Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Memento posted:

Yeah used diff oil smells like rancid bacon and eggs combined with a healthy serving of hot death.

Still not as bad as draining a supercharger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I always put pool noodles on my guy lines when I went camping. I'd always catch poo poo for it, too.

Right up until the point someone running through the site would inevitably eat poo poo from tripping over someone else's line.

Example from google:

Mother gently caress, I had been trying to think of a way to make mine noticeable at races (notably Sebring) and this is loving brilliant. Thank you, seriously.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Messadiah posted:

edit: goddammit dump trucks are already load-bearing on a regular basis

Yes they do have a lot in common with your mother

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PurpleXVI posted:

I think my main question is "how do you train for wing-suit use"? Because I can't really imagine any way you could test it out without going whole-hog on the potential consequences.

You jump hundreds or thousands of times with a chute.

Then you practice open air squirrel suit.

Then you start tempting fate.

Then you're called an expert because noone else has jumped that many times without dying, because the ones who have are now dead.

A bridge/rock ring out a sound never before heard.

There's now a new expert in the field, waiting for his interview on how safe it is and the last guy just got unlucky.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Could be worse, when I worked at Maplin (think a crappier UK version of Radio Shack) I had a guy ask for the opposite. Something you could plug into a light fitting to get a socket you could then plug appliances into.
Turns out that people on the local markets would make them as you had to pay to get a mains plug but the lighting was free so they'd make adaptors to get free power for their market stall.

I know people who have every bit of outdoor power from those adapters. They're commonly available at pretty much every home goods store in the states.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Varkk posted:

It was probably inspected. But the inspection was probably just someone cruising past in a truck every few years to see if it was still standing.

Thats exactly what the thread says. They fly by them in helicopters and "yup, still there" then zoom away.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Collateral Damage posted:

Those are rifling marks in the copper driving bands near the base of the shell, which means this shell was fired. Which likely means the fuze is armed.

... I'd choose a better place to sit. Further away. Much further away.

"This is my safety, cap'n."

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

LifeSunDeath posted:

They come upside down in a cargo container full of mud, you have to fish one out like a grabbit game, it's full price.

Jeep owners would consider this a win, making it so they never again have to look for a large puddle to spray a light coat of dirt on the shiny bits.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cojawfee posted:

That's why you don't drive VDR into IMC.

Lies.

Put your foot down, Cole. You can make it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

KoRMaK posted:

im not sure if this is that one but here, its called ice cross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr33F6Bc6s8

Redbull Crashed Ice

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PainterofCrap posted:

I removed the guard for the first time because the purple scrubbie disc installed for paint stripping was hitting it.

Out of sight = out of mind, until my index finger suddenly got really hot.

Fear is good. Don't choke up on your unshielded grinder, kids!

That poo poo is the worst.

Also the worst is when you tell a few of your younger sailors the importance of aluminum grinding disc vs one for steel, and they ignore you then one comes running into the shop with bloody hands and a mangled face shield talking about "I dont know how it happened!"

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slanderer posted:

thank you for reposting a bunch of old poo poo from tumblr with 0 context, doing good work here

You have two pages of posts and 0 fresh content in 710 pages of thread, and you choose to talk poo poo about amusing videos.

Man I bet you're a hit at parties.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Karia posted:

People who play music that can be heard outside of their cars or houses should be executed. People who rev their engines at a stoplight should be double executed.

Lol you sound fun. Sorry, seem fun. Sound is offensive.

I used to work with a guy who wore safety glasses 24/7. Work, bar, working out, didn't matter. Finally he somehow managed to start dating a girl, and she convinced him he looked dumb as poo poo. So they went for a walk in downtown Tumon, GU and he left his safety glasses at home.

Sea gull poo poo in his eye.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Lazyhound posted:

I had my hearing (and life) wrecked by someone blasting a speaker in an electronics store. :shrug:

They gave you autism? :v:

Also I love you HGB

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ruflux posted:

Breaking Bad deliberately got chemistry stuff wrong to prevent people from using the show as reference material. Or at least the writers claim they did, it's also entirely possible they didn't bother researching that stuff too deep since it literally doesn't matter and being too accurate might have legal implications.

e: I think. I might also actually be thinking about some other show with a similar premise, but I'm pretty sure it was Breaking Bad.

Probably also thinking of Fight Club, where they change bomb ingredients so no one would make one from the movie.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think antifreeze has a boiling point around 230-240°F alone, unpressurized, so mixed, it's somewhere in between. It's been a while since I thought about that, but you're right, it's higher with actual coolant than just water.

50/50 glycol and water is 265 under a 15 psi cap. Pure water with water wetter added is 250.

Obviously sea level, ymmv, etc

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Kitfox88 posted:

What the Christ is water wetter?

