Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Picked this up today. I haven't played Halo Reach before, just the first three games. Was the audio mix always this bad on the 360 release, or was something borked in the PC port? I've got music blasting while my guns sound like they were recorded in a tumble dryer three miles down the road. Super muffled.

Also seems like they've taken the approach of not letting us have advanced graphics options, and for some reason the customization tab for helmets doesn't preview the appearance unlike every other customization tab.

That being said, the gameplay is still Halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Less Fat Luke posted:

Audio being hosed is a known issue with the original codec code missing, they're supposedly still working to fix it.

Is that a Reach only big or is it present in CE and 2 as well?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whoever made the space section in Long Night of Solace should be fired holy poo poo it is terrible. Who needs a minimal to tell you where enemy ships are? Just wait for five seraphs to come up on your tail and kill you in five seconds flat! It's okay though, they gave you a thruster boost that does nothing to let you outrun shots.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 12, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had to take a break from the Reach campaign and I booted up Combat Evolved. Man, the gameplay of Reach kinda pales in comparison. Beyond the hosed up audio bug, the weapons in Reach really feel anemic compared to CE, where it's a lot easier to see how your damage is registered by enemies. Elites flinch when you land shots on them that gives you a good idea of the damage you're inflicting, while in Reach Elites can tank DMR headshots without reacting, and the shield effect is too subdued to easily tell when you're breaking through. I don't know if the lack of flinching or enemy reaction to getting shot was part of OG Reach or if it's another bug in the PC port, but man does Reach feel like a gameplay downgrade in a lot of ways, but most of all in game feel. It feels quite sloppy, actually.

I'm also not really enjoying the way Reach tells its nonexistent story. I get that it's supposed to be the story of defending a planet, but there's pretty much no connective tissue between missions and it's jarring to go from one level to the next with only the barest mention of what just happened. It feels scattershot. Now, the Halo games have never really been creative with their storytelling, but the flow of Combat Evolved's narrative in the first half is so, so good. You start off on the back foot, you end up on the Ring, gather survivors, launch a desperate rescue mission and then go on the offensive and it all builds naturally from one level to the next, raising the stakes with each passing moment. My favourite bit of Reach so far was the start of Long Night of Solace because it reminded me so much of the beachhead assault from Silent Cartographer. It's not as good, but it was pretty close. I know once the Flood show up the game's story will switch to fast forward and get a lot more spotty, but even then I think it would be rather better told than Reach.

That said, Combat Evolved Anniversary has some issues. First of all, oof, with visuals set on "Enhanced" I haven't seen pixelation that bad since the sharpening filter on Witcher 2. Makes the entire screen look like it was rendered on fabric. The visual upgrade is impressive, but it also makes it harder to navigate, since there's so many glowy things it obscures the glowy bits you need to interact with. I was stuck at the light bridge on Halo for ten minutes because I forgot about the ramp to the control console and it blended into the more detailed background.

Haven't been able to get any multiplayer matches going, has everyone migrated to Halo 2 multiplayer from the Reach game rooms?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 13, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel that the elites shields regenerate way too fast in reach. Weapons that break shields don't kill as fast once shields are down, so it's usually better to switch to your secondary once the shield is down, but the window is so small that you're better off killing them with the same gun you dropped the shields with to start. It wastes ammo. In Halo CE you have enough time to switch to your secondary so you can plasma off a shield and then finish with bullets, and the dual wielding from 2 and 3 let you kill even quicker.

And the assault rifle clip having half the ammunition as before pretty much cripples it for doing anything other than killing grunts

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I finished the Reach campaign. I liked the second half better than the first. The end scene of Long Night of Solace might as well have been the point where the game decided to actually try to tell a continuous story. Exodus was probably my favourite level.
It's interesting how loading times probably played a role in making the ending land harder. As the MCC plays out, the Autumn takes off, the opening to CE plays and then you immediately jump back to Reach to survive until Six's inevitable death, and it takes like two seconds for scene transitions. Felt a bit rushed, when a black screen hiding a loading bar was probably used on the 360 edition to evoke some buildup.

