Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Man, I am about halfway through and the AVASARALA ELECTION DRAMA and BOBBIE FUCKIN' AROUND sideplots are just boring as gently caress.

Also, the editing in this season is (occasionallyh) really bad. All the cuts have just a few too many frames on the lead-in, so everyone just has that short beat before they speak and it makes it really stilted and weird. Not in every scene, but pretty frequently.

Burn Gorman is basically carrying this season on his shoulders so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh here we go again. "I haven't read the books but I'm especially curious about a certain fact!"

Yeah, gently caress that bullshit.

And yes, this book was weak af, so it's impressive they made it into something as good as it was.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

OldMold posted:

Binged the whole S4; havent read the books. Thoughts on entire S4:

How did that piece of tin roof propped against the spire hold back flood waters?

RE: thin piece of tin, holding back water and the related pressure is a function of depth, not volume. Little kids can build a sand berm that can hold back the ocean at a foot or two of depth.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Johnny Truant posted:

^^^^ yeah, play the victim of these mean forums. go eat poo poo you dumpsterfire gently caress.

I am really enjoying your little ragebursts with your angry shaking turtle avatar, btw.

Your profane fury doesn’t really add to the discussion at all. Take a lesson from the post you praised.

Skepticism is good. Understanding that skepticism can be a barrier to the truth in these situations is also good. Finding the right balance is not automatic.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, if there were an award for "most polished turd", it would be Season 4. Just not a very good book, and somehow the show feels even more like someone just rolling the dice and coming up with things like UHHHHH... NEUROTOXIN WORMS!!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, there's just way too much belter this season. The accent is just intolerable. Everyone sounds like they're trying to do british baby-talk right after having major dental surgery. It grates, and it's preferable to just mute and read subtitles for about 80% of these episodes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

TraderStav posted:

On the other hand, I really like Belter creole and it’s associated English accent.

I’m still rewatching Season 4 and I think what’s missing is that they’re locked into one planet and its orbit. I love the Expanse more when they’re gallivanting around the solar system doing l337 trick shots to take out UN ships and being ambushed by random Martian patrols.

Season 5 is still great, shame only a couple more episodes left!

Deeffawan’ stwokes.

And yeah it’s the opposite end of last season. I am not sure I am enjoying everyone off doing solo missions as much, but it is at least a lot of variety.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Never thought I’d see the Expanse crossover with Killing Joke, but crazed belter cultist Jaz as the antagonist would be amazing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bedshaped posted:

I was expecting this 3 episodes ago

everything feels like it's moving at a snails pace with too many spinning plates and I have no idea, chronologically in show terms, how much time is supposed to have passed since the rocks hit

This. This season is boring as hell, and I love this show. I am watching it at 1.25x even, and it STILL just absolutely drags.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jakabite posted:

:psypop: why do you watch tv??

This has been a heavy character development season, and that's fine. I agree the devastation of Earth could've been shown a little more, even if it was through an extra couple of lines about billions of projected deaths rather than millions.

Sunk costs at this point. I mean I love slow movies and methodical television, but this season has been scene after scene, and way too many of them are just filler and/or flat-out boring.

No one seems to be in any danger, none of the stakes seem to matter very much. Last season suffered from this a little bit, even during the awful poo poo happening on Ilus, it just didn't resonate well. I seriously think it's a fault in the scripting/editing/direction.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Zzulu posted:

In a season where every character has been in multiple life and death situations and earth has been blown up with a colossal war raging between belters and everyone else, this is a very strange thing to say

That’s why it fails. LIFE AND DEATH situations with this much plot armor are boring. There are other possible stakes that can create just as much drama. At no point this season, despite the crazy circumstances, has the show ever managed to generate any actual “how will they get out of this one?!?” type suspense.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Barreft posted:

I really miss the alien stuff.

Might be some of this. The conflicts in this season are the most common and boring variety possible.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The only way I know of Winnipesaukee is through What About Bob.

Bill Murray as Bob randomly and compulsively popping up during the episode would've saved it for me, can't lie.

Baby steps to the escape shuttle.

Glad I am not alone on this one.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Imagine getting outwitted by Amos that loving hard. I died.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Did Cas Anvar do a "send all" with his pocket rocket to the whole production crew? Maybe hitting on an obviously pregnant castmate lead to an ultimatum?

I thought the issue was pretty well documented. More than a couple of women came forward with actual text transcripts and other communications that detailed some pretty shady poo poo. Some of them were a lot younger, maybe too young, I don't remember. It was a pretty big pile of bad poo poo.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Taintrunner posted:

I saw people getting them on Amazon then buying the decals separate

Or you use a transfer and then try to use a clear coat sealer and end up causing the finish of the mug to craze and freak out. Whoops.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Arc Hammer posted:

Knowing what Naomi did with the protomolecule sample in Season 2 makes her a really unlikable hypocrite. She's got the nerve to call put Holden for not telling her about the extra PM samples still out there. I know she's feeling inner guilt for being responsible for not destroying the sample but it doesn't make her any less of a jerk for taking it out on Holden.

