Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's crazy that people hurt themselves that much with linoleum. In my 6th grade art class, we had to make our own linoleum tile carvings so that we could make prints with them. I don't think anyone hurt themselves while doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I used to hang around by the art school when I was in uni. It was great, loved the joyous anarchy of coming in and some chick is nailing herself to the wall and someone else is messing around with expansion foam or paint-soaked tennis balls or whatever. Didn't witness any accidents per se, but someone apparently made some bad decisions in messing around painting with car paint. Can't remember the specifics.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kanine posted:

art school stories

My friend cut the top of his finger off (like just past the bottom of the finger nail) with one of these huge paper cutters :stonk:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ekuNNN posted:

My friend cut the top of his finger off (like just past the bottom of the finger nail) with one of these huge paper cutters :stonk:

HOW?
Was someone else operating it?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sininu posted:

HOW?

Bypassing safeties is generally something that's pretty easy to do. Stupid, but straightforward.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, unless that's just a random picture you found, you can see the two buttons that have to be pressed in order to operate it. His finger shouldn't have been anywhere near the blade if he was running it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think the worst thing I've done to myself in the woodshop is belt sanding the hell out of my knuckles

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

Wait a sec. How can you cut a finger with a paper cutter?

You need a finger cutter for that. :colbert:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

I think the worst thing I've done to myself in the woodshop is belt sanding the hell out of my knuckles

Yea this just sorta happens eventually if you sand enough stuff. Fingertips for me.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Sitting at the DMV, staring at my finger scars. This one's from whipping the end of P-cord with a lighter. This one's from getting a mcleod too sharp. Chainsaw sharpening...chainsaw sharpening...knife...knife...wood stove when I was like five...

Honestly, the worst scarred fingers I've ever seen are those old carpenters who've been doing it since the late sixties. Their hands are basically a scar tissue gloves from waffle nose hammers, nails, odd bits of metal, etc.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Deteriorata posted:

Wait a sec. How can you cut a finger with a paper cutter?

You need a finger cutter for that. :colbert:

Best I can do is a toe cutter.

https://i.imgur.com/IkAj9gD.mp4

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I toured a letterpress print shop owned by a friend of the family. They had a lot of rad press machines and were in the business of doing $50+/ea custom wedding invitations.
One of the machines was 80 years old and extremely pre-OSHA. The more modern ones had the things you'd expect in way of safeties, like requiring two hand activation of the press or cutter. Not this one. It ran continuously stamping, just like the knife stamping video earlier. It had zero safeties, and was turned on and off by a foot pedal, and had a giant exposed flywheel.
Insurance company called out injuries from that machine as a specific exclusion, and nobody but the owner was allowed to use it. I think it was something like 8,000 PSI of pressure being smooshed by that metal plate.

Getting your thumb caught in there would be like stepping on a grape.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

When the boat is in the water, the prop is pushing a bunch of water, which is hard. The engine is dumping a bunch of gas in to make it go fast when it's in the water.

Moments later, the boat is pulled out of the water, prop no longer has any resistance. Engine is still dumping a bunch of gas as before, everything speeds up.

Then, boat slams back into water, prop suddenly encounters the resistance again and has to slow down.

Repeatedly overspeeding/shock loading the engine.

e: f,b.

Worth noting: Its also losing its COOLING, since the water is how that outboard cools the engine. So overspeeding/shock loading AND suddenly overheating issues.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

A White Guy posted:

Honestly, the worst scarred fingers I've ever seen are those old carpenters who've been doing it since the late sixties. Their hands are basically a scar tissue gloves from waffle nose hammers, nails, odd bits of metal, etc.

We used to take brand new framing hammers and bang them together to make the waffle pattern less sharp. This only works on steel hammers, and they will flatten even further over time. Titanium hammers are wonderful except that they're hard enough that you can't do this with the waffle pattern so you have to be very careful with them(or very good!).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ror posted:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

canyoneer posted:

I toured a letterpress print shop owned by a friend of the family. They had a lot of rad press machines and were in the business of doing $50+/ea custom wedding invitations.
One of the machines was 80 years old and extremely pre-OSHA. The more modern ones had the things you'd expect in way of safeties, like requiring two hand activation of the press or cutter. Not this one. It ran continuously stamping, just like the knife stamping video earlier. It had zero safeties, and was turned on and off by a foot pedal, and had a giant exposed flywheel.
Insurance company called out injuries from that machine as a specific exclusion, and nobody but the owner was allowed to use it. I think it was something like 8,000 PSI of pressure being smooshed by that metal plate.

Getting your thumb caught in there would be like stepping on a grape.

Heard a story from a guy in a factory where, at a different job, they pulled out an old rear end machine like that to help clear up a backlog, the woman running it lost a finger or two, and they were ecstatic when she came begging for her job back instead of suing the place into oblivion. He told it as an amusing anecdote and laughed at the end. I've never been so angry at a person, but they were a major customer of ours, so I couldn't say anything about it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ror posted:

https://i.imgur.com/IkAj9gD.mp4

One shoe is a slicer, the other shoe is a meat locker

Walk a mile in my shoes and you'll never go hungry again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

One shoe is a slicer, the other shoe is a meat locker

Walk a mile in my shoes and you'll never go hungry again.

