Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm gonna be a good girl like always and get my homework done early (don't be fooled, i never actually did that):

9. Mordhau - rounding out the bottom of the list, since i don't actually have enough games that i liked to make a top 10, mordhau was a pretty fun game to stab dudes in. it was also very silly; the build i always scored the most points with was the one where i just bring 2 medkits and a mallet to battle and never actually kill anyone. you can also play the lute. -5 points for racism that i didn't hear about until after i quit playing.

8. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - i played through this at the start of the year and the sheer amount of content in this game is staggering. it's the only game you need if you want to experience old style Monster Hunter: every monster, every map, every weapon, they're all here, from every generation, plus some new ones. the switch is the perfect platform for it too.

7. ARK: Survival Evolved - the new Valguero map this year was a vast improvement over the previous expansion maps like Extinction and Aberration, and my friends and i put a ton of time in on it over the summer. game is still beautiful and fun to explore and survive and strap lasers onto dinosaurs in. one day i will build that underwater base i've always dreamed of.

6. Monster Hunter: World - i didn't put in as much time in this as i did last year when it first came out on PC, but the regular update schedule kept me playing pretty consistently through the first half of the year. it fell off once it became Iceborne Waiting Room and I had to cut myself off from all related content to avoid spoilers, but this is one of my favorite games of all time and oh my fuckin god i can't wait for Iceborne.

5. Path of Exile - i don't know if i will ever stop playing this game, and i definitely will keep pouring money into it, because i have no impulse control. i cannot resist making my character as shiny as possible. the Legion and Blight leagues were especially fun this year, and i'm definitely hopping back in for the Metamorph league this weekend. easily the best ARPG on the market. diablo 4 won't even be able to keep up, especially with PoE2 on the way.

4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - this was a beautiful, brutal game that sadly broke me so hard over its knee that I never actually finished the whole thing (i got pretty far though). i still loved it, the combat is fantastic and finally beating a ridiculously hard boss (twice, gently caress you corrupted monk) was a huge rush of relief and adrenaline. -5 points for having monkey bosses though. i hate monkeys.

3. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - i didn't pay any attention to destiny 2 for the majority of the year, and didn't even realize there was an expansion due out until after it was out. the timing on it was perfect since i needed something to play after my FFXIV raid group fell apart. i logged in just to see what new content there was and lo and behold, there's a bunch of new stuff and importantly, a limited-time title that i could actually, feasibly obtain. this gave me a goal, and goals are something i generally lack in my life, so it was nice to have something to work towards for a while. and now there's another new season starting tomorrow to maybe keep me busy again until Iceborne comes out! hooray! on top of that, since the title required me to do a whole bunch of PvP it actually made me get kinda sorta almost okay at pvp, even to the point where i was enjoying myself. and that never happens, especially in FPS games, my aim is poo poo, so that was really nice. shootmans is fun, gameplay loop is good, story and lore is good, it's good!

2. Risk of Rain 2 - this is the best multiplayer/coop game i've played in a very very long time. i never played ROR 1, but this one clicked with me very quickly especially as the Huntress. it's the first game in years that I actually feel like i'm good at it. when all of my friends are dead and it's just me vs. 100 enemies and 5 bosses and i pull out a victory it feels real fuckin good. no story (which is usually a big minus from me) but the gameplay is fantastic and i'm always down to play if my friends ask. the music is also great.

1. Final Fantasy XIV - Shadowbringers - holy fuckin' poo poo what a good expansion this was. even without the new quality of life changes, class balance changes, new classes, and new races, just the new world to explore and the STORY alone made this the best mmo expansion i have ever played. there is a reason that the lady who wrote the main scenario quests got a standing ovation at their pax panel. plus we got tons of fantastic new music (spoiler warning on some of those), new mounts, new raids, new activities, and it's just going to keep getting better. lali-ho, motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ah gently caress poo poo gently caress i didn't know we were doing pictures for our list

gently caress its 3 am i'll work on it tomorrow

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m bummed that FF14 is so amazing now because there is no way I’m playing through leveling up in an MMO to experience the story.

the entire game is story. it very much starts you off as a no-name level 1 adventurer schmuck and as such the story starts off pretty slow; but by the time you hit level 20 or so the story picks up and just keeps going. the beginning is intentionally gradual in introducing you to the game, which experienced MMO players get annoyed at sometimes but for someone new to the genre it's a very good tutorial into how everything (and i mean literally everything) works.

it's definitely worth the time spent, especially if you even somewhat pay attention to all the characters and events from the beginning. the payoff is outstanding.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i was sad that today was the first friday in 2 months with no new Mandalorian episode but this has by far made up for it!! 3 gold quotes for me!!! :dance:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

also what was up with not a single final fantasy character in kh3??

hahah really? i didn't even realize or think about this

all the edgy teen original characters do not steal™ in black trenchcoats are so final fantasy-esque i forgot none of them are actually from those games. and there's so many

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rarity posted:

I know you’re all bursting with excitement to see what game is going to land at #20 but unfortunately we’re going to have to put things on hold for just a second now as we interrupt this countdown for an important word from our sponsors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtCzE6UN8AI

Stop being a loser.

Start being a winner.

JOIN US

JOIN THE DARK ORDER

can i still have friends and stuff like the guy says in the commercial without having to watch wrestling

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i had forgotten to go back and edit my list to include :honk: so i'm glad it got its due

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I'm die hard for FFXIV and happy to see it get so much love in these forums. The rest of the top ten was a tough field to face, and the fact it stands there at all is a testament to its strength.

Lali-ho, motherfuckers.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Sitting here rocking out to the Twinning theme getting loving PUMPED for the final winners

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

A victory for me, I got quoted for all my top 5 games!! Thanks Rarity :kimchi:

I need to play Sekiro again, the parrying is just plain fuckin' orgasmic.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I'm so excited for another wave of people to play Disco Elysium.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Thank you so much Rarity.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

pmchem posted:

Great thread. Anyone have the whole list to paste?

10. BABA IS YOU (ARVI TEIKARI)
160 points, listed 25 times, #1 spot 3 times

9. BLOODSTAINED: RITUAL OF THE NIGHT (ARTPLAY)
187 points, listed 31 times, #1 spot 1 time

8. FINAL FANTASY XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS (SQUAREENIX)
213 points, listed 24 times, #1 spot 11 times

:toot: BEST MMO :toot:

7. DEATH STRANDING (KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS)
245 points, listed 34 times, #1 spot 8 times

6. CONTROL (REMEDY)
256 points, listed 38 times, #1 spot 6 times

:toot: BEST METROIDVANIA :toot:

5. FIRE EMBLEM: THREE HOUSES (INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS)
267 points, listed 42 times, #1 spot 7 times

:toot: BEST TACTICS GAME :toot:

4. RESIDENT EVIL 2 (CAPCOM)
269 points, listed 40 times, #1 spot 5 times

:toot: BEST SURVIVAL HORROR :toot:

3. OUTER WILDS (MOBIUS)
278 points, listed 36 times, #1 spot 8 times

:toot: BEST PUZZLE GAME :toot:

2. SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE (FROMSOFTWARE)
341 points, listed 51 times, #1 spot 7 times

:toot: BEST AAA GAME :toot:
:toot: BEST ACTION GAME :toot:

1. DISCO ELYSIUM (ZA/UM)
532 points, listed 59 times, #1 spot 30 times

:toot: BEST INDIE GAME :toot:
:toot: BEST RPG :toot:
:toot: HIGHEST AVERAGE :toot:
:toot: MOST LISTED :toot:
:toot: MOST #1 SPOTS :toot:

Post rant out of toots but you get the idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

pmchem posted:

66. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (Bungie)
65. Warframe (Digital Extremes
58. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (Capcom)
53. Path of Exile (Grinding Gear)
50. Subnautica (Unknown Worlds)
48. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
47. Risk of Rain 2 (Hopoo)
46. Stardew Valley (Eric Barone)
39. Borderlands 3 (Gearbox)
38. The Outer Worlds (Obsidian)
29. THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT (CD PROJEKT RED) 43 points, listed 6 times, #1 spot 1 time
15. UNTITLED GOOSE GAME (HOUSE HOUSE) 90 points, listed 20 times, #1 spot 1 time
8. FINAL FANTASY XIV: SHADOWBRINGERS (SQUAREENIX) 213 points, listed 24 times, #1 spot 11 times BEST MMO
3. OUTER WILDS (MOBIUS) 278 points, listed 36 times, #1 spot 8 times BEST PUZZLE GAME
2. SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE (FROMSOFTWARE) 341 points, listed 51 times, #1 spot 7 times BEST AAA GAME BEST ACTION GAME

15, with only 8 of those actually played to completion.