Storywise I still don't think it was that good, but like I said it did get a bit better in the latter half. Six without orders decides to take part in the evacuation efforts, which already has more setup in a thirty second cutscene than the first five missions of the game which felt super disjointed from one another. I think the biggest failing is the lack of character across Noble Team. The only one who got fleshed out at all was Jorge because he's a II instead of a III and he had some actual empathy. Six isn't a silent character, but they have no character at all. Even the Rookie had a personality in ODST, much as that games cast was just recycled Firefly character traits. Six just has nothing.

Character deaths felt undeserved and melodramatic apart from Jorge, which was weird considering how emotionally distant the story was until then. Kat gets unceremoniously headshotted and gets a freaking Pieta reference, Carter does a heroic sacrifice, and Emil (his death was pretty good I'll admit) just got stabbed.

I dunno, it felt like their heart wasn't really in the story that much and was instead an excuse to string together disparate assignments ala the Modern Warfare games, only with less skill. Hell I didn't even realize Dot was an AI assigned to Noble Team until the second Sword Base mission. It was just lacking context for so much stuff that happened in the course of the campaign.

The combat started to click some more, but outside of the jetpack I really never found a use for the other armour upgrades besides sprinting, and it got a little tiring how the later levels felt like they were just previewing multiplayer mechanics.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dunno, I feel like Reach could have used at least a little levity. When Halo forgets to have fun with itself it becomes a really depressing setting where the UNSC uses borderline (or in ONI's case, outright) fascist martial law enforcement. I like being a superhero in Halo 1-3. They took it way too far with Chief becoming space marine Jesus in Halo 4 (besides, Sanguinius is already Space Marine Jesus) but the more cartoony edge of the trilogy balanced against the melodrama of saving the universe while still maintaining a level of gravitas appeals to me.

I do think that Halo games can tell different stories with different moods. I just don't think Reach really tells its story all that well and it's lack of engaging characters harms it. There's parts in it that work (Emile quietly saying "race you there" as you make a run for the Autumn was oddly touching) but as an overall work of storytelling it feels too disjointed, since the first half feels like vignettes of the battle for Reach while the second half settles for being the direct lead into Combat Evolved.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay hold the phone, there are collectible audio logs in combat evolved anniversary? I didn't even realize until I accidentally activated one on Truth and Reconciliation and suddenly Guilty Spark is talking to the ship's AI. Do they just blend in with the anniversary graphics or something? I don't know what glowy things are for show and which are interactive.

Also does MCC come with the option to use the original soundtracks for CE and 2 or just the anniversary renditions?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Perilous Journey and Brothers in Arms didn't sound right to me, I'll have to check the game options to see how to get the OG soundtrack to play. There are a lot of tabs for customization between each of the games, and yet no advanced graphics options suite. It's kind of baffling.

The Silent Cartographer remains one of my favourite FPS levels ever made. So much fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wow that opening cutscene on Halo 2 anniversary was shiiiiiit. The rest of the Blur cutscenes are really loving good though.

Is multiplayer dead on PC? I can't find ranked matches, just a handful of social games.

Who the hell designed the UI menus for this collection? You pick one option and others change, you can only pick 8v8 or 4v4 game options, setting it to "any" doesn't actually provide "any" since it only does "any" 4v4 game types. You can alter control settings on a game by game basis but visuals are shared across all games even if the enhanced graphics option looks awful on CE anniversary.

For video games all being built on computers, some studios have no idea how to port things to PC very well. Gameplay wise the port is fine but the UI is a disaster

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I finished CE Anniversary. Man, do I not miss the fight near the end of Two Betrayals where you take on two wraiths, 20 grunts, five elites and a pair of hunters. I ended up saying screw it, ran around the back and grabbed a banshee and just flew off to get the level over with.
The anniversary graphics really do ruin the second half of the game's atmosphere, don't they? It's hard to feel like you've been dropped into a horror shooter when the hallways are all pristine and the bloodstain textures are all removed. Lo-fi horror is definitely a thing and Combat Evolved evoked that really well in 2001.
Shotgun remains the best in the series, no question. Fast reloads, tight spread and medium ranged.

So, Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer. I was not expecting that. I thought it would be just Halo 2 multiplayer but with the Anniversary visuals. Nope, it looks and feels a lot more like Halo 4 or 5 the few times I played them on Xbone. Interesting vibe, like it's a hybrid of the old Halo 2 and the 343 games in terms of speed and variety.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Played some more Halo 2 anniversary. This is definitely more of what an anniversary remaster should be like. It looks incredible. Maybe not the most technically advanced looking remaster, but it succeeds in a key field which is that it manages to look like how I remember Halo 2 looking back then.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat, the Incubus track doesn't play during the first Arbiter level unless you're on OG graphics. The new track does not fit the mood at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the other issue is that the visuals and audio for Halo 2 anniversary are tied together in a weird way, so you can't use OG sound effects and score with updated visuals.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I checked out the story for Halo Wars 2 and I actually rather liked it. It's by no means great but it's by far the best game story to come out during the 343 ownership of the series. I thought the first Halo Wars game had a story that really just existed to throw out fanservice and a blur studios fight scene, and it didn't leave much of an impression.

It's neat then that Red Team, Cutter, Anders, Isabel, Atriox and the two fuckup Brute brothers from the DLC are far more compelling and entertaining than anyone fr Halo 4 or 5 besides Roland and Lasky. Red Team especially might be my favourite group of Spartans. They all kick major rear end, have fun personalities and generally fit the larger than life heroes appearance you want to see from Spartans. They're not the dour, boring Noble Team or the fratboys from Majestic or the complete non-characters of Blue and Osiris.

Also the Banished are way cooler than the stupid Jul M'Dama Covenant forces because Atriox is a big ham in a good way even if Isabel was playing hype man a tad too much. I'm happy they're going to be in Halo Infinite since it might be the first time in a long time that the campaign enemies might be fun to fight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SpookyLizard posted:

Honestly I didn't get too deep into it because PC problems (also a lot of XGP stuff can be... buggy), I just found the whole "these guys made the COVENANT SCARED" thing was pretty fuckin' cringe and lame. If it was a smaller group that was a splinter faction from the disintegrating covenant, who were really only a problem for US and broken down piece of poo poo ship, I might feel differently about it. I didn't care for Atriox's intro either, I get the whole 'the bad guy wins the first encounter' thing, but he was basically unscathed against three Spartans, who generally speaking, are the deadliest weapons on the ground in the universe. I just generally found it unbelievable in the universe of the series. The Spartans basically suffered 0 casualties without counting things like "orbital death from above" or "nukes" or "heroic sacrifice" or some combination of all three. After we basically ripped the covenant apart in a matter of weeks, making them scary bad guys doesn't work. Dangerous bad guys, in this moment with what we have here vs what they have here can work. But after you've instigated a civil war between the main military factions, allied with the better one, and beat the rest of them through a judicious use of decapitation strikes and ancient super weapons (also I thought the ark got blow'd up when turned on halo at the end of Halo 3, but i guess not), the covenant remnant forces aren't really scary to me.

Maybe I should see if it's still on XGP and I can remember what kind of fuckery I had to do to get it working again, I'll try it again. I just got through the first couple of levels and found the whole set up to be kinda dumb.

The whole setup for Halo Wars 2 makes it more entertaining for me. Like I said, I found Atriox's hype from Isabel to be a bit much, but he's still a fun antagonist, as are Pavium and Voridus. I also like seeing humanity as the underdogs, so having the Spirit of Fire and Spartans in outdated mk IV armour going up against the strongest covenant splinter faction made for a more engaging conflict than 4 or 5. As for Spartans, I dunno, I guess I like seeing them be capable but vulnerable, and considering the huge leap between mk IV and mk V Mjolnir suits with the introduction of shields, I'm willing to give the first fight to Atriox.

