Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Libel is one of the few things where U.S. law can be said to be unambiguously superior to many foreign equivalents.

a legal system that lets a racist junkie call an actual hero a "pedo guy" is not a functioning legal system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

we love our crafts in europe: check it out, im making a papier-mâché gun. next time i am in america, i will use it to shoot a pellet of wet paper on elons forehead. it is wet with my spit. i probably have communicable diseases. actionable threat.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Carthag Tuek posted:

a legal system that lets a racist junkie call an actual hero a "pedo guy" is not a functioning legal system

and yet still better than Commonwealth libel laws which was the point of the comparison

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

and yet still better than Commonwealth libel laws which was the point of the comparison

no theyre also weird and bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Carthag Tuek posted:

of course the reason vernon unsworth had to sue him in america is they wouldn't enforce a libel judgement from the uk. how he lost that suit is a bit of a head scratcher

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

of course the reason vernon unsworth had to sue him in america is they wouldn't enforce a libel judgement from the uk. how he lost that suit is a bit of a head scratcher

you can do anything you want with a credible lawyer and a bazinga on the bench

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Libel is one of the few things where U.S. law can be said to be unambiguously superior to many foreign equivalents.

and many states have anti-SLAPP legislation that puts the burden on the person suing to provide evidence that the defamation / libel / slander claim has merit

SLAPP == strategic lawsuit against public participation

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

he hired Lin Wood

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

he hired a lawyer who used to be good but apparently has been huffing paint for the last 20 years.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

theflyingexecutive posted:

he hired Lin Wood

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
the Hamilton guy?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Weatherman posted:

the Hamilton guy?

he hasn't been the same since larry david shot him in the mouth

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

EricBauman posted:

you're definitely right that if a bank drops your account without giving you a reason, it's for aml/ctf reasons in 200% of all cases

"they haven't told me why, so it can't be money laundering" is not something a serious person would ever believe

I can't believe the banksters are now banning people for playing Capture the Flag. bitcoin fixes this

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

divabot is british, they do not have a first amendment, and british libel laws are rather different than american ones

UH ACTUALLY he is australian but lives here. his full name is G'dayvid Gerard

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Hammerite posted:

UH ACTUALLY he is australian but lives here. his full name is G'dayvid Gerard

same thing, we love claiming commonwealth citizens as our own if they’re white

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm canadian, i know how this works.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Hammerite posted:

G'dayvid Gerard

mods

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Carthag Tuek posted:

but yea nah that guy is not that. hes definitely laundering something and its not his underwear lmbo

how dare you say such actionable things about an upstanding businessman of flawless repute

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
“His real motivations were misapprehended and misunderstood," Mukasey said. "Really he’s an awkward math nerd...He loves video games and veganism, and he’s compassionate to animals."

except for all the shrimp

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
No vegetarian with a German last name could ever commit a crime!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

“His real motivations were misapprehended and misunderstood," Mukasey said. "Really he’s an awkward math nerd...He loves video games and veganism, and he’s compassionate to animals."

except for all the shrimp

i'm glad they're still trying to make the smol bean sam defense it's endlessly funny to me

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Judge Kaplan: A fortuitous run-up in the value of some cryptocurrencies bears no relation to the gravity of the crimes that were committed. A thief who takes his loot to Las Vegas and successfully bets is not entitled to a sentencing reduction, even if pay-back

lol sbf is hosed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's not his fault he accidentally misplaced literally billions of dollars in ways they specifically, explicitly said they wouldn't do, he's just an awkward math nerd you can't expect him to be good at numbers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

didn't you see that spreadsheet he made where he was like

here's how we hosed up:

current assets: $1 billion
idunno: $5 billion
whoops: $20 billion
customer funds: -$10 billion

that's such an adorable math nerd thing! how can you punish lil' ol' sam for being so cute!?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The_Franz posted:

Judge Kaplan: A fortuitous run-up in the value of some cryptocurrencies bears no relation to the gravity of the crimes that were committed. A thief who takes his loot to Las Vegas and successfully bets is not entitled to a sentencing reduction, even if pay-back

lol sbf is hosed

where you following this at

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

quote:

38 min ago
Judge Kaplan says Bankman-Fried also committed perjury
From CNN's Lauren del Valle
Kaplan also said he found that Bankman-Fried committed perjury during his trial testimony. He falsely testified that he had no knowledge that Alameda had spent FTX customer deposits before the fall of 2022, the judge said.

