Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!

MarcusSA posted:

How TF are the power up dungeons still hosed up?

I haven’t been able to enter a single one

A workaround I found on reddit:

Go to "Train" a water or darkness character, click on the Water Elixir, click "Found At" and then select any of the locations to travel to them. If you click the arrow to go back on the party lineup screen, it'll take you to the quest page of all the water xp quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kalion posted:

A workaround I found on reddit:

Go to "Train" a water or darkness character, click on the Water Elixir, click "Found At" and then select any of the locations to travel to them. If you click the arrow to go back on the party lineup screen, it'll take you to the quest page of all the water xp quests.

lol that is amazing.

I'll try that now... that shouldn't be a thing two days into the games launch and doesn't inspire much confidence TBH.

Edit: That works and its fuckin stupid that it works.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

GeekTheMage posted:

I left my guild and now I can't join a new one for 24 hours, which is super lame!

poo poo like this, multi-draws being 10 instead of 10+1, not having the Daily Reset be the same time as every other loving gacha, is bullshit. There's no acceptable excuse for it in Gacha Gaming TYOL 2020.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

poo poo like this, multi-draws being 10 instead of 10+1, not having the Daily Reset be the same time as every other loving gacha, is bullshit. There's no acceptable excuse for it in Gacha Gaming TYOL 2020.

Also not having a pity is kinda poo poo too.

So far this is not a great game. It looks nice when its not trying to melt my phone but there are lots of shity things about it.

A standard 10 pull is $39.99 too.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Why do the men have no eyes? Shouldn't that be something for SINoALICE?

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!
Looks like Global is getting the same Paid SSR guaranteed banner that the JP server currently has sometime soon?

Edit:
Lol guess we aren't getting it after all. Wonder if global will even last a year.

Kalion fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 18, 2020

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
A Tales gacha skimping global sever on banners and then closing it when nobody spends money on it? That's too absurd to think about.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don't think this game is gonna last TBH.

There are already people jumping ship and a few not so good reddit posts lol.

No honeymoon period here folks.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I mean, mechanically it is profoundly lovely and uninspired. Which is a goddamn tragedy because I know people who worked their hearts out on the script and the music is amazing, but it's all been betrayed by the awful monetization, terrible performance and general mismanagement. This thing was not remotely ready for launch. Frankly I kind of wonder how long it'll last in Japan, even; there's a couple Tales mobage already and Rays is AFAIK well regarded but is also different from other games on the market. What reason is there to play Crestoria beyond "it's Tales!"?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Turn based Tales still makes me laugh.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Goonsquid was full so I made a dumb quild called TheCoolZone if anyone wants to join :shrug:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Turn based Tales still makes me laugh.

Honestly, gameplay-wise Tales of the Rays was amazing (and probably is still amazing, in JP) and was probably about as close as you can come to "Tales on a mobile device". If you combined this game's story aesthetics, music and localization team with Rays' gameplay (and probably in-battle graphical quality to make sure it runs well) I'd play the poo poo out of that to no end.

But no, they literally had to build a Summoners War/Raid Shadow Legends gameplay clone, because those are the games that "sell well".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For me it was the realization that since awakening a character requires multiple copies of their memoria (is that the term? I'm forgetting already) but the good memoria are half a unit's stats you have thie odd point where you don't want to invest in leveling up the good stuff because you'll be destroying it later if you ever pull enough SSRs. It's not like you pull a second unit and just dump it into your first and nothing of value gets lost. The moment that clicked for me it hit my efficiency instincts in all the wrong ways.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001
As much as I'd like to follow the adventures of The Grand Transgressor and his two stick-in-the-mud murderer/arsonist sidekicks, I am forced to conclude that Tales of Crestoria... is bad!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Bruceski posted:

For me it was the realization that since awakening a character requires multiple copies of their memoria (is that the term? I'm forgetting already) but the good memoria are half a unit's stats you have thie odd point where you don't want to invest in leveling up the good stuff because you'll be destroying it later if you ever pull enough SSRs. It's not like you pull a second unit and just dump it into your first and nothing of value gets lost. The moment that clicked for me it hit my efficiency instincts in all the wrong ways.

