torture prisoners and have full-fledged prison districts in High Charity. At some point someone will break.

Well I'm sure they know Earth is a thing but that doesn't help them find it, don't the ships AI handle all the calculations for FTL?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1289298976550731776

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The only thing I've been impressed with in regards to raytracing is Minecraft.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I've played like 20 rounds of Ghost Town this weekend

Why do the MCC servers seem to prefer that map so much? I swear 4 out of 5 games is Ghost Town!

Halo 3 has some good maps but the dlc ones are kinda so-so in my opinion, and yet it feels like I never get to play anything else.

I've only gotten put on it once and I've played a few dozen Halo 3 matches since it launched.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've discovered that I hate Snipers matches so I'm happy I can specifically remove it from the game type Playlist.

I liked them until it became clear that the top players had just started using controllers to get a 4:1 score ratio over everyone else.

I'm playing Halo 3 campaign finally and it seems like a pretty big narrative downgrade over two. Chief has like 3 lines, the Arbiter doesn't talk much and is only with you for some parts of some missions. Johnson gets the most lines but he's never really doing anything but saying how badly he's getting hosed up. And Truth's new Voice Actor sucks.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

Halo 3 has issues but I'll be god damned if Terence Stamp is among em

Okay he's not a bad VA but it's a downgrade over Halo 2's truth for sure. Halo 3 Truth just comes across as a stereotypical bad guy with no nuance.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So if Infinite is open world can we finally walk off the edge of Halo?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I think the Marines look pretty stupid in CEA, feels like a FakeFactory mod from Half Life 2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I feel Halo 2 told a story with characters. Halo 3 was 8 hours of set pieces - good gameplay but not much of a narrative.