Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best way to travel?
Planes are the best and most efficient means of travel
I don't do planes because I have some weird hangup about passing through security
I don't do planes because I like to see the country and take forever
I don't do planes because I <checks gokupedia> use my ki energy to fly
View Results

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

if you need to smuggle something do it on a 5 or 6 am redeye, security does not want to be there any more than you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
bring a little inflatable neck pillow. sometimes you could get a seat that has terrible cushioning or some sort of violent bar-to-rear end situation. clothes don’t make great cushions.

on that note those goofy neck pillows are tight.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

They found my bag! I can pick it up today and they're giving me a $150 voucher.

How much poo poo do you think the people at the lost bag desk have to put up with every day? I tried to be as nice as possible because they totes had PTSD faces.

:3 Thank you for being kind to staff.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If there’s a screaming baby and over 50% of the passengers complain by FAA law they have to shut the baby in an overhead bin until it quiets down or the end of the flight.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If someone in your row has an emotional support animal you’re legally allowed to call the owner a loving jackoff after their animal shits on the floor.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

- When traveling with young kids, give up on movies, music, and hot meals in advance. Then, be delighted when you get time to enjoy these things.
- Bring analog entertainment like sticker books and those mess-free Color Magic books.
- Watch movies with subtitles and no headphones if you need to stay alert for kid stuff.
- Get your own dang drink from the kitchenette on long flights.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you’re flying into Vegas the flight personnel will announce as soon as you’ve crossed into Nevada airspace so that any passenger interested in performing sex acts for money can commence doing so.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

bird with big dick posted:

If you’re flying into Vegas the flight personnel will announce as soon as you’ve crossed into Nevada airspace so that any passenger interested in performing sex acts for money can commence doing so.

This should be for any flight crossing into Nevada air space.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My recommendation for flying is don't.

Alternately if you have to, do it as often and as bougie as possible and get pre check and airline status and lord your free seat with 3 inches of legroom and a free shot over all the poors.

Real recommendation if you don't have to be at a specific place, you can get some sweet deals buying seats a day ahead or day of flight. Often have cheap seats, and you will often end up in one of the roomoer seats as they are the last seats to sell out and you can get them by default.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

bird with big dick posted:

Oh sweet time to make some money this trip!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Always offer to sit in the emergency row. Congrats, you are now de facto king of the plane if poo poo goes down.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I go straight to my gate after getting through security. Basically just to make sure I know exactly where it is and how to get there and also to make sure its the correct gate or if its delayed or whatever. Then I will backtrack and go to a bar/restaurant or wherever. This is especially good in airports you aren't famlilar with.

If you are on a hours long layover search out a nice out-of-the-way spot to set up camp. A lot of airports have funky little areas that are deserted or much quieter. I sprawl out on the floor next to a power outlet usually.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I do that too. Always find your gate first

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hadn't seen this before, it's fuckin spot on

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
"In flight menu? Oh no that's expensive, I brought my own meal."

*produces can of sardines* :smug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chinatown posted:

next to a power outlet usually.

Amateur hour over here.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Amateur hour over here.

i need to get a powerbank yeah i get it :blastu:

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
When my son was four we were on a flight from LAX to DFW he had a rough time most of the flight. Then when we landed and we couldn't immediately get off the plane he lost his poo poo and had a full on meltdown. I was sweating and in full on panic mode over the situation. Then when the plane started to empty out, a guy about ten rows up walked down and told everyone between us and the exit to hold on so we could get off the plane and get my kid settled down.
I almost started crying.
My son is 8 now and he's a great flyer and traveler in general but every time I've been on a plane since then I think about that guy and how awesome he was.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
Seconding slippers for long-hauls. They give them out in first-class, but it's easy enough to bring some of your own. Nothing beats slipping your shoes back on at the end of the flight and having fresh feeling feet.

The night before a big flight I'll often order pizza for dinner and save a few slices in the fridge. They're a great snack for the plane, and much quicker and cheaper than any food you could buy onboard or at the airport.

Another thing I noticed on the United 787 Dreamliner (probably true in all 787s) is that the power outlet is quite loose, and has a very difficult time supporting the weight of my Macbook's power adapter. It might be a good idea to bring a short extension cord so that the adapter can sit on the floor instead of hanging off the plug.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Refer to the person who operates the plane as the driver, it's called an Airbus for a reason and they don't have time for your "captain" bullshit.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Got stuck in the middle of a family of 6 sitting in 4 seats. From Right to left: Mom (with child on lap), Outrail, aisle, Son, Daughter (with other child on lap), Dad. 12 hour flight and they did not stop screaming for a second. They had to keep passing the kids back and forth and couldn't reach over me and the aisle obviously so every hour or so I get nudged from my bleary eyed stupor to pass this year old baby back and forth. I wouldn't have minded if they shut up for five minutes but what if I dropped one into the aisle? After the second round of pass the baby I asked the dad if he wanted to switch with me so I wasn't in the middle of his family but he claimed he didn't want me sitting next to his daughter. I think he just a lazy poo poo who didn't want to deal with his squalling kids.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Jay_Zombie posted:

6' 4" here, long legs and big feet. My knees hit everything all the time.
To add to the discomfort, I have broad shoulders, so if there's anyone sitting next to me, I have to kinda just fold up so that I don't encroach on their space.