There are evidently universal dupes for this sort of thing (because yeah, ten copies to fully max out a unit and their memoria is just laffo) but god knows how common they'll be. And in the meantime, you can always just get it over with now if you whale like a fiend~~~~~~~~~~

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you're not cloning DFFOO, you're gonna fail. :colbert:

Like, I would absolutly love to have a DQ version of the game. And I say this as someone who has always been a bigger fan of Final Fantasy than Dragon Quest.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Yeah it's unfortunate, I just kinda don't care about the game. I got presumably some really good opening rolls with solid SSR units but it was hard to play over my main gacha even when I did all my daily things in that.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

SpaceDrake posted:

I mean, mechanically it is profoundly lovely and uninspired. Which is a goddamn tragedy because I know people who worked their hearts out on the script and the music is amazing, but it's all been betrayed by the awful monetization, terrible performance and general mismanagement. This thing was not remotely ready for launch. Frankly I kind of wonder how long it'll last in Japan, even; there's a couple Tales mobage already and Rays is AFAIK well regarded but is also different from other games on the market. What reason is there to play Crestoria beyond "it's Tales!"?

"We're sorry Tales of Arise got pushed back and we still don't have a release date yet, play this instead? It'll tide you over probably, it'll probably even help fund the actual Tales game you wanted to play!"

Even though i am skeptical they can surpass Berseria since that is the Best tales game now

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Fallout Shelter Online is a decent dumb gacha if you liked the offline version. Gotta spoof an East Asian account on IOS to initially download it though, doesn’t look like it’s coming to the west anytime soon

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So keeping in mind all gacha games are bad, what is like... least bad, these days? Honestly the only things I really hate are PvP and real time co-op (as opposed to just dragging a friend's unit along for carries, which is cool and good).

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Opera Omnia is usually a pretty constant contender for "Least Bad", that and Another Eden have a permanent spot on my phone because I never feel obliged to play them but sometimes I actually want to,

Bruceski posted:

For me it was the realization that the memoria passives like "+Crit % for Martial Arts Allies" didn't apply to the whole team, only the person using it and that "allies" was, at best, just a bad translation. The only synergy you can get is from the aforementioned really hard to get passive skills from absorbing 5 of the same memorias. No thank you!

Vhak lord of hate fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 21, 2020

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

100 degrees Calcium posted:

So keeping in mind all gacha games are bad, what is like... least bad, these days? Honestly the only things I really hate are PvP and real time co-op (as opposed to just dragging a friend's unit along for carries, which is cool and good).

Arknights might suit ya. It's the one that held my interest the longest over the last year or so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Romancing Saga.

No drat PVP.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, Im liking romancing saga. Super generous with the pull rates so far, lots of resources, appreciable difficulty that can be overcome by grinding instead of just units (at least right now)

no pvp or forced co-op either

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

arknights fits both of these categories, having no pvp, no real-time co-op, and having a system via which a friend's unit can carry you and by which you can carry your friends witjh your unit

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Gonna throw out Dragalia Lost, as it doesn't have PVP and they're incredibly generous with free rolls and free currency these days. It does have live coop but you can mostly ignore it; I usually do, and I've playing and enjoying the game since it came out almost two years ago. There's easily 30-40 hours of content for a brand new player, and that's not counting the past events that you can play through, too.

Aside from that, it has an incredibly good soundtrack, fantastic writing, a great cast of characters, and the game is just plain fun to play. It's a really solid action RPG, with team building, and character and dragon collecting. It's cute as hell, and it also has the best April Fool's event where you play fetch... as the puppy!
https://youtu.be/vBPWnJefyHY

I really wish there were more mobile games like Dragalia.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Romancing Saga.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also Romancing SaGa has amazing music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-hqxMsRT_Q

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
the answer is Romancing SaGa Re; Universe, sleeper gacha hit of 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Phyresis posted:

the answer is Romancing SaGa Re; Universe, sleeper gacha hit of 2020

Also we have a thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932227

It’s a good game.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

RoyalScion posted:

Super great Genshin Impact summary

Oh cool, I was hoping Genshin was going to come up in here! I heard about it a couple months ago and was lucky enough to get into the current closed beta.

This is a great writeup by RoyalScion and I want to summarize the key points that I very strongly agree with:

-The gacha rates are baddd.
-The artifact system needs some work to not be tedious (including being able to see who is wearing what).
-The elemental combat has a lot of fun potential but I do wish they gave you all of the tools earlier without relying on pulls (I really wish I had a melee character who could apply flame damage faster than the starter archer girl who has to charge up a bow shot).
-I’ve been playing on PC and mobile and the game looks and runs great on both. The animations are smooth and the controls are pretty solid even on a touchscreen.

