Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woden posted:

That and how would they know if they got him for sure if they blew up the ship? That scene bugged me too.

Nothing was stopping them from nuking it after the failed raid though.

Uh, the ship blew up itself in the failed raid, there was nothing to nuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can anyone tell me the context for the scene where Bobby is reviewing on her hand terminal a list of low level Martian navy/marines who have jobs in things like logistics, survey probe intelligence, and protomolecule research? It's shortly before the big betrayal/shootout at the end, but I missed how she obtained that information. I assume they're tied in to the Martian logistics lieutenant captured by the OPA and running supplies to Marco.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beefeater1980 posted:

In a non-spoilery way; she’s checking out known associates.

I wonder who this Commander Duarte guy is listed on all their records.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get what people are getting at with thinking it's low budget now. It looked great, we got new ship sets, and we got new locations. Is it the planet? What else can you do with a barren planet with one settlement besides make it look like a barren planet with a small settlement on it?

I wish they'd done at least one or two alien lifeforms beyond the very basic slugs and the mostly metal flying swarm things.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

It's used for batteries, ceramics, lubricants and other things.

The Martians probably use a lot of lubricant.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Open Source Idiom posted:

Dichen Lachman, surely?

Goon face blindness continues.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe we need to see Gao’s actress fighting naked for a few minutes to be sure.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Norton the First posted:

Kinda surprised how quickly Bobbi gives in to being a crook. As soon as the crime lord sprang her from jail I would have thought she'd put in a call to Chrisjen.

I think she was becoming disillusioned with Mars pretty quickly by that point. The Martian brass scorned her at the reception, the cops are corrupt, her own boss tried to be corrupt when she did the right thing, and her beloved nephew is a drug cooker. She wasn't too thrilled by being used as a Avasarala's pawn at the reception, and she probably didn't' want to leave with her nephew still potentially at risk.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

esperterra posted:

b/c parker posey chewing scenery is always worth it.

It's also a very pretty show. Had a lot of issues, but I enjoyed throwing it on and half paying attention to it.

Did they ever explain why the eldest daughter doesn't look anything like her parents, like an "oh, they adopted me" reference or anything?

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnEdgelord posted:

If I remember correctly Holden's family have control of a small farm they maintain, which they got through some bizarre inheritance scheme where its all in Holden's name because he is technically all of the Commune's child.

I think they get a big cash credit for not having more children.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Svaha posted:

You are supposed to assume that it's Protogen later when they show up in stealth ships. It's never clarified who he's working for, because he kills himself before they can get it out of him.

Nemesis Games came out in June 2015, the Pilot came out Dec. 2015. Pretty sure they were playing the long game there.

The other side’s motivation didn’t exist then, though. Protogen is the only sensible partner at that point from a risk/reward and plausible deniability standpoint for Martians to be able and willing to lose some stealth technology.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Bates posted:

Doc is obviously the preacher lady but I wonder who Tonight and Peaches are.

I thought Doc was the scientist lady on Ilus, Tonight is plausible for his gently caress buddy

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Firefly counterpoint: insanely hot young Christina Hendricks.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qirex posted:

One thing I do appreciate about the show is how it's impossible to actually blockade anything at the scale of space and the speeds things are moving, that's such a lazy convention in tons of sci fi, especially the Clone Wars cartoon where 3 ships sitting next to each other was a full planetary blockade. That does bring up something I might not remember, Ilus/New Terra was mostly covered by water and there were just a few islands to land on, right? "There's a whole drat planet and every faction needs to be in the same spot" is another sci fi cliche.

Although Illus as a planet has huge amounts of lithium, I don't think it's necessarily evenly distributed - in the book it is not, and the belters landed right on the most concentrated area.

