Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Lucca Blight posted:

All these places 13 miles away kinda seem like public transit deserts and you're screwed getting to the convention center.

Indianapolis is a public transit desert, yes. Plan to share an uber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Lord Of Texas posted:

Indianapolis is a public transit desert, yes. Plan to share an uber.

Indianapolis is a very weird city, where it appears that if you aren't at the very center or the very edge there's nothing at all.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Last few years I've been able to get skybridge adjacent hotels. This year I'm 12 miles out. Sigh that's the lottery for you.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

That's basically it. I've found the downtown hotels that aren't skybridge to be pretty good too.

I was at the Sheraton City Centre one year, and last year some friends were over at the Hilton Garden Downtown. None of us were hauling lots of stuff so being a 5-10m walk was good, and finding chill tables at those hotels was easier because they were a bit further. Plus the Hilton was caddy-corner from a liquor store. :-)

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
Stuck out by the airport again this year. Small companies don't get in on the exhibitor block anymore so get to haul miniatures game stuff in an Uber for 4 days. Lottery was cruel this year. We got stuck at the Extended Stay America last year and it was horrible, so I don't recommend that one if you are still trying to get a room.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Four friends and I had time slots, and I had the earliest at 2:01 PM. I managed to get a hotel in Monument Circle, five blocks away from the convention center, and it sounds like basically everything else was sold out shortly after.

Edit: If anyone is savvy with Python, there's a neat utility on GitHub that will automatically check the housing portal for you: https://github.com/mrozekma/gencon-hotel-check You still need to have a badge (it uses your Passkey ID as the lone mandatory parameter).

Necronomicon fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 10, 2020

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

CellBlock posted:

I’m not 100% on this, but there’s a Gen Con minimum of $2 per attendee per 2 hour block, but you can add to that and pocket the difference. (Games with take home stuff like MtG sealed/draft events or miniature paint-and-take, and games where there’s a lot of extra stuff going on like Call of Cthulhu games with music and props and whatnot often charge extra.). Once your event gets to be over $20/2 hours, the con starts taking a bigger cut.

You can get a comped badge for 70 player-hours of events.

For example, you could run your seminar for three hours (maybe like an hour of teaching, then an hour to design the games, and an hour to have everyone show off their stuff. Gen Con would charge attendees $4, and you add up to about $30 without them taking more. If it was open to more than 23 people, that would be at least 70 player-hours and you’d get a badge.

Awesome, I guess I'll be setting this up then!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I managed to get a 10 minute time for the hotel slot and for the first time am staying a mere minutes walk away. looking forward to this like crazy, being in the JW is even better with how much of a To Go place the ballrooms are for open gaming

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i will find you.

don't make me find you.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Added to the first post

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My dream is to stay at the JW one year but $200 a night is a lot for me. Unless they're cheaper through the lottery?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My dream is to stay at the JW one year but $200 a night is a lot for me. Unless they're cheaper through the lottery?

Lol, that is the lottery price (a little higher actually). Double that for out of block.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
You just need to pack the room with goons, then the hotel bill is like $230 total

You’re only ever in the room to sleep anyway

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Do not forget being in the room when trying to sneak off to have sex, with the 100% guarantee someone will show up looking for you no matter how unlikely you think that is

Look I get it, everyone at Gen-Con is single forever, but I am tackling the real issues here

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The J.W. Marriott really is pretty swank. It is kind of like a mini-convention adventure for me every year for the one time I inevitably need to go over there and see the amazing little nerd ecosystem it has going on

Mudcrab did you get the blondies recipe yet

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fellis posted:

You just need to pack the room with goons, then the hotel bill is like $230 total

You’re only ever in the room to sleep anyway

Shots Wednesday is about the limit of nerdass Goons that my partner will put up with. She'd murder me if I let anyone else at all stay with us.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I slept on my hotel window and now my options are by the airport or straight north of the convention center on 465. Is one better than the other for traffic? Guess I'll be uber/lyfting again.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Do not forget being in the room when trying to sneak off to have sex, with the 100% guarantee someone will show up looking for you no matter how unlikely you think that is

there isn’t enough time to play *games* at gencon, who is spending time getting crazy con strange

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Shots Wednesday is about the limit of nerdass Goons that my partner will put up with. She'd murder me if I let anyone else at all stay with us.