I hope this game hits well and the devs are willing to listen to feedback during beta and improve some of the gacha elements. The polish they put on this seems almost on par with that of Dragalia Lost. I think it does a fantastic job adding gacha characters into a BotW world and honestly I try to keep myself from burning through it because I want to savor the quests and exploration when it releases. I also heard the main campaign is pretty hefty even for a free-to-play mobile title.

To reign in my gushing though, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people bounce off of it at launch because of the gacha rates and late game grinding, and that’s fine too because everyone has their preferences. I personally just wanted something that breaks the gacha mold and I think this game is going to do just that, even if just for a few months.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Whoreson Welles posted:

Oh cool, I was hoping Genshin was going to come up in here! I heard about it a couple months ago and was lucky enough to get into the current closed beta.

This is a great writeup by RoyalScion and I want to summarize the key points that I very strongly agree with:

-The gacha rates are baddd.
-The artifact system needs some work to not be tedious (including being able to see who is wearing what).
-The elemental combat has a lot of fun potential but I do wish they gave you all of the tools earlier without relying on pulls (I really wish I had a melee character who could apply flame damage faster than the starter archer girl who has to charge up a bow shot).
-I’ve been playing on PC and mobile and the game looks and runs great on both. The animations are smooth and the controls are pretty solid even on a touchscreen.

I hope this game hits well and the devs are willing to listen to feedback during beta and improve some of the gacha elements. The polish they put on this seems almost on par with that of Dragalia Lost. I think it does a fantastic job adding gacha characters into a BotW world and honestly I try to keep myself from burning through it because I want to savor the quests and exploration when it releases. I also heard the main campaign is pretty hefty even for a free-to-play mobile title.

To reign in my gushing though, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people bounce off of it at launch because of the gacha rates and late game grinding, and that’s fine too because everyone has their preferences. I personally just wanted something that breaks the gacha mold and I think this game is going to do just that, even if just for a few months.

Thanks for the second opinion! I’m definitely interested in it because it does seem to change things up a bit. I also like cross platform play a lot as well.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm giving Arknight a try and I kinda dig the presentation value.

Does I need to have any familiarity with the saga series to dig on Re; Universe?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does I need to have any familiarity with the saga series to dig on Re; Universe?

I don’t know anything and I love the game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm hoping this game gets people to try out the original series. Romancing SaGa 2 and 3, as well as SaGa Scarlet Grace, are all easily available and fun. The other games in the series are harder to get though.

Give me HD Minstrel Song dammit!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Let's say this gets me hooked and I want to try the others. Should I go for Romancing SaGa 1 first?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Also this. Really enjoying it so far and it actually feels like the devs aren't just trying to squeeze every dollar from their players. Game is great, currency aplenty, and there's some really interesting and deep mechanics.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Let's say this gets me hooked and I want to try the others. Should I go for Romancing SaGa 1 first?

All the games are Stand-Alone. I'd say 2 or 3 are good starts since they got re-released recently and are easy to get on Steam/Mobile/Consoles.

The PS2 remake of 1, Misntrel Song, is one of my favourite games but is harder to find.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'll just note that RS2 does a generation skip thing that makes you periodically pick a new character and put together a new party, so there's some extra overhead there to deal with as you go. I think RS3 is a bit more standard as JRPGs go so that might be easier to pick up and run with. Re;universe also takes place in the same world as RS3 whereas the other games are separate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Saga owns. Re; Universe does the "it's your favorite old school battle system on Gacha" better than FF Record Keeper IMO. The performance is buttery smooth. The presentation is lovely; the HD assets gel well with the sprite work. There's no superfluous mechanics like tending to a village or stuff like that. Everything outside of battling is training your units and updating weapons for more battling. The Gacha is pretty drat generous to boot. The story is pretty thin, but the Saga series isn't known for its storytelling. I do like how an average story scene is like, a few seconds long, just to get you to do quickly invest and continue... more battling.

It's a drat shame about Tales of Crestoria. I like the story and its presentation with full-voice and some cool animated scenes, and I like the Tales-meets-Granblue turn based battle system. Everything else is bad.