Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Turtlicious posted:

It definitely definitely had a way to find custom games.

There for sure was not other than inviting your friends or being invited to a game.

The port's been running flawlessly for me, though I haven't tried campaign to see if the audio issues are there. The only problem I did have was being unable to join my friend's lobby, but that was for some reason due to my VPN and stopped after I disconnected from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

man it's been more than half of my life since halo 3 came out and I still remember the mp maps like it was yesterday. hope the player count sticks for this one, i know a few of my friends only bought reach and were waiting for 3 since that's the only one they really cared about

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

For anyone looking for some of your old favorite custom games, this spreadsheet had a good amount. Just use the Find A Player function in game to search for the gamertag and check their file share.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BX6V17ZWzqI2elsQurQ9XjFQa4tI8S9sUZfqb9NEEb8/edit#gid=1260675830

Some dorks on Reddit are also working on making a couple gamertags with filled up file shares to serve as libraries of them. If anyone wants to play some customs my Steam friend code is 68783707, or if you only have the Microsoft Store version (lmao @ you) my gamertag is vomitkittens

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

the story of halo 4 was so forgettable that I don't remember a single reference you guys are making to it despite having it beaten it maybe 3 times (normal, legendary, legendary co-op?)

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

abraham linksys posted:

i guess now there's little achievement meters? is that new in the update or was it just broken before, i'm willing to believe anything with the master chief collection

those are new for the challenges that were added with this season but they're broken and reset every time you close out of the game

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Update on finding forge maps, this new site allows you to just search every map/game mode uploaded to everyone's file share all at once, with filtering by template map/type.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

The enemy AI in 3 for some reason feels more difficult than Reach to me. In 3 if you take cover behind something the grunts will still throw grenades and Brutes will shoot their brute shots next to where you entered cover which can kill you if your shields are down, whereas in Reach it seems like when you hide at most you'll get enemies coming around the corner one by one which just lets you headshot them easily.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

welp, the matchmaking for the game is somehow broken in such a way that my roommate and i can't play together. every time the game starts loading he just disconnects. no idea what the gently caress the problem could be since we're both connected to the same wifi router

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

so after actually playing some more of the matchmaking instead of campaign/customs, the hit reg in this game is comically bad. like, so much so that getting in a firefight with someone feels more like a game of chance on whose shots are going to get picked by the server than anything. 343 is apparently claiming that the original game was like this as well which really just... doesn't seem accurate? i have a very hard time believing that something this terrible would be one of the most played FPS on the 360.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

As a budding fan of Halo, how’s the Halo Wars RTS games? Are any of the books worth reading?

Halo Wars was the first RTS I played when I was old enough to understand how to play them. I really enjoyed it and got to ~45 TS ranking. It's definitely dumbed down from a PC RTS and the control scheme obviously isn't great for the same reason (Halo Wars 1 on PC still uses the same controller based UI, not sure about 2). The story is pretty good as far as Halo games go, and the cutscenes look amazing even now.

Re: the books, I've only read the first fivd and there's like a million now, but those that I've read were pretty good. "The Flood" is a bit of a slog because it's largely a novelization of Halo 1, though the parts that aren't hold up well.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like I become older every time I hear someone say Halo Wars was their first RTS.

Apparently Bungie was happy with that idea so much it's a prominent feature in Destiny.

I played the first two Age of Empires with my dad when I was in elementary school, but Halo Wars was the first one where I realized things like taking more than one base, having multiple production buildings, and unit groupings were a thing. I credit it for helping me get into StarCraft 2 once I got a PC; the simplification of RTS mechanics made it a good stepping stone.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

You know, over the last few days I was kind of disappointed that despite the poor taste in my mouth left by the story of Halo 4 I never got to at least run through 5 once. This last page has made me kind of glad that I didn't.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

open world in the gta sense that you will be playing a penniless and downtrodden master chief committing crimes on the streets of new new mombasa

the game will temporarily receive an AO rating due to the hidden AI neural network sex minigame

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Bedshaped posted:

I think the trailer showed off the gameplay loop pretty well. Large open areas where you can choose to do objectives in whatever order you like, a more complete version of the gameplay ODST tried.

Hopefully this means a return to the kind of AI we saw in 3 that was sadly lacking in 4.

H3B had that cool blue haze and I liked that all the spartans had a plasticy look about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWoMpL0yPM8

man that 360 blade dashboard :allears:

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

getting killed in Halo: Warzone by hackers sniping me from the opposite side of the halo ring

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

alf_pogs posted:

I am still relatively poo poo at multiplayer but enjoy Halo 3s the most I think. any tips or advice for getting better?

For guns like the BR, aim for the body until their shields are down. Headshots don't do bonus damage until then so unless it's a one hit kill (like a sniper rifle) all you're doing is missing more bullets.

Strelok604 posted:

is multiplayer on steam this unpopulated, or is 343 just bad at matchmaking

What game/modes are you trying to play? I never have a problem getting a Halo 3 match in <30 seconds but I haven't tried to play the other games since it came out. Also the Steam version is crossplay with the MS Store so that wouldn't affect it.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

The guy that made those Cursed Halo mod videos has something new out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re4VWoTrAuQ

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

The Kins posted:

ODST test-flight invites have been sent out. Check your Waypoint inboxes if you're one of those beta-doers.

Apparently this flight also includes fixes to 3's hit reg :toot:

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Are achievements supposed to still be extremely hosed up? I decided to play through Halo: CE and noticed about halfway through the campaign that I stopped getting achievements for level completions, skulls, and terminals entirely. I didn't do all of that in one sitting so that means it's been for a few days straight. The 'solution' that Microsoft provides is to delete all of your local data and do the challenges again, which uhh... no?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

i vomit kittens posted:

Are achievements supposed to still be extremely hosed up? I decided to play through Halo: CE and noticed about halfway through the campaign that I stopped getting achievements for level completions, skulls, and terminals entirely. I didn't do all of that in one sitting so that means it's been for a few days straight. The 'solution' that Microsoft provides is to delete all of your local data and do the challenges again, which uhh... no?

Figured this out: My PiHole was apparently blocking the domain that the achievement unlocking data is sent to. Unforunately didn't give me the achievements I missed out on when I whitelisted the domain, but I'm at least able to earn them again.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Can someone take a look at the method I'm doing to try to get the IWHBYD skull in Halo 2 and tell me if I'm doing something wrong? It's the last campaign collectible I have to get (outside of Halo 4 which I don't give a poo poo about) and it's driving me insane.

https://i.imgur.com/wBVzXFW.mp4

I know it's supposed to have a one in seven chance of spawning but I've tried this poo poo at least 20 times and haven't seen it. At this point I'm not sure if I'm just unlucky or if the way I'm running through the level is keeping it from spawning. I know in this particular clip the sniper jackals aren't there which is a tell for the skull not spawning, but I was just recording it anyways to show the route I was taking/where I'm checkpointed at.

i vomit kittens fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Okan170 posted:

What I did was I jumped up in that same location and then ran around the buildings on the perimeter, hopping the gap. You have to kill one of the jackals near a crate in the middle to get things to spawn. Then I continued around back to the location while taking out the snipers as they spawn in. There are some videos... but the problem is even with all that it feels like a total crapshoot and I'm not sure if the time I got it I did anything else. It was literally the last skull I got in the whole collection because of the RNG crap.

Yeah I've seen a bunch of different videos that claim to make the skull spawn 100% of the time but none of them seem to. I tried for about another hour last night and still got nothing :shrug: