Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

OB_Juan posted:

Gencon Hype! Will this be the year I finally getremember to do the Battletech pods? Will I survive Shots Wednesday? Is this the year I leave my tickets at home, and get Turbo Hosed? Who knows!

Probably not. I always say I'm going to try the pods, and then I'm bummed out by how outdated they are.

Starship simulators are where it's at now. (And there are like half a dozen different ones; don't pay a bunch of money for Artemis; do Empty Epsilon or Greenemyst or whatever the gently caress they're all called now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

nesbit37 posted:

Are the current simulators getting any better? It's been 4 years or so since I played Artemis at home or a con. Things at the time felt like they were stagnating.

Probably not, but maybe? I just think an hour or whatever of farting around in space and perhaps crashing into a planet is better than like 15 minutes in the battletech pods.

If you had like a VR bee simulator, you'd probably get everyone in the GroupMe to come play it. Just sayin'

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

nesbit37 posted:

Are there VR bridge simulators or something else? Part of the space I run at this university is a VR lab for up to 12 simultaneous users, would love to use a bridge simulator or something else in there.

As far as I've ever seen, the bridge simulators are all non-VR, but usually with touchscreen PCs, and sometimes with other immersive features, like lighting that changes colors and sound systems.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew just came out on Oculus Quest, so someone might set up an area of that (since it wouldn't need a bunch of PCs or PS4s).

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah you can do this

Someone in our group got a 12:50ish slot, so fingers crossed there.

I think this year I'm gonna skip running a public game. I'll still do a goon game mind. I sorta kinda had this idea for running a Design A Game In An Hour workshop that might be fun, anyone have any experience running larger events like that? I've done it outside of cons. How does charging for events work? All of my games are always functionally free. Do I get that money somehow, does it go toward comping my badge in some way?

I’m not 100% on this, but there’s a Gen Con minimum of $2 per attendee per 2 hour block, but you can add to that and pocket the difference. (Games with take home stuff like MtG sealed/draft events or miniature paint-and-take, and games where there’s a lot of extra stuff going on like Call of Cthulhu games with music and props and whatnot often charge extra.). Once your event gets to be over $20/2 hours, the con starts taking a bigger cut.

You can get a comped badge for 70 player-hours of events.

For example, you could run your seminar for three hours (maybe like an hour of teaching, then an hour to design the games, and an hour to have everyone show off their stuff. Gen Con would charge attendees $4, and you add up to about $30 without them taking more. If it was open to more than 23 people, that would be at least 70 player-hours and you’d get a badge.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

"People" aren't really worried about it closing, but the people in the Gen Con facebook groups and message boards are, because these are the people who spend the entire year talking to each other about going to Gen Con, and so it's all they have.

(Yeah, the GroupMe stays open all year round, but we're mostly not talking about Gen Con the whole time. Just Beastfucker and Malort, which are things tangentially related to Gen Con.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Con or not, I hope they still send badges. I think it'll be fun to have a badge for the convention that never happened. (Sort of like tickets for cancelled concerts or things like that.)

My badge from 2012 is just cardstock; it shouldn't be too big of an expense to print them out for people that want them. (I want them.)

I guess I could buy merch from Offworld Designs, but it's not the same.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

only one entrance in and one exit out of every location, staffed by "more police control" and over 400,000 hand sanitizer dispensers, plus like half a million masks? love it, excellent stuff

I mean, it’s basically PAX, and people love that poo poo for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Deviant posted:

as the unofficial official self-appointed coordinator of virtual goon-gen-goon-gencon, i hereby demand:

post here if you would play in pangea ultima's games. i am sure they can be filled/made hilarious/shatpost upon by the very posters of this thread if pangea ultima would like to do that.

no, you don't get to know what the games are in advance.

(there are other virtual goon gen goon gencon events planned too, watch this space)

I probably would. My regular board gaming group has been meeting in Discord at our usual meetup time and playing games on like boardgamearena and yucata.de, and I requested the days that would have been Thursday and Friday of Gen Con off of work, so if I'm not allowed to hang out at my friends' house and game there (and possibly even if I am, because when we go to Gen Con, I don't only do events with them, so they can manage without me for a couple hours), I'd do some online goon gaming.