Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is there a recommended point to plan in an intermission for this? Like a good natural dramatic pause?

Maybe the first scene with Hoffa, but that might be too early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Budgie Jumping posted:

I was actually surprised by how much I liked Maniscalco in that role.

I agree. I did a double take when I first saw him, but he really was a great fit for the role.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

I don't remember where I saw it, but the best point I saw made was "if coppola made the godfather part 2 today would he have deaged Brando, or would DeNiro still have been in it?"

In the Netflix featurette Scorcese explained that by de-aging the actors he could ensure the continuity of each character's interpretation, and I found that persuasive. If you have two actors playing the same character they're inevitably going to have different approaches and thoughts as to the character's personal thoughts, ideology, and mannerisms. That could be interesting, but I found the continuity in The Irishman to be powerful. For instance, one of the themes of the movie is that Sheeran cannot change and adapt, but if you had different actors playing him he obviously would change.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 4, 2019

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Khablam posted:

I feel like if you do this with relatively unknown actors, people pretty much just accept it. Moonlight should be all you need to see for that to ring true.

But in Moonlight I thought that part of the effect of switching actors was to emphasize an extremely dramatic transformation, especially between the second and third acts. The final act subverts that by revealing that the main character actually didn't change all that much, but you can't get that subversion without first suggesting a discontinuity by switching actors and acting approaches.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 4, 2019

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This felt like a two-hour Hoffa movie bookended by a 90-minute Frank Sheeran biopic.

I think this is the movie's biggest weakness. The focus on Hoffa is so overwhelming that you don't get enough of the actual relationship between him and Sheeran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly I think it was just a fish, and the conversation is to demonstrate that Frank has his radar on high alert for threats and is pulling at any tiny thread he notices that might indicate something is amiss, AND Jessie Plemons character is an oblivious idiot who will go pick up a fish and deliver it without even noticing what type of fish it is.

Frank doesn't want to sit in the front seat with the other guy behind him. The other guy, by harping on about the fish, is trying to tell Frank that it wasn't a set up and that there really was a fish in the back, but Plemons is dumb and the conversation doesn't go anywhere useful.