Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

seiken posted:

to truly use this as a learning experience as it was intended, I feel that the irrevocable loss of my coins should at least be accidental in some way

you're now overcome by an insatiable hunger for more, right? keep your eyes open for exciting investment opportunities

I hear elmo nusk does giveaways periodically to help evangelize and share his wealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
yes you should send them to elong musk. add a comoment about how much you love car and he might reward you with a place on the Mars ark

if you’re not sure how to do that, send them to me instead, I’ll send you back double AND send double to elon on your behalf

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've been touching computers professionally for almost a decade and I've never heard the term failed wedding before. Or is it just a metaphor for this one thing?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
is there a failed wedding to uncle conversion rate?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's a bridegroom on the roof type of situation.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
to have and to hodl, for betting or worse, for “richer”, for poorer, till math us do part

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

seiken posted:

to truly use this as a learning experience as it was intended, I feel that the irrevocable loss of my coins should at least be accidental in some way

try turning it into cash, then tell the sponsor you learned that $100 in crypto only worth $60 and ask for the difference. better yet if it gets stolen or eaten.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Paladinus posted:

I've been touching computers professionally for almost a decade and I've never heard the term failed wedding before. Or is it just a metaphor for this one thing?

"failed wedding" sounds like such a desperate metaphor, like the us military calling getting their asses kicked "alternative objectives" or "strategic re-maneuvers"

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You don't "lose all your bitcoins when the eastern european exchange gets hacked" but instead "passively reaffect your holdings to cold siberian storage"

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I deep commited my assets under a tactical avian sanitary implement.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I think a failed wedding is where the priest elopes with the bride. the best response is to thank him for the important life lesson and ask for maybe one of the rings back

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Agrajag posted:

I've already brute forced my way into several Bitcoin wallets from a program provided in this very thread. Thanks SA!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
paypal lol

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The paypal thing got me thinking which is always a dangerous situation. Given my limited knowledge of financial regulations, why aren't bitcoin miners considered payment processors? They get paid to move money around, wether in transaction fees or magiking up a new bitcoin. Since cryptocurrency is just internet crime coins anyway it seems you could kneecap a lot of it by subjecting miners to aml/cya regulations for the transactions in the blocks they mine?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

bitcoin is a commodity not a currency in this situation, also i do not consent to joinder, :-:SOYLENT:-: ofthefamily :-:PUDDING:-: inc.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:joel: :joel: :joel: :joel: :joel: :joel: :joel: :joel: :joel: :joel:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
i wrote up the paypal thing

tl;dr wtf, this is dumb as hell (but then, it's bitcoin)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
with the number of times you get quoted in the media on this, there is going to be serious egg on your face when the un announces that all member states have unanimously agreed to move to the bitcoin standard

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Soricidus posted:

with the number of times you get quoted in the media on this, there is going to be serious egg on your face when the un announces that all member states have unanimously agreed to move to the bitcoin standard

but just think of all the pundit calls I'll get!!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
nice piece, dg

thank heaven you addressed the burning questions: is this good for bits-coin, and will there be barts

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

divabot posted:

more seriously

quote:

I think nobody will buy bitcoins just so that they can deposit them into their PayPal to spend like dollars — they’ll just spend the dollars.

Approximately zero people will buy bitcoins in dollars so that they can deposit them into their PayPal to spend in dollars.
is probably unintentional repetition?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

not sure if you know this or not but you mention robinhood a lot as more or less the same idea but stocks instead of bitcoin, except you can actually do this exact thing with bitcoin using robinhood too: https://robinhood.com/us/en/about/crypto/

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Soricidus posted:

more seriously

is probably unintentional repetition?

yeah, I turned this from draft into post a bit quickly

I'm sure it'll be fine

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

*ominous thunder clap*

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Boxturret posted:

*ominous thunder clap*
oh no the bitcoiner plugged all their miners into one outlet again.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

never believe a vampire when they say that everything will be fine

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

What is a man? A miserable little pile of it's all good buddy.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

how has the tether scam not fallen apart by now?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pardot posted:

at some point they showed that they actually do have like a billion dollars in real money

it may or may not have come from the mob and it may or may not still exist, please do not investigate, thank you

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shame Boy posted:

at some point they showed that they actually do have like a billion dollars in real money

I thought they ran their auditors off and then lied saying they signed off on the thing, at which point the guys doing the math said they had several accounts all over that may have been transferred from one to another so it looked like it was good, but may have all been the same piles of cash moved from account to account to add up correctly. Am I just delusional (which is possible; it’s one of the symptoms of my schizophrenia 🥴)?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Pardot posted:

because if they stop pretending tether is real the whole game collapses

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I’m sure lots of people have said “fictional reserve banking” but I’m gonna say it again

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

I’m sure lots of people have said “fictional reserve banking” but I’m gonna say it again

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741325

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I just love the way that fiat is bad because it’s backed by men with guns, but tether is good because it’s backed by ... fiat?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

DerekSmartymans posted:

I thought they ran their auditors off and then lied saying they signed off on the thing, at which point the guys doing the math said they had several accounts all over that may have been transferred from one to another so it looked like it was good, but may have all been the same piles of cash moved from account to account to add up correctly. Am I just delusional (which is possible; it’s one of the symptoms of my schizophrenia 🥴)?

IDK it sounds pretty on-brand for butt coin

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Cryptocurrency is more fiat than fiat. Also isn't NY AG still investigating teather?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Soricidus posted:

I just love the way that fiat is bad because it’s backed by men with guns, but tether is good because it’s backed by ... fiat?

tether is good because number go up. the fiat "backing" is tolerated because it lowers the barrier to entry for new suckers institutional investors

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

print the quadrillion tethers you cowards

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Alright. I was at the mall today and saw this bitcoin I knew from my highschool hanging out with some fly fiat and handling the fiat's rear end and all that poo poo. The bitcoin was walking with a swagger, trying to look all hard and everything. But the bitcoin was a LITTLE BITCH back in HS and wasn't hard at all, EVERYONE would pick on the bitcoin. So I walked up and told the fiat, "why are you loving with the bitcoin, the bitcoin's a god drat PUSSY and isn't hard at all."

The moral of this story, well...there isn't one. But it gets me loving pissed when currencies who have no right to act hard are acting all hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

vortmax posted:

because if they stop pretending tether is real the whole game collapses

yeah, so long as that value remains within that normal range, it's far easier to sell tether on the exchanges than try to get the money directly from tether itself. the exchanges and tether all know what the game is and no one's going to let a bank run on tether happen, since it's far more useful to them as a stable-ish way to transfer value between exchanges. it's kinda fascinating to watch in action.