Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSts_WOEE-s

Another year has come and gone, ADTRW, and that means it's time to reminisce on all of the very neat Japanese cartoons we watched this year. Of course, this year is pretty special to some reminiscing, as it's the final year of the 2010s. There is debate over whether 2019 or 2020 is the final year of the decade but I'm here to tell you we count decades cardinally and not ordinally like decades. It's the 2010s, not the 201st decade and it's dumb to not include 2010 in that, it's not affected by the year 0 problem. It's also all arbitrary anyway, time doesn't exist. Stew on that one.

The 2010s in anime brought plenty of their own changes to the world of anime and manga. The continued embrace of digital animation, the rise of 3DCG productions, the advent of simulcasting and the largest international audience anime has ever enjoyed in the wake of the 2000s boom. Studios have come and studios have gone, we've had the ends of long running classic shonen, an increase in light novel adaptations, especially isekai, new flavors of the month, and stuff that has become classic in its own right. Series that have been entertaining people for decades finally got adaptations into anime, an all-time classic enjoyed a renaissance like never imagined, we've been getting several high profile international productions, and plenty of creators have been getting a long-deserved spotlight.

Of course, not everything has been good. From terrible natural disasters in Japan to gross misconduct from people working in the industry, and even an unspeakable tragedy that's left a beloved studio crippled for the foreseeable future, these too shape the industry, what comes out of it, and how we engage with it.

I understand that this is a lotta kinda sappy words for a thread that's basically "What's your favorite Japanimation" but hey, let's indulge.

So let's all share the best of the best not only of this year, but of the entire decade. I, for one, have looked through the TV anime of all 10 years and compiled of list of my favorite anime from each year and a handful of honorable mentions.

Anime of the Year 2010: The Tatami Galaxy

My first exposure to Masaaki Yuasa, who has become my single favorite director working in anime, The Tatami Galaxy is a perfect primer to Yuasa as a creator. Taking a typical college novel and adding a layer of magical realism to the visual presentation elevates the work into something truly special. One of the few works I've wanted to watch again immediately after finishing.

Honorable Mention: Panty & Stocking

Anime of the Year 2011: Tiger & Bunny

An underdog story if there ever was one, this show had to appeal to possible product placement to even get made. This superhero story lives and dies on its writing, providing us with one of the most lovable ensemble casts anime has to offer, and a unique take on its genre.

Honorable Mention: Fate/Zero, Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Anime of the Year 2012: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has thrilled Japanese manga readers since the late 80s, but outside of an OVA series and an ill-fated movie, the series had never fully made the jump to animation. Not only did this finally start a full adaptation of the classic series, but it kickstarted Jojo in the west from a cult classic stymied by trademark law to a full-blown phenomenon still stymied by trademark law.

Honorable Mention: Lupin III: The Woman Named Fujiko Mine, Jormungand

Anime of the Year 2013:
Samurai Flamenco

Samurai Flamenco is a fuckin' trip, man. What starts off as a mere tokusatsu-flavored take on Kick-rear end finds itself mutating and evolving into much more. So, so much more. You cannot believe how much more. This one flew a bit under the radar, but oh my gosh trust me, it's gonna stick with you for better or worse.

Honorable Mention: Kill la Kill, The Devil is a Part Timer

Anime of the Year 2014:
Space Dandy

Humanity did not deserve Space Dandy. From the legendary Shinichiro Watanabe, Space Dandy is an anthology series like no other. Airing on Toonami with an English dub before the Japanese version would (a model which the success of has come to define Funimation's streaming releases), this show is uproariously funny, at times heartbreaking, and an absolute visual tour de force of some of the greatest creators working in Japanese animation.

Honorable Mention: Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Parasyte

Anime of the Year 2015: One Punch Man

Speaking of absolute visual tour de forces of some of the greatest creators working in Japanese animation. From shittily drawn webcomic to the god of manga's self-indulgence to an absolutely stunning in every way action show. Talk about a glow up. Even a disappointing second season years later doesn't diminish how much Saitama and his adventures rocked the world.

Honorable Mention: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Lupin III Part IV

Anime of the Year 2016: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

A fan-favorite arc of Jojo got a pretty drat great adaptation, taking viewers on a journey through the bizarre summer of 1999 in the small town of Morioh. A little more laid back than Jojo before it, our favorite trio of absolute morons find themselves at the center of several mysteries that threaten the peace of their golden community, including one of the series' best villains. And also they ate pasta. And DC Douglas said cock

Honorable Mention: Mob Psycho 100, Space Patrol Luluco

Anime of the Year 2017: Little Witch Academia

One of Trigger's first major works was an OVA for the Anime Mirai project, showcasing the talents of fresh new animators. In 2017, that OVA got adapted into a delightfully fluffy and magical television series where an untalented witch discovers the magic of her own heart while chasing the shadow of her idol. Wonderful art and animation and a charming cast bring you into the world of Luna Nova and make you never want to leave.

Honorable Mention: Kemono Friends, Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond

Anime of the Year 2018: Pop Team Epic

What the gently caress was Pop Team Epic, y'all? An absurdly chaotic adaptation of the equally chaotic 4koma, Pop Team Epic was absolutely unexpected and challenged the norms of anime, like "making sense" and "not being lovely." This motherfucker had me rolling in laughter about 3 minutes into the first episode and never let up.

