Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

xtal posted:

"bitcoin uses as much energy as x country" is like the nerdy version of comparing fetal development to fruit

i love those comparisons because the calculation is always a lower bound that assumes everyone is using the most efficient current mining hardware, and then if you add in the other cryptocurrencies it goes up another 30% or so

extrapolating out the 80% year on year growth trend of the past few years i estimate cryptocurrencies will surpass france, germany, and then south korea by 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

pointsofdata posted:

like it isn't as though mining bitcoins isn't a high cost/low labor activity at the moment.

there’s a lot of human labor captured in all that coal

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

congratulations you have summed up buttcoin

idk, there aren’t many centralized services where it’s as easy to steal significant amounts of money with such little risk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

43 / male / yospos

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

woah. now ive seen everything.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

anything that gets hotter than 50 celsius should never be connected to the internet.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hammerite posted:

the number of tethers printed has just hit 50 billion :toot:

theyre fully backed by 50b usd too right?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hammerite posted:

i think they backpedalled on it and said they were actually 75% backed or something. so they totally have 37.5b USD its fine

but also pretty sure they later backpedalled again and said they were backed partly by usd and partly by crypto. so in other words they low key admitted they are largely backed by the same bitscoin they are working hard to keep at an inflated price. the crypto world ignored this completely of course

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

that statistic from a few weeks ago that bitcoin uses more power than the entire world's installed solar energy systems produce finally switched me from "vague disdain" for cryptocurrency and its moron supporters to "active hate." this stupid loving dunning-krugerrand internet funbux poo poo has completely eradicated a massive step we've made away from fossil fuels.

i used to just roll my eyes at it like i would with people getting into any other get-rich-quick scheme but now it's just unconscionable.

if it makes you feel any better, that stat is probably not true. i tried looking for the data and it’s hard to find actual solar energy production numbers, i can only find installed capacity (but solar doesn’t work all the time etc so you can’t easily calculate based on that).

solar capacity last year was about 3% of total electrical capacity. bitcoin uses about 0.6-2.5% of total electrical consumption currently. adding in the other shitcoins i estimate you have to multiply that by 1.3x or so based on total network hash rates

so it’s maybe true in some sense but maybe not?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

that’s not accurate either! bitcoins are powered by coal

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://cbeci.org/

that site seems decent at estimating buttcoin electrical usage

their upper bound would place it as a top ten country, lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

oh and it’s been increasing about 80% year on year for a long time now so lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

they've been allowed to mine, if you still call it that, since march, transaction processing is set to start on may 3rd so storage is going to get even pricier before it's all said and done. ssds and nvme drives probably the most in demand, followed by hdds in descending order of size; even 4TB disks are selling out (in asia at least) because of chia

ssds don’t seem sold out here in china but prices of the big ones have gone up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol incredible

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nvrgrls posted:

I just wanna say seriously I don't think it's funny when people ruin their lives because they don't understand how bitcoin works/doesn't work, or when they fall for a scam.

thank you.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kw0134 posted:

the thing is that a margin loan in that context usually is something that is given as you're buying the security. my broker gives me 4x leverage on certain stocks (which I don't take), but my existing equity in that position is what anchors the trade if i were to exercise the margin. you can't "take a margin loan" and have cash sitting in an account, unless this is some shady bullshit that leaves the user exposed to being forcefully expropriated whenever the "broker" feels like it, which is probably the case.

i think interactive brokers and a few other things like that actually do let you take a margin loan against your equity and have the cash sitting in your account

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://mobile.twitter.com/jessefel...ingawful.com%2F

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kw0134 posted:

that feels incredibly sketchy and if they're not charging usurious rates then welp

also it means you're de facto leveraged all the time and a 30% drop in the market wipes you out completely. this is good for buttcoin

their website says they have a 50% margin requirement and charge variable interest at benchmark rate + 1.5% for the first $100k you borrow. benchmark rate is based on risk free rate which is currently only 0.06% so it’s 1.56% interest to borrow up to 50% of whatever the value of your investment with them

etrade has something similar but they charge 7.95% interest

m1 finance has something similar but they charge 2%

i don’t think the basic concept is that far out there. i certainly wouldn’t do it with a bitcoin exchange though lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i could see doing that margin loan thing if your a 6 figgie shitlord or something with a fat stack of stocks in your account and you need to come up with an extra $10k for a large purchase or something

you only get wiped out if you are borrowing the max amount and the market tanks by 50%

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

borrowing money to invest it is one of those things that has always seemed to me like a really good idea for wealthy people and a really bad idea for normal plebs

ive thought about doing it before, but settled for holding a relatively small amount of leveraged etfs

