Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also, most (basically all) betler settlements, are highly susceptible to cosmic radiation. Earth and ganymede have natural magnetosphere to protect them, martians have a ton of settlements under the surface to protect them, and I believe some asteroid habitats (like ceres or eros) have a large enough rock shell around them to protect them. Some sufficiently advanced ones (like Tycho (i think), and presumably, Medina station) are shielded to protect the interior. While adults are fairly okay, its really harsh on infants/children, which is why everyone in the belt goes to Ganymede if they can. Infant plants have the same susceptibility, so growing food can be really risky if it's not in a place that is capable of protecting the plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes, the magnetic field of Ganymede is basically useless. Being under all that ice is actual protection. Or you could settle Callisto, which is outside Jupiter's radiation belts.

If you want actual natural radiation protection on the surface of something that isn't Earth, Titan's your best bet. Saturn's radiation is minimal and Titan's atmosphere is an effective screen. But so is a few meters of water/ice.

doesnt titan have methane oceans?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Douglas Adams said it best, really

HHG2G posted:

Space,” it says, “is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There aint no law ceres. just cops.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Keeps the rain off my head

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

etalian posted:

Maneo is the most relatable Expanse character.

(Doing dumb rear end stuff to try to impress a chick with nice tits)

they will be naming kids after him for years

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Dancer posted:

No that's Epstein. And who knows maybe some others have died with their ship stuck accelerating.

I read this and forgot Solomon Epstein existed for a minute.

CainsDescendant posted:

They call Maneo dude's beratna but it's unclear if he's his literal brother or if they're just good friends

Beratna is brother in Lang Belta, but it's used pretty frequently for buddy, guy, pal, in addition to actual familial relations. We are all da maliwala of da belt

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Irish rebel song? Man was a pirate and he went singing a goddamned pirate shanty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_7vDil57iI

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's pretty obvious really. They disabled the Donnager, but didn't destroy it, and maybe didn't have sufficient ammunition left TO destroy the ship. Boarding it lets them scuttle the ship while preventing people from escaping. This is their primary objective, and it explains why one squad held the hangar bay where the two corvettes onboard were held, and the rest of them went after the bridge and engineering. Silencing and scuttling the Donnager was their first and foremost concern, while gaining access to the Donnagers computers, whether it's steal intelligence and martian naval secrets (force deployments, communications codes, etc), or just to cover their tracks is a bonus. So would be planting evidence that more directly lays the blame on the UN Navy. Computers could be salvaged and analyzed, and that could help or hurt them, but living witnesses are another thing entirely, so it's best to make sure that everyone onboard the Donnager is dead, preferably while making the whole thing as mysterious as possible.

So while the soldiers in the hangar bay may have been there just to try and stop anyone from taking either of the Donnagers corvettes, it makes for good entertainment when Holden and company are making a break for the Tachi.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The TV show has been referencing as far into the series as Book 5 since as early as the first episode. The Expanse is, by far, one of the best adaptations ever produced. Coming into it from the show, as you work your way through each novel you'll see where they pulled different things from, but if they feel "thin" early on it's because it's they filled up the show with stuff from far deeper into the series much, much earlier.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

CainsDescendant posted:

I'm pretty sure Julie said she hid it in the asteroid before taking the shuttle in 1x09

Pretty sure it's this, but it's been a minute since I watched it.

Phobophilia posted:

Very little made by the hands of man can be resist the force of a nuclear warhead. The only way to harden something against a nuke is (1) volume, and (2) mass: two things that are at a premium on board a functional spaceship. The Donnager isn't that big. A direct hit will kill it. Its battle doctrine is to simply not get hit, and use its many many armaments to kill the enemy first.

Nukes are comparatively limited in space between the lack of atmosphere and a minimal/nonexistant EMP effect. I'm also not sure if all torpedoes used are nuclear, a nuclear torpedo loving obliterates the Canterbury, and Holden and crew manage to surgically disable a UN capital ship using a fuckload of torpedos.

McSpanky posted:

Any explosive in open space is going to be limited to its primary effects without the atmospheric component, but even with nukes that intense release of radiation can be shaped toward your target as highly kinetic plasma. A direct hit would also still produce the largest energy release possible of any explosive warhead.

You really have to come up with a pretty special situation to not use nukes if your goal is simply to deliver the most destructive impulse in the most compact form. From a purely pragmatic standpoint nuclear weapons technology is still in its infancy, the equivalent of black powder ball grenades compared to potential RPGs and claymores.

Nuclear Shaped Charges in space are loving fantastic, and I'm honestly kinda surprised they aren't in the Expanse, because technology-wise they're at absolutely the right level for it. We theorized with them in the 60's as a sort of off shoot of the Orion project, which was going to a space-borne battleship the size of the empire state building, capable of inserting spec-ops teams to anywhere in the world in 30 minutes, and carrying a nuclear arsenal capable of turning warsaw pact into glass. They were experimenting with Nuclear Pulsed Propulsion, where the ship would detonate a specially designed shaped warhead behind that would turn a tungsten plate into a jet of molten almost-plasma that would hit a pusher plate and set the ship on it's way. When they were designing these nukes, they would put the warhead inside a material that would reflect X-rays and funnel them into a beryllium filter that would convert the x-rays to thermal energy, which would then push out into a wide tungsten plate. However some clever genius realized that they could use something, far less heavy, like, say, copper, and instead of using a wide piece of tungsten, they could use a much narrower piece of the lighter copper, and they would get something that moved far, far faster. And depending on the size of the nuke and the dimensions of copper, they could turn said copper into a EFP moving at a non-decimal percentage of C, and drill a hole into a goddamned soviet aircraft carrier with zero warning and zero defense. In a surprisingly understated style for the American military, the guys who designed it called it the Casaba Howitzer. It, along with Orion, were ultimately shelved by Kennedy, though Casaba Howitzers were revisited as part of project Star Wars. They've since been largely declassified, what with this whole not-weaponizing-space nonsense.