Honorable Mention: Megalo Box, SSSS.Gridman, Devilman Crybaby, Aggretsuko

Anime of the Year 2019: The Promised Neverland

I'll admit that I haven't watched a whole lot from 2019, and it's been kind of a weird year where there's been plenty of good anime, but I had to kinda think about what I thought was good enough for AOTY. I decided to pick what was the most pleasant surprise of the crop of new Jump adaptations this year. An intense thriller about a group of orphans who discover a terrible secret about their home, The Promised Neverland brought back memories of the best mindgames of series like Death Note, though a little less keikaku. I came out of the first season immediately wanting to know what happened next.

Honorable Mention: Dr. Stone

So what was hot and what was not in anime? Vote now on your phones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

symphogear

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Inferno Cop, easy win.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

non non biyori is the best anime of all time and therefore also the best anime of the decade

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

2010: K-On!! No explanation needed. Could have been FMA:B but since it began in 2009 it's kinda cheating.
Honorable mention: Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru. It's been almost literally a decade since I watched it but I remember it as delightfully weird and the last? episode hit me like a truck.

2011: Nichijou. Madoka is probably a better anime but I enjoyed Nichijou (and continue enjoying every time I rewatch it) far more.
Honorable mention: Madoka. Watched it once and that was enough.

2012: Daily Lives of High School Boys. Same reason as above.
Honorable mention: Symphogear. I watched it very recently and it was a trip. I should probably watch the rest.
Should have watched: Hyouka. It looks so good but for some reason or another I keep skipping it.

2013: Non Non Biyori. I guess? I didn't watch much anime that year. Even Non Non Biyori I only watched years later.

2014: Shirobako. So good. I can't remember if I watched it live or not but I do remember loving it.
Honorable mention: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, for the same reason as every comedy in this list. Originally my first place until I noticed Shirobako was also during 2014

2015: Hibike! Euphonium. Incredibly beautiful with interesting characters and drama.
Honorable mention: Haikyuu!! Second Season. It took me a while to warm up to the first season of Haikyuu but by the time I watched the second season I was all ready to cheer and cry for everyone.

2016: Hibike! Euphonium 2. Same reasons apply. The relationships and the drama get somewhat messier but I think that makes it more interesting.
Honorable mention: ReLIFE. Although I remember the manga more than the anime for some reason.
Should have watched: March comes in like a lion. I bounced after maybe 10 episodes but I really want to give it another shot.

2017: Recovery of an MMO Junkie. It ended up being very serviceable but some reason I loved every second of it.
Honorable mention: New Game!! had so much heart after the middle of the road first season.

2018: A place further than the universe. I don't even need to check MAL to know this was my favorite anime that year. Maybe my favorite of the entire decade.
Honorable mention: Yuru Camp△
Biggest dissapointment: The new Card Captor Sakura. It completely failed to grab me but I don't know if the show changed since the first anime aired or me. I even made the thread!
Should have watched: Revue Starlight. It looks like something I'd really enjoy but the subtitle thing dissuaded me just long enough to completely miss it at the time.

2019: Kaguya-sama love is war. The second coming of God could have aired this year and Kaguya would have still won 2019.
Honorable mention: Mob Psycho 100 II. I enjoyed it far more than the first season and it made me read the manga.
I wish I had thought about including a third place: Machikado Mazoku.

My Hero Academia should probably have gone somewhere above since it's the one shonen I watch but no full season was good enough to dethrone any of my picks.

While making this list I realized I haven't watched _a lot_ of anime that everyone talks about so I'm 100% ready to watch everyone's picks.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm nominating 2014 as year of the decade, it had it all

Haikyuu S1, the best sports show of the century

Love Live S2, the best snow halation Love Live

Barakamon, the best heartwarming/kid featuring anime

Gundam: G no Reconguista, the best Gundam and the one featuring the most Klim Nick

Ai Mai Mii, the best short form mean spirited anime I've seen in a while

D-Frag, the best long form mean spirited anime I've seen in a while
https://files.catbox.moe/c5px7o.webm

Happiness Charge Precure, the best group of precures being awful at their job

Cardfight Vanguard G, the best show ostensibly about card games
https://twitter.com/i/status/1199510597739483136

Magic Kaito 1412, the best thing to come out of the Conan franchise

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
teekyuu was 2012 and the world has never been the same. this decade has been kind to short form comedy and the high octane tennis series thats never actually about tennis and also ruined that berserk anime is a key player.

teekyuu

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like Fate is probably gonna get super slept on in this discussion and it shouldn't be

Even if you don't think the franchise is worth much in and of itself, ufotable has been putting in some serious loving work on it, and I'd be pretty inclined to call Fate/zero one of the best action anime ever made (with UBW not far behind it)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

apo is a better action anime than zero

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Does anyone have the results of the ADTRW polls from previous years? They used to be on the wiki but that's gone. Might help jog people's memories as far as what aired when.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Agronox posted:

Does anyone have the results of the ADTRW polls from previous years? They used to be on the wiki but that's gone. Might help jog people's memories as far as what aired when.
somewhere in there