:yeah:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

there’s this

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/sam-bankman-fried-sentencing-03-28-24/index.html

idk if there’s any tweeters

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shame Boy posted:

it's not his fault he accidentally misplaced literally billions of dollars in ways they specifically, explicitly said they wouldn't do, he's just an awkward math nerd you can't expect him to be good at numbers

nah bro its roi, its least input idk i forgot the word, BUT ITS NOT GAMBLING

imagine if he did lose that heads or tails and the earth was destroyed? and we were all left here on a burning husk. thatd be something

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i hope they throw the book at that awful hamburgler

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

evilweasel posted:

where you following this at

found this guy who seems to be transcribing it in another thread

https://nitter.poast.org/innercitypress

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The_Franz posted:

thanks

lol at this:

quote:

Judge Kaplan: I'm going to vary downward from the Guidelines range, the process we're going through right now.... Next, about the number of victims. Do you want to be heard?
SBF's lawyer Mukasey: Our memo was before we saw the victim impacts letters

Judge Kaplan: So you're signaling there's not much merit to the argument you made? You don't have to answer that, I'll answer it. Objection overruled...

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Carthag Tuek posted:

nah bro its roi, its least input idk i forgot the word, BUT ITS NOT GAMBLING

imagine if he did lose that heads or tails and the earth was destroyed? and we were all left here on a burning husk. thatd be something

:smuggo: its not gambling. its statistics :smuggo:

well yes the statistics say its likely i could lose everything, but on the other hand they could be wrong!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The_Franz posted:

lol he’s still got it

quote:

SBF: Alameda wasn't bankrupt, FTX wasn't - Alameda's gains were lost, it was more leveraged than it should have been. We had to liquidate to meet the run on FTX. Then shutting it down. FTX would have survived, Alameda would not have. An unpleasant few weeks
it wasn’t bankrupt, its gains were “away from them”

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol sam has veered into openly lying to the court after the court found he committed perjury

quote:

SBF: There are enough assets. It's not because of a rise in the price of crypto, that hasn't hurt, there just was enough. As Sunil said, the emotional pain. Why haven't they been paid back? There was, to be fair, a liquidity crisis. That was in part my doing

that's one way to play sentencing, sure

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sam honey what do you think bankrupt means

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mukasey: I understand there has to be a perception that justice was done. I'm reminded of the case of Stefan Irving - he was a predatory, and got only 21 years. Don't destroy the prime of this kind young man's life. Let him meet a partner and have a baby.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

idk if this was posted (3k posts to catch up on? lol no) but john ray wrote to the court telling them to throw the book at sam

i mean it probably was, but i still laughed real hard at this https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/03/ftx-chief-lays-out-all-the-ways-sbf-sucks-in-detailed-court-filing/

quote:

The lightest sentence was appropriate, Bankman-Fried claimed, because the "most reasonable estimate of loss" and "harm" to customers, lenders, and investors is "zero."

According to Ray, "Bankman-Fried continues to live a life of delusion." While Ray's team continues to work to recover funds lost, which has been estimated around $10 billion, the total amount of stakeholder claims filed is $23.6 quintillion dollars.
"One quintillion is one billion billions," Ray told Kaplan. "It is the number 1 followed by 18 zeros.
The task of addressing filed claims and reducing them to their proper and 'allowed' amount is monumental. Mr. Bankman-Fried assumes this is a breeze. He is wrong, very wrong."

lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sam strikes me as the kind of person who always carries around a single penny "so I can never be bankrupt!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

Mukasey: I understand there has to be a perception that justice was done. I'm reminded of the case of Stefan Irving - he was a predatory, and got only 21 years. Don't destroy the prime of this kind young man's life. Let him meet a partner and have a baby.

oh no, we all saw what happened last time sam was Horny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Because seven ate nine billion dollars.