Plus adverse possession is a thing, it wouldn't help the corporation's legal position to land elsewhere and leave the belters alone and unsupervised as well as free to take and sell lithium whose ownership is disputed.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/andylevy/status/1211182228832735238

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hopefully they kill him off soon.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Matwic posted:

I'm much more worried about Marco and season 5. He is casted and written exactly like described in the books, but that is not a good thing. In both instances the problem is that every character talks about him as such a charismatic, passionate (and manipulative) leader, but in every scene we see him, he is just a complete poo poo spewing bullshit for minutes and minutes. Yet everybody still fall for his poo poo. That is very bad writing, it is one of the worst examples of "telling us not showing us".

Do you watch old Hitler films and think, this here is a guy who is a complete poo poo spewing bullshit for hours and hours is an uncharismatic, unpassionate dude that no one would follow? Just because Marco has 125x the body count of Hitler doesn't mean he's going to be 125x as persuasive. It works just fine.

Apparatchik Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 31, 2019

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TraderStav posted:

Why won’t anything grow in the belt? Lack of magnetic field cause too much radiation?

That and weak sunlight. Ganymede has a magnetic field and the orbital mirrors focusing sunlight.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nail Rat posted:

The planet itself will be fine, and a new biosphere that loves heat, acid, and plastic will emerge.

Florida Man triumphant.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommanderApaul posted:

What about the fact that it's combination suicide and cloning machine?

Suicide isn't a problem if you believe the clone is you.

The real mistake was in ever believing in you in the first place. Just try to relax and see what your predetermined biological processing matrix is going to make you think you decided.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, how Ceres didn't explode into violence every time the Cant came home loaded with ice is mystifying.

Because that ice was for Ceres?

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TraderStav posted:

Legit shocked there's not a "Keep calm and Belter on" or some poo poo.

Wellwallah propaganda! Get angry, mi beratnas!

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

Mars is a lovely near-fascist failed state, a Starship Troopers level of dysfunctional military society. Don't know why anyone wants their logo on poo poo.

Failed? Mars = Bernie, Earth = Hillary/Mayo, they/he was winning until Holden = DNC rigged the system by opening the gates.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

mars demiliarizing/collapsing as shown in bobbie segments because of the ring worlds doesn't really make any sense to me. If anything their disproportionately large military lets them grab more of the new worlds just like the Spanish in the Americas

Why would Martian sailors/marines a 1+ year round trip voyage from home sign up for deployments like that? If their families and lives are on the local planet and they never rotate back to Mars between 3+ year stints of not seeing their families how long are they doing to stay loyal to Mars or care about orders from there?

If the Martian military and population disperses among a fraction of 1300 worlds, how does this save Mars as it currently exists?

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

Spain held on to its colonies for like 300 years with worse lines of communication for their tech level, the new worlds developing their own economies/populations etc independent of Mars will take decades if not centuries. Mars can probably hold onto any new aquisitions for longer than like 2 months gap of time btwn S3-S4.

Yes, Spanish soldiers free to rape and plunder the indigenious populace and set up personal fiefdoms over there were willing to engage in the machinery of empire. How is this relevant to a Mars that has significantly fewer military ships than planets available to be colonized, defense needs against the belt, and "decades if not centuries" before the colonies it controls can possibly pay for the expense of having a military scattered everywhere and months, at best, from reinforcement?

Grabbing the hub and declaring yourself emperor of humanities diaspora might makes sense for Mars, sponsoring and protecting colonies will just erode their population at home even faster.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

Well S4 is basically about how this whole planet is basically one big gold mine (just like Mexico/peru) so the way to pay for the military is clearly there as long as you have enough guns/ships to grab it. And while a bunch of colonists can mine illicum 2.0 or w/e they are still gonna be dependent on the Mars for advanced industries/military-industrial complex to protect them/supply them with more advanced goods/services.

Pretty much how the actual colonial era worked.

Protect them from what? Raiders who have a months long return trip to a chokepoint where light speed transmissions will have arranged for them to be intercepted and blown up? Why are they dependent on Mars for anything? Is Mars going to blow up competing trade ships from Earth that try to land? Why? Much easier for another Earth/Mars war to erupt at home than to bother fighting out beyond the gates, in which case you better not send any of your ships outside the gates.

And none of this stops the problem that Mars' population wants to leave for better living conditions and freedom. Sending Martian military to make that easier or safer accelerates the process, it doesn't save Mars. Avasarala's hope was that Holden would gently caress up Illus so that colonists would be afraid to leave and she wouldn't have a big collapse/instability in her domestic political situation and especially in her biggest military rival and sometimes ally.

Apparatchik Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 10, 2020

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

yeah but 'we don't have enough ships" isn't really a good line of reasoning for scraping pre-existing warships either. Even if your navy isn't big enough to cover like 100% of the ring worlds or w/e. You can still use it to grab 25% or w/e power projection you can manage.

Pretty much like how the actual colonial competition in the 1500-1700s worked

It's more like you can "grab" 10-15% if you leave zero defense on your home planet against Earth or angry belters and put one single ship on each planet that is easily destroyed piece meal, and can't be rotated, resupplied, or given leave. And none of this stops a critical percentage of your population from leaving for the colonies and turning your homeland into a hollowed out ghost town.

The only realistic power play is to seize the hub and control all human trade and traffic, including placing limits on Martian emigration so that you can shift your industry and power base somewhere else before the collapse.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

Which is also unrealistic imo, when the Americas opened only a small minority emigrated despite huge amount of resources in the colonies relative to home country. Most people don't like taking risks/likes to play it safe and stay in the home country/planet.

I'm impressed that you struggle so much to understand how England vs. America is different from Mars vs. a planet with an atmosphere and comfortable temperature and how people crammed into a wooden ship crossing the Atlantic based on pamphlets and hearsay is different that boarding a space liner based on mass media reports of what awaits on the other side.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

In S2 or something it's specifically mentioned that most younger Martians got used to living under domes anyway. And the Martian terraforming project might be dead within a couple gens if not finished sooner than later.

Also Mars has a developed economy etc and has literal highest life expectancy in the solar system, you are starting from scratch on Planet X without amenities that 1st world planet gives you. Ambitious people would go for it but most people are not ambitious.

Yes, so the ambitious people leave, the quality of living on Mars drops, and the terraforming project fails due to braindrain and the lazy being left behind. So the people on the margin have ever increasing incentives to get out of a failing society.

It's like the US vs Europe, where smarter/harder working and more risk-taking people left, making a richer, smarter and more psychologically hosed up nation in North America and leaving behind enervated mediocrities in the old country. The difference being that kind of being a loser on a global scale in France or Germany isn't too bad of a lifestyle and doesn't risk civilizational collapse.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

And yet it took literal centuries for the new world powers to catch up to the old world. On the long run both earth and mars might be pretty hosed. But that's a process that takes decades/centuries depend on precise situation. It doesn't point to a martian collapse within like 2 years.

I'm sincerely impressed by how you combine a basic proficiency with history with a total inability to understand how different factors would change those historical lessons.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Is this you trolling? Because I’ll admit I’m currently very affronted right now.

This isn't particularly controversial, though? Intelligence and other personality traits are genetically inheritable, so the smarter, harder working, and more risk taking people who tended to leave European countries for America have descendants who still rate higher than average on those traits compared to their co-ethnics in the Old Country. There's plenty of recent research on how this effect has resulted in Americans of Swedish descent being much richer than today's Swedes, even as Sweden descended into social-democratic mediocrity after these people left.

Relevant to the Expanse, this is why we'd expect Mars to be a lot more productive than Earth and develop better technology. And they do!

The Belters should also be relative geniuses since their ancestors were smart enough to work in space. The books explicitly recognize that the Belters are a lot more careful and detail oriented than inners because the casual fuckups weeded themselves out of the gene pool long ago through bad maintenance and suit seals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

You could just admit the space geopolitics of it make no sense and still enjoy the show

They entirely make sense, and that's what makes the show so enjoyable. Your interpretation of the space politics makes no sense and whack-a-moling them is also enjoyable.