2018-12-27 00:24 [dogsicle] The Best Anime of 2018 <https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878097>
2017-12-26 02:24 [dogsicle] The Best Anime of 2017 <https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844642>
2016-12-27 01:26 [dogsicle] Return of the Best Anime Thread 2016 <http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803078>
2015-12-20 20:36 [darkgray] The Best Anime of 2015 <http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756730>
2014-12-20 16:53 [darkgray] The Best Anime of 2014 <http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689211>
2013-12-21 02:57 [darkgray] The Best Anime of 2013 <http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3596374>
2012-12-22 19:26 [darkgray] The Best Anime of 2012 <http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3524217>
2011-12-24 14:44 [darkgray] The Best Anime of 2011 <http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3456794>
2010-12-23 23:38 [darkgray] The Best Anime of 2010 <http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375936>

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aurora posted:

apo is a better action anime than zero

I mean, I feel like this depends on what you're looking for out of your action anime

If you just want to see a bunch of cool poo poo and you don't care about the story or characters underpinning it, yeah, Apocrypha is probably better simply because it has more fights, but Zero has way, way better writing, and way more likable characters, and that makes it easier to actually get invested in the action

e: like, Zero is kind of talky and light on the fights, but I can't think of a single one out of the bunch that isn't one of the hypest loving things I have ever seen in an anime, whereas Apo throws a bunch of poo poo at the wall and made precisely none of it stick

Also Apo has that terrible loving Jack the Ripper design and anything with that in it is auto disqualified

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Zero has way, way better writing, and way more likable characters,

:thunk:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

there's a grand total of one human and one Servant in the entire cast who aren't either sympathetic or fun to watch, they're stuck together, and they're explicitly The Worst People and the climax of s1 is everyone banding together to kick their poo poo in

Kiritsugu is a fun as gently caress protag, Kirei is a great villain at his arguable best, Waver is a good wholesome boy, Kayneth is a hilarious rear end in a top hat, and everything involving Kariya and Tokiomi makes my heart hurt every time I rewatch it

meanwhile out of the Servants, Artoria is Artoria and has a really good arc, Gilgamesh is... Gilgamesh and is as fun as ever, Diarmuid is a great character whose last scene chills my loving bones every time I watch it, Iskandar is obviously awesome, and while Hassan and Lancelot aren't really well-developed characters they're both cool as gently caress and get some really badass moments

i can see thinking Zero is a bit overly grim but to say it's badly written as a result, or has bad characters, is ridiculous

e: like, the worst things I can say about the series are that it's kind of a sausage fest in a franchise that usually has really loving awesome female characters, and that the tone is kinda Marmite nowadays since a lot of people have developed a unilateral utter hatred of stuff where nobody gets a particularly happy ending

but... respectively, that's a pretty minor gripe (imo at least somewhat alleviated by how much of the focus is on Artoria) and something that's not actually the series' fault

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 27, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is so subjective it isn't really worth arguing over

for my money i didn't really get into either writing-wise but i think apocrypha's animation is cooler just for how much weirder and freer it is, ufotables can do good stuff but i'm not a fan of how heavy on digital effects their action shows tend to be. a lot of people seem to be into it though so w/e i guess, fate/zero isn't quite as egregious as like, zestiria the x's giant ugly water dragon

i wouldn't really nominate any fate anime for best of the year but that has more to do with fate anime adaptation stuff being pretty piecemeal in what it covers and a lot of fate's best writing is just kinda in other forms of media, like i'm sure the heaven's feel movies are good but it feels weird to me to consider that whole story separated from the whole of f/sn like that

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 27, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Colonel posted:

this is so subjective it isn't really worth arguing over

for my money i didn't really get into either writing-wise but i think apocrypha's animation is cooler just for how much weirder and freer it is, ufotables can do good stuff but i'm not a fan of how heavy on digital effects their action shows tend to be. a lot of people seem to be into it though so w/e i guess, fate/zero isn't quite as egregious as like, zestiria the x's giant ugly water dragon

yeah I'm not really trying to start a big debate as to its merits, I was just throwing it out there as a worthy dark horse that would've probably gotten slept on if I didn't (since it came out right at the start of the decade)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah I'm not really trying to start a big debate as to its merits, I was just throwing it out there as a worthy dark horse that would've probably gotten slept on if I didn't (since it came out right at the start of the decade)

i don't think it would've been slept on as much as you think, fate is an immensely popular ip and zero is the part of it that a lot of people who aren't already into it seem to gravitate to pretty often, even in recent years. odds are if people don't bring it up it's just cause there was other stuff that same year that clicked with them more

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't wanna turn this into a derail and I don't dislike Zero as much as some people I know, it certainly held my attention and I wouldn't shoo a fate fan away from it, but having watched it earlier this year I thought the pacing was kinda funky, I didn't connect with much of it, and what especially landed only got a handful of scenes across the whole show. Though yeah, if anyone's dumping on it being *dark* that's pretty silly, since if anything it's pretty clear tragedy that arguably falls into overdone melodrama (kiritsugu has like, four women die in nearly-consecutive eps to Sad Man over).

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Apo throws a bunch of poo poo at the wall and made precisely none of it stick

what the gently caress

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Are we going by start date or ending date here? I know we usually go by ending date in year threads but I'm going by start in my list because it feels right lol. I know Beastars hasn't ended yet but I'm going with my gut.