Why would you only wear one Hulk Hogan Meat Shoe?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Why would you only wear one Hulk Hogan Meat Shoe?

it's a colab. HOGAN X SLIZZERZ

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Whooping Crabs posted:

I can't believe that they were able to save her thumb. I hope her boyfriend survived, it seemed like he got the worst of it in the news article.

She mentions him a few times in her reddit thread (it's actually her boyfriend's brother)

quote:

He is fine! He just doesn’t remember the month leading up to the accident and has some scars along his body.

So basically and I’ve refrained from talking about him because that’s his own experience and he’s maintained a heavy desire for privacy and what not but what happened was, like my thumb, it blew a hole in his lungs and cauterized the blood vessels and nerves, so as he was being revived it was just leaking air out and blood on, a very well known surgeon just happened to be on board the ambulance that day doing ride ons and worked on him non stop bringing him back at least 12 times to the hospital. I’m glad i got some of it so he didn’t take the brunt and just die in front of all of us.

Yeah! He’s the youngest person in the states to survive life sustaining Ecmo in the entirety of his body. They are writing anonymous medical papers about him, seeing him and my boyfriend just gently caress around and bother eachother has never been less bothersome, it gives me a sense of peace.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/sGq5LWx.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVodkE47aLw&t=3362s

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

spookykid posted:

I mean it could but they don't because this is such a stupid edge case why are we even talking about it? and adjusting the valves as a response to a massive decrease in load?

:thunk:

So with all the responses I got from this; yes I know about variable valves, fuel and ignition cutoffs. What I was getting at is if you go from max engine loading to zero engine loading instantly, and the zero load+max throttle remains a sustained issue, you probably have much bigger problems, such as your vehicle being upside down, or your transmission/driveshaft/diff's catastrophic disappearance.

At that point the engine maintaining a happy RPM range should be the least of your worries.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, unless that's just a random picture you found, you can see the two buttons that have to be pressed in order to operate it. His finger shouldn't have been anywhere near the blade if he was running it.

Oh yeah its a random picture. I meant a huge mechanical paper cutter in general, sorry about that

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qitx0x49kZ1s1ddrj.mp4

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sininu posted:

HOW?

We have a bunch of those at work. We use newer models day to day, but we have some ones in mothballs that look really, really close to that model that get pulled out if one of the newer ones breaks down. As was said, the safety features on it are pretty easy to defeat if you put your mind to it, at least on the older ones.

New ones all require 3 inputs to be pressed nearly simultaneously to start, two hand buttons spaced well apart and a foot pedal that when coupled with the long front mean that it's drat near impossible to be in there when you're activating it. They also have a safety that means the buttons must then be released and pressed again to get it to drop again. If you're using it solo, your biggest risk of injury is probably RSI or hurting yourself lifting the paper into it rather than the blade itself.

Old ones though, who the hell knows. The biggest chance for fuckery solo would be if it didn't have the safety requiring the buttons to be released. Older ones were known to have it just be a simple electrical circuit, so a lot of idiots would tape down one button so they could work it with one hand.

Beyond that, most any safety system they have is easily defeated by simply not working solo. Those things are all easily large enough to have two people standing side by side and working together. At that point, all safety bets are off.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Azathoth posted:

New ones all require 3 inputs to be pressed nearly simultaneously to start, two hand buttons spaced well apart and a foot pedal that when coupled with the long front mean that it's drat near impossible to be in there when you're activating it. They also have a safety that means the buttons must then be released and pressed again to get it to drop again. If you're using it solo, your biggest risk of injury is probably RSI or hurting yourself lifting the paper into it rather than the blade itself.
At my old work I used one that looked like it was 30+ years old and it was the same.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

aphid_licker posted:

I used to hang around by the art school when I was in uni. It was great, loved the joyous anarchy of coming in and some chick is nailing herself to the wall and someone else is messing around with expansion foam or paint-soaked tennis balls or whatever. Didn't witness any accidents per se, but someone apparently made some bad decisions in messing around painting with car paint. Can't remember the specifics.

art school is simultaneously the most fun and the most suffering you will ever have in your life

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sex Skeleton posted:

We used to take brand new framing hammers and bang them together to make the waffle pattern less sharp. This only works on steel hammers, and they will flatten even further over time. Titanium hammers are wonderful except that they're hard enough that you can't do this with the waffle pattern so you have to be very careful with them(or very good!).

I did some experiments once actually casting/machining soft heads out of stuff like aluminum/plastic/rubber/etc. for hardened steel hammers so I could just change the head depending on the material I was thumping and wouldnt need to keep multiple hammers. It worked out ok, but ended up being more trouble than it as worth.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Kanine posted:

I did some experiments once actually casting/machining soft heads out of stuff like aluminum/plastic/rubber/etc. for hardened steel hammers so I could just change the head depending on the material I was thumping and wouldnt need to keep multiple hammers. It worked out ok, but ended up being more trouble than it as worth.