It's for track cars to help raise the boiling point and increase cooling since they can't run glycol. Whether it does anything or not is up for debate.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'd load our Co-60 camera into a truck for transport to the job site. I can't find any pictures of what our cameras looked like, but they were big heavy boxes (like, about 3.5'x2'x2' IIRC) that weighed several hundred pounds because of the shielding (using layers of lead, tungsten, & depleted uranium). We used a (again, IIRC) 3mm Co-60 source for our exposures, cranked out from one of those giant boxes.

This is the only pic I could find of a cobalt camera, it's quite a bit smaller than the one we used so maybe there's been some advances in shielding technology, or this uses a smaller source or something idk

Co60 cameras are loving giant.

Last place I worked our vault was originally built for Co60 and all we had was small Ir192 sources so it was a massive vault for this tiny little camera.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's pretty awesome! I bet it contained the radiation pretty nicely. Our vault was just barely good enough for most of the x-rays we did. After stacking some cinder blocks around the outside of it we exposure was cut down to 2 mR/hr with the survey meters pressed against the bricks lol

Oh yeah, we were at maybe .01mr/hr at the highest point running a 240kV xray. The ir sources (90 to 150 ci) didn't even measure above background, even when we had 2.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Florida tag. There was no shortage in Florida.

There was after all the idiots panic bought for days on end.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MisterOblivious posted:

Yeah, it took us a long time as a species to realize that you have to train like it's a "real life" event, or people will act in "real life" like it's a no-consequences training exercise.

It's amazing how many people sound like the lady from Police Academy when you start doing any kinds of drills. Just absolutely meek and quiet, and it has to be drilled in that when it really happens poo poo is going to be loud and chaotic, and you need to project over and through that.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Psh. Commies do poo poo wrong.

You don't dry it up, you just pollute it until everything in it dies and it makes the air poison! Then you plant an astounding amount of the countries crops near it, and kill/maim migrant workers to provide cheap produce and also take care of immigration problems, duh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

deported to Canada posted:

It may be that the states treat this as an entirely different beast. I'm ex-military and have had compulsory drug testing (yes where they stare at your pecker) and I get it, it needs to be done to catch those that are using and to deter those who may be tempted.

Is US pre employment screening not the same? Does it not work by and large as a deterent for habitual users to even apply as they know they will be tested?

I can understand being opposed to testing if it has absolutely no bearing on their job safety. But we see from road traffic collisions how many people die every year from bellends who are too selfish to take a taxi or walk after having a skin full. These people do exist and they kill people. I mean would you employ somebody to drive a HGV for your company if you knew they had a past drink driving conviction? Would you ever struggle to trust them entirely to be legal behind the wheel?

I know people can change and redeem themselves but it must at least be a consideration.

I guess my badly made point is that if you want to take drugs recreational then carry on, but if you do a job where you could easily harm others by an act or omission then maybe don't be off your tits while doing it.

Literally no one has said they're cool with people being hosed up on the job.

But you shouldn't be unhireable because in your off time you smoke weed. I can get blackout drunk, drive in the next day and piss test, and be fine. But smoked a joint with a buddy two weeks ago? Obviously you're a menace to society.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slanderer posted:

Literally no one is arguing this so who cares

The last goddamn sentence of the post I quoted was talking about not being hosed up on the job, and people are continually making that point, because there is zero justification for pre employment drug screens as they currently exist, beyond the usual purpose of adding a hurdle.

Weird how salaried positions in the same companies rarely require one but hourly does.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

mobby_6kl posted:

Did you mean best case scenario?

I hope the Bagger 288 is safe :ohdear:

Rolling gently caress is fine

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

mobby_6kl posted:

I was waiting for him to get out

It's on liveleak, so pretty uneven chance that he actually doesn't.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah it was useless but gently caress it looked cool as poo poo

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The sign is just so they know where Rossi is, fuckin noobs

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BombermanX posted:

Kicking people away from ledges, quick and effective.

Needs an edit where each person is labeled d&d or cspam and the guy kicking is "rest of the forums"

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Batteries in the trunk tend to survive accidents better. It's a good move. People do it all the time to make room in the engine compartment for whatever poo poo they try to bolt on, I think some racing series require it be more internalized, with a cutoff switch.

But manufacturers hiding them isn't uncommon. Why put it somewhere accessible when you can hide it and charge 2 hours labor to replace it every 5 years?

My wife has an Escape where the battery is under the windshield cowl. Book method is remove the entire windshield cowl, swap battery, reinstall and pray you get the wipers, etc all back on correctly. It's like a 3.5hr Book job.

Or you remove the airbox and the front of the battery holder is held in with two clips and you pull it out the front, which takes about 30 minutes start to finish. Bless whoever invented ratcheting wrenches.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Thankfully I live close to Home Depot.

