Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Unfortunately facts, figures, and demonstrations slide off his smooth brain like water off a ducks back. I learned this during the Ivermectin episode.

He's 20 years older than me and was closer to a father figure. I picked my university and major based on what he did. I started reconnecting with him last year after a few years apart and had my mind blown by how much brain poisoning he's suffered.

Sorry for the oversharing. I'm losing my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

it’s fine just understand we are laughing at him too

MrQueasy posted:

Dude, you're not alone. Share all you want, as long as we can all laugh. Some of us more ruefully than others.

I'm just happy to share some joy and laughter :unsmith:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Programmer Humor posted:

That part got me interested into checking out the technical details of how contracts are actually stored on the chain. Surely this kind of thing could be avoided if you just took some time to read through the actual contract.

However, because contracts are stored as instruction byte code, reading them is not easy. You can either look through a million opcodes, or try to decompile it. Trying to decompile the opensea openstore contract gave me this:

code:
I failed with these: 
#  - safeTransferFrom(address _from, address _to, uint256 _id, uint256 _value, bytes _data)
Hopefully there's nothing in there about marbles, or letting someone else transferring tokens they don't own.

Also, the contract standard for tokens explicitly says that transfers can fail for whatever reason the issuers dreamed up, for "interesting results". So I just don't know about this whole thing about code being law, seems kind of complicated.

So the end user of these tokens have no practical way of checking if the contract that they're "signing" actually is what the writer says it is? That's insane!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Boxturret posted:

imagine getting in on the ground floor and buying 1 and 0:vince:

you'd literally own the world

Nah, there's at least... nine other numbers. Trust me bro, I can count pretty high.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I bought the concept of infinity. Good luck doing calculus, nerds

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Paladinus posted:

My favourite Canadian musician (if such a thing exists) Devin Townsend found out about NFTs and I hope to God doesn't fall for the scam. His colleague Matt Shadows from Avenged Sevenfold, however, is a true believer, and the two had a chat after Devin tried to understand why people hate NFTs. I know Matt to be a nice enough dude in real life, and the way he enthusiastically describes the wonderful metaverse perks batcoin holders will enjoy in A7X's virtual fan club is deeply saddening. I guess it's worth remembering that some entertainers who shill their NFTs can themselves be victims of NFT grifters and their own stupidity, rather than dispassionate influencers for hire or malicious actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnXazshK-EU

I haven't followed A7X since the Nightmare album, but it's still a bummer that they're getting sucked into this.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

coelomate posted:

help im touching the poop it is so bad I knew it would be bad but I just wanted to see for myself what a smart contract was under the hood

in the local dev ethereum hellstorm you need fake money to do your fake transactions because every element of this godforsaken system is financialized

I tried to look up string concatenation in solidity but hahaha why would you ever want to do that you shouldn't do that can you IMAGINE the cost of such a thing on the DISTRIBUTED NIGHTMARE COMPUTER CHAIN hahahaha get hosed nerd store your strings off chain loser GOD

Oh this is hilarious, please keep sharing

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

also lol at mr. meta mask trying to argue with him in the replies

https://twitter.com/jacobc_eth/status/1488951413841481737

i can't wait for provably competitions

Anyone remember when everyone assumed BoB was getting help from the EVE Devs? Well if it had been on the blockchain you could have proved that lolwbehsfart

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Khorne posted:

the smart contract functions took pointers to functions as inputs and one of these functions was 'verify hash is correct'. the "attacker", if we can even call them that, provided a function that said yes.

Pointers! :argh:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the commit is right here on github. it was yesterday, not 4 months ago
the relevant change is from calling "load_instruction_at" (which interprets arbitrary user supplied smart-contract-data as a function) to "load_instruction_at_checked"

the stupid unsafe load_instruction_at function was deprecated by solana in october
the actual commit by the wormhole devs to switch away from the deprecated security-hole function was yesterday

I'm too lazy to look at their source and comprehend it. Were they really relying on an arbitrary third party to authenticate the transaction? I don't consider myself an experienced networked application coder, but that seems like day 1 rookie poo poo.

I wonder if it was put in there on purpose :tinfoil:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

drk posted:

lol, dude's wife/co-defendant describes herself as a "irreverent comedic rapper" on her linked in: https://www.linkedin.com/in/untraveling/

edit: there's a v cringey music video of her as the "crocodile of wall st" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DIuPPmY9mw

Hello fellow hackerz

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Fleshy mortals fear that which they do not understand. By uploading your consciousness to the Ethereum blockchain you can transcend the physical plane and exist everywhere simultaneously in the global VM. Only then will you be able to fully comprehend the genius of Razzlekhan and her weird AF music video.

