Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Blind Rasputin posted:

The Expanse’s biggest downfall will always be how much IP it ripped off from the 1999 theatrical release of Wing Commander. They were even going to cast Freddie Prince Jr as Holden until he said nope, “been there done that.” The show would probably be seeing another three seasons if it a) wasn’t for the absence of Freddie and b) the complete lack of TV show tie-in merchandise. They could’ve released an entire clothing and action figure line like so many viewers asked them to but they didn’t. If you are upset that this show’s final season only got 6 episodes if I were you I’d blame the wing commander movie for how famous it made Freddie, and Hollywood’s socioeconomic reliance on action figures to turn a buck. Don’t blame Star Citizen.

I wish this could be the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Blind Rasputin posted:

The Expanse’s biggest downfall will always be how much IP it ripped off from the 1999 theatrical release of Wing Commander. They were even going to cast Freddie Prince Jr as Holden until he said nope, “been there done that.” The show would probably be seeing another three seasons if it a) wasn’t for the absence of Freddie and b) the complete lack of TV show tie-in merchandise. They could’ve released an entire clothing and action figure line like so many viewers asked them to but they didn’t. If you are upset that this show’s final season only got 6 episodes if I were you I’d blame the wing commander movie for how famous it made Freddie, and Hollywood’s socioeconomic reliance on action figures to turn a buck. Don’t blame Star Citizen.

lmao

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Last episode in 18.5 hrs :ohdear:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Last episode in 18.5 hrs :ohdear:

guess I should probably watch the first five episodes of this season huh

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Seriously gonna miss this when it's done. Any other promising space sci fi shows on the horizon?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Babylon 5 reboot.
Being handled by JMS.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

I hope Amos and Holden finally kiss me tomorrow

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mu Zeta posted:

Seriously gonna miss this when it's done. Any other promising space sci fi shows on the horizon?

Set the Deep Space Nine box set down somewhere and then walk about three miles in any direction

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Speaking of which, Apparently Paramount has seen great engagement with their animated Star Trek series’. Rumor has it they’re bringing back DS9 as a animated sitcom, completely rebooting the story from ep1s1. “…a plucky cast of federation crew members navigating through their new life aboard the space station. With the cardassians next door and worm hole emissaries galore, what mischief will the crew get into next?!” Sounds like they’re gunning for Chris Rock for the voice of Sisko.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Boo

Remake enterprise

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Speaking of which, Apparently Paramount has seen great engagement with their animated Star Trek series’. Rumor has it they’re bringing back DS9 as a animated sitcom, completely rebooting the story from ep1s1. “…a plucky cast of federation crew members navigating through their new life aboard the space station. With the cardassians next door and worm hole emissaries galore, what mischief will the crew get into next?!” Sounds like they’re gunning for Chris Rock for the voice of Sisko.

Can't tell if shitpost or not

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Blind Rasputin posted:

I saw Wing Commander in the theater when it first came out AMA.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Wang Cummander

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

tokin opposition posted:

Boo

Remake enterprise

No matter how much you polish a turd...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ApeHawk posted:

Well, the key differences here are that the source material for the Expanse is actually complete and the authors are considerably more invested in the show than GRRM was.

The Expanse authors also were able to release new books and short stories on a fairly regular cadence unlike GRRM.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

The Expanse authors also were able to release new books and short stories on a fairly regular cadence unlike GRRM.

The first Expanse book, Leviathan Wakes, came out a month before A Dance With Dragons. The ninth, Leviathan Falls, came out last month.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Blind Rasputin posted:

Too far

Jows
May 8, 2002

acumen posted:

The first Expanse book, Leviathan Wakes, came out a month before A Dance With Dragons. The ninth, Leviathan Falls, came out last month.

I wonder if anyone is even going to read the remaining ASOIAF books if GRRM ever finishes them. I certainly won't give two shits. Totally blown potential.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jows posted:

I wonder if anyone is even going to read the remaining ASOIAF books if GRRM ever finishes them. I certainly won't give two shits. Totally blown potential.

