Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tie-down: A+
Location on trailer: F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

zedprime posted:

The internet is pretty great as a whole. But there's all these pictures of really exotic truck fuckling. Truck fuckling at really impressive angles. Truck fuckling with really unobtainably good looking trucks. Even violent truck fuckling. It's really starting to ruin my truck fuckling experiences in real life because of the shifted expectations.

Two-speed rear helps with that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Russia dashcam thread?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Zipperelli. posted:

Let's really get this derail going:

Tell me about how you all pump gas. Do you have the latch that let's you pump hands-free? Are you in some place where you're not allowed to pump your own gas? Let's derail this baby!

I'm in New Jersey :smug:

But I grew up in the civilized world, so sometimes I pump my own there. Freaks the attendants out sometimes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm looking for a GIF or video and this is the best place to ask. Near as I can remember, it's of three large power conduits that are wrapped in a helix, and because of... something to do with the current running through them, I want to say it has something to do with three-phase power, the cables are actually physically flexing around one another.

Am I imagining things or is this out there? Can anyone explain why that happens?

Electric Arc Furnace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j2jESz7Zl8

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CommieGIR posted:

I found out from a friend who does it and it added like $190 a month for his power bill.

Just for comparison: I have a Dell M1000e bladecenter than runs off 230vAC. It adds $25 to my bill.

I ran 27-strings of C-9s (the larger incandescent tapered bulb) on my 28' pine tree for several seasons. We calculated that, at nine watts/bulb, averaging 30/string (most of the strings were from the 60s) that it was pulling betweeen 7500-8000 watts accounting for resistance. I eventually ran a dedicated 30A breaker to a hot-water heater timer & on out with 10-2 to a heavy-duty receptacle, to a 10-ga extension cord, to a distributor that could handle the six extension cords coming off the tree. Think it added about $85/mo. Fortunately, it's only six weeks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Live-action Spirited Away looking spectacular

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Some fuckin' pilotage, right there.

e: there's sound. Forty-knot gusts :stonk:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 31, 2019

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Give us a trip report on the lot lizards while you're there.

Please: do not.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

In the 70's, I saw so many 75-77 Buick Apollos (Nova clones) that dog-tracked like that. They had to have come that way from the factory.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Holy poo poo! Thank you! This has been a thing that’s quietly bugging me for years.

I actually got on the air on Car Talk and asked the Magliozzis about it (around 1991). I think that they thought I was high or something; my call never aired.

At one summer job at a boiler plant, there was a secretary who drove a ‘78 Nova that had this problem. I thought the frames were all racked, or something.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

packetmantis posted:

My dad decided it would be a great idea to start driving a motorcycle at 60, and got in several minor accidents that were presumably fate warning him before he got in a huge one that totaled his bike, turned his shoulder to cereal, and broke his leg in like 15 places. He was bedridden for almost a year, with my mom having to tend to him like a baby and give him injections, and he wanted to buy a new motorcycle to get right back to riding afterwards. :thumbsup:

I started riding in France, when I was 14.

Moving back to the States and witnessing traffic here, particularly on the East Coast...nope.

I am 57 and will stick with convertibles, thank you kindly.

e:

By popular demand posted:

Bad idea: motorcycling at 60
Good idea: motorboating at 69
:quagmire:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 13, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

My parents used mercurochrome on my wounds when I was a kid and I turned out fine.

Hey, anyone else hereing voyciz?

Mine also, plus paragoric for croup.

Why no, I can't smell time.

(edit) In the late 60s, my dad (a research chemist) mixed up something called hyamine in the lab at Rohm & Haas, and we used it instead of mercurochrome. It was colorless & odorless and didn't sting. He said R&H had trouble marketing it outside of hospitals because people felt that, if the antiseptic didn't sting, it wasn't working.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 14, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The tragedy is that most homeowner's insurance will pay a fire department fee as part of indemnifying a homeowner's claim involving fire dept/EMS.

These fuckwad fire departments should know that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The last torque steer you'll ever experience.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

How is he still able to walk?

Shock can be like that. Give him thirty seconds.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

haveblue posted:

I think the question is, how are his legs and pelvis still functional mechanically?

Shock can impart a certain amount of the "Warner Brothers" effect.