I mean, I get it, everyone on the Roci has their hangups and their past guilt and Naomi has a lot of dark poo poo in her past. It's just hard for me to really sympathize with her when the OPA is full of bitter assholes.

Naomi is terrible. Her idealism and ethics are a fine layer of electroplate.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Arc Hammer posted:

"I feel bad about getting your husband killed. Now let me get the gently caress on your ship and let me fix it for you so I can deal with my own guilty conscience whether you like it or not."

The difference between Naomi and the others is that they're not bringing their past hangups with them. They're dealing with their current hangups but she cannot leg go of her OPA roots and they poison everything she does and she rips on everyone else when they question her.

Yes. It absolutely sabotages her at every turn and causes her to be sympathetic to people she shouldn’t and continuously make bad decisions.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
We’ll bang, ok?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Selling movie rights is great, because it’s usually a time period. Then if they don’t make it the rights revert and you can sell it again. You can make good money selling rights that never actually reach production.
Paying you $250k for rights for 2 years is nothing to a studio but not too shabby of a paycheck for work you already did.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Honestly, they should have just skipped the entire asteroid/Inaros books entirely. Pretend they don't even exist. Skip Cibola Burn, too.

Finish season 3, gates work, all's well, hooray. Maybe do half a season to go over the Mars breakdown and Free Navy formation that doesn't involve Inaros and then just pick up with Persepolis Rising, finish the whole thing out. Six books, six seasons, done.

Edit: modified to remove light book spoilers that weren’t even important to the point.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 12, 2021

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Grand Fromage posted:

Finally found the worst Expanse take.

It was a long road, getting from there to here.

Inaros was a terrible boring character on the page and he was not improved on screen.
Even the attempt to force it via his connection with Naomi falls flat.
Compared to the other major human villain of the (TV)series, he’s a paper cutout with no meaningful motivations or character traits besides lust for power. Sure yeah these people exist in reality, but it’s not compelling fiction.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm not quoting your other post, because I have a sneaky feeling it might be full of book spoilers in this, the TV thread.

Not terrible stuff, even if I post what is technically a book spoiler, I will try to keep it something relatively vague and not necessarily a major plot point. Probably should avoid it altogether though, I’ve griped at people and I don’t wanna be a hypocrite.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cannon_Fodder posted:

How the gently caress is Filip off causing this poor bartender so much trouble?

Before his father recruited him, he was a Gamer.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
That Laconia set looked cheap as hell. I don’t care if it was the most sensible option, it was embarrassing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hakkesshu posted:

He's the worst thing that ever happened to this show

Also the books

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah if you go back and watch Season 1, the vibe is extreeeemely different. Miller is just way more watchable and interesting than almost everyone else in the cast.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Alchenar posted:

Yeah that means at this point all the production will have been spun down, sets and costumes gone, crews dispersed, actors all long free to commit to something else. Even if Bezos signs a personal cheque now it'll be a huge challenge.

This already happened once.

I am kinda ready for it to be over, but…

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
[ vuvuzela honks ]

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bip Roberts posted:

He's willing to shoot a rail gun at him, he's willing to shoot a torpedo, but then he stealthy disables it so she thinks he only wanted to kill them. It's dumb and out of character and obviously just written to prolong the plot.

Yeah but Felip hadn’t done his little peekaboo

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mameluke posted:

Lol at the long scene of Camina kicking Michio off her ship last week only for them to spend all episode in the same room this week

This is the kind of poo poo that makes you insane. You have NO TIME TO WASTE but we’ve had weepy Michio for like 20 minutes so far this season.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Iirc the books suffered from the same.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Havelock got impaled by rebar

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

kazmeyer posted:

I just have to say if you don't follow Keon Alexander on Twitter you really ought to. He's spent the past few weeks flirting (in character) with the actresses who play his opponents on the show, taunting Holden by putting him in fake ads (Holden looking grim during the space battle - Imodium, "Where Will You Be When the Diarrhea Comes Back") and he sent Ty a humongous rock for Christmas.

I deeply appreciate this and wish he had better material on the show.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Lol that is clearly a goof. No one would ever hitch their wagon to the shambling nightmare that is Star Citizen.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
We were robbed of a Magnetar loving poo poo up. Chekov's weird alien space-gun indeed.

I felt really bad for Naomi despite being desperately sick of that family drama and Marco/Filip. Dunno if I'd have trusted her to push that button.

Glad Holden continued to Holden.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Also weird that they spent all the time around Clarissa's deteriorating health for basically no reason.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sash! posted:

Only thing missing is no "Vanderhuge, B" on the assault team roster

Also Samson, B. But that might make the whole thing too easy.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wes Chatham is also a big part of one of the Stallone movie ESCAPE PLAN 2 that was heavily bankrolled and modified to appeal to Chinese/foreign audiences and it’s terrible and great and you should watch it.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Not his fault the character sucked to watch and was somehow boring. The book version was the same.