The UNSC Infinity is really dumb and I've never been a fan of Humanity suddenly becoming a superpower mere years after a decades long war that almost ended in humanity's extinction. Throwing everything the UNSC has into a single super mega battleship with hundreds of Spartans is just dumb. Spartan IIIs were already pushing it but they at least made the distinction that they were supposed to be kamikaze operatives compared to durable supersoldiers like the IIs, but the Spartan IV program is laaaaaame.

Maybe I'm just partial to The Banished because I find the covenant remnants interesting. My favourite pice of halo fiction outside the games is the short story "The Return", after all. Watching former religious fanatics come to terms with their horrific past actions and try to find a new purpose in life is way more compelling to me than super AIs trying to take over the universe and the space CIA acting like complete douchebags to the alien defectors who just saved your rear end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chief has Mjolnir Mk 5 in Combat Evolved, Red Team has Mjolnir Mk 4 since they're 20 years before the fall of Reach, which happened just after the MK 5 with the reverse engineered energy shields was developed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Time to finish the fight. Again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Halo CE, 2 and 3 Spartans: metal diapers.
Reach Spartans: Slimthicc booties.
4 and 5 Spartans: Go Go Power Rangers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lawman 0 posted:

Picked this up on steam sale got through truth and reconciliation and the updated graphics are... a bit much?

Just wait until you get to the Flood and the entire horror aesthetic goes out the window. 343 Guilty Spark is especially egregious.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've noticed that Delta Halo and Regret have a few spots where the framerate really chugs no matter what your specs are and its been noted by multiple people, which makes me believe its an engine issue.

It never really struck me before now how half assed the Flood are in Halo 2. The anniversary graphics are great but they do spoil the Flood reveal on the mining station because the glass is too clear and you can clearly see the flood attacking the heretics. But beyond that, the flood are just "there" without any buildup.

It also makes Miranda into a colossal idiot since she had all of Cortana's data on Alpha Halo and then she decides to park her frigate immediately above an out of control flood quarantine zone getting 9/10ths of her crew killed instantly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Halo 3 is good but it starts to fall apart by the time you reach The Ark as Miranda's stupid pills take over (im gonna kill the prophet of truth with a shotgun and no backup after yeeting a pelican into the tower oops dead) and the Flood do the same "enemy of my enemy is my friend" trick from Halo 2 except instead of it lasting a couple levels it lasts for five minutes and then immediately ends once Truth gets shanked.

The best campaign is probably a tie between 3 and ODST, though neither of them have particularly good stories, but that's par for Halo. Great moment by moment presentation across the board in service to bog standard stories that suffer from rushed development and too much hyperbolic DRAMA to squeeze emotion out of scenes that haven't earned it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lawman 0 posted:

I beat halo:ce last night

Near the end if Two Betrayals did you take on the Flood and Covenant huge brawl with the wraiths turrets and multiple elites or did you do like me and just run around the back, steal a banshee and gently caress off to the final checkpoint?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Beat Halo 2 anniversary on heroic. Gravemind might have been the toughest level in the game but I think it was also the best overall. I had to switch back to classic visuals to get the Breaking Benjamin song, and overall it was really fun especially with the new graphics.

I was then pretty shocked when Uprising and High Charity were both way smaller levels than I remembered, to the point where they both ended before the scripted dialogue in the levels could finish speaking.

Best level: Gravemind.
Worst Level: Sacred Icon. gently caress the instakill shotgun Flood with a vengeance. Quarantine Zone isn't much better with the super sentinels spawning behind you and the first notice you get is two seconds before their cluster of missiles kills your scorpion tank.

