Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
and what the gently caress is a "scrum master". i thought it was illegal to make workers call someone "master"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

it's a living

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

you have to be agile or the customer is going to gently caress you at a rapid pace with constant scope creep

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
isn't scrum a rugby term? do programmers really think they're a sports team lmao

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I frickin love sports *grunts*

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

stolen from some absolute genius right here in yospos.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qsvui posted:

isn't scrum a rugby term? do programmers really think they're a sports team lmao

Yes, if your scrums don't have exactly 16 people in them and last for more than a few seconds you are doing something very wrong

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

agile is quickly becoming the bitcoin-blockchain of vague poo poo that sounds tech-y

great for cargo culting a development process (see we do standups, we sprint plan, story points!, i click the jira buttons) so a team that achieves very little of actual value can be shown as being active and doing stuff

there's no real standard or definition so it is up to the managers to pick the easy parts and skip actual understanding and measurement/self-reflection process

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALWHCUNU8Nw

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol @ this

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Penisface posted:

agile is [...] becoming the bitcoin-blockchain of vague poo poo that sounds tech-y

pretty much

'blockchain' but as a shortcut that implies leadership/managerial competence without actually having to have any

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

pls dont post our corporate slide deck!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
once someone encouraged me to learn about it when I was looking at applying for a computer nerd job

thank god in my workplace the “development cycle” is “do the work that’s immediately in front of you”

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I hear SAF certifications are hot poo poo among management consultants right now (but not among people who do the work)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it's a bunch of nonsense piled on top of the relatively obvious idea that, if you don't know exactly what your potential customers want, you should show them the software and ask "like this?" early and often during the development process

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it also involves regaling your coworkers with stories

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
It's an excuse to do inadequate planning.

"Oh yeah, we have to remain agile to our customer's needs. Let's not spend focused effort up front to get a full accounting of the exact requirements and instead just sit back and accept doing a half-assed job there so that when inevitably the customer comes up with more stuff we missed the first time (because we didn't ask/scope properly) we can pretend like that's part of our strategy rather than us being lovely at planning things."

See also: MVP - make something really lovely, really fast and sell it on the promise that "don't worry, it'll get better eventually!"
Nobody wants to pay for the improvements, partially because the lovely thing you made wasn't ever really properly designed to handle them.
lovely thing becomes the thing everyone now has to use to do their work because of the sunk cost fallacy of having paid money to implement it and the false promises of 'and it has so much potential'.
Until senior management changes, they go, "what's this lovely thing and why are we using it? Throw it out! You know what, we should get a better tool. Get someone to make me an MVP for that" and the cycle continues.

Maybe that's why those Agile diagrams are all circles - they all end up back where they started in the end.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

agile is an accounting system for technical managers

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Soul Reaver posted:

Maybe that's why those Agile diagrams are all circles - they all end up back where they started in the end.

it's called iterating and it keeps the paychecks coming in so :ssh:

animist
Aug 28, 2018
its when you bob and weave at your standing desk OP

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it's when your team gradually starts working from home more and more until management wonders why agile didn't make people more productive

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
scrum manifesto

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Soul Reaver posted:

It's an excuse to do inadequate planning.

"Oh yeah, we have to remain agile to our customer's needs. Let's not spend focused effort up front to get a full accounting of the exact requirements and instead just sit back and accept doing a half-assed job there so that when inevitably the customer comes up with more stuff we missed the first time (because we didn't ask/scope properly) we can pretend like that's part of our strategy rather than us being lovely at planning things."

you're dumb.

i don't know what your concept of "adequate" planning is but nobody is capable of getting all of the requirements from the client up front and having them all be correct. that is partly because you don't know what questions to ask and partly because the people you are designing the software for are busy doing their actual jobs, and not that good at thinking about what they actually require or about what will and won't be obvious to someone approaching it from the perspective of a non-SME. that's why agile in its most essential form, i.e.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

... the relatively obvious idea that, if you don't know exactly what your potential customers want, you should show them the software and ask "like this?" early and often during the development process

is good.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

ok i get how agile is sold but what lets focus on reality here

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

power botton posted:

ok i get how agile is sold but what lets focus on reality here

???

My professional experience of agile is that it matches the description in DELETE CASCADE's post.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

My work wouldn't let us pick "The Scrum Dumpsters" as our team name :shrug:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
its a replacement for program managers

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my company sent my entire team to a 3 day agile class which ended in a project (with epics etc) about constructing a mars colony with lego

so its about playing with childrens toys op

animist
Aug 28, 2018
ah yes, the spacex mars colony plan

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
what in the gently caress is an "epic"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It's a form of poetry, doofus

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
a subcategory of fails

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

a subcategory of fails

What is "beep posts," Alex?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

'what kind of product do you make'
agile developer, coyly, "I don't know"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

let's not forget https://www.scrumyourwedding.com/

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
agile cannot fail, it can only be failed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
agile means your team stands around for 20 minutes in the morning and talks about what each person did while everyone else zones out.

SAFe is just overly complicated agile but sold your VP or CTO piecemeal for maximum profit.