Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
*realizes that he's just part of a large surplus population that society has no need for and does the natural thing by jumping off a cliff like a lemming*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Just doing this until my twitch stream starts to take off, there aren't any jobs in Frog Balls, Arkansas since the aluminum frog-baller factory closed. Sure hope this cough goes away soon, I'll give it another month and then try some of those fish antibiotics Ma got off amazon.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

my job at the dick sucking factory is just a side gig. my main job is at the racism factory

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Howdy fellers, just appeared in town this mornin'
:tipshat:

thought I'd see if there're any local issues what has y'all too gripped with fear or despair to combat? Perhaps a tyrannical mine owner unconcerned with the high human cost of his endeavors, or a creature not of this world whats takin' too many of your children to an early grave? I'll just plant myself at your watering hole if ya think of any evils need dealt with

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
Everytime I look around, I see
So much fakeness goin down
i am from Ukraine let me tell you about Mountain Soldiers

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Haha thanks for the tip! You're right, faith is the only currency I need! Please don't give me a low rating, I'll do anything.

N-no, not that...

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

name's geralt. heard you have monster problem

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

*drives uber into residential street, sneakily opens door slightly and leaves bottle full of piss perched on the curb*

flexible working gives me dignity!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
3 more task rabbits in the next ten minutes and I think I can afford to not die this month.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
*finds crumpled up $100 bill on the ground*

*cries in car for ten minutes at stroke of good luck*

*uncrumples bill to discover it is counterfeit in many obvious ways*

*suicidal ideations*

*seriously considers trying to use it at the local CVS to buy condoms and juice and toilet paper anyway*

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So are people who drive for Uber full-time just expected to accept they'll never have health insurance, or what? Is there some gig worker-specific plan out there?

Yeah it's called going to the emergency room and giving a fake name

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

*finds crumpled up $100 bill on the ground*

*cries in car for ten minutes at stroke of good luck*

*uncrumples bill to discover it is counterfeit in many obvious ways*

*suicidal ideations*

*seriously considers trying to use it at the local CVS to buy condoms and juice and toilet paper anyway*

Have you considered not prostituting yourself for heroin?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
*stocks up supplies in anticipation of the food riots that will descend once automation and "smarter" drone tech renders gig work by human labor obsolete*

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Thank you for taking me to the bar and also thank you for picking me up from the bar and taking me home I'mma tip $3 but I guess you're not gonna get it because I think Uber just keeps your tip anyway

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So are people who drive for Uber full-time just expected to accept they'll never have health insurance, or what? Is there some gig worker-specific plan out there?

Having no form of healthcare is what makes America above all other developed nations

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

*joins pyramid scheme hawking sawdust pills to anyone still on facebook*

i'm an entrepreneur

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

JK Fresco posted:

Have you considered not prostituting yourself for heroin?

Yeah but being a waitress at Applebee’s is worse

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
*hears people talking about how hard it is to sell things in Iowa*

*takes it as a challenge, gets off the train despite not knowing the territory*

*sells cheap band instruments to the yokels*

*eventually gets to boff 1960s era Shirley Jones*

... ehh, could be worse.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

*Doesn't have a car, so delivers post mates on foot after taking the bus to an upscale area*

*Walks half an hour in the rain, the customer is amazed how soaked he is, so tips a dollar.*

*Postmates gets flooded with applicants, since he doesn't have a car, he winds up only getting two deliveries in 7 hours.*

*The two deliveries didn't cover bus fare*

*Sells blood plasma twice a week, staff has a nickname for him.*

*Is angry he's on EBT.*

*Is a friend of mine IRL and he got a job this year!*

*Still sell his blood plasma because it pays minimum wage*

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Surely, the rich are not to blame for me not having anything to eat. I just have to have better ideas. My start-up is right around the corner, and I, too, will be a millionaire who eats things, because I also have in my head grand ideas. Currently, I am working on an idea which is like Uber, but for window replacements. Also, it is free and open source.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
is an employee and is subject to coverage under various employment statutes and the common law

receives none of these as employer's business operates by ratfucking individuals and the tax system by classifying them as "independent contractors"

strangely nobody cares and nobody takes steps to enforce the law. gotta break the law and screw over the taxpayer to disrupt the system, right

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Mirage posted:

*hears people talking about how hard it is to sell things in Iowa*

*takes it as a challenge, gets off the train despite not knowing the territory*

*sells cheap band instruments to the yokels*

*eventually gets to boff 1960s era Shirley Jones*

... ehh, could be worse.

