Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

klafbang posted:

And BTC has the BWM thread, where butts also come up.

wonder why that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Most ransomware viruses do literally nothing, and as with Melon Husk giveaways the idea is to get the dumbest person who is willing to part with their money.

Bitcoin ones especially. Remember the first major ransomware campaign involving bitcoin? IIRC it was a big time Russian mob-backed effort, the kind with funding behind it that really will release the data if paid in time. It seems 3 days is not nearly long enough to figure out how to use bitcoin, and this was tarnishing the ransomware scene's reputation for honesty and trustworthiness as such, meaning people were less likely to bother trying to pay ransom.

It was such a disaster that they had to create a customer support department with lines that victims could call to try and guide them safely through the bitcoin process, and give them a free decrypt key if it was genuinely impossible to do within the malware's 72 hour time limit, so they switched to Monero etc pretty quick.

When criminals use bitcoin it makes the criminal look worse by association, not bitcoins

Syd Midnight fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 24, 2019

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

...! posted:

defipingredditor for 2 days 1 point 3 hours ago

D Gerard. A man who hates crypto so much that his whole life has ended up revolving around it.

J Salk. A man who hated polio so much that his whole life ended up revolving around it.

Syd Midnight fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 28, 2020

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

That looks like text generator output. Hmm..

GPT-2 posted:

Bitcoin Segwit2x
Bitcoin Original
Bitcoin SBS (Satoshi's Secret Stash)
Bitcoin Bezos
Bitcoin PC Card
Bitcoin Fairy
Bitcoin Trezor
Bitcoin SegWit2x 3XT
Silk Road Bitcoin Currency
Bitcoin ASIC 0.3 BTC
Bitcoin Dollar
Bitcoin DarkSend
No, Not My Bitcoin!
Bitcoin Financial
Bitcoin Five Dollar Note
Bitcoin Coin Lottery
Bitcoin North Sea
Mao Bitcoin
Bitcoin Celestine
Bitcoin or Bust
Bitcoin Picasso
Bitcoin Nuclear
Bacon Bitcoin
Bitcoin Megacoin
Bitcoin Mindsphere
Bitcoin HomeroBit
BTC Fiat
Bitcoin Indigent
Bitcoin Uranium
Bitcoin Megahertz
Bitcoin Large Amount
Bitcoin Bee-Ring
Bitcoin Titcoin
Bitcoin Laudium
BitcoinDark's Existence
Bitcoin Diva
Coinstar Bitcoin
Bitcoin Lotto
Bitcoin Donator Club
BTC China1 Year Deposit
BTC China1 Million Deposit
BTC China7 Year Plan
BTCChina10Gold
Chinese Oracle
BTC Octopus
LiteBucks
Bitcoin Locust
BTC.All

best new cryptocurrency: No, Not My Bitcoin! [NMB]

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

SIGSEGV posted:

or illegally gamble with the mafia in a disreputable establishment

that would be preferable, the mob is too reputable to use bitcoin. when the russian mafia first tried to use bitcoin wide scale to collect money from ransomware victims, bitcoins were so complicated and volatile and exchanges so dishonest and unreliable that it was a pr fiasco so damaging to their reputation that they actually had to set up technical support hotlines to give free decrypt keys to victims who were unable to pay ransoms in time because of bitcoin, and eventually adopted their own cryoptocurrency which is superior to bitcoin because it's a fiat currency backed by organized crime, kinda like real money.

if that parable doesn't answer your questions, then sure whatever straight to the mooon

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Erenthal posted:

oh boy, seasteaders

so i went looking for my collation pdf "In Golden Waters", but the external drive i stored it and the original txt files i used is dead as a door nail and my old mediafire link seems to be deceased

I put it and a few other SA things on Google drive. inc. "Fatlantis" and the Malador or whatever cyborg 6-dick dragon people

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

seiken posted:

to truly use this as a learning experience as it was intended, I feel that the irrevocable loss of my coins should at least be accidental in some way

try turning it into cash, then tell the sponsor you learned that $100 in crypto only worth $60 and ask for the difference. better yet if it gets stolen or eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Paladinus posted:

I've been touching computers professionally for almost a decade and I've never heard the term failed wedding before. Or is it just a metaphor for this one thing?

"failed wedding" sounds like such a desperate metaphor, like the us military calling getting their asses kicked "alternative objectives" or "strategic re-maneuvers"