Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Scholtz posted:

They shouldn't make a tool that powerful/dangerous sound so cool. It's a liability.

"Attractive nuisance" is the name for this theory of liability!

Other examples include cool tunnels, trampolines, unsecured pools, and anything your mother said would poke your eye out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Aishlinn posted:

there is something almost therapeutic about watching sandblasting (or even better, the anti-rust laser) doing its thing. its so satisfying. one of the youtube channels i really like, "Odd Tinkering", does restorations, and one of the toys in his shop is a loving laser that blasts rust off things. its a joy to watch it go. highly recommend the channel, its just a man working with his tools and restoring stuff that looks entirely too far gone, back to like new, or often times, better than new condition (like, by rustproofing battery terminals in electronics by electroplating). No music, no talking, just some hands, and some tools (And a rubber ducky.)

Picked a random one, restoring an old pencil sharpener
No big deal, just machining an entirely new set of parts that havent been made in over 100 years. also lasers!
yea it's dad asmr

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Aishlinn posted:

there is something almost therapeutic about watching sandblasting (or even better, the anti-rust laser) doing its thing. its so satisfying. one of the youtube channels i really like, "Odd Tinkering", does restorations, and one of the toys in his shop is a loving laser that blasts rust off things. its a joy to watch it go.

PowerWash Simulator is a game that can scratch that very very particular itch

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sirotan posted:

I've spent an embarrassing number of hours over the last several years painstakingly sanding, patching, and repainting all the original doors in my house and I'm kinda mad that I never even considered this as a possible alternative.

:hf:

I saw a guy with a dry ice blasting rig once and it almost made me cry how easy it was.

He took all the paint off a brick wall in minutes, then went on to strip a bunch of old window frames like it was nothing.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

KoRMaK posted:

dude literally signed his post. he aint fuckin around

If it were me I'd sign someone else's name to it just in case, like Mike that pretentious old fart from engineering. I'd take care to misspell it tho so they can't do nothing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How are different fuels sent in batches down the same pipeline? (self.AskEngineers)

quote:

I worked for a pipeline company in the 80’s as a summer intern and got to know the guys who made the switch. Back then it was based on the known flow rate and timing. One station would call ahead and tell them, for example, that the pipe would be switching from regular to premium at exactly 9:25am and that’s when they would switch the pipe from filling the tank holding regular to the holding premium. All sounds great when you overhear the guy saying that he missed his cutover like a half an hour ago and says no big deal!

We also chased the pig when they were getting lost which meant driving a rod into the ground to touch the pipe and listen for it clicking on the welds when it went by. We would leap frog with another team to each intersection with a road until we heard it stop clicking. One time the pig was getting stuck in the pipe where it crossed a stream and a farmer’s cows were using it as a bridge

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How many different forms of cancer will this give you?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It looks like he has good PPE and the blasting medium is probably baking soda, so my guess is zero.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Where does the stuff being blasted, and blasted off, go? Is it all aerosolized?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
imagine how clean you'd feel after that treatment

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wonder if the people using those tools ever go mad with power and continue stripping paint off things beyond their original target.

Imagine hiring someone to remove paint from a fence and a few hours later the cars in the driveway are glittering in the sun, all exposed metal…

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm sure they're up there with power washers and handheld labellers.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

You have to use the sign trick.

Once they cut their fingers it will be much harder from them to keep driving.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Fun fact: Train infrastructure in Germany is sometimes coated with synthetic DNA. Cables have the marker even on the wire strands.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Xerol posted:

One of the things I've been trying to research (unsuccessfully so far) is why they went with one of the longest truss spans in the world over any other option. I suspect the main factors were some combination of "cost", "cable stayed bridges weren't the go-to design yet", and "there's a steelworks 1/4 mile away". The channel itself is also less wide than the central span:

So it was as wide as it needed to be. Modern cable-stayed designs can have spans longer than not only the longest span of the truss (1/4 mile) but the entire width of the waterway (1 mile)*, and you can go even longer with suspension. Any serious study on the replacement bridge design is going to look at the balance between the costs of protective structures and a longer unsupported span. If they can build a replacement 1/4 mile span + sufficient dolphins for less than it costs to build the 1 mile span and no dolphins, they probably will.

Another factor is the height of the bridge itself. Not only to let tall ships pass through, but vehicles need to go up and down to get over the bridge, and you can't have that slope be too steep, and there's only so much land either side of the bridge where you can raise the highway.

*Assuming you count the causeway portion of the bridge complex as land

https://twitter.com/myrrlyn/status/1773122611783827705?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

woke rear end maritime professionals

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

other people posted:

Where does the stuff being blasted, and blasted off, go? Is it all aerosolized?

