Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

T-man posted:

I wonder if the Pluto is a planet debate still happens in the Expanse and if there are angry boomerbelters who try to live on it

Pluto is what the Roci blew up to test their new railgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I recently saw the pilot episode and the Belter that was being tortured by hanging on those hooks was accused of smuggling contraband stealth technology. It goes way back. Though I forget if he was working for Protogen.

He wasn't, and they never figure out who he WAS working for...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm starting to be certain that the builders were incorporeal

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

They have like hallways and poo poo inside their facilities, but maybe that's just for maintenance bots or something. They might have become something like the "Endless" in endless space, entirely virtual, livin' in the cloud.

Yeah, I think they "ascended" or whatever, and are actually still around.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Norton the First posted:

Mods please ban this classist.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Native or not, "we settled here because we had nowhere else to go after both your governments went to war with each other over something we had nothing to do with and destroyed our homes, and then created a bullshit treaty that allows you to continue to oppress us and prevent us from thriving, and then send a team of murderers to come and steal our claim from us" is a pretty strong justification for violence tbh

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Narsham posted:

So what, they ascend and now they won’t answer a call from their mother protomolecule?

No, they just don't give a poo poo anymore; nothing happening in the physical plane matters to them anymore. Protomolecule was just their physical instrument after they uploaded themselves to the laser cloud

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Holy gently caress shut up about BSG, an absolute garbage show when compared to the Expanse, which is what we're here for

:agreed:

In hundreds of years, after continuing to hijack and figure out protomolecule/Builder technology I think we'd have plenty of space and/or technological advances that a lack of space/overpopulation would not be a major issue

It would only be a matter of time until they figured out how to use protomolecule to generate artificial gravity and inertia dampening like Eros had, and start building massive space habitats and ships that go ludicrous speeds to reach other stars manually.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

TFW you don't understand the science of capitalism.

His gimmick is "I'm a loving dumbass lol", just ignore him like the rest of us

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Firefly existing gave us Serenity, so it's good in my book.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Firefly counterpoint: insanely hot young Christina Hendricks.

Fuckin a

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TommyGun85 posted:

Just jumped into this thread for the 1st time, as I finished binging all 4 seasons of this show.

Is this thread actually about the show because all Ive seen is discussion about BSG and other sci fi shows.

I have legit questions about the protomolecule and the ring.If these are answered in future books, please do not spoil.

1. My understanding of the PM is that the proto species created it as a tool and that it was human meddling that weaponized it. Ok fine, but why did it start building the ring? Was that its purpose before it was discovered by humanity or only after when they crashed it on Venus?

2. Did the ring used to exist in the past? It is stated that the proto species blew up 1300 worlds trying to stop the thing that would eventually extinct them. Why now open these gates to humans and are these the same worlds that they previously destroyed?

3. The alien structures on Ilus are from the proto species or the species that destroyed them and the PM activated them to find answers as to who they were? Is it a coincidence that the colonists just happened to pick this planet or did they bring the PM with them.

I know these were probably answered in show and I probably just missed them or misunderstood, but I binged 40 eps in like a week.

Lastly, would anyone recommend reading the books concurrently with the show or wait until it is finished. I dont want to cross spoil myself by reading Book 4 for example which may contain spoilers for Season 5.

1. Yeah, that was the purpose of it. It was shot at the Sun billions of years ago to build the ring so they could colonize the system.

2. Nobody said it blew up 1300 worlds just that some were blown up. The 1300 is how many were opened up by rings to humanity. Nobody sent the PM to us after that happened, it was already en route and got caught in Saturn's gravity. The PM is an automatic system that just did what it was programmed to do.

3. Seems the structures were PM race and the station in the ring space was trying to figure out what happened, so it sent Miller to start fiddling around and investigating. Everything that was left was just the automated support systems and AI. It can be assumed that nearly every planet they access from the rings will have PM poo poo on it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

"galaxy sold as is; furniture and appliances included. big fixer upper."

You got a death wish, Johnny Truant?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TommyGun85 posted:

The reason I think its not a great idea is that is pretty much kills the discussion and hype that builds between episodes. If you pace yourself, the discussion is already over by the time you finish.

Even if you start your binge a couple days after everyone else you get left behind. There are goons itt that watched the entire season twice in 2 days.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Some people use the aspect ratio to give scenes a certain feeling.

Yeah, what i read was that they used the wide frame on the planet to convey the sense of openness compared to the typical cramped interiors you see.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I am absolutely loving blown away by how many goons are hiveminding about how this season was "boring". Did we watch the same season???

Edit: getting ahead of the pedants, "parts of the season were boring", fine. Still bonkers, all of it was tense and interesting. But it wasn't screaming at aliens and space battles and big pretty explosions so I suppose I understand how some people might grunt and slap their high chair tray and say it sucks.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 11, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mooktastical posted:

Has anyone ever invoked the ~goon hivemind~ thing with regards to something they agree with? Any time I see it mentioned it gets a lot harder to believe that the person is coming from a place of good faith. Kind of like an ad homenim, imo.

