Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Going from the book, I thought this season was blisteringly fast. They cut out a ton of downtime.

It's not that anything important was cut, it's just a world building book and they could have easily made it into 2 seasons. I still think it's some of the best TV I've ever seen. I'm really surprised it came out this amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

gohmak posted:

Did the book carry such overt Bible references?

Anna talks in great detail about her faith and crisis of faith during the third book while they are in the ring space. They kind of gloss over it in season 3.

It's not trying to be preachy it's trying to give a realistic view of what a religion person would think. How do you not question your faith after the gate?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

It would have been really loving hilarious if one of the ring gates went to whatever planet the Mormons planned on going to. If they had kept the nauvoo and left, they finally get to their destination and there's belters already living there.

Also was it still the slow zone? I thought the station lifted the speed limit last season.

Without the Nauvoo becoming The Behemoth in the Slow Zone everyone with injuries would have died due to lack of gravity and tensions would have resulted in a shooting war. They would likely have gone through with the plan of nuking the gates. There would also be no Medina station because the Behemoth would not have become it. The only reason that didn't turn into a who owns the station in the Slow Zone: Earth of Mars, is because the Belters basically brought a station with them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This season followed a weak book and didn't really manage to properly flesh out the politics and economics that were brewing under the surface. But goddamnit it was super pretty and the action sequences were on a different level.

We can only hope that now that we're past the silly book future seasons will have a lot more going for them.

Including all the background politics while interesting, would have taken up an equal if not greater amount of screen time.

Do you really want 28 episodes for this book? They did a good job of getting the gist of it in dialog and there's a ton of little background details for the rest if you don't blink.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

E10- What was your interpretation of Amos' "thank you" line? Thanks for going out fighting? Thanks for giving me a good reason to beat the poo poo out of you?

I thought it was a pretty clear
Thanks for giving me a valid self defense argument when 'cap finds you bleeding on the deck missing half your teeth

Doesn't the other option also basically equate to that?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I've seen budget speculation everywhere, Ty said in an interview it's basically identical. A little higher but the improvements in the effects are just that they're better at doing effects, not that they had more money. This is also why the episodes are the same length, they don't have more money for more filming.

Kind of sad that Amazon didn't throw a crazy high budget at it. But I guess you also don't have a sudden jump up in quality 4 seasons into a show. It already looks really good so I'm not sure you'd get any additional viewers that are willing to watch the 3 previous seasons, and starting at season 4 is a terrible idea. I'm picturing what Amazon could do if they rebooted the entire thing with Game of Thrones money levels of investment.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

CainsDescendant posted:

They explicitly said it'd take months to get to the ring from Earth, and then it would take weeks from there to Ilus. There was even a montage of sorts of them checking in with people in the various parts of the system as they went through it to help show the passage of time. The show has definitely had issues displaying time but short of a title card with the current date every scene I don't know what could be done differently.

The planet could have called up the Roci the moment it was in system and started to prattle on about their issues. Then Alex could say "we're 3 weeks out, have you tried..." and say something really basic and obvious that they already tried. Started a debate on if they should even listen to the Roci One to Two scenes could have done a lot. They did pretty much all of the arguments the moment the Roci landed, move that to radio chatter.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

I think she was becoming disillusioned with Mars pretty quickly by that point. The Martian brass scorned her at the reception, the cops are corrupt, her own boss tried to be corrupt when she did the right thing, and her beloved nephew is a drug cooker. She wasn't too thrilled by being used as a Avasarala's pawn at the reception, and she probably didn't' want to leave with her nephew still potentially at risk.

Yeah I took it as she was trying to help the kid go straight before figuring out her own life, hers was dedicated to a cause that no longer exists, she's basically wasted her entire life up to that point. That would be pretty drat demoralizing to anyone, she also had the time to think about it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Yep. The only reason the dude who got his arm frozen and broken off was getting a prosthetic is because they didn't have the gel (though he didn't want any fancy inyalowda gel anyhow).