Why not just make an entire hammer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFtLXes2sGI

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Kanine posted:

This is already a product. McMaster's got changeable face hammers, sledges, or deadblows.

There's also similar changeable tips for tap-testing hammers, which have piezoelectric transducers to record the force of impact. We use them to measure vibration response: hit a part and record its motion using an accelerometer/capacitance probe/vibrometer/whatever, and you can compute the frequency response based on the motion and the input force. Changing tips gives different responses: a harder tip applies more energy over a wider bandwidth, so if you want to get high frequencies you generally use the harder tips, but you also run the risk of damaging your part. High-performance machining: we hit things with hammers!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Karia posted:

This is already a product. McMaster's got changeable face hammers, sledges, or deadblows.

There's also similar changeable tips for tap-testing hammers, which have piezoelectric transducers to record the force of impact. We use them to measure vibration response: hit a part and record its motion using an accelerometer/capacitance probe/vibrometer/whatever, and you can compute the frequency response based on the motion and the input force. Changing tips gives different responses: a harder tip applies more energy over a wider bandwidth, so if you want to get high frequencies you generally use the harder tips, but you also run the risk of damaging your part. High-performance machining: we hit things with hammers!

Ive used these hammers in research and read lots of papers on machining dynamics, but I’ve yet to actually see someone use these in industry.

Have you actually done tap tests in industry? What were you machining where the system dynamics were worth studying in this detail as opposed to just varying the DOC and spindle RPM until you figure it out?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

CarForumPoster posted:

Ive used these hammers in research and read lots of papers on machining dynamics, but I’ve yet to actually see someone use these in industry.

Have you actually done tap tests in industry? What were you machining where the system dynamics were worth studying in this detail as opposed to just varying the DOC and spindle RPM until you figure it out?

Yeah, you're right, they haven't gotten much adoption in industry: it's a bit too finicky and the kits are drat expensive ($60k for the full kit + software. Eek! There are lower cost alternatives now, but that's a scary number.) Personally, I've only used them on the research side. It's a really neat area that just... isn't really very useful. But tap testing is used in industry in a couple areas that I saw back when I worked at a machine tool builder. Essentially, I've seen it in places where chatter is likely to be extremely destructive and it's a safety concern, rather than just for productivity. There are two main cases there: when your spindle speed is extremely high, or if it's extremely low.

High spindle speeds basically mean aerospace work. Our aerospace group tapped their tools since chattering at 30000 rpm in a full cut is extremely dangerous: you'll damage your spindle, and those aren't cheap. Boeing I know uses it (or at least has someone who knows how to use it!) It's also most useful from a productivity standpoint at high spindle speeds, since the stability lobes are spaced farther apart and have higher peaks.

Low spindle speeds may seem weird, but the issue there is that you're exciting the machine tool structure, rather than just the tool or workpiece chattering. The natural frequencies of the machine's castings are low, since they're so heavy, often down below 20 Hertz. If you've got large tools in titanium or inconel or something, it's pretty easy to start exciting the machine base since your spindle speed is so low. Our hard metals group did lots of tool testing to evaluate what spindle speeds and widths/depths of cut were safe to run big tools at. Sometimes they'd have to tell customers "no, you can't run this 3" cutter at 200 rpm, you've got to increase it to 250 or you'll break your machine." That group is super sharp: one customer was complaining that they couldn't run a specific tool without chatter, so the engineers went in and designed a tuned mass damper for that specific tool to bolt onto the back of the spindle. Completely removed the chatter.

So yeah, tap testing is niche, but there are actual use cases for it!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
3D printing is gonna replace c and c machines

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

CarForumPoster posted:

Print til you can't print til you can't print no more.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

CarForumPoster posted:

Nah, the two will merge. 3D printed base and a c&c finish from the same machine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
3D printing will never replace CNC because some things are just better done with subtractive processes.

Good luck 3D printing wood as well as a tree, growing a monocrystaline turbine part, or keeping up with an engraver that’s removing a small portion of a large piece of metal.

Karia posted:

So yeah, tap testing is niche, but there are actual use cases for it!

BRB, making an app to help people tap‐test melons at the grocer’s.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 26, 2020

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Platystemon posted:

3D printing will never replace CNC because some things are just better done with subtractive processes.

Good luck 3D printing wood as well as a tree, growing a monocrystaline turbine part, or keeping up with an engraver that’s removing a small portion of a large piece of metal.

BRB, making an app to help people tap‐test melons at the grocer’s.

I use 3D printing as an additive medium to then create molds for casting and final subtractive machining/finishing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What if you 3d printed a CNC machine and then used it to make 3d printers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

wesleywillis posted:

What if you 3d printed a CNC machine and then used it to make 3d printers?

Your CNC machine will be lovely. I've thought about turning a few of my old broken 3D printers as parts for CNC or vinyl printers but I'm dealing with parts that have failed or lower quality. For example I have one 3D printer that cost me $1200 back when it was all kicking off and now my $300 printers are a huge factor better.