Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A random Imgur find that this thread should appreciate:

https://i.imgur.com/UICiLzC.mp4

Problem solved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

razak posted:

d) Dependent lividity

I choose to believe this means the children of the deceased are hopping mad about it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Seen in the meme thread, of all places:

https://i.imgur.com/eMSsz0o.mp4

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We now return you to the horrible radioactive death discussion, already in progress.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

The training does affect it a lot. Police training is infamously antagonistic toward civilians; it emphasizes that not only must cops maintain control of a situation and be the source of power in every single incident without giving any of it up, they get shown videos of people randomly attempting to kill cops during things like traffic stops to tell them "This can happen at any time. Any single person you interact with can just decide to shoot you in the face for no reason." Even the cops who aren't coming into the force as bloodthirsty sociopaths are conditioned to turn into them by making them treat every situation as one where they need to push people around and be ready to kill on the spot, while negotiation more complex than "PUT THE KNIFE ON THE GROUND!!!!!" is pretty much non-existent.

It's no coincidence that a certain emblem drains the flag of the red, white and blue in favor of their own gang colors and their own symbol (the blue line). It's a very clear way to get across that antagonistic attitude toward the actual people of the US.

But this isn't flag desecration because... um...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/UqHIbRG.mp4

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Nocheez posted:

Why not just hardware it and make that switch do nothing? It's exactly the same result...

Well, you know, there's that little label on it that says don't open, risk of electric shock, etc. Doesn't say anything about screwing a few bolts into the front panel, though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Remember last year when Oregon changed its law to finally allow self-serve gas, and people freaked out that suddenly they were being forced to do some highly technical and dangerous industrial job?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

uvar posted:

Speaking of illegal crops, there's a lot of poppies grown locally here (stealing the image from wikipedia though)

Lest we forget get sober.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mistle posted:

As for vehicles in the U.S., federal rules I think list two possible things may "fall from a moving vehicle":water and chicken feathers. Water is still a thing, but chicken feathers grandfathered in from the way back days when farmers drove birds to market.

:confused: How do they get there now, if they aren't driven there in trucks anymore? Does Scotty beam them up from the farms?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Source4Leko posted:

That ferret died because someone left the heat off in a barn over a weekend. The lab wouldn't let them get another ferret.

Oh no. :ohdear: Where are they going to find another worker of her caliber?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought it was they're going to be sprayed with cow manure because the truck on the shirt is pulling a livestock trailer.

Also the truck is a bull.

(Man, sentences I never would have foreseen myself typing...)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Isn't that the thing that killed Tasha Yar?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

From helmets.org, which is mostly about bicycle helmets but I'm sure a lot of this applies to hard hats as well:

helmets.org posted:

Occasionally somebody spreads rumors that sweat and ultraviolet (UV) exposure will cause your helmet to degrade. Sweat will not do that. The standards do not permit manufacturers to make a helmet that degrades from sweat, and the EPS, EPP or EPU foam is remarkably unaffected by salt water. Your helmet will get a terminal case of grunge before it dies of sweat. Sunlight can affect the strength of the shell material, though. Since helmets spend a lot of time in the sun, manufacturers usually put UV inhibitors in the plastic for their shells that control UV degradation. If your helmet is fading or showing small cracks around the vents, the UV inhibitors may be failing, so you probably should replace it. Chances are it has seen an awful lot of sun to have that happen. Otherwise, try another brand next time and let us know what brand faded on you.

At least one shop told a customer that the EPS in his three year old helmet was now "dried out." Other sales people refer to "outgassing" and say that the foam loses gas and impact performance is affected. Still others claim that helmets lose a percentage of their effectiveness each year, with the percentage growing with age. All of that is nothing but marketing hype to sell a replacement helmet before you need it. There is some loss of aromatics in the first hours and days after molding, and helmet designers take account of that for standards testing. But after that the foam stabilizes and does not change for many years, unless the EPS is placed in an oven for some period of time and baked. The interior of your car, for example, will not do that, based on helmets we have seen and at least one lab crash test of a helmet always kept in a car in Virginia over many summers. Helmet shells can be affected by car heat, but not the foam. The Snell Memorial Foundation has tested motorcycle helmets held in storage for more than 20 years and found that they still meet the original standard. See the next paragraph for lab testing of bicycle helmets showing the same thing.

https://helmets.org/replace.htm

tl;dr Replace it if it's taken an impact or has any visible damage, otherwise it's probably fine.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Zeond posted:

They also have a Concorde on the pier and the shuttle prototype Enterprise as well as an impressive number of airplanes parked on the carrier's deck.