Some will of course

But yeah, the sales will be a fraction of what they would if the fucker had released them before the awful TV show finale

edit: me personally I would probably just wait for someone to made a detailed summary and read that mostly just to know how different it is from the bullshit we got on TV

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I absolutely would. But let's not kid ourselves - TWoW's odds are extremely dim and even if a miracle happens and it releases, ADoS will never be written by GRRM. I can't see the sales being all that different from ADWD, people just don't like reading much - look no further than this thread for a ton of people astounded that they will get no conclusion to the Expanse's story.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah some of the people who read all the books will read it but no way anybody who just watched GoT will read the previous books. People won't all of a sudden pick up that book series to get a better ending.

And agreed that the seventh book will never be written by him. He gets mad when people talk about what if he dies before he finishes, but he's a very morbidly obese man who's two years from male life expectancy in the US and he's been writing book six for ELEVEN YEARS. Holy poo poo.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 13, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jows posted:

Aside from the blown potential of the tv series, at this point if GRRM released a new book then I'd feel like I'd have to re-read at least a Dance of Dragons to refresh myself on the story and jesus that's a long book to read again.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Alchenar posted:

Aside from the blown potential of the tv series, at this point if GRRM released a new book then I'd feel like I'd have to re-read at least a Dance of Dragons to refresh myself on the story and jesus that's a long book to read again.

And then you'd still have to wait another 15 years for the actual final book (it wouldn't come actually) lol

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Like the moral of GoT is that it's better to have a compromise that everyone can live with rather than one person imposing their version of truth and justice on everyone else. That's what the story is about. I don't need to read another 2000 pages to get to that point.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Alchenar posted:

I can resume it for you if you like...

Dany shits in a field...

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
PREVIOUSLY, ON GAME OF THRONES

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was making GBS threads brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

Ladies and gentlemen, our generations Tolken.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Blood - ruby red blood - her blood. Blood. And piss and poo poo.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

donkey balls

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

fartknocker posted:

I saw Wing Commander in the theater when it first came out AMA.

I own that poo poo on DVD, it rules.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Blind Rasputin posted:

I dunno about the rest of the sentences past the first one but Prodigy is easily the most classic Trek of all the current Trek shows. Also it's really pretty.

For All Mankind is good imo.

Looking forward to the show tonight!!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pastamania posted:

PREVIOUSLY, ON GAME OF THRONES

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was making GBS threads brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

Ladies and gentlemen, our generations Tolken.

Maybe the wait for Winds of Winter has broken me, but I'm unironically on board of the legendary prophecied chosen one getting cholera.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Alchenar posted:

Like the moral of GoT is that it's better to have a compromise that everyone can live with rather than one person imposing their version of truth and justice on everyone else. That's what the story is about. I don't need to read another 2000 pages to get to that point.

Idiot moral for assholes, no wonder he voted for Joe "I have no brain and I must poo poo" Biden

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

smooth jazz posted:

Babylon 5 reboot.
Being handled by JMS.

I keep thinking how its surprising they haven't tried to do this. Even if it wasn't a reboot, a new series set in the B5 galaxy would be welcome.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

twistedmentat posted:

I keep thinking how its surprising they haven't tried to do this. Even if it wasn't a reboot, a new series set in the B5 galaxy would be welcome.
They are doing it.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/babylon-5-reboot-the-cw-j-michael-straczynski-1235075236/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

twistedmentat posted:

According to JMS, there was an executive at WB (which owns all B5 rights other than theatrical movie, which JMS pitched a few times) who personally loving hated B5 and/or JMS and blocked all projects from development. The reboot is in progress now because he's gone.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

JMS is one of of the few reasons I haven't uninstalled twitter. The guy seems to spend so much time there it's a miracle he gets any work done.

Pro follow.

Anyways, glass raised for Expanse 0606

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Considering the authors of the Expanse say there's a whole lot going on in background and that people shouldn't poo poo on Amazon just yet, I kind of have an image of Bezos sitting on his throne of skulls, waiting for the episode to air and then give a thumbs up or down deciding the fate of the show.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Two. Agonizing. Hours.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I wouldn't put any weight into "... behind the scenes ..." gossip. I'm still waiting on that new Stargate continuation/reboot promised a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

smooth jazz posted:

JMS is one of of the few reasons I haven't uninstalled twitter. The guy seems to spend so much time there it's a miracle he gets any work done.

Pro follow.

Anyways, glass raised for Expanse 0606

Pick up his book too, it's excellent.