What I'm saying is that to be fair, you need a very high IQ to understand web3 culture.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I feel sad for RadioShack.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Stephen Harper posted:

not to worry, some enterprising entrepreneurs have already started the ConvoyFi Convoy Coin, which is definitely not a grift run by cryptofascists!!

I can't get enough of that guy's raised eyebrow. He really thought he had something there :allears:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Lol, remember when Pussy Riot was considered some subversive group sticking into the man in Russia?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Shumagorath posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/03/how-did-a-hacker-steal-over-600-million-from-a-crypto-gaming-blockchain/

going to rewrite my resume to highlight experience in single-node and double-node proof-of-authority truncated/compressible blockchains

I actually have quite a bit of experience managing blockchains that handle append transactions and edit transactions. :smug:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Khorne posted:

hodl cryptler

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I like beans.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Pigbuster posted:

excellent visualisation

I see a bird

E: yeah

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i think i see a duck?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Gazpacho posted:

they comin for you circle (grim reaper meme)

I'm the 107% APY

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Escape From Noise posted:

Oh it's happening!

Lol. This article.

"As I described in an earlier article, the artwork is really important when I buy a collectible or piece of art that I intend on holding for a long time. It needs to be interesting and unique enough to stand out and attract and maintain a large audience, and ideally be something people want to show off, thus acting as promoters for the project.

The Gambling Apes artwork is of really high quality. The apes themselves are super well done and the discrete background illustrations add a nice visual element."

That loving monkey is high as balls

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

TIL Mike Judge is into NFTs. drat.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

CommieGIR posted:

Sadly Mike Judge is a bit of an idiot. Never meet your heroes.

Still not as bad as when Tom Morello and Serj Tankian got into them :(

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

vortmax posted:

Rolling down Rodeo
With a pocket full of apes

Lol

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

And I thought Nick Land arguing that blockchain breaks special relativity was embarrassing. Christ.

I wish I had a better understanding of physics so I could really savor the absurdity of this paper.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i definitely missed that particular event, but i do remember the guy(s?) claiming that bitcoin was in fact a way to store energy

Amphetamines and critical theory are the perfect combination for galaxy brained takes. I can't find a good video of him talking about it, but there's at least a little bit of wordsalad here about causality and spacetime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PMGuNZreWA&t=1397s

A bunch of people have been arguing that blockchain is a "store of energy". I'm struggling to find an example of it now though.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

lol

Do you think if the value had increased they would've gotten more than their deposit back?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Endless Mike posted:

lol of course not. they *might* pay a half a percent extra to claim they were following the law, but if they're trying this poo poo, i doubt it. i hope op there gets their TREBLE DAMAGES

:hai:

I hope that landlord gets owned in court

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Crust First posted:

my understanding is people already sell auto-daytrading bots! it's a good scam; you get to use the free demo, and wow! the bot makes money! you pay for the full version, and suddenly because you have to wait for your trades to execute (rather than the bot pretending everything happens instantly), and also pay the exchange fees, you quickly lose all your money. no refunds.

My idiot half brother has himself and his two kids gambling their college money with auto-daytrading crypto bots. I have not checked in recently to see how that's been going.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

infernal machines posted:

you should, i bet it's going great and he'd love to tell you all about it

That's the part that worries me.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I can't find the exact meltbrainrdb tweet atm, but Just lolling at needing "good opsec" to do my totally legit job that also has specific and arbitrarily enforced retreat location requirements.

:thunk:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Wholdu've thunk that a currency designed for doing crimes on the internet would turn into such a disgusting fun house mirror of scam machines built on top of scam machines when combined with heavy financialization in a cyberneticized environment?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

It's so loving close, just a few more cents!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

19950!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Back up again. Looking forward to the morning lol

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

DashingGentleman posted:

sorry friend, you thought you were supporting sustainable and human-friendly urban design, but you were actually promoting 150 TWh of annual energy waste. I even raised an eyebrow at the orange pill mention and the guy made it out to be common parlance in crypto circles.

I wonder how much energy was wasted in the production of GPUs and ASICS in addition to the power costs.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Thinking about making software that costs $$ for every individual compiled instruction and how this will produce robust code worthy of financial transactions.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

haveblue posted:

a shame "buttcoin: the file in question, entitled “BigTitsRoundAsses,” was not in fact an .mp4" is too long for a thread title

Take out the "in question"

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

The politicization of cooking oils is so loving :psyduck: I got a Candace Owens ad the other day claiming that the obesity is caused by nut and seed oils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021