They're doing a really nice job with the space shuttles. Endeavour will be set up vertically with an external tank and SRBs looking ready for launch, Atlantis is suspended in midair re-creating orbital operations, Discovery looks like she's just rolled to a stop after landing, and Enterprise... is on an aircraft carrier, because why not, carriers rule.

I love those old shuttles, but realistically they were deathtraps. Two of the 135 flights ended in disaster. In addition to the four surviving shuttles I listed, there are broken pieces of Challenger and Columbia displayed in a tasteful memorial at Kennedy Space Center. It was partially due to the design itself, and partially due to "normalization of deviance" on NASA's part -- the "we got away with it last time so I guess it's not really a safety problem at all" factor.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Hey that guy lives near me

I choose to believe you mean the elk.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powershift posted:

https://i.imgur.com/W6MYZPr.mp4

I don't know why imgur makes these so gently caress-off huge

Can't find a decent gif of the original Phil Silvers scene so here's the Simpsons homage.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

dr_rat posted:

really, there's no one who can win a fight with a chimp?

I mean, it'd also depend on the chimp. Like you could probably win against a baby chimp.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

I used to have a lot of fun pointing out "I bet you got this ripped episode of Battlestar from someone in the UK" because the voices were noticeably higher in pitch, and somewhere in the rip/conversion/playback chain someone or something got lazy.

Is THAT what caused that -- a 25 fps source being treated as 30? drat, mid-2000s mystery finally solved. Of the episodes I'd torrent, here and there would be one where Lee in particular sounded like he'd been huffing helium.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Fresh from the Newspaper Comic Strip thread, a lesson for us all:

Monty

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I remember that commercial! :member:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P0thy4DhgM

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

All this talk of bulbous bows has gotten Bulbous Bouffant stuck in my head.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

If I was having new concrete poured -- say a patio or a front walk -- I would honest-to-god pay to get a set of genuine bird tracks (or cat pawprints, or many other options) in it. People see it and smile, and it lasts forever.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Letmebefrank posted:

This can become quite interesting very quickly

Ah, I see they've expanded the original line of Action Cats™.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6484yvlKZ2I

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Ror posted:

https://i.imgur.com/TwPshI3.mp4
Apparently these need to be installed at a minimum height and with certain shaped sinks.

We had those at my old office. They work fine (with the right sink shape) but they have a real drawback when the room is busy: you have to keep bogarting the sink for a surprisingly long time while drying your hands, instead of moving off to dry elsewhere and letting the next person have it. It really cuts down the total toilet throughput capacity.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

:hellyeah:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Platystemon posted:

‘Swarf’ is a an underappreciated word.

Scifi writers should start using it in descriptions of destruction. Things made of wood are turned to splinters. Things made of metal are turned to swarf.

…unless they’re melted, in which case they become slag, which is a good word that sees plenty of use.

I really hope the plural of swarf is swarves.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Log082 posted:

No, no, it's totally different. See, with steam, the high pressure steam cuts the broom. With hydrogen, the broom lights on fire. It's important to keep these straight, so that you don't misidentify a potential hazard.

Run the steam and the hydrogen through the same pipe, so that if there's a leak, the water will put out the fire. :pseudo:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Out of curiosity, can someone with braces on their teeth get an MRI? I assume no. Are there orthodontists on emergency call to remove the braces from people who urgently need a scan?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

Are they made of magnetic metal?

I don't honestly know. I don't recall ever putting refrigerator magnets on my face to test that, when I had braces as a teenager.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

nomad2020 posted:

Only $800 a month to live in that!

Is that price still good? I can deal with rubble and corpses at that price point.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Wifi Toilet posted:

It's the next generation's "woman falling while stomping grapes" video

I haven't seen or thought of that in probably 20 years but I can still remember, as clear as day, the weird noise she made.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

When a word gets said too many times it just starts to sound funny. Torque torque torque.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

zedprime posted:

Stop kidding around. Swage is clearly not a real word.

Swage it too hard and it turns into swarf.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Welp, I'm going to hell for laughing so hard at that one.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Alucard posted:

But it's structural saran wrap

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

monolithburger posted:

Among the many reasons why I'm not an astronaut is that the call of the void would tell me to untether myself and float freely above the earth, and who the hell am I to disagree with notion?

Beartaco posted:

I've told people this exact same thing in the past and they looked at me like I was crazy or worse, just suicidal. To simply float away and give yourself to the vacuum of space? A very relaxing thought indeed.

February 3, 2006:

https://i.imgur.com/xX5PjRi.mp4

They were disposing of an old worn-out space suit by turning it into an amateur radio satellite and tossing it overboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

Since the subject of elevator operating modes came up here's an awesome defcon talk about elevator stuff. Plenty of osha/safety stuff I hadn't thought of too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHf1vD5_b5I

:hai: drat near any talk by Deviant Ollam is worth watching.