I could have sworn it was because the gel was expensive and it was the employer who wouldn't pay for it. They talked about the different types of prosthetic and how he's get a nicer one than the last guy, because the last guy hadn't been working as long. I remember them mentioning the major feature difference was tactile feedback, which would be my biggest concern if I needed robotic limbs.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You really think if they had magic jello on hand he'd have turned it down? That's a pretty standard didn't want that arm anyways defense. He'd get the chance to brag about using rich people jello for an arm, that would be way better.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Fragmented posted:

gently caress it i want prosthetic limbs right now. I mean let me test them one at a time first and don't touch my dick but that sounds awesome. Do some Coccyx through C7 spinal work too while you're at it.

Just don't touch my dick.

What if it was bigger and vibrated and could last longer? You still feel everything and shoot your own juices.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

double nine posted:

The Orville is doing fine :colbert:

I was just about to say this, what other scifi is even on right now?

Another life? Because I enjoy that, but in a Star Ship Troopers way, it's so bad it's good.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Calling Holden ripped when you have <3 Amos <3 on screen

Cap, your not that guy

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Data Graham posted:

So, probably dumb question, but is Amos supposed to be autistic?

I keep seeing these moments where he has a social reaction to something that might be just him being a presumed-meathead playing something off for laughs, but might be something else, something he genuinely feels is the right reaction. Like "Does this mean we're not loving anymore?" is the most recent one I've seen, but all through the show there have been a ton of moments where his actions are just ... not the done thing. Like going a bit too HAM beating someone up, or completely ignoring / not picking up on someone's subtext. Is this reading totally off-base or not?

Doesn't come off as it at all in the books. He comes off as more someone with no moral compass but mentally understands that he wants to be a good person but doesn't know what good is. He follows others that he thinks are good and make good decisions and whatever they say goes. He's the muscle and mechanic and is proud as all hell to keep everything working.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

Is it worth reading the books if I enjoy the show?

I know it sounds like a strange question, but if the show is a faithful adaptation and the books dont really add anything, are they worth reading? Are they written well, do they have more backstory, more fleshed out characters, etc.

The books are just different enough to be an excellent read still. Some characters were combined and some events glossed over others expanded.

The books are better at being books and show is better at being a show. Do both.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Elentor posted:

Avasarala might be my favorite TV character and it's my dream to someday write a character half as cool as her because hot drat.

She is excellent I'd watch a prequel that was her political rise done like House of Cards. Given me a Political Space Drama with her as the main character I guess. Is it any more weird than the concept of Better Call Saul? That show is fantastic.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Hopefully with this quarantine, book 9 will get written faster! TWOW too!

There's never really been a problem with hitting the 1 book per year goal. A few have hit editing snags and been delayed a few months but nothing like most book series that go on a 10 year hiatus before coming back and wrapping it up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Marco is basically the introduction to Naomi's backstory in the books. She's extremely private before then constantly deflecting.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I thought most of the damage of a nuke was the atmosphere exploding which doesn't exist in space. Which is why they are generally considered poor weapons in scifi not because of shields and special alloy hulls. I mean you still have to deal with all the radiation that will just give everyone on board super cancer still.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Maybe she really likes Solar Space Truck Simulator 2352 and is good at it though. She would have the money to get some good hardware for it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

The controls consist of an iPad and some buttons on a chair a toddler could prob fly it.

until they press the big red glowing button (the sun)

I assume weapons are a different iPad

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

This happens to just about every piece of scifi.

If it didn't they'd be a prophet, or they didn't make any bold technology.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Ty posted on twitter that they're finishing up season 5 postproduction, so it seems like we're getting it on schedule. But assuming they renew I'm guessing season 6 is 2022 at best.

Hopefully some other show will fill the 2021 void and miss their 2020 season. I have a feeling we're going to see animation get really really popular. Trailer Park Boys transitioned ahead of the curve! (so they could bring a dead actor back for some reason, let Mr Lahey die already).

for animated scifi, we have lower decks and that's it right now?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It only matters if he stops being entertained if he doesn't season 10 is going to get weird when they run out of books .