2010: Katanagatari
2011: Chihayafuru <-- anime of the decade
2012: Hyouka
2013: Gatchaman Crowds
2014: Shirobako
2015: Wakako-zake
2016: Tonkatsu DJ Agetarō
2017: Land of the Lustrous
2018: A place further than the universe
2019: Beastars

Runners up: The Tatami Galaxy (2010), Nichijou (2011), Hunter x Hunter (2011), Non Non Biyori (2013), Mushishi Zoku Shou (2014), Sound! Euphonium (2015-16), Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju (2016-17), Girls' Last Tour (2017), Magical Circle Guru Guru (2017), Yurucamp (2018), Bloom Into You (2018)

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So are we eventually working towards a "best anime of the decade" vote without a year-by-year breakdown?

If so, what's the ruling on long-running series that started before 2010 but carried on after it?

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

2010: Princess Jellyfish (Runner ups: Tatami Galaxy, Durarara)

2011: Nichijou (Fate/Zero, Madoka, Steins;Gate)

2012: Girls und Panzer (Humanity Has Declined, Psycho-Pass, Joshiraku)

2013: Kill La Kill (Log Horizon, Tamako Market)

2014: Mushishi Zoku (Ping Pong, Shirobako, No Game No Life)

2015: One Punch Man (Death Parade, Shokugeki no Soma)

2016: Konosuba (Mob Psycho 100, Flip Flappers, Space Patrol Luluco)

2017: Girls Last Tour (Land of the Lustrous, Made in Abyss, Princess Principal, Magus Bride)

2018: Masotan (Devilman Crybaby, Aggretsuko, Yurucamp)

2019: Beastars (Promised Neverland)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh, of mine, Space Dandy is absolutely the anime of the decade.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
  • 2010: Katanagatari
  • 2011: Nichijou
  • 2012: Nichibros
  • 2013: JoJo Battle Tendency.
  • 2014: Space Dandy and Akatsuki no Yona
  • 2015: One Punch Man
  • 2016: Konosuba Alcest's beautiful album-length remake of Mononoke Hime, Kodama
  • 2017: Little Witch Academia
  • 2018: Zombie Land Saga
  • 2019: Kaguya-sama: Love is War and Kimetsu no Yaiba, so far.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gotta admit, I only started seriously watching the seasonals in 2015 with IBO, so I'm not the best placed for this. Got a lot to catch up on and I know full well some shows feel very different week to week vs. all at once. There's also the issue of shows going multiple years kind of cluttering things up. That all said, figure I can at least give it a go with what I saw that I liked.

2010: Haven't seen enough of anything to offer a solid judgement.

2011: And here we go. A year where I've actually seen a full anime, and parts of others. Kaiji's got some real virtues, even if the pace is (intentionally) glacial, Fate and Stein's have been interesting from what I've seen, and Gundam AGE makes most other anime look better by comparison. But in the end, it comes down to two. At least, two I've seen enough of to be confident in a recommendation.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica gets first place from me. People talk about it as a dark show masquerading as a family friendly one, but that's not the real trick. The real trick is that it's a story about the power of hope and love overcoming all obstacles pretending to be cynical right until the end. Pulling a happy ending from that without seeming forced is enough of a magic trick to justify putting magic right in the title.

But let's not forget Anohana, coming in for the honorable mention. 11 episodes isn't that long, but it's enough time to flesh out the entire main cast, play a tragedy out without feeling cheap, and give everyone a full arc. It's a pretty good showing, and it deserves a place of its own not in Madoka's shadow.

2012: Jojo came to TV, and even if I came late, I owe that show a bit. Had some pretty bad times made easier by over-the-top vampire slaying. Makes this one easy.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure with an honorable mention for The Woman called Fujiko Mine.

2013: I need to watch Attack On Titan. It's too big to not at least poke at, and it seems like it might be my kind of thing. I mean, it's basically a mech anime, and I love mech anime. Unfortunately, it's another year where I haven't seen enough to have a firm vote, even if several shows are on my watch list. Might update this before the year's out, but for now, it's another blank.

...Except Inferno Cop. But the greatest anime of all time merely getting first place for one year almost feels like an insult.

2014: Buddy Complex, Aldnoah Zero, Argevollen, Dai-Shogun, M3, Nobunga the Fool, and Captain Earth all came out that year. So, fans of forgettable mech anime were very much in luck, basically. There's a ton of mech anime in 2014, and almost none of them left a notable cultural footprint. It's uncanny. Heck, even the three Gundam shows that year were pretty limited in influence, despite Tomino being back and Build Fighters getting a sequel.

But Shirobako also came out, so who cares? First place there. And an honorable mention for Space Dandy, despite me having not seen nearly as much as I'd like, because he's a dandy guy in space. Also Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, because boxes are in this year.

2015: And here we go. The year I finally started watching week to week. Looking back, there's a couple shows I wish I'd kept up with, (and that I'm planning to catch up with) some bullets that I dodged, and One show with the Punch to make me keep going with anime as a regular.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. With an honorable mention for One Punch Man.

This is a one-for all kind of vote, to be clear. If we're going cour V. cour, Saitama dominates as per his usual. But overall, Iron Blooded Orphans is one of my favorite shows of all time, with great character beats, brutal action, and a willingness to do what other shows don't as casually as if it was ordering breakfast.

2016: Another year, more anime. I started poking into backlogs that year, and finally started paying money for anime, like some kind of social deviant. Which also meant experiencing the first seasons of disappointment, going from having multiple shows I loved to having maybe one or two that were... okay.

