Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Cat Hatter posted:

Or they think a steel and concrete building might offer better protection from the weather.
I was thinking "why are people leaving the nice clear building to entire a hellstorm" but apparently the adjoining county was going up in flames so the proper response was in fact gtfo before everything burns to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

Or they think a steel and concrete building might offer better protection from the weather.

Brush fires can't melt steel beams

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Or they might just be confused about where their car is, if there's multiple exits.

Or the smoke could be so bad that they couldn't get to their car because of breathing problems.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, proceed directly to the hospital.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'd like to see you think up a faster way for limb removal!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's fine. You stand behind the blade and there's a warning sticker right there on the deck.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

There's absolutely nothing on God's green earth that can't be accomplished with American ingenuity.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TotalLossBrain posted:

There's absolutely nothing on God's green earth that can't be accomplished with American ingenuity.

Safety regulations that don’t require demonstration of their necessity first

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Humphreys posted:

America in a nutshell. You can see at least one person running the otherway to not miss out on the bargains.

You guys really are loving idiots.

Know what's better than a Costco Rotisserie Chicken? A smoked Costco Rotisserie Chicken.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/M1hzIJ3.mp4

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Like at a certain point you gotta start thinking, maybe this is a ladder situation?

Or maybe not. Got to admit, never built an ornate mountain path before. who am i to judge.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Reminds me how Marina Abromovic and her partner were going to walk the entire Great Wall as an art piece. The Chinese govt realized that no Chinese person had done it before, so they delayed Abromovic for years and scrambled to have some poor local railway clerk do it first.

https://publicdelivery.org/marina-abramovic-the-lovers-the-great-wall-walk/

Guess it was half the wall. Three months of walking.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
come for the tow operator abusing his equipment in a futile attempt to get someone killed and stay for entering an enclosed space with an active co2 tank leak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaLlBhvY6lM

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/v4Uxx8q.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

you know waterslides are best when you remain motionless as the slide moves around you, that's really the way to have fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That seems like it might be kind of fun though.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Cojawfee posted:

I'd like to see a full video of someone riding it first... Does seem like a lot of waiting for the position to be right and for gravity to work in your favor.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So if the ride jams, how long before you drown?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

While I don't know that anything is going wrong in this picture, it's just interesting that that's how they do racetracks

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Azhais posted:

While I don't know that anything is going wrong in this picture, it's just interesting that that's how they do racetracks

The tech is probably the same for racetracks but I'm pretty certain that's a highspeed oval track for some German automobile proving grounds they're paving.

Still cool to see though!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Azhais posted:

Pretty sure I beat this end boss in some random early 90's platform shooter game.

Trick is, don't fire randomly, just go for one segment first, and after one segments gone then all the rest become much easier.

Anyway hope this helps.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Wolfenstein 3 lookin' great

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Azhais posted:

In the US we just use a bulldozer to push the paving machine up the bank.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

It does, but how does the water work? Isn't part of a waterslide the whole "water" part that's pushing you along? How do you solve that in this? Or do you just ride on the little puddle of sitting water that's going to follow you around?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So if the ride jams, how long before you drown?

Not long enough

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Golden Throne development lookin good

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

sigher posted:

It does, but how does the water work? Isn't part of a waterslide the whole "water" part that's pushing you along? How do you solve that in this? Or do you just ride on the little puddle of sitting water that's going to follow you around?
Yes, this is pretty much what happens, the video caption isn't lying when it says it's a ferris wheel made out of water slide parts, it's not intended as a high intensity ride.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How involved is the rescue if the mechanism seizes?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Platystemon posted:

They just activate the expanding foam dispensers, and you get forced out like a turd.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Asehujiko posted:

Yes, this is pretty much what happens, the video caption isn't lying when it says it's a ferris wheel made out of water slide parts, it's not intended as a high intensity ride.

It is not intended, but with some ingenuity maybe it could be modified? First make it rotate at 1200 rpm and force water through it at high pressure...

Platystemon posted:

Explosive bolts between the segments so that a press of emergency stop makes it fall apart would be good.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Azhais posted:

https://youtu.be/keBjY5zSBkI

Short video that shows some of the equipment and techniques for repaving a high banked race track.

Bonus smart dudes with amazing southern accents.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
No JPEG but had a safety guy from the higher ups come in and demand that someone in a… imagine a one man scissor lift, that’s close enough, tie off a fall ARREST, not restraint, system.

To the GUARDRAIL OF THE loving LIFT.

I wrote a gigantic email explaining OSHA and company fall protection standards and exactly why that is loving insane and way worse than just having someone in a goddamn scissor lift.

And at the heights they were working at there was basically zero protection from a fall arrest system, it might slow them down a bit but they were hitting the floor if they fell.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

iwentdoodie posted:

https://youtu.be/keBjY5zSBkI

Short video that shows some of the equipment and techniques for repaving a high banked race track.