I should mention that I liked season 4. Not as much as season 3, but given what I've heard of the source book, it probably turned out as well as one could expect.

Why would you deride the hivemind if you're part of it? I just get exhausted with the standard "actually, this good thing is bad" thing that goons love to do.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Torquemada posted:

This seems like an overreaction? The general consensus of the thread is ‘The Expanse’ is the greatest tv show of all time: of the four seasons, we prefer the fourth one least. Hardly ‘all goons hate good things’.

I'll concede I overreacted in this instance, but you're absolutely deluding yourself if you think the contrarian goon hivemind doesn't exist

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Midgetskydiver posted:

Maybe you should post elsewhere then? That way you'd be less exhausted and people here wouldn't have to endure your condescension over tv opinions.

Oh gently caress off

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Underrated Amos line was his “I’m gonna test it out right now” regarding his newly healed hand.

What's the consensus on this line? Was he making a masturbation joke, or referencing him going to beat the loving gently caress out of Murtrey? I've heard lots of proponents for both.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, the Earth and Mars stuff were pretty clearly setting up stories for later and building the setting, and viewing them through the same lens as the main story arc or previous seasons isn't really fair.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah Arjun was fuckin bad, for sure. The point of Avasrala not having any good characters to play off of is a very good point too.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

McSpanky posted:

I feel like I'm the only person that caught onto this and I haven't read the books. She clearly has no patience for leadership or ability to tolerate the kind of social maneuvering that formal politics requires, she'd much rather be setting up the dominos than dealing with the mess when they tip over.

Yeah, I picked it up too. She wasnt elected into her job, and her entire agenda is "keep people from getting killed by aliens, who cares about other poo poo".

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

T-man posted:

*Space Monkey's Paw curls one finger* it is done, but it's been done by those pregnant elsa spiderman video generators trained on the books

The intro is also cursed.

That's bad.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

gfarrell80 posted:

Does it come with your choice of toppings?

Yes! But the toppings contain protomolecule.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Who cares, watch the drat show

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'll face Jod and walk backwards into hell

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah but spaceships blowing up giant mirrors that crash into domes is super cool comparatively

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If the Expanse was actually hard science, it wouldn't exist because our planet and everyone on it will be dead in 100 years

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Saturn is twice as far away from the sun as Jupiter.

Yeah the scale of space is really loving unreal and hard to make sense of. Here is an awesome scale map. The little doodad on the bottom right scrolls it at the speed of light.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

T-man posted:

If I teleport out of an open airlock which way will my soul fall away?

Down

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

The Belters aren't mining precious metals though, and precious metals probably lose all value once an extraction operation even a tenth the size of the Belt gets going. They're out there scrabbling for water and carbon and industrial metals, which is even more insulting to watch all get carted off than some shiny rock you can't eat or use, because you could be drinking/breathing/burning that water right there but nope the paperwork says EarthCorp owns it.

Yeah, how Ceres didn't explode into violence every time the Cant came home loaded with ice is mystifying.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Because that ice was for Ceres?

If by "for Ceres" you mean "for belters to get their limited water ration while the rest is used to water gardens and fill Martian and Earther ship's tanks" then yes

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

I think the Cant specifically was reserved for mostly feeding Ceres' own reserves, that's why the water rationing clamped down extra hard after it got destroyed - that was the water earmarked for keeping Ceres alive, it's all the hundreds of other freighters that are looting the place.

You get my point though

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

And even then, metals never really come up as being in short supply in the books. Which makes sense with being able to mine the asteroid belt.

Oxygen and water being in such short supply doesn't really make sense but they need something to make the story of oppression work, so I'm fine not looking at that too closely.

It makes perfect sense if you look at current capitalist trends. Oxygen and water aren't in actual short supply, they are being withheld by the elites specifically to keep Belters in line. Same as living wages and healthcare in the current US capitalist state; you don't have time to organize unions when you're so busy working 3 jobs to avoid homelessness and death. All conjecture, of course.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Teddy the Detector shirt when

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

The crazy thing is they sell what I'm pretty sure is the actual mug without a label.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Emsa-504843-insulated-drinking-translucent/dp/B000ICINFO

Just screen print the MCRN logo and you'll be able to charge $50 for it guys

That is in fact the cup.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Is that yours? If so how did you do the printing?

Some vinyl stickers I found online, dont remember where

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Mars is a lovely near-fascist failed state, a Starship Troopers level of dysfunctional military society. Don't know why anyone wants their logo on poo poo.

Because their armor and ships and aesthetic are cool as gently caress. It's fictional media, you're allowed to think things in it are cool without being an irl fascist. Aren't you a huge fan of Brigador?

God I'm so tired of this poo poo coming up every few pages.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Phenotype posted:

My initials are SS, and I remember when I was a little kid I had a really cool way of writing it until the first time my mom saw it.

Ok