Fortunately, the year paid off overall with an anime for Mob Psycho 100 in first place and Konosuba receiving an honorable mention. Mob's amazing, a rare adaptation that improves on the already excellent original, with some of the most gorgeous animation around and pitch perfect comic timing that doesn't hurt the dramatic or action beats at all. Meanwhile, Konosuba is just, you know. Funny. Really, really funny.

Also, Luluco was this year. Which is worth bringing up because it packs more into 13 quarter length episodes than most shows would manage with 50. It's a much better FLCL sequels than the actual FLCL sequels. It also has more JUSTICE than you'll find in any other anime.

2017: Ah, 2017. The year of Amazon Strike. Not something I miss. Between that and LWA going to Netflix, it was a rough time for law abiding citizens, which I'm sure we all are. Ahem.

Fortunately, Little Witch Academia reached the west, getting its rightful first place, even if I felt it never quite lived up to its potential. And I know this won't be popular, but hey/ My honorable mention goes to the new Kino's Journey. Maybe I just liked it because I didn't see the original, a show I didn't see probably can be argued to be better (I swear, Lustrous and Kemono friends season 1 are on my list.) , but in a year when so many shows let me down, it gave me what I wanted to see week after week. A girl and her talking bike going to weird towns and occasionally shooting people. Also, an army of murderous sheep.

2018: Last year, a year when I actually watched enough for a list. My reasoning is detailed in that thread, but ultimately I'm sticking with Gridman in first, and A Place Further Than The Universe in second. Great shows, both of them, and ones where I went in with no expectations. If only every surprise was so pleasant.

2019: This year, and barring a miracle, late enough in to feel like I can comment. Like last year, I saw a ton of stuff. And even more than last year, I was disappointed. Astra Lost in Space never really came together and never wanted to be the more grounded survival show I was hoping for, Boogiepop used the fact it was confusing to hide the more subtle fact that it was boring, Carole and Tuesday made music unenjoyable in a loving Watanabe production, El-Melloi II was... fine I guess, Cautious Hero never brought the Konosuba laughs, Kaguya Sama didn't give me what everyone else seemed to see in it when I tried it, Granbelm opened with an impressively animated fight that didn't even begin to interest me, and No Guns Life somehow got me to drop it despite it starring a man with a gun for a head.

But it wasn't all losers. Nowhere close. High Score Girl came back, and after catching up with that I quite like it, Dororo added a really interesting core conflict to the classic manga and played with it throughout, Gundam the Origin is a solid enough adaptation of great source material, even if the OVAs came out years ago, Mob's second season came out, which would definitely win if I allowed repeats, and Vinland Saga is VINLAND SAGA as an anime. Vinland Saga!

But... this is personal. We're supposed to have some subjective experience in here, not just robotic recitation of the facts. And this year, nothing made me laugh louder than bus porn.

O Maidens in your Savage Season, take a bow. You pushed one of my favorite mangas about vikings and farming into second place.

(Of course, if we include movies, it gets more complicated. Promare, Dreaming Girl, and Legend of Crimson were all excellent.)

...A lot of Mari Okada on that list, looking back.

I'll want to think more and watch more before doing an Of The Decade pick, but man. Some good stuff there. And also Inferno Cop.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 27, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think as a whole this decade is a lot more interesting than the 2000's and while a bunch of shows were bad we did have a lot of good and unique shows.

Anyway the most important Precure of the decade is Go Princess and Kira Kira (even though Heartcatch probably is).

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I'm not so good at commentary, so I just made a list. I avoided second (or additional) seasons of a show if the first (or previous) was already on the list. I also included for each year up to five honorable mentions in alphabetical order, just to be a pedantic twit.

2010: K-On!!
hm: Sora no Woto, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

2011: A-Channel
hm: Denpa-Onna to Seishun-Otoko, Softeni, Tamayura ~hitotose~, Yuruyuri

2012: Hyouka
hm: AKB0048, Bodacious Space Pirates, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, Nisemonogatari, TARI TARI

2013: Love Live! School Idol Project
hm: Girls und Panzer, Little Busters, Non Non Biyori, Unbreakable Machine-Doll, Yama no Susume

2014: Nagi no Asukara
hm: Amagi Brilliant Park, Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?, Kill la Kill, Shingeki no Bahamut -Genesis-, Sora no Method

2015: Rolling Girls
hm: Houkago no Pleiades, Maria the Virgin Witch, Plastic Memories, School-Live, Your Lie in April

2016: KonoSuba
hm: Amanchu, Flip Flappers, Flying Witch, High School Fleet, Planetarian

2017: Princess Principal
hm: Gabriel Dropout, Girls' Last Tour, Kemono Friends, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Saga of Tanya the Evil

2018: A Place Further Than the Universe
hm: Comic Girls, Hinamatsuri, Slow Start, Violet Evergarden, Zombieland Saga

2019: Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai
hm: Endro~, Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu, Joshikousei no Mudazukai, Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai, Manaria Friends

Anime of the Decade: Hyouka, with A Place Further than the Universe a drat close second.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LibrarianCroaker posted:

what the gently caress

the thing about Apo is that there's just genuinely too much going on in it for anything to get proper focus and development. it has literally double the number of major characters of any other Fate entry, and that works to its massive detriment, because a lot of them barely get developed at all (five of the Red Masters are practically just background extras). it also has Jack, and a show directly and blatantly trying to pander to pedophiles is a good way for it to set any potential good will i may have for it on fire. also, the Shirou Kotomine stuff is really stupid, as are most things where the red herring explanation is cooler than the actual one. also also, rehashing Last Episode from FSN for the epilogue was lazy as hell.