That, and it seems that his legs & pelvis were not shattered.
Possible flail chest/duodenal rupture, though

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Meanwhile, the state of Vermont posts this handy ice-thickness chart:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

What are the clothespins doing there?

Gotta keep your sectionals somewhere

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Are there enough smart contractors who understand that an $X course from chitoryu12's company will eventually pay off with $Y less dollars paid out in damages?

Yes, but profits that quarter will drop

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Volcott posted:

I really like the "do not eat the singularity" one.

I thought that that one was "Stargate In Use"

No Cricket Bats
Really lovely Place To Fish
Surpise Zone

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GotLag posted:

If the aim is to prevent the nuclear weapon from falling in to the wrong hands why not simply detonate it if the vehicle stops unexpectedly?

It's the only way to be sure

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I had a white F150 with my company signs on the side and realized that I could park it anywhere if I had a shovel or some other tools laying in the bed. No parking at the beach? Restaurant parking lot full? Park on the grass between the sidewalk and the street. Even if there was no work to be seen in the area, I never got messed with.

I parked in Elfreth's Alley to inspect a home there. Technically, the entire street is a national park and is off-limits to casual traffic.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 6, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sagebrush posted:

Those numbers usually assume clean, dry pavement in best-case weather conditions. Can it stop in 3900' on dirt?

Not to mention the giant, water-filled pothole

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Christ, does that ever personify the thread title

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You gonna just dribble all day, or are you gonna shoot?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Um

Does he land somewhere

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's got a parachute.

a ballistic parachute?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Is that Bob Hoover? He liked to shut the engines down mid-flight.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Can't say I've seen a better analogy for the last three years of US politics.

e:

Considerate of him to go for the "automatic burial" option.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LifeSunDeath posted:

Worked at a coffee shop when I was still a teen. People would steal/do the nitrous canisters all the time. One girl would take nearly hour long bathroom breaks...come back clearly on heroin. She stole a whole till full of cash one day, plastic tray and all, but somehow didn't get fired, due to some deal with the manager and her. This bored house-wife who started working again for funsies, started banging this college kid regular and told me all about how she tried ecstasy for the first time with him and it was amazing and had opened her eyes! It was a pretty fun job.

Sir, this is a Tim Horton's janitor's closet

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Here's a guy who casually drives a deuce and a half

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi0a51ZqjOQ

Pro-click

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Check out the well-thought-out 2X4 roof joist/2X6 single rafter reinforcement supporting this chain hoist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enWqC_d9pJw

Bonus 2x4 cleats on the joist!

:catstare:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CannonFodder posted:

Fine, shove a LS7 in the back. Latitudinally.

https://www.ronsusser.com/inventory/listing/1966-two-engine-toronado-the-ultimate-sleeper-car-850hp/

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Pretty interesting way of getting totalling out your impounded car back.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Greetings, Blaine

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My niece works at the Mutter Museam (The Museum of the College of Physicians in Philadelphia) and spent most of the last year organizing their exhibit for the 1918 Flu Pandemic.

There are a lot of parallels.

http://muttermuseum.org/exhibitions/going-viral-behind-the-scenes-at-a-medical-museum/

They're closed for the duration.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So I'm not sure where this should actually go, but how are companies proving they're essential so that employees that have to commute through curfew areas have something to show the police if they get pulled over for violating curfew?

Or is it just "Print off the email where the company claims this and hand it to the cop if you get pulled over"?

Is this actually happening anywhere?

I called my local police station for guidance because the front plate on one of my cars was lost after a minor collision in Philadelphia (NJ has front & rear plates) and the only way to get duplicate/new plates is to go in person to the DMV - which of course is closed for the duration.

Desk sergeant said that no one is looking at that right now & not to be concerned about the missing plate.

Anecdote 2: my son's SO (who was driving the car at the time it was involved in the accident) talked to the responding Phila. patrolman about COVID response; he said that they have been instructed to put no one in the back of their cruisers, and get ID if possible on perps for later pick-up. Obviously I can't see this being the case for A&B felony situations but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Clamagore.

I thought it was tight (I am large) but the old submariner that gave us a tour said it was the Cadillac (Balao class) of diesel boats, with gobs more room than most of the earlier class (Gato) of WWII boat.

The Becuna is another Balao-class boat in Philadelphia, if you want to see one...