Shipoopie

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm an Uber driver and everything I offer complementary has been vigorously rubbed against my anus before I offer it to you, my fare.

:colbert:

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
As an actual full time driver for Lyft and having done doordash before its actually pretty good income if you need it. Just do the rental program with Lyft and never worry about car maintenance. Yeah no health insurance, but flexibility is really nice, averages $18-25 after expenses where I live. Guess I dont care as much as others because I love driving and dont give a poo poo if youre drunk. Better to get you home rather than have you go behind the wheel. Good conversations and interesting people, and far better than a lot of other jobs I hear friends and family constantly bitch about.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
*Wants Andrew Yang*

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I'd be driving the car anyway so I don't really worry about depreciation.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
'Dicks at the docks' has a nice cheerful ring to it

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Can one of y’all bring me a kidney? Yours or someone else’s idk. I’ve got a promo code.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The only thing I want out of this horrible gig economy before it collapses and destroys countless lives is a liquor delivery service that has fast delivery times. Any time I've tried to order a bottle of bottom-shelf plastic-bottle whiskey it takes like 6 hours to get here

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

As an actual full time driver for Lyft and having done doordash before its actually pretty good income if you need it. Just do the rental program with Lyft and never worry about car maintenance. Yeah no health insurance, but flexibility is really nice, averages $18-25 after expenses where I live. Guess I dont care as much as others because I love driving and dont give a poo poo if youre drunk. Better to get you home rather than have you go behind the wheel. Good conversations and interesting people, and far better than a lot of other jobs I hear friends and family constantly bitch about.

It’s important to point out that the barrier for entry to this job is “having a relatively recent model of a nice car” which means this job is rarely available to many of the people who could use it the most and many people with no other options choose to bury themselves in autoloan debt because they think it’ll dig them out of poverty, but the only way to do that in most major cities is to work and register for all 3 (Uber/Lyft/DoorDash) and work like 60 hours a week, unless something radical has changed in the last few years.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The one true gig is scamming seed money from boneheaded venture capitalists.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

so, you work as a taxi driver?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if anything is legit when you drive a person to a hotel room and actually get money back.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Zeluth posted:

Not sure if anything is legit when you drive a person to a hotel room and actually get money back.

What does this mean? It's all a grift right?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Sjs00 posted:

What does this mean? It's all a grift right?

You follow him into the room, and you get paid after

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I get paid to post on social media pretending that I’m an Uber driver who just got a blowjob from a hot girl I was giving a ride to. Click on my link to drive for uber.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

GABA ghoul posted:

so, you work as a taxi driver?

Pretty much yeah it's just like driving a taxi with the exception that I don't have to pay a shitload to a taxi company and I'm not tied down to any kind of mandatory hours not saying that it's the best job it has its ups and downs but not as poo poo as a lot of people think it is but then again I also work in a good Market where it's always busy and you don't get butt hosed by traffic 24/7

I have a feeling these things are going to be short-lived anyway so I'm not making it a permanent solution for a job but for now it's been quite nice

blatman posted:

The only thing I want out of this horrible gig economy before it collapses and destroys countless lives is a liquor delivery service that has fast delivery times. Any time I've tried to order a bottle of bottom-shelf plastic-bottle whiskey it takes like 6 hours to get here

I think we have something like that here called drizly and I have no idea how effective it is but I'm almost sure that 90% of it would be used by alcoholics we have some liquor stores here that will just deliver to you

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Eventually all this gig economy poo poo will be so ground down to basics it will be cars that just sit there waiting for a worker to jump in and clock in to drive Uber. Everything will be company issue and the pay will be literal poo poo.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

*realizes that one major car issue or health scare WILL destroy me financially for life*

"Hi sir, your McDonald's order is here! Sure smells good! I hope you have a blessed day!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

London just outlawed Uber