Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nice, it's also trivial to lose it forever and/or get social engineered out of.
https://twitter.com/iamjasonlevin/status/1527340971633311744

See, all you need to do is to get hundreds of students you went to the same Uni 20 years ago but never interacted with to confirm your degree is real. But also any rando can steal your degree that way.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Buttcoin: put all my money into soulbounds. Now I'm maidenless.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shame Boy posted:

why do videogames have both chapters and seasons now

season based gaming is because the games all have character progressions and you can rank up, but they've learned that you can't run it forever because you have to provide rewards for ranking up, but if you do that, newbies get absolutely flattened by the experienced players with a shitload of perk points to spend. So you gotta reset everything every now and then to level the playing field

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
whoops, fat fingered my soul address on my application form. my degree is lost to the ether, gotta put in four more years now

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Gray thread title was prescient.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

mrmcd posted:

This is just public key pair signatures with a bunch of extra stupidity glued onto it.

crypto.txt

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

seeing a bunch of idiots trying to resurrect terra/luna by "burning" it.
are people really falling for this?

1 buy my worthless tokens from me with real money
2 send the tokens to /dev/null
3 ???
4 profit?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

From Software running out of ideas

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The whole SBT thing is just trying to do what the Hyperledger Indy project has been trying to do for 5+ years now. Only their version doesn’t burn a small country’s worth of electricity and cost hundreds of dollars per transaction.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

gently caress man. good omens is real, vitalik is an honest to god demon looking to wrap up the deal by getting butters to electronically sell their souls on the blockchain
once he goes back down, he's getting a promotion for sure

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

uni degrees as nfts would mean selling not the degrees but receipts of degrees. the fungible token concept has never had a solid tie to the object it actually points to

also soulbound concept comes from world of warcraft probably so vitalik is back to his old
hobby

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Isn't this just removing the transfer function from the NFT standard? How long is this revolutionary redesign going to take exactly?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
vitalik: yes this 8 year old girl transferred her rights to me and its soulbound now, you cant do anything about it

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
When you hold onto a soulbound token long enough you can extract a materia token from it to slot into your apes

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

vitalik is still just mad about the shadow priest nerf

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

4lokos basilisk posted:

uni degrees as nfts would mean selling not the degrees but receipts of degrees. the fungible token concept has never had a solid tie to the object it actually points to

also soulbound concept comes from world of warcraft probably so vitalik is back to his old
hobby

can i get an account-bound degree if i follow reincarnation?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Universities can already keep track of who has a degree! They keep records! :psyduck:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Doom Mathematic posted:

Universities can already keep track of who has a degree! They keep records! :psyduck:

Yeah, but what if an EMP wiped out those records? Meanwhile, the blockchain

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
It’s already hard to imagine how we lived before 2008 when Satoshi invented the idea of a diploma.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Doom Mathematic posted:

But how can you be sure their records are correct? They are not on blockchain, so they can all be incorrect.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
i feel like in the next federal election the republican grifter types are gonna ask for bitcoin donations a lot like in 2016. it will probably be less successful tho because the guys they hired during that time are either in jail or have lost any sense of media credibility (mike cernovich lol)

also i don't think peter thiel is gonna do a ton with his media savvy-ness other than promote dumb podcasts because impressionable right wing 18-24 yos aren't particularly fond of him

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Between the poo poo this moron pushed with Etherium ("Power users can store the whole chain for us, its only 48+ TB!") and his other crap, these people are beyond delusional.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

unless you just sold the private key but nobody would ever do that i guess

Paladinus posted:

Nice, it's also trivial to lose it forever and/or get social engineered out of.
https://twitter.com/iamjasonlevin/status/1527340971633311744

See, all you need to do is to get hundreds of students you went to the same Uni 20 years ago but never interacted with to confirm your degree is real. But also any rando can steal your degree that way.

oh

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

yeah sure worst possible lesson to take from loving ethereum is "world of warcraft derived poo poo is great" and deciding you need to make soulbound lore drops

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
it's like they're intent on trying every single possible option EXCEPT for having a central, trusted authority to manage who has what for the benefit of all involved

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sniep posted:

it's like they're intent on trying every single possible option EXCEPT for having a central, trusted authority to manage who has what for the benefit of all involved

well yeah that's already covered by exchanges

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/joshcarlosjosh/status/1528151188134191105

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
next generation idea is you generate a token and it is associated with no wallet at all so you cant use it. non usable token

plz do not use more than one slurp juice on your nuts

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Shame Boy posted:

lol friend just sent me this

being placed next to the collectable poop stickers is very appropriate

has anyone done a crypto garbage pail kids nft yet?

gross ughricht
shartoshi notatomato
plague wright
lark karburples

goondolences if this has already been said

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Raziel slurpin apes and uni degrees out of my soul wallet

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Legacy of Koin: Soul Wallet

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Buck Turgidson posted:

Legacy of Koin: Soul Wallet

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

heard this in my head in grammer's and hyde pierce's voices :discourse:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Hammerite posted:

heard this in my head in grammer's and hyde pierce's voices :discourse:

weird, i heard it in frasier and niles's voices

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

weird, i heard it in frasier and niles's voices

(the sound of Frasier hitting himself in the face with a rake and grunting)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Doom Mathematic posted:

Often when a university goes bust those records disappear, so there is some value in having the data elsewhere, but I don't need to tell you that the good solution is not what the blockchainheads invented.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Vitalik is literally 'educated stupid' it feels like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

NLJP posted:

Vitalik is literally 'educated stupid' it feels like

I hope he has a soulbound diploma to prove it.