and while the animation has some really good high points, it's a lot spottier than anything ufotable has done for the franchise, so i can't even really give it that overall. i don't know, it's not like the worst anime of the decade or anything but it's definitely not anywhere near the "best of the decade" conversation for me the same way ufotable's stuff is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
anyways my list

2010: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
HM: Squid Girl

2011: Fate/zero
HM: Madoka, Mirai Nikki, Tiger & Bunny

2012: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
HM: Symphogear, Lupin III: Woman Called Fujiko Mine

2013: The Devil is a Part Timer
HM: Log Horizon, Gatchaman Crowds, Gundam Build Fighters

2014: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
HM: Parasyte: The Maxim, JJBA Stardust Crusaders

2015: Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
HM: Death Parade, Dragon Ball Super

2016: KonoSuba
HM: Ajin, Mob Psycho 100, Luluco

2017: Little Witch Academia
HM: Kakegurui, Youjo Senki

2018: Devilman Crybaby
HM: Cells at Work!, MEGALOBOX

2019: Beastars
HM: Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II, Vinland Saga, Endro!

overall AotD: Fate/zero, with Devilman Crybaby and IBO taking 2nd and 3rd place

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 27, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm not sure which Masaaki Yuasa series it is, but it's definitely one of them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

behold my very bad list!!!!

Best Anime of 2010: Princess Jellyfish
Runner-up: Squid Girl
Overlooked: Gag Manga Biyori
My "Didn't Like It" Hot Take: Panty & Stocking
Anime I Wish I Had Watched: Tatami Galaxy, Heartcatch Precure, Nodame Cantabile

princess jellyfish is awesome for so many reasons, but it's fun to have an anime where i can actually pick out the characters from a lineup of silhouettes. okay but seriously it's a really good anime and had me feel STRONG EMOTIONS!!! gag manga biyori is probably the most overlooked anime on my whole list, and it helps that like no one has licensed it or even uploaded it to youtube outside of a fandub that has a giant naruto image plastered on it. it's by the director of sexy commando and it's extremely silly.

Best Anime of 2011: Chihayafuru
Runner-up: Nichijou
Overlooked: Level E
My "Didn't Like It" Hot Take: Madoka Magica
Anime I Regret Watching All the Way Through: Heaven's Memo Pad (juuuust beating out Blood-C)
Anime I Wish I Had Watched: Penguindrum, Hunter X Hunter, maybe Last Exile??, Tiger & Bunny

chihayafuru is the only sports anime i care about, and i say that as someone who watches sports. unless kaiji's gambling games count as sport.... ESPN2 did air a rock paper scissors championship once. nichijou is of course excellent, tons of great sight gags. heaven's memo pad was a really bad 'detective' show about a NEET and her gang, it was pretty darn boring. blood-C was only entertaining for the plot twist

Best Anime of 2012: From the New World
Runner-up: Symphogear
Overlooked: dunno.. maybe Blast of Tempest?
My "Didn't Like It" Hot Take: Daily Lives of High School Boys
Anime I Wish I Had Watched: Hyouka, Moyashimon, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Space Brothers, Humanity has Declined

from the new world is probably the best 'high concept' anime on my list, also really gorgeous colors. i'm kind of shocked that i'm the only one who has put it on their list. daily lives just felt obnoxious to me... which was probably the point but I didn't laugh once. a lot of chill shows i need to catch up on from this year...

Best Anime of 2013: Love Lab
Runner-up: Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Overlooked: Servant X Service
My "Didn't Like It" Hot Take: Samurai Flamenco
Anime I Wish I Had Watched: Problem Children, Kyousogiga, Encouragement of Climb, SNAFU, Tamako Market, Silver Spoon
CG Ruined it For Me: Gatchaman Crowds

aside from the really bad blackface segment, love lab is king of the girls in a club anime genre. bring back love lab with all the same crew, cowards. gargantia is just good ol' mecha fun and the CG didn't feel as bizarrely plastered on as it did in gatchaman. I'll always go to bat for lucy and her dumb office friends, criminal that servant x service only got one season.

Best Anime of 2014: Barakamon
Runner-up: Parasyte
Overlooked: My Neighbor Seki
My "Didn't Like It" Hot Take: Nanana's Buried Treasure
Anime I Regret Watching All the Way Through: Terror in Resonance (I actually didn't hate it but the ending was BAD)
Anime I Wish I Had Watched: Shirobako, Hozuki's Coolheadedness, Sabagebu
CG Ruined it For Me: Wizard Barristers

Agree with others that 2014 was the top year of the decade, it also had Space Dandy, Rage of Bahamut, Young Kindaichi Case Files, Chaika, Your Lie in April, Yona of the Dawn, Nozaki-kun, the Ping Pong anime by Yuasa, Amagi Brillliant Park. even mediocre stuff like Witchcraft Works were highly watchable. picking my best and runner-up was really tough

seki-kun is my fave short-form anime from this decade. barakamon is probably my top anime of the decade period, but parasyte was really entertaining too, just the right amount of tension and comedy. i don't know why i even tried wizard barristers. nanana is not really a hot take, but i otherwise didn't have a pick there