I have located the problem, however you may not be interested in the solution. Also self-deprecation of the members of this website aside, goons at gencon are probably above average in comparison to gen con gen pop. But a very understandable excuse.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fellis posted:

there isn’t enough time to play *games* at gencon, who is spending time getting crazy con strange

I have located the problem, however you may not be interested in the solution. Also self-deprecation of the members of this website aside, goons at gencon are probably above average in comparison to gen con gen pop. But a very understandable excuse.

Ah, but I kid. She hasn't encountered anyone through me that she's disliked, she's just 100% not into anything gaming related.

Why is she at Gencon, you may ask? Turns out she's the perfect demographic for all the non-gaming things.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Fellis posted:

Nelly ran a speed dating event at Gen Con for a while and even found her husband at such an event at Gen Con, so it happens. She recently posted on facebook somewhere about how soulcrushing it kind of is for the women that participate because the guys are just there to have fun but they have expectations that just make the woman nervous and not have fun at said speed dating events.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Nelly ran a speed dating event at Gen Con for a while and even found her husband at such an event at Gen Con, so it happens. She recently posted on facebook somewhere about how soulcrushing it kind of is for the women that participate because the guys are just there to have fun but they have expectations that just make the woman nervous and not have fun at said speed dating events.

I'm a guy, but I honestly cannot even fathom how a woman at GenCon would even want to participate in that.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

O.K., jeeze, I will go ahead and mark you as a "no"

(also definitely hoisted on my own petard there; true, if no time for gaming, then hey, Dr. Q, no time for love)

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ah, but I kid. She hasn't encountered anyone through me that she's disliked, she's just 100% not into anything gaming related.

Why is she at Gencon, you may ask? Turns out she's the perfect demographic for all the non-gaming things.
I certainly understand, as my wife has now gone six times despite being gamer-tolerant at best. Definitely had fun learning to crochet with plastic bags and making her own TREE OF LIFE and learning the foxtrot and skipping yoga for being too early; all the great traditional non-gamer activities

nesbit37 posted:

If I just read a summary of Nelly's existence online I might actually suspect she literally choice her partner to get closer to Gen Con, as it was very jarring to learn that "the way overexcited-for-the-con Irish woman from the forums a couple years ago ... married the head event organizer!?" But man, if you watch any of her videos, it is kind of adorable how much she clearly loves her perpetually-disgruntled teddy bear

Speaking of disgruntled teddy bears, I am disappointed that I have now finally watched all of Nelly's videos, as there is seemingly nobody else out there who both has a good-quality camera and wants to make nerd convention travelogues (not focusing exclusively on like boring 10-minute interviews with game designers anyway)

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm a guy, but I honestly cannot even fathom how a woman at GenCon would even want to participate in that.
I know some women who attend who could probably be talked into a speed-dating event, and who would totally just think of it as a joke but one they are willing to play along with. Which honestly might be what Nelly was thinking, too, before accidentally meeting someone

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Fellis posted:

as it turns out, nerds are extremely horny

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

I know some women who attend who could probably be talked into a speed-dating event, and who would totally just think of it as a joke but one they are willing to play along with. Which honestly might be what Nelly was thinking, too, before accidentally meeting someone

I could totally see that. I guess in my head I always assumed it was women just having a fun time and creepy weirdo guys like the ones who want to take pictures of every cosplay girl there.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Necronomicon posted:

as it turns out, nerds are extremely horny

:monocle:

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

I slept on my hotel window and now my options are by the airport or straight north of the convention center on 465. Is one better than the other for traffic? Guess I'll be uber/lyfting again.

Not a major difference but as an Indy resident, I'd say stay near the airport. It's all highway to downtown. If you hear horror stories from last year it's because there was nasty construction between the airport and downtown at the time.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's 272/night via the block for a standard room

I usually only spend on vacation for gen con, so i have money kicking around to splurge on a good room placement, and i also rarely buy anything at gen con other than food. i usually have 4 folks so it sits at way less total!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is there a trick to getting a room connected to the convention center or are you just at the mercy of the die roll?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is there a trick to getting a room connected to the convention center or are you just at the mercy of the die roll?

Luck of the roll. My brother got a great placement last year first he’d ever tried only one request for our whole group. This year we tried for three time slots by buying our badges individually, we pulled one subpar time and two garbage times.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The literal trick is getting your hotel in September.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Dr. Quarex posted:

The literal trick is getting your hotel in September.

The real trick is abusing the hotel points system to reserve your Gencon 2020 room on August 14th of 2019.

The even realer trick is getting your wife getting pregnant so she has a due date of August 4th 2020.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hahahaha

You know, I have tried both of those tricks myself, which is why I missed Gen-Con 2016

Also wait did you mean to doxxx yoself

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Dr. Quarex posted:

Hahahaha

You know, I have tried both of those tricks myself, which is why I missed Gen-Con 2016

Also wait did you mean to doxxx yoself

Whoops!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yes this whole debacle has reminded me that I probably just sent a link to this new thread to the GroupMe and was like WELP OBVIOUSLY THAT COVERS EVERYONE

So shameful.

Gen-Con deserves better. I will jump into the Sphere of Annihilation now.

*rolls a 1, jumps into Sphere of Inflation Fetishists* noooooooo this is wooooorrrse

Welp, this has now informed me that when my last phone died, and I upgraded, I didn't re-install GroupMe. I need to fix that ASAP.

I got SUPER hosed on the hotel list, I got 9pm. So now it's 12 miles away, or just stay in Carmel with the random guys I met and stayed with last year ( Which was awesome ). The problem, it's in loving Carmel, so a Lyft/Uber is about ~$30, and I likely don't have a place to store my luggage on Sunday.

I ended up lucking out most days and got rides back, and rode in with the gents I stayed with, but I can't count on luck again. Also lucked out and stored my luggage with a friend in their car that I literally met at the Con from the Wyrmwood community. I at least had talked to them previous to the con online. ;)

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Settle for a lovely room now, and keep an eye on the housing portal as the cancellation date for rooms approaches. You might get lucky and find something! You could also use the script I posted earlier to do the whole thing automatically

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Time to randomly bump the thread because I realized I forgot to link Some Dude's Guide to Going to Gen-Con that I do think is about as complete and useful a summary as I have ever seen in one place. Other than the collective astounding wisdom of these threads here, of course.

I feel like I only disagreed with his advice two or three times, which is extraordinarily low, considering I think of Gen-Con as more of a trip to Disneyworld at age 6 than as a convention where adults play and buy games.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Hey, its the thread I paid my $10 to post it!

I know a few of you, most of you will know me at Toshimo's tag-along.

Our luck with the housing portal was crap. On the upside, our housing is about a block and a half from shots Wednesday. I'm thinking of bringing one of those rental scooters inside overnight so I don't have to search for one in the morning.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
omg Join4Gen

The real pro move is to not even get a hotel and create a makeshift shelter by throwing a tarp over a bunch of those electric scooters; that way you ALSO know you have one in the morning

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

likelihood gencon is canceled due to coronavirus?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

If we get to the point where a nerd convention in Indiana is canceled, society will have degraded to the point that your largest concern will not be that cancellation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ketchup vs catsup posted:

It's all the way in August so probably not. Or if it is cancelled you're not going to be very mad because we'll be in week 6 of our self isolations.