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kw0134 posted:

I guess if you're doing a poor man's repo agreement then that makes sense but that seems like a nightmare for risk management if you're offering that to any meme stock chasing retail trader.

oh you mean for the broker?

for a normal person i think it could make sense in some situations but like, i wouldn’t trust my mom with that kind of financial stuff

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ADINSX posted:

I'm not loling at the fact they never had a DBA

i am

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

brings a tear to my eye

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

doing a profit take and re-buying if it goes down more

remember when a bitcoiner tried to do this but ended up owing a bunch in taxes and screwed himself?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cryptoracle posted:

It seems it's time once again for us to take another look back through Something Awful history for some much-needed perspective. This time we're going back all the way to Spring 2011:

I like this Dessert Rose person. The OG Seraph84, you love to see it. Too bad for them that they were being satirical rather than sincere.

You don't have to keep doing this to yourselves, you know. Sure, it was funny at first, but you're rapidly approaching self-harm territory now. As your friend, as your comrade, that truly saddens me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlGU8hWsoiA

very funny.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i laugh every time i read the word “stablecoin”

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

gschmidl posted:

My [31M] fiancee/girlfriend [28F] is upset that I proposed with an NFT instead of a ring. What can I do about this?

For this post my fiance will be Jenna (fake name) I'm 31 and Jenna is 28.

Jenna and I have been together 4 years. We have discussed marriage and agreed we would both be interested in the right situation financially. Jenna has recently been mad at me as I lost a significant portion of my half of our savings in dogecoin. I did make half of it back with stock market options but then lost some more and she wanted me to quit so I did. Jenna does not have an investing mind and is more interested in saving your money in a checking account and then buying a house or something, but I want to show her how we can multiply our money with investing.

Well things were going okay and then I found something that made my jaw drop. It was an NFT with significance to our life that she would love. I rushed to buy it with almost my entire life savings because I know this is a good one that could be worth a million when we're older.

I got down on one knee and presented her the NFT and she started crying. She said I was TA and that how could I do this. I explained to her that in ten years we could buy a mansion with this and it's a symbol of my love and devotion but she sees it as selfish and foolish.

I don't want to sell the NFT because it's once in a lifetime and I don't want to leave her. What can I do?

Tl:dr- My gf doesn't like investing and was mad I lost a significant amount of money in crypto. I bought her an NFT for our engagement instead of a ring and she's not saying yes and is mad. What do I do?

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he’ll yeah

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Armitag3 posted:

Well poo poo now I'm gonna have to move to Shenzhen and take fart up on that beer

is your name hbag?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just kidding! the offer extends to all yosposters

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

drk posted:

if only there was a technology to automate the exchange of money for beer

the hong kong airport has one of these

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Boxturret posted:

there's a line of nfts that's defining trait is skeleton with large nail in their forehead

who the hell is spending $600 on these. i still dont get it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Truman Peyote posted:

i was at a dinner with some nft people this weekend. i basically kept my mouth shut but they were unsurprisingly discussing it purely in terms of how much they could expect to sell it for in the future. it could be screen grabs of color swatches and it would be exactly the same to them

have those people actually flipped any for a profit? why buy a secondhand one instead of just waiting for lazy lions to pump out more nfts and getting a new one

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Khorne posted:

It was supposed to be in 2016 but it turns out there are fundamental problems with proof of stake.

turns out? you mean the problems everyone thinks of instantly upon hearing the concept?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shame Boy posted:

when i first heard about bits coin i think i downloaded the wallet, got like 0.1 bits coin from a faucet (which is worth thousand of dollars now!!!!!!!), realized there's actually nothing useful i could do with any of this and the whole thing is real stupid, uninstalled everything and deleted the 0.1 bits coin

a very long time ago i had a turbonerd friend mining bitcoins with his desktop computer 24/7. he told me he was earning about 4 or 5 bitcoins per week, which he then sold and it either barely or didnt quite cover the electricity cost of mining them. i told him the whole thing sounded really dumb and i hold to that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

speaking of modern forums, is richard still migrating the forums to xenforo?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

xenforo is dead?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

could we put yospos on the blockchain?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kill All Cops posted:

yes

should we?

also yes

ill start the wiki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Boxturret posted:

well, it's not really changing all that much. just instead of the people with the money to buy a million graphics cards and run them constantly having the power to do what ever they want and getting more and more coins it's now people with the money to buy a ton of coins having the power to do what ever they want and getting more and more coins

now those guys can play a million games at once