Best Anime of 2015: Snow White with the Red Hair
Runner-up: Death Parade
Overlooked: Yatterman Night
My "Didn't Like It" Hot Take: oh boy I have multiple this time! My Love Story, Mr. Osumatsu-san, Dance With Devils, Concrete Revolutio
Anime I Regret Watching All the Way Through: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers, or maybe My Monster Secret
Anime I Wish I Had Watched: Blood Blockade Battlefront, Yurikuma, Maria the Virgin Witch, DanMachi,

snow white with the red hair is my fave fluffy anime, about a hard-workin' gal doin' it on her own!! it helps that this shoujo at least has a romantic lead with SOMEWHAT of a personality, which puts him above 90% of most shoujo romantic leads. but they also support each other and help each other grow, and neither gets in the way of each other and it was just such a sweet series!!!

rokka was bizarre, i actually enjoyed it but the ending made me side eye it, then i looked up the wikipedia and read plot details beyond the anime and i side eyed it more. my monster secret was a big letdown of the source material but i kept watching because i wanted it to improve (it didn't). i didn't laugh once at osumatsu

Best Anime of 2016: Space Patrol Luluco
Runner-up: Flip Flappers
Overlooked: Amanchu
My "Didn't Like It" Hot Take: Haven't You Heard I'm Sakamoto
Anime I Regret Watching All the Way Through: Sekko Boys
Anime I Wish I Had Watched: 91 Days, Yuri on Ice, Orange, Mob Psycho 100
CG Ruined It For Everyone: Beserk

2016 was definitely the second-best year of the decade, with additional series like March Comes in Like a Lion, Classicaloid, Bungo Stray Dogs, Re: Zero, Poco's Udon World, Sweetness & Lightning, My Hero Academia, Tanaka-kun, and Flying Witch

amanchu is another great chill anime about two girls that definitely are in love and it's a shame there was never a second season, but it's for the best because a second season probably would've ruined it, can you imagine?? ok i love luluco, i actually think it's more of a spiritual successor to FLCL than the actual FLCL sequels, and naturally my runner-up is another show in the same vein. cocona, cocona, cocona, cocona, cocona

Best Anime of 2017: ACCA-13
Runner-up: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Overlooked: Magical Circle Guru Guru
My "Didn't Like It" Hot Take: Saga of Tanya the Evil
Anime I Regret Watching All the Way Through: Tsuredure Children (too much felt unresolved)
Anime I Wish I Had Watched: Land of the Lustrous, Little Witch Academia, Princess Principal
CG Ruined It For Me: Kemono Friends, yes yes i know but I'm a snob, I can't help it

ACCA-13 is like if kino's journey was a political thriller, it hit all the right buttons for me in a relatively dull year. also better than the actual kino's journey remake that also aired in 2017. dragon maid has at least one major caveat in the first season with Quetzalcoatl that almost ruins the whole show, and i guess it gets worse from there :/ (the dragon child's friend could count as a second caveat)

Best Anime of 2018: Aggretsuko (Netflix version)
Runner-up: Planet With
Overlooked: GeGeGe no Kitaro
My "Didn't Like It" Hot Take: Pop Team Epic
Anime I Wish I Had Watched: A Place Further Than the Universe, Sirius the Jaeger, Honda-san, SSSS.Gridman, Megalobox, Laid Back Camp, How to Keep a Mummy, Bloom into You, Cells at Work, Dragon Pilot, The Girl in Twilight, Devilman Crybaby
CG Ruined It For Me: SSSS.Gridman (I still intend on watching it, the CG was just disappointing, is all)

as you can tell, I did not watch a lot of anime in 2018, I have a lot to catch up on. it honestly seems like it was a fantastic year. i did really love aggretsuko though, it came out of nowhere for me and hit at the perfect time. planet with surprised me with its inventive story, although I have not finished it yet. gegege no kitaro is not overlooked in the "tv ratings" sense since it's a kids show, but it's overlooked in america i feel like, as a fun yokai-bustin shounen appropriately modernized

pop team epic left me entirely cold, but i shouldn't really be surprised because i didn't enjoy osumatsu-san either. i think that comedies are really hard for me to get into, but I did pick one as my best for this year.

Best Anime of 2019: Kaguya-sama Love is War
Runner-up: Astra Lost in Space
Overlooked: dunno.. can I just put Hitoribocchi here
Anime I Wish I Had Watched: Beastars, Carole & Tuesday, Demon Girl Next Door, O Maidens in Your Savage Season, Iruma-kun, Promised Neverland

I have watched even less anime from this year as I'm still catching up on older shows, so i'm shooting from the hip a little here. Aggretsuko season 2 was a highlight for me but it didn't reach the height of the first season, and Kaguya-sama is such a great concept that I have to give it to the good snobby kids.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 27, 2019

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Barely watched anime this decade. And manga of the decade would be complicated by the longer runs meaning most of my favorite ones started well before 2010 or are still very much ongoing and it'd be kinda weird to vote for either category. Myself I'd be left with like...Kakukaku Shikajika, Bloom into You...was gonna say Teppuu but it started in 2008. Struggling to think of others I really liked that ran between 2010 and 2019 tbh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Madoka

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

M'doka

Is there a convenient list of "anime from the 2010s" somewhere out there? I've kind of forgotten when some things aired.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dzhay posted:

M'doka

Is there a convenient list of "anime from the 2010s" somewhere out there? I've kind of forgotten when some things aired.