Baking soda is NaHCO3, it's fine to aerosolize. As long as the paint is lead free it won't cause any problems either once it settles out onto the ground, so just keep anyone without an air filter away for 20 minutes or so.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Also regardless of what the paint is made of I'm not sure there's a meaningful difference to nature between removing it in one go and it just coming off naturally over years.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Platystemon posted:

How are different fuels sent in batches down the same pipeline? (self.AskEngineers)

If I didn't know what a pig was in this context, this post would be baffling.

This looks like a sign you'd put near a whole bunch of copper wire.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Don't worry, spending 6-12 hours doing that exact same job with an orbital sander also makes a tremendous mess everywhere, even if you are using a vacuum attachment.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
It's just lead, what's the big deal? It wants to be outside and free

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Big Mac posted:

It does feel nice to have relatively grounded discussions about the incident and what preventative measures would look like and be capable of. While dolphins or protective islands would (presumably) be good, I also wonder about the soil typology in a large, presumably very alluvial harbor - those pilings would have to be deep and plentiful to be able to handle anything close to the lateral loading that a container ship would be capable of. I'm not familiar with the soils around Sunshine Skyway, either, or dolphin construction, or, or, or, or

I wonder, ultimately, how much of an impact any truss bridge like this could take. No question that the supports were the most overwhelmingly critical parts, but I have to presume that designing for something to impact those piles with even 1/10th the tonnage is asking for the Hoover Dam.

Thanks, that Reddit thread is pretty good. The day of the collapse, the attitude in various online places was that nothing could possibly be built to protect a bridge from a ship of this weight. Which is not really true, systems have been built that are rated to protect bridges from ships weighing this much. There was an attitude elsewhere that the ship was simply too large to be stopped by any man made device, which again isn’t true, the ship was stopped by the bridge itself after all, just after suffering catastrophic damage.

Now the conversation has shifted to two questions.

Are bridge protection systems rated for a direct hit or just a glancing hit? I’ve found some specifications online for structural dolphin systems, but nothing more recent than the mid 20th century. Protection systems function by berthing the ship. There are calculations for determining how far the ship will ride over the dolphins before coming to rest, which seems to be as much as half the length of the ship. These calculations can include tidal flows, thrust of the ship, momentum of the water behind the ship, etc. So the follow up question is, would the dolphins meaningfully function if the ship could still continue for half its length in the direction of the bridge? I don’t know.

The other question is, could a retrofit even have been built in the harbor considering its space constraints and the composition of its bottom? The water under this bridge is very tight and the composition of the bottom is not favorable, so the attitude among the experts seems to be that building one would be possible but not practical. There’s not a lot of information presented to back up that claim, just a few tweets and a line in the NYT. So I don’t know either.

My own biases lead me to remember I’ve heard these same sources conceal their pessimism as pragmatism by stating many other objectively good state projects are “possible but not practical” while the state spends mind boggling amounts of money, effort, and creativity on objectively evil things. I’m cynical, but also, Baltimore is a great city, the same forces that made the city a decaying rust belt nightmare also make it possible for beautiful things to exist that couldn’t exist in any other city, and I’m heavily invested in it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Nice to see someone who presumably know things explaining what likely went down

I saw a few maritime folks saying that some ships/lines have a policy of keeping the emergency generator running during harbor-area maneuvers as a way to knock out the required testing of the generator and so that in the event of a power loss it is able to restore power in seconds vs nearly a minute for a cold start.

Also saw some cite the SOLAS convention which requires an emergency generator to restore power to critical systems including over-side and navigational lighting within 45 seconds, which makes the minute and a half long blackout very odd.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Antigravitas posted:

I wonder if the people using those tools ever go mad with power and continue stripping paint off things beyond their original target.

Imagine hiring someone to remove paint from a fence and a few hours later the cars in the driveway are glittering in the sun, all exposed metal…

When I first got a power washer to clean a deck, I pretty much walked around the outside of the house power washing anything within reach.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

CitizenKain posted:

When I first got a power washer to clean a deck, I pretty much walked around the outside of the house power washing anything within reach.

Siding, fences, vehicles, pets, neighbor’s kids…nothing was safe that day.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Some men think wiping their rear end makes them gay. Some are willing to power wash it. Who do you wanna date?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

When people rented power washers and I was loading them up, I used to have a schpeil about how the time frame works, since most people were like "oh i'll be back in an hour". I pointed out they get it for 4, so they might as well pressure wash anything that needed it, deck, sidewalk, siding, car, dog. As a joke.

Then someone did try to pressure wash their dog, who did not enjoy the experience.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The problem was that a tunnel would not allow vehicles with hazardous materials to use it, which is why they chose a bridge. There is a tunnel, but its off limits to hazardous materials.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

Feds Recently Hit Cargo Giant In Baltimore Disaster For Silencing Whistleblowers
Regulators cited Maersk for its “illegal policy” blocking employees from reporting safety concerns to the Coast Guard.

lol

:stonk:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_saz6vko0gK1qigfjt.mp4

spechtie fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 28, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Nice to see someone who presumably know things explaining what likely went down

This guy might be an expert on the subject but I, as a random person from the internet would like to point out why he is wrong.

First of all, the Lizard people in conjunction with the Rand corporation, the illuminati and reverse vampires had spies on board that ship to sabotage it by dumping piss on the steering wheel.
This caused the helmsman to be all like "EEEWWWW GROSS!!" and he let go of the wheel.

The lights flickering on and off the first time signalled to the lizard people that the plan was beginning to take place, the lights going off again told the reverse vampires that its time to wake up for the days.
All that smoke coming out of the stack was just to roll coal and own the libs.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

kreeningsons posted:

Thanks, that Reddit thread is pretty good. The day of the collapse, the attitude in various online places was that nothing could possibly be built to protect a bridge from a ship of this weight. Which is not really true, systems have been built that are rated to protect bridges from ships weighing this much. There was an attitude elsewhere that the ship was simply too large to be stopped by any man made device, which again isn’t true, the ship was stopped by the bridge itself after all, just after suffering catastrophic damage.

Now the conversation has shifted to two questions.

Are bridge protection systems rated for a direct hit or just a glancing hit? I’ve found some specifications online for structural dolphin systems, but nothing more recent than the mid 20th century. Protection systems function by berthing the ship. There are calculations for determining how far the ship will ride over the dolphins before coming to rest, which seems to be as much as half the length of the ship. These calculations can include tidal flows, thrust of the ship, momentum of the water behind the ship, etc. So the follow up question is, would the dolphins meaningfully function if the ship could still continue for half its length in the direction of the bridge? I don’t know.

The other question is, could a retrofit even have been built in the harbor considering its space constraints and the composition of its bottom? The water under this bridge is very tight and the composition of the bottom is not favorable, so the attitude among the experts seems to be that building one would be possible but not practical. There’s not a lot of information presented to back up that claim, just a few tweets and a line in the NYT. So I don’t know either.

My own biases lead me to remember I’ve heard these same sources conceal their pessimism as pragmatism by stating many other objectively good state projects are “possible but not practical” while the state spends mind boggling amounts of money, effort, and creativity on objectively evil things. I’m cynical, but also, Baltimore is a great city, the same forces that made the city a decaying rust belt nightmare also make it possible for beautiful things to exist that couldn’t exist in any other city, and I’m heavily invested in it.

Beauty is a very real consideration when it comes to things like bridges, especially. I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of the concrete cable-stayed bridge, but I'll go to bat for them over the precast girder bridges that so many places have defaulted to.
Baltimore also having to deal with hurricanes can't help make designing for beauty easier.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

The problem was that a tunnel would not allow vehicles with hazardous materials to use it, which is why they chose a bridge. There is a tunnel, but its off limits to hazardous materials.

That bridge did carry about 90% of road transport hazmat up the East Coast.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The alternate route, going around the west side of the beltway, is actually about a mile shorter for traffic passing through on 95. The problem is the west side has much more traffic, to the point where they're adding a 5th lane in some places, while most of the east side (including the bridge) is 2 lanes. There's a few reasons for this, mostly that there's just more people on the west side, but also people in the east side suburbs have more reasonable options for going into the city, including 95 itself, 895, and US routes 1 and 40, and to a lesser extent a number of surface roads. From the most populated areas of the west side there's just 40 and maybe Liberty Road. Through-travellers on 95 that aren't large/hazmat trucks also choose the west side over the east because there's no tolls - all three harbor crossings on the east side had tolls.

From what I've seen and heard over the past couple days, it's looking like the daily traffic impact from losing the bridge isn't going to be as big of a deal as most people were thinking.

Also I think most people in Baltimore are very aware what the problem with putting hazmats through tunnels is.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

This is how real men wipe/unwipe their rear end

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Antigravitas posted:

Fun fact: Train infrastructure in Germany is sometimes coated with synthetic DNA. Cables have the marker even on the wire strands.

Fools! That's how you will create copper golems! Yer playin' gods!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
From hell's heart mud pond's bottom I stab at thee

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

wesleywillis posted:

This guy might be an expert on the subject but I, as a random person from the internet would like to point out why he is wrong.

First of all, the Lizard people in conjunction with the Rand corporation, the illuminati and reverse vampires had spies on board that ship to sabotage it by dumping piss on the steering wheel.
This caused the helmsman to be all like "EEEWWWW GROSS!!" and he let go of the wheel.

The lights flickering on and off the first time signalled to the lizard people that the plan was beginning to take place, the lights going off again told the reverse vampires that its time to wake up for the days.
All that smoke coming out of the stack was just to roll coal and own the libs.

Actually a bee flew in and was buzzing the captain's head. Terrible tragedy, but not really avoidable

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

HolHorsejob posted:

Actually a bee flew in and was buzzing the captain's head. Terrible tragedy, but not really avoidable

No Seabees are our friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

How bad is copper theft in Japan?

CainFortea posted:

Then someone did try to pressure wash their dog, who did not enjoy the experience.