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Right it is going to get weird as I said. You can't end the his favorite show if you want to work with Amazon again.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

T-man posted:

The Simpsons in SPAAAAAAAACE Season 69

Archer in space was pretty good.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bit we got Matt Berry as Mr Deadly

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Will this be all released December 16 or is it gonna get The Boys weekly treatment?

I believe it's 3 episodes on drop day then weekly. Which should allow for some fun thread discussions on each episode.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The fun question is "What the gently caress were they regularly flying through the Rings to need them to be that big?!" This is a civilization that built a machine that humans mistook for a planet. They aimed big.

Why couldn't the rings be big because it's a highway and you have quintillions of private ships that need to pass?

Proto Molecule is not the species but the tool. The species is dead.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The regulars generally put a ton of effort into their accent and it really makes the world believable. With extras, well you can't spend half your budget recruiting people that can do your fake accent acceptably.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

if we were smart we would have figured out a way to turn dirt into money so everyone could just scoop dirt into their pockets on the way to the store.

It kind of is, you just need a lot of it seriously ever bought a truck load of dirt?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Laterite posted:

miller's hosed up cracked phone screen was a major lol

It also makes perfect sense, he's the type of person that would smash a phone then not care as long as it works. More shows need to show wear and tear on person items. Some people take good care of their stuff, others don't.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 16, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Question: would text input as the main control method be appealing to people? With prompts and stuff obviously, but basically making it a command line input for a lot of stuff, with graphical read outs of the results? And I guess manual control for the basic stuff as well.

It allows you to script much easier as you can script with the same commands you use and just set if statements and waits. It would be really useful because you could quickly script an evasion pattern if you know what you are doing in the middle of combat. Obviously not the guy doing the manual controls at the moment but you'd have a coder somewhere on staff that could help you out.

Maybe you want to do a custom script to pulse the engines every time you fire a rail gun or something.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh, that's fine too. It's not like time has any meaning anymore. Tomorrow is yesterday and yesterday is six months from now. All is one.

Ka is a wheel whose only purpose is to turn

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I don't miss having to feel like I need to stay up all night and take the next day off work or avoid the internet for 2 days and spend my free time to binging a show to feel like I can take part in a discussion before it's old and everything has been talked about.

I'm not someone that heavily cares about spoilers but I want to probably talk about what I watched and read what other people are writing. I'll probably notice something you didn't and you'll notice something I didn't and together we will have a better experience.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It's the perfect compromise, you get the first few episodes to get you into it since the first episode is often catch-up on what has happened since the last season and getting everyone in place for the new season and can be less than interesting on its own. Then, like you said, you've got something to look forward to.

Double feature season openers aren't new. Stargate did them all the time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Reboot it into a movie trilogy each movie is 3 books

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tighclops posted:

I'm kind of glad there's an end in sight and I don't really want The Expanse to become a big huge franchise with spinoffs and poo poo either so this is fine

I wanted them to do the full book series, which has 1 book left and it's very very soon (they don't normally have delays so this isn't Game of Thrones "soon" is 10 years, Expanse has been pretty good about 1 book a year)

With the time jump I don't and plan on tie up this story if there's more in The Expanse Universe I don't see how anyone we know is involved they'd be aged to their grave with another one. I'd be up for a spin off book series following an entirely new group 60 years later.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Without saying any spoilers I'm guessing they're stopping after season six because amazon wouldn't give them the necessary budget to do books 7-9. It would cost about what it would cost to do like...the while harry potter film series.

There's some cool stuff from the earlier books I have a feeling were omitted because they weren't important and would have been expensive to film. Several of the animals on the planet last season but I remember a few other things in earlier seasons when I did a read and watch a few years ago.

They could always do it in a budget cheap way but it really would feel out of place with how much love and care the rest has gotten it should be a second series so the quality difference isn't as jarring. I'll watch scifi if the plot is interesting where it's clearly some guys in cardboard and I need to pretend it's a space suit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Super late on responding to this but I've read all the books and novellas and nothing Amos does is as cool as the Adama maneuver.

I'm still very excited for Amos's Baltimore adventure.

Also with regards to your more recent post, no need to go the comic route, since there's, you know, the books.

You take that back, him saying you're not that guy to Prax is one of the best things ever put on film.