Dogsicle's post above has links to all of the SA 'Best of' threads including 2010 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375936

Which includes a full list of shows that ended in 2010.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

2010: the legendary K-on! Some thirty thousand anime have coasted the post k-on hype wave and none of them have matched up.

Notables: Cobra the animation and squid girl. A classic in the sci fi genre and another moe round up the top 3 tv shows. For movies, haruhi, duh

2011: one of my highest rated years ever, led by Hyouge Mono. A rare anime about adults, art and samurai that arent just pretty boys.

Notables: plenty. The great improv anime gdgd fairies, anohana fes provides enjoyable melodrama, chihayafuru joins hyouge mono in being a great show about a lesser known japanese cultural phenomenon, theres a second and better season of working, usagi drop, tiger and bunny and the great comedy azazal-san. Theres also shows that need no introduction like kaiji, madoka and more k-on. Finally in a particularily great year for josei theres otana joshi no anime time. I havent even bothered to name the ovas. Wont be a year as good as this again for a long time, maybe ever

2012: space opera remake yamato 2199 leads here, as one of the final signs of life of my favorite dead genre. Shame the sequel sucked.

Notables: plenty of other good anime like the great shoujo tonari no kaibatsu-kun, the comedies nichiboys and wooser, kyoani show hyouka and of course girls und panzer

2013: gdgd fairies 2 for comedy heaven

Notables: chihayafuru 2, silver spoon, gatchaman, love lab, gatari, second symphogear

2014: tesagure encore for more improv, can you guess the kind of comedy i like?

Notables: ping pong is an easy second place. Outside of that barakamon, great comedy in ai mai mii, more gatari, more great improv in seha hard girls, parasyte and shirobako

2015: the duality of man shows this year with number 1 being osomatsu-san before they ran it into the ground

Notables: and number 2 being the 2nd season of snafu. Outside of that sound euphonium and non non biyori. Cgi lovers should check out etotama

2016: rakugo easily

Notables: rather poor year with only a few 8s and mosts of them shorts like hagane orchestra, psi saiki and honobono log

2017: i think repeating is poor form but rakugo again

Notables: not much, youjo senki cause war ftw, kemono friends and ai mai mii

2018: killing bites i enjoyed the most and i hope we get more shows like it. Or a sequel. Not the furry part but the grime and the murder

Notables: only tonegawa-san and asobi asobase, poor year. Notably enough they released 2 mediocre to terrible improv shows

2019: my highest rated show is a 7, its also the only 7. Its wasteful days of highschool girls

Notables: chihayafuru when it finishes probably. I also enjoyed the youjo senki movie but i havent mentioned movies and ovas before this outside of haruhi.

So yeah, anime is getting worse

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

heres my list cause why not.

2010 - K-ON: still one of the best slice of life shows i've ever watched.
runner ups: tatami galaxy. The haruhi movie is a fantastic conclusion to the animated haruhi series and im sort of glad no more was made. Katanagatari

2011 - Nichijou: now and forever. it was coming out at a time where i really needed the laughs so it holds a very special place in my heart
runner ups: there were so many good shows this season, its when i really got back into anime. Chihayafuru, Madoka, Anohana, Hunter X Hunter are some of the ones that come to mind immediately

2012 - Hyouka: the kyoani train continues for me. ridiculously well animated for whats basically a talking heads show, and really exemplifies what i like about anime.
runner ups: My little monster, very enjoyable romcom and great bgm. Humanity has declined. Girls und Panzer.

2013 - The Eccentric Family: another show that came at the right time for me. Great show!
runner ups: chihayafuru again, and i really enjoyed monogatari second season so that too. goon aoty devil is a part timer but i do wonder if the only reason i remember it was that it was aoty

2014 - Shirobako: fantastic workplace comedy. i still kind of love the intro joke
runner ups: Another fantastic season so lots of runner ups. Second season of yama no susume, showing me the power of shorts. more comedies! Barakamon, D-Frag, Nozaki! also haikyuu.

2015 - SNAFU 2: what started as a comedy makes a melodramatic turn that i loved.
runner ups: i didn't want to count a movie as my top pick but the gup movie. One punch man for introducing me to ONE. also haikyuu, again.
underrated show: koufuku graffiti.

2016 - Rakugo: its rakugo, you ain't beating that
runner ups: Tanaka kun for bizarre comedy. Mob Psycho 100 for being the better ONE show fight me. flip flappers. also haikyuu, again.
underrated show: ReLIFE.

2017: ACCA: super chill without being boring in a way that i really appreciate. Notable for me in that it really stuck the landing.
Runner Ups: Houseki no Kuni and Girl's Last Tour were very close as well. March Lion 2. probably would be rakugo 2 but i haven't seen it yet

2018:A Place further than the universe: i cried.
Runner ups: Yurucamp for cozy, liz and the blue bird for pretty

2019: so far it's mob psycho 100 2
runner ups: kaguya sama, hitoribocchi
underrated: my neighbor is a cat.

Anime of the Decade: i'm going with my heart here: Nichijou.

Argona fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 27, 2019

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I nominate thse two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfK6UgLra7g
a silent voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRLPdgcGPRg
redline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU