Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

The second photo is taken just above the middle yellow diamond on this map, that's less than 100km from Sydney, these fires started more than a month ago, but weren't supposed to begin till early January. Country hosed, so what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Dillbag posted:

There will be no more oversight. poo poo's been happening since cameras started rolling in BC and nothing ever happens.

Joi Harris was a professional motocross racer who was hired to double Domino on Deadpool 2. Although she was an accomplished racer, this was the first time doing stunts on a film. She had successfully completed the stunt in question five times, when on the the sixth take she overshot a platform, struck a curb, and was thrown helmetless through a plate glass window. During the investigation, the production claimed that it was "not possible" to CGI Zazie Beetz's face overtop a helmet, even though Fincher had done it with Rooney Mara in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo almost 10 years earlier. The studio received a Worker's Compensation fine, settled out of court with Harris' family, and the movie made a poo poo ton of money.

Late least year, Ron Perlman was driving a truck while shooting some non-union indie shitter in the Okanagan when he had a geezer moment and drove through video village (the area where the director and key crew members can watch what the cameras are capturing), running over a number of propane canisters that were being used to heat the tents, and causing a minor foot injury to one crew member. The producers reportedly attempted to continue shooting for the rest of the day, causing a number of crew members to quit. TMZ has footage of the aftermath.

In 2016, Maze Runner star Dylan O’Brien was almost killed during a "vehicle transfer" stunt when he fell from one vehicle and was struck by the other. He suffered serious physical injuries, including a traumatic brain injury. The production was halted and it took O'Brien almost a year to recover.

In 2014, on the set of Falling Skies, a parked but un-chocked production truck rolled backwards down a hill, pinning a Teamster security guard against a tree and killing him. The tailgate had been lowered to load equipment, and was reportedly a factor in his death. I actually heard someone say that "he was cut in half by the tailgate, but being stuck in that position kept him alive, so they brought his wife and family to say goodbye before they moved the truck, which they knew would kill him, which reminded me of how stupid people fall for urban legends, and also that the M. Knight Shyamalan movie Signs was loving awful except for that one scene where Joaquin Phoenix is watching TV.

In 1998, Vancouver stuntman Marc Akerstream was killed when he was struck in the head by a piece of flying debris while watching the explosion of an empty rowboat on TV series The Crow: Stairway to Heaven. You may remember him as the gang member Jackie Chan fights with a pinball machine in Rumble in the Bronx. Akerstream was not involved in the stunt, but was watching the explosion from the shore when debris ricocheted off a tree behind and struck him in the head.

In 1997, local stuntman Keith Perepelkin was killed in Squamish, British Columbia during filming of blockbuster Howie Long masterpiece Firestorm. Perepelkin was dropped from a helicopter attached to a 50-lb dummy, but his chute failed or did not open. He had never completed a low-altitude jump before, was wearing a high-altitude pack with no reserve, and the helicopter he jumped from was reportedly only half as high as it was supposed to be per the stunt permit. A number of non-local members of the crew fled the country after the failed stunt. I don't believe anyone ever faced trial, even though the stunt coordinator, Glenn Wilder, and executive producer, Louise Rosner, were charged with criminal Workers Compensation violations. The production was eventually fined a grand total of $60,000, which was probably more than that piece of poo poo made after publicity costs.

This is just Vancouver and the surrounding area. Google 'Sarah Jones Midnight Rider' if this post didn't make you angry enough.
I have worked on multi-million dollar TV series on which the stunt vehicle safety was reduced to "well he'll stop about here?" Not to mention the constant issues of people driving home for an hour after working twelve and rolling their four-tonne truck. The entire film and TV industry is woefully unconcerned with the health and well-being of its workers.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
So, layman question, if the critical mass of the plutonium those rods were made if is around 10kg, how come having them seated like that is so dangerous? Outside of the obvious 'don't leave radioactive sources laying around'. My understanding of what 'critical' means is clearly flawed.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Sagebrush posted:

Some are fixed and others float. There are a lot of different kinds.

Fascinating, so how do they compensate for the platform moving relative to the drill site on everything right of the compliant tower? After they struck oil is all good, it's a pipe, but during drilling?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

The little plastic table that's right up to the rail height is also :catstare:

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

shame on an IGA posted:

$1000/diagonal inch is a pretty close rough guideline, at least for the Siemens kit in my facility

Why are they so costly compared to common phone screens etc? More rugged?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

This is why you safety chain your poo poo, that's a Ronin R2 gimbal (approx 10k$AUD) with what I'm assuming is a RED camera (anywhere between 5-70kAUD) plus however many thousands on accessories, then lens that goes flying is potentially 'just' a stills 16-35mm so luckily only adds 2k to the total. Hope production bought insurance.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Cat Hatter posted:

There was a commentary track for an episode of Stargate where they wanted a first person shot of someone tumbling out of the gate. They were told the camera was too expensive to wrap in styrofoam and throw so they had to have a camera guy hold it and throw him instead.

Yeah sounds about right, the thing about the industry, at least below Hollywood level studio productions, is you're almost always working for folks who have underbudgeted and undertimed the work from the first pre meeting. Then the expectation falls on the crew to make the deficit up. It's capitalism's fault ultimately, but I've seen some near misses that would have been fatal if not for the victim being an inch to the left. All for a thirty seconds toothpaste spot.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

ekuNNN posted:

"An Indian air Force Jaguar strikes a flock of birds on take-off, causing the pilot to jettison the aircraft’s CBLS pods and fuel tanks, which cause an explosion upon impact with the ground."
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r7qryaI35o1vmay6q.mp4

'Causing' in the sense that the pilot was so badly trained that a bird strike made him hit the 'drop everything' button or in the sense that the bird strike made the pods unsafe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
What conditions have to be met to form an arc like that? I always figured the spacing on those lines was such that it wasn't a thing even with humid air and rain.I'm also interested in what determines its direction and speed along the line. Is it slowly burning the exterior of the cables as it goes, meaning it's moved forward by the new path of least resistance?