In ship to ship combat it would be highly useful, as you could have the destructive potential of a railgun, but with the range of missiles, and, depending on your Casaba Howitzer. You could strike from missile range and detonate before entering PDC range. Controlling the beam via nuclear power and the size, shape, and thickness of plate, you could use it to as counter-missile system as well. But it's a theoretically possibly fielded weapon today, but still highly effective. https://toughsf.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-nuclear-spear-casaba-howitzer.html]Here's a really good article that goes into the history of it and stuff, and here's one that also goes into the history a bit, but mainly in the context for Children of a Dead Earth.

I'm a big fan of the Casaba Howitzer, it's far more interesting to me than any kind of ship based CREWS or CAM or some other kind of fun stuff from the Culture books.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
its fine, amos is one of the deadliest weapons in space combat.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Who knows what state the ship was in following the protomolecule breakout. Or if her being the big bosses daughter gave her some kind of override.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Julie had also been out slumming it in the belt for a while. While she's certainly experienced kicking it around in the Razorback, I get the feeling her piloting skills extended well into flying bigger and heavier ships too. Her dad's mega-space yacht at the very least. A ship like the Roci is supposed to have a full-sized bridge crew too, but for non-combat operations you only need a single pilot. Alex is just dang good enough to fly the Roci on his own, and the rest of the crew helps out with other stuff. Hell, in Caliban's War (I think, might be wrong), Bobbie is pretty drat impressed that Alex has been flying the Roci and manning the guns at the same time. Julie Mao is supposed to be a drat good pilot too, so her docking the Anubis with a rock doesn't throw me for much a loop.

A massive mega-corp skimping on the proper security controls for their top-secret stealth ship doesn't surprise me much either.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, I think the Roci runs a skeleton crew for a single shift on the ship. Most of the other crew would be around for different duty shifts and maybe a handful of MCRN marines for boarding actions/defense. I think they say at one point she can normally staff like 30 people, and if say, six of them are marines, that's 24 crew divided amongst two or three shifts, depending on how the MCRN runs things. They're running with half of a shift, typically. But when you consider that everyone onboard is a player character with heroic levels, that's pretty close to a full crew.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

Isn't there the implication that the ships kinda fly themselves at one point?

Autopilot, yeah, and a good one you can probably tell to just tell to take you from earth to ganymede without you needing to touch a button, but for combat manauvers and stuff theres someone with their hand on the stick.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Book 4 kinda spends a lot of time mucking about, season 4 really improved the pacing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

Considering Ive seen Season 4, am I safe to skip Book 4 altogether if its that bad?

Im really not feeling book Ashford and whatever amalgamation of characters in place of Drummer. And was Bull cut from the show altogether, I dont remember him?

Theres more weird alien poo poo and more robo miller

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Why would you want one over the other when you can have both?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
They time consuming nature of space travel works well in book form. you can make a tense story about ships hurtling through the black across miles upon miles of distance wheree youve got weeks to go out running the bad guys to friendly territory in a book. it doesnt translate well to TV. they could use some little 8 weeks later cards or whatever but i think it would distract the audiences who arent as familiar with the travel times.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You remember the tall skinny belter Miller deals with repeatedly in the first season? by book stndards that dude would be like short side of average for belters. Its just not something feasible for tv.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
When I started into the books I was surprised at how little of the show is in the books, but as I got deeper I was surprised at how little of the books isn't in the show.

Its one of the best adapations ever made.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

My partner's various opinions on the best character:

episode 1: omg Holden is so hot. Amos? wtf he's weird.
episode 4: aww i really like Shed, he and Alex make a great team
episode 5: okay i'm on team Amos now
episode 7: :swoon: AMOOOOOOOOOOS
episode 8: okay look i didn't think Holden was THAT HOT at the beginning of the show, gosh he sucks
episode 10: :syoon: :swoon: AMOOOOOOOOOOS :swoon: :syoon:

wait until she finds out that he is that guy

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
they cut down on the fluff, and reworked the characters a lot. Im a little sad we dont get Michio Pa, but Drummer and the Dread Pirate Ashford are amazing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

T-man posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

what does that have to do with the price of tea on ceres

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Glad to see innocent until provem guilty is dead and buried. whats martian for J'accuse?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

Which is why theres being an investigation being done? Nobody's slapped handcuffs on the guy yet.

i was talking more about the immediate attitude of 'gently caress that guy' in the thread but okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Organic Lube User posted:

So you don't believe his accusers?

No? Am I supposed to take every accusation as factual poof? All I've seen posted is hearsay about it. I'll condemn the dude if he gets convicted of something, but people talking on twitter does not meet anything resembling a burden of proof.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)