Nothing moved and it all made it so, calling it a win.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Destin strikes me as a big southern churchie who’s got enough experience outside of the south to know he doesn’t want any of what he’ll get if he injects religion into his science channel.

Now, a second channel of all bible thumper content? Wouldn’t put it past him.

I'm not religious and didn't grow up in a strict house, but I definitely still called adults sir/ma'am. I still say them just nowhere near as seriously or as often.

Same with using a Mr or Ms for someone, usually just because they're older (usually 60+) and well liked/respected, but I think that's more common in black (at least southern black) communities, which is where I spent most of my formative years.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I-.. whatt?? This is insane! :psyduck:

There's one of those by me but the bike lane just ends there with less than 300 feet of warning. It doesn't warn you that you're about to be in between merging vehicles, just that the bike lane ends.

I love cycling and motorcycling but gently caress doing either in FL. As poster above said though Melbourne does have some nice lanes; I always rent a bike when we go down there.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Flyinglemur posted:

Oh we talkin fingats?

I checked onboard my first ship the day it got back from a deployment down the east coast of South America, up the West Coast and through the Panama Canal back to Norfolk. I never forgave God for making me miss that. At any rate, there was a guy who got flown off the cruise halfway through to get some medical attention.

He was standing next to a watertight door like the one in the video, chatting away with his hand over the "knife edge" of the frame. Somebody walked through and closed the door and then dogged it down completely, with his fingers still in it. That was an amazing lesson to learn on Day One as I never put my hand anywhere near it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyxeC4I3bi8

There are also individual dog doors, without the big cool arm to do them all at once. These are usually above the water line and there was one that led from Combat (the radar nerds) into the bridge. The nerds always only used the one individual dog at approximately door handle height.

During the midwatch, whenever someone came out of Combat to talk to the officers or whatnot, I would reach up and dog one of the top ones. This resulted in a lot of funny incidents of them attempting to push open a door they expected to be open and wasn't. Gotta make your own fun.

edit: I went from that ship to Sub School. One day I was caught daydreaming by the instructor. He asked how many watertight doors were on a 688 and I said something like "I dunno, fifty?" Everyone laughed since he had just gone over that. The answer was 1*. One watertight door. Once I got over that shock, I understood why. But that was a good learning moment.

*-yes, I know that the answer is 7 technically, and that is the best kind of right. If I remember correctly it is the two escape hatches, weapon's shipping hatch, Engine room/forward compartment hatch, periscope into the Reactor Compartment, Washing machine and dishwasher in the galley if you wanna be a dick about it. I'm probably missing one or two as well but the "real" answer is 1

Had a chief who donkey kicked a QAWTD after yelling at a fireman to get out, so he could scream at the LPO.

He didn't wait for said fireman to clear the door. 2 fingers entirely severed, two hanging by tendons.

Guess which chief wasn't being paid yet and became a brand new E5 above his high year tenure :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sininu posted:

Are you sure about that price for a single plate? I used to operate the machines that prepared those metal plates for actual book and magazine printing and box of 50 plates was way under what you say one plate cost. I can't remember how much one box was exactly tho, it's been 2 years, but I knew it because you could very easily damage entire box of them if you made mistakes handling them.

I also loaded trucks with pallets full of used plates (they got thrown away immediately after use unless we had another order that used the same plates) which were extremely heavy, so you had to be careful with the forklift when braking so the back wheels wouldn't lift off the ground. :gonk: Very OSHA

Yeah, and even those flexo plates aren't that much. Depending on manufacturer and the tech you're looking at 50 to maybe 200 per plate. They get shredded once the job is done.

And flexo plates go bad when left out anyway. They're hardened with UV light (most commonly, anyway) and degrade when left in the open.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
You can just hear that load he took

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Azhais posted:

While I don't know that anything is going wrong in this picture, it's just interesting that that's how they do racetracks

https://youtu.be/keBjY5zSBkI

Short video that shows some of the equipment and techniques for repaving a high banked race track.

Bonus smart dudes with amazing southern accents.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slugworth posted:

"In th unfortunate circumstance that we get some kind of weather"

I hate when weather happens.

He means for the races, but it is a funny way of phrasing it. High speed ovals and rain (or water period) don't mix for racing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

GotLag posted:

Geese are cool maybe you should try not being a dick

Found the goose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Coffee Sludge posted:

Spent time in some shipyards when I was enlisted and seeing that picture I thought maybe a label like that would've saved the dude that picked up a source that was laying on the ground and put in his back pocket. The pictures they showed of the aftermath of that incident were horrifying. Dudes rear end literally fell off.

If you're close enough to read that label you're already hosed if it's Co60. Ir192, with the small rear end sources the navy uses now, you may live. You're gonna be miserable, but probably alive for a given value of the word.

By popular demand posted:

Light yourself a cigarette to calm your nerves.

Pretty sure that's a piss tank.