Bonus smart dudes with amazing southern accents.
"In th unfortunate circumstance that we get some kind of weather"

I hate when weather happens.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Slanderer posted:

someone getting fired?

Also yes, it took me about fifteen days to find them via snitches and cameras, and another day or two while dealing with some other Serious Paperwork to get the “please fire this person into the loving sun” process approved.

One thing that gets me full Captain Ahab is subverting a safety device. That’s when people learn I can’t be bargained with, I can’t be reasoned with. I don’t know pity, remorse or fear. And I will not stop, EVER, until they are fired.

(When I was here for five weeks on a short term training assignment there was so much terrible poo poo going on I was known as “The Terminator” from all the firings- stuff like climbing on racking, playing tag in forklift racking, etc)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slugworth posted:

"In th unfortunate circumstance that we get some kind of weather"

I hate when weather happens.

He means for the races, but it is a funny way of phrasing it. High speed ovals and rain (or water period) don't mix for racing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ugly In The Morning posted:

No JPEG but had a safety guy from the higher ups come in and demand that someone in a… imagine a one man scissor lift, that’s close enough, tie off a fall ARREST, not restraint, system.

To the GUARDRAIL OF THE loving LIFT.

I wrote a gigantic email explaining OSHA and company fall protection standards and exactly why that is loving insane and way worse than just having someone in a goddamn scissor lift.

And at the heights they were working at there was basically zero protection from a fall arrest system, it might slow them down a bit but they were hitting the floor if they fell.
Maybe I'm imagining the wrong thing and anyway this comes up occasionally in the thread as contentious. But while equipment baskets can be qualified as an area of fall restraint it requires a degree of administrative control by the worker not to jerk around the basket during the work activity and ensure the base isn't going anywhere ex. it's protected from other equipment traffic. Besides just basic no poo poo stuff like don't abuse the guardrails.

Requiring tie off with arrestors in a basket then becomes a way to back up those administrative controls with a more conservative approach. Similar to how 5ft has largely become the working at heights standard instead of the OSHA specified 6. Also similar to 5ft heights, many arrestors assume 6 ft (ripstich especially) and when you're working at minimum height you need to be really careful with lanyard slack. If your complaint is you aren't getting the tools to enable safe compliance at the lower end of height work, then phrase it that way.

The safety bean counter approach to anything at height is going to lean toward fall arresting just because throwing on your harness is a low burden. It only takes like 5 minutes to inspect and don your harness. Of course if you don't have enough harnesses and training that's a different complaint again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Maybe I'm imagining the wrong thing and anyway this comes up occasionally in the thread as contentious. But while equipment baskets can be qualified as an area of fall restraint it requires a degree of administrative control by the worker not to jerk around the basket during the work activity and ensure the base isn't going anywhere ex. it's protected from other equipment traffic. Besides just basic no poo poo stuff like don't abuse the guardrails.

Requiring tie off with arrestors in a basket then becomes a way to back up those administrative controls with a more conservative approach. Similar to how 5ft has largely become the working at heights standard instead of the OSHA specified 6. Also similar to 5ft heights, many arrestors assume 6 ft (ripstich especially) and when you're working at minimum height you need to be really careful with lanyard slack. If your complaint is you aren't getting the tools to enable safe compliance at the lower end of height work, then phrase it that way.

The safety bean counter approach to anything at height is going to lean toward fall arresting just because throwing on your harness is a low burden. It only takes like 5 minutes to inspect and don your harness. Of course if you don't have enough harnesses and training that's a different complaint again.

This was a “any fall impact will clearly tip the machine” situation with an improvised tie off (that wasn’t even a proper knot) so they could operate outside the basket.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Basically the guy is a talented administrator but his actual implementation is lacking- he has only a year and a half of safety experience, mostly routine warehouse stuff, and thirty years of experience with finance on Wall Street. My last job was heavy construction safety with a lot of work at heights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"But it gonna tip it" is a simple weight capacity review. I think it depends on the arrestor but its something like 3-5 times the weight of the worker is what will be experienced at the tie off point during the duration of the arrest with some safety factor built in if you are in a situation where you swing. I know common JSAs for working at height will specify the safety factor for tie offs to mobile equipment. Most equipment will rate for enough for a human to tie off knowing its a widely used practice but may leave you without weight for tools and parts. If your equipment varies capacity based on its configuration i.e. reduced due to extension or rotation and you're in a configuration that the arresting weight is out of capacity that's a gently caress up of its own.

I'm still kind of confused if the complaint is he's too strict or not strict enough or just confusingly in the middle. The words improvised and knots together with outside the basket are huge red flags but I'm also reading somehow an alternative is working inside the basket completely? To be clear on my preferences, in order of state of the art: tied off in the basket > in the basket > tied off to the basket working outside >>>>>>>>> somehow lanyarded to the basket with knots for some reason