With the amount of effort that went into remaking Halo 2, I'm once again left wondering what the game would have been like if Bungie hadn't had to scrap their first draft and rush to meet deadlines. There's a lot of room for improvement in Halo 2's single-player and some more levels like the attack on the assault carrier or the Chief's Forerunner Tank Escape would have been fun additions. I'd have liked to see what 343 could have added if they were going beyond remastering the graphics and had also put new missions in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The missions pertaining to Halsey and Cortana feel entirely at odds with the rest of the campaign.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Kins posted:

From looking around, what I've been able to see is:

• There were plans for a level between Cairo Station and Outskirts where Chief would enter that Covenant carrier and fight inside it. It got replaced by the "giving them back their bomb" cutscene, which was probably better than what we would have got. Certainly more badass.
  • A level was planned where the Chief would have driven a Forerunner Tank (a vehicle concepted for Halo 1) through the tunnels of Delta Halo (where "awesomeness would ensure"), getting harassed by the Gravemind's tentacles on the way to meeting it.
  • An actual ending. The plan, according to Marty O'Donnell, was that Chief would return to Earth, find the Ark of the Covenant (later turned into the Portal in Halo 3), team up with the Arbiter (called The Dervish at this point in development) and work with him to chase down and defeat the Prophet of Truth. Supposedly voice recording was done for all of this, but time constraints required slashing and burning down to that cliffhanger.

I believe there was also supposed to be another Warthog Run to get to the gravity beam on High Charity. The Halo 2 PC edition's modding community tried restoring it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXwEw3jM-h4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd actually say they get worse after Combat Evolved. The CE Banshee can at least take a couple hits, but the Halo 2 Banshee is dead meat if anything gets behind you and no amount of backflips will get them off your rear end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The audio in reach is fixed.

Was the audio distortion when using the cloak always in the game?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont remember the lip sync in Halo 3 being this rough. I wonder if its a result of the shift to 60fps.

Also Nathan Fillion is all over this game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Beyond the facial animations and 2007 shadow rendering, the game is still really pretty. And it plays really well too, but I chalk that up to the level design playing much better with the movement than Halo 2's cramped sections and Halo CE being way too open at times. I ran through Sierra 117 and it hits that sweet spot where its open but not too open and you also don't run the risk of getting stuck on geometry that got me killed so many times in halo 2.

And Johnson remains badass and strong enough to hold his arm steady when a one tonne space marine uses him as a brace to haul himself to his feet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The fight on the Ark where they play the remix of Under Cover of Night spliced with In Amber Clad is so good.

Not sure if the music is as good as the Halo 2 or ODST scores, but the instrumentation going for a full orchestra really gives the redone tracks some punch. Certainly more care put in than the Anniversary soundtracks that end up drowning out the melodies with super heavy brass and percussion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Start with Combat Evolved. It throws you into the world immediately and strikes a good chord by telling you the minimum amount you need to know to get going. It'sa lot more minimalist with its storytelling and I think that works to its benefit for easing new players into the universe. Reach is a lot more reliant on knowing expanded universe materials from the books, otherwise a lot of the stuff regarding the Spartan IIIs can be tricky to follow.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think that's true at all. I never read a single Halo book, all you really need to know is they're the shittier knockoff mister chiefs and the planet they're on is hosed.

I dunno, I feel that Reach expects you to know more going into the game than CE. Given that it was the final Bungie title it wasn't designed as an introduction to the franchise, and the writing reflects that. I guess you don't need to read Ghosts of Onyx to accept spartan IIIs, but having a working knowledge of the setting makes Halsey's attitude towards them versus her attitude to Jorge more understandable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched Halo Canon's breakdown of the Battle of Reach and all I can say is that it is confusing as hell trying to square away the events of Halo Reach with all the other material on the battle. It works but it's veering into Star Wars EU levels of minutiae to make everything line up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They really like throwing grenades when the Brutes tell them to.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Reach actually completely ignores the Halo books lol. You absolutely do not need to read any of the books to play the game / understand the plot.

Like the Battle of Reach as presented in the game is wildly different than how it went down in the book Fall of Reach.

I liked the way the battle went down in the book better :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8d4z5Zg_Bc

The way they get around most of the contradictions is through a communications blackout as stipulated by Winter Contingency protocols. The insane compartmentalized organization the UNSC and ONI use to prevent information leaks to the Covenant means that the northern continent of Reach was under siege for nearly a month before the Operation Red Flag Spartans were redeployed in the final hours of the battle. Given that the Covenant usually only landed troops when they were securing anti orbital defenses or pursuing forerunner artifacts (as is the case in Halo Reach), the battke would have been over way sooner if they were just going on a glassing run.

A planet-wide comms blackout with most of the armed forces unaware of a massive invasion happening under their noses makes the defense of Reach look like an operational disaster. The games might show the humans as strong underdogs but the books make them and especially ONI into self defeating morons who throw away dozens of Spartan IIs in a single day or get 300+ Spartan IIIs killed in suicide missions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lawman 0 posted:

Wait so what's the difference between the various spartans?

Spartan IIs are a supersoldier program meant to win the war against the outer colony insurrectionists, helmed by Dr Catherine Halsey. They would kidnap candidate children and replace them with flash grown clones who would die shortly after to avoid suspicion. They used extensive psychological conditioning and invasive augmentations to make them into hyper efficient soldiers and peak human specimens. Physically they are the strongest humans ever seen except for maaaaaybe the pre-forerunner human civilization.

Spartan IIIs were made as a response to the Spartan II program to make more supersoldiers on a budget. Instead of kidnapping children, the Spartan IIIs were made up of volunteers ranging in age from as young as 4 to as old as 15, and all of them were orphans of the covenant war. The idea was to make up the lack of mental conditioning with vengeance driven motivation. Their augmentation process was far less invasive (but still pretty drat rough) and had a much lower failure rate as a result. Theyre not as strong as Spartan IIs and also lack the same accelerates growth that makes guys like Chief or Jorge into 7 foot tall giants. They're still extremely strong and bigger than non augmented humans. To make up for the not as extensive augments, the training program was ramped up to make them tougher soldiers. The best of the best Spartan III candidates are equal in combat skill to Spartan IIs. Noble 6 is the only Spartan after Chief who was given the Hyper Lethal designation.
The cheapness of the program actually came from them using cheaper non Mjolnir armor, the Semi Powered Infiltration armor or SPI. Spartan IIIs were specifically made to fight the Covenant and were sent on suicide missions. Two full companies, Alpha and Beta, were rendered inoperable after massive assaults on Covenant targets. Most surviving Spartan IIIs were from Gamma Company or were pulled from Alpha and Beta before their suicide missions. Gamma company spartans are kinda crazy due to some extra illegal augmentations added in their training.

Spartan IVs are adult volunteers pulled from the UEF armed services branches. Many are ex marines or ODST troopers. Their augmentations are much much safer than II or III programs, but they are far more reliant on the Mjolnir GEN2 armour to make up the difference against the more physically powerful Spartan IIs and IIIs. The most notable thing about Spartan IV augmentations is that they stretch the bodies of adult candidates, whereas II and IIIs were augmented as children so their physiology is more "humans big bigger" while IVs have some stretch armstrong looks because their fully grown adult skeletons were altered.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 15, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah outside of the games the UNSC and ONI are more than a little fascist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There are parts of 4 and 5's stories that I like, but most of them concern the interaction between characters rather than the world itself, which is kind of the reverse of the Bungie titles. In a bungie game I'm way more invested in the big picture going on outside of the gameplay and I can take or leave the personal character moments, but in the 343 games characters like Lasky and Chief and even Thorne from Spartan Ops are great for fleshing out personal relationships in the setting.

The trouble with the 343 games is that they feel they need to up the stakes from the Bungie games, but they just do not have the chops to make it work or achieve the same sense of impending annihilation that appealed to me for the Bungie Halos. I care way more about Cortana's mortality and her final moments with Chief than I do about a Forerunner using a skellyman digital laser beam or AIs going all Skynet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The overall world of the post-Halo 3 setting falls onto the same issue i have with the post Geara of War 3 setting. They feel they need to go bigger and it ends up making everything forced. I also think that the UNSC suddenly having a mega dreadnought and hundreds of active Spartan IVs a mere handful of years after a 30 year long genocide campaign represents an unwillingness to meaningfully expand upon the setting. We need to have spartans and they need to fight the Covenant or else people won't know its Halo.

343 does great work when it comes to character interaction and its a shame they don't make that the entire focus.