I'm around there and most of it is legs, was on a flight where I was in a window seat and sitting next to a stranger so I couldn't really spread my legs out or put em in the aisle, and the person in front of me kept trying to futility push their seat back against my knees. Like literally slamming back with their body before peering between the seats to glare at me. It's like lady I wish I had telescoping legs and could help ya out here but ain't poo poo I can do, blame the airline not me. Besides it's not like you get much of a recline anyways, I don't even know why they have that feature outside of first class.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The illusion of choice

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I non ironically enjoy showing up as the boarding process begins and cutting past everyone crowding the area

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Waroduce posted:

I non ironically enjoy showing up as the boarding process begins and cutting past everyone crowding the area

its good

tbf im surprised airlines havent started charging for assigned carry-on overhead space, it seems p easy given they're all assigned to seats more or less

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xaris posted:

its good

tbf im surprised airlines havent started charging for assigned carry-on overhead space, it seems p easy given they're all assigned to seats more or less

The budget airlines (spirit) do this already.

Spirit sucks. Don't use them.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Photex posted:

I did about 70,000 miles this year, best tip I can give is get TSA Precheck and/or CLEAR

This plus priority pass, Amex centurion and status with an airline gets you good lounge coverage.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
AMEX no longer includes restaurants, only lounges in their priority pass offering. The upswing is access to Centurion but their footprint is lacking. This may or may not factor into you depending on your travel requirements. If you only fly to airports with centurions than go hog wild

I much prefer the CSR PP because the airports I spend time in have alot of independent restaurant offerings I would not receive if I had an AMEX and I dont find the centurion footprint compelling.

I also dont get to choose my itinerary all the time so the CSR is more flexible for me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MarcusSA posted:

The budget airlines (spirit) do this already.

Spirit sucks. Don't use them.

yeah i'll never use spirit or frontier. alaskan/virgin or jetblue is cheap enough without feeling too nickle and dimed and still reasonably good seats. but it seems like something that would alleviate everyone just trying to bumrush the first-group or w/e because carry-on space gets too limited; especially since it pretty closely tracks 3-bags per bin per 3 row of seats anyways.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

What the hell is up with couples who intentionally choose the aisle and window seats but still act like they’re sitting right next to each other, i.e. passing things back and forth and carrying on a conversation the whole time. gently caress you, either take the middle seat or have the decency to ignore each other for the flight.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wizardofloneliness posted:

What the hell is up with couples who intentionally choose the aisle and window seats but still act like they’re sitting right next to each other, i.e. passing things back and forth and carrying on a conversation the whole time. gently caress you, either take the middle seat or have the decency to ignore each other for the flight.

That should be illegal.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

wizardofloneliness posted:

I think they're strategically hoping no one picks the middle seat so they have the whole row to themselves.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

funny song about politics posted:

I think they're strategically hoping no one picks the middle seat so they have the whole row to themselves.

yeah its absolutely this. it works if your flight is underbooked bc no one wants to pick an aisle seat if they have the choice, but most carriers these days are extremely good at making sure the flight is like 95%+ filled all the time even on shittier days.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sex Skeleton posted:

The best food to buy in O'Hare is the little noodle boxes they have at almost every restaurant. I always get the drunkin' noodles. Very filling and unlikely to give you gas unlike every single "Chicago Style Hot Dog" I have ever eaten.

No, the best food at ORD is Tortas Fronteras, by a very long way.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

funny song about politics posted:

That’s what I figure but I can’t remember the last time I was on a flight that wasn’t at least 98% full or something. I’m usually flying during busy times too so I don’t know why anyone would bet on an empty seat. The last time this happened I was able to get one of them to switch with me an hour in though at least.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Xaris posted:

yeah its absolutely this. it works if your flight is underbooked bc no one wants to pick an aisle seat if they have the choice, but most carriers these days are extremely good at making sure the flight is like 95%+ filled all the time even on shittier days.

What? People prefer aisle seats. Middle seats are the ones people don't want. On the aisle you can come and go as you please and don't have to worry about others. You might have to get up for someone every so often but that's a good thing. Especially on long flights.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Waltzing Along posted:

What? People prefer aisle seats. Middle seats are the ones people don't want. On the aisle you can come and go as you please and don't have to worry about others. You might have to get up for someone every so often but that's a good thing. Especially on long flights.

err yeah i mispoke and meant middle, sry my brain is fried after getting off a long international flight and just got home.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Jay_Zombie posted:

6' 4" here, long legs and big feet. My knees hit everything all the time.
To add to the discomfort, I have broad shoulders, so if there's anyone sitting next to me, I have to kinda just fold up so that I don't encroach on their space.

I was one of the last to board a full flight last weekend. I saw some huge guy with an open seat next to him and thoughtlessly thought, "he looks cool, I'll sit next to him." The flight attendant saw the huge shoulder issue and suggested I sit next to some lady in the back row. The lady declares, "I don't want him sitting next to me!"

I shout, "Good, I love a challenge!" Then squeeze in next to her. Turns out she was just kidding and we spend the whole flight doing shots and talking about football. Cool flight.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Xaris posted:

err yeah i mispoke and meant middle, sry my brain is fried after getting off a long international flight and just got home.

I hear ya. I'm about to run back to back 10+ hour flights. Gonna be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

shut up blegum posted:

You're welcome! That was actually a great story. The great ending too, I was almost cheering for you lol

Thanks goon I'm glad someone enjoyed it.