Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

hapy barsbay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

CobiWann posted:

Sigh...between COVID, the sexual assault/pestering throughout wrestling, the whole SA forums drama, the creator/writer of some of my favorite games being accused of sexual assault, JK Rowling being JK Rowling, and now the company that creates Dungeons & Dragons being outed as a horrible place to work, I'm legit starting to feel crushed inside. All the hobbies I love are turning out to hold something horrible under the surface, and all the creators whose works I enjoy are revealing themselves as spiteful people. I tried to watch The Usual Suspects the other day and had to turn it off 15 minutes through, and it's one of my favorite movies that influenced my love of cinema and creative style.

I'm running out of things to enjoy, and as petty as it sounds it's really weighing on my soul.

I swear, if anything truly horrible ever comes out about Doctor Who I'm going to quit. Just quit. Like, finding out David Tennant kicks puppies or Patrick Troughton wasn't a family man!

Same, it's been a pretty soul crushing time since June.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Sigh...between COVID, the sexual assault/pestering throughout wrestling, the whole SA forums drama, the creator/writer of some of my favorite games being accused of sexual assault, JK Rowling being JK Rowling, and now the company that creates Dungeons & Dragons being outed as a horrible place to work, I'm legit starting to feel crushed inside. All the hobbies I love are turning out to hold something horrible under the surface, and all the creators whose works I enjoy are revealing themselves as spiteful people. I tried to watch The Usual Suspects the other day and had to turn it off 15 minutes through, and it's one of my favorite movies that influenced my love of cinema and creative style.

I'm running out of things to enjoy, and as petty as it sounds it's really weighing on my soul.

I swear, if anything truly horrible ever comes out about Doctor Who I'm going to quit. Just quit. Like, finding out David Tennant kicks puppies or Patrick Troughton wasn't a family man!

Yeah, I get it, between COVID making sports obviously a really loving terrible idea and seeing what DeSean Jackson posted on Instagram and realizing how much he's supported in that view has kinda turned me off from basketball and football outside of being grimly wondering wtf is going to happen.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I discontinued all of my wrestling-related subs after the whole Speaking Out thing. I'm not sure if I'll ever watch again.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I wish I could say any of this surprised me but I lost all faith in humanity, particularly all faith in any human in any kind of position in authority, years ago.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I know we have a lot of Yakuza fans here so I've got a question. I'm about to finish Yakuza 2, do I play the remasters next or just skip to 6?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

I know we have a lot of Yakuza fans here so I've got a question. I'm about to finish Yakuza 2, do I play the remasters next or just skip to 6?

Wait...what? Are you for some reason playing the original Yakuza 2 instead of the remaster? Cuz Kiwami 1/2 are the resmasters of Yakuza 1/2.

But if you're actually finishing Kiwami 2 after having played Kiwami 1 (and have also played Yakuza 0, if not, go play that), you either prepare for a weird time and go play the original Yakuza 3, or you switch to a different game series until they release Kiwami 3 some day in the distant future.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Brut posted:

Wait...what? Are you for some reason playing the original Yakuza 2 instead of the remaster? Cuz Kiwami 1/2 are the resmasters of Yakuza 1/2.

But if you're actually finishing Kiwami 2 after having played Kiwami 1 (and have also played Yakuza 0, if not, go play that), you either prepare for a weird time and go play the original Yakuza 3, or you switch to a different game series until they release Kiwami 3 some day in the distant future.

Sorry, I meant I was finishing Kiwami 2 after playing 1 and 0. I'm trying to figure out if I pick up the PS4 remastered collection for 3, 4, and 5 or if I just skip to 6. I wasn't sure how the remaster quality was.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oh yeah just get the collection, I think skipping would be real weird, but it's up to you I guess. Probably depends on how much you've been paying attention to the story and how much you care about being aware of all the content.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

3 4 and 5 are just up-ressed ports, they were already ps3 games so not like much needed to be done. the QoL stuff drops substantially though from the 6 engine to the 3/4/5 engine. i would recommend um..not skipping. hbd nien noob

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

3 4 and 5 are just up-ressed ports, they were already ps3 games so not like much needed to be done. the QoL stuff drops substantially though from the 6 engine to the 3/4/5 engine. i would recommend um..not skipping. hbd nien noob

Cool. That was pretty much my question. Sometimes the ports somehow make the game worse or in long series some of the games can just be a total clunker. Well, Yakuza 3 here I come.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yeah, it's definitely jarring going from kiwami 2 to just regular 3, the engine is "worse" than 0/kiwami 1. i guess archaic is a better word. i mean, they're ps3 games. still very worth it

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I also am having trouble enjoying basic poo poo.

I’ve been good about compartmentalizing stuff in the past but it’s particularly hard right now. The most I can handle is podcasts while I project most of the time. If it comes out Paul F Tompkins has done any of that awful poo poo, I’m going to have to delete half my brain.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Definitely play the remasters, 5 in particular is fantastic and 6 is fine but not as good

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Hmmm might go back to playing yakuza...

Thank you everyone <3

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I don't think it's petty at all. We're all trying to cope with quarantine in various ways and self care is important.

There are certain things I'm finding very hard to enjoy (wrestling is at the top of this list) but I think it's acceptable to draw a line somewhere, and enjoy some of the things you used to like even if the creators turned out to be lovely. I don't play D&D but surely it's possible to have a game of that without really thinking about or even supporting it's creators? Video games are kinda like that for me.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Every time Yakuza comes up in conversation I get mad all over again that the remasters and 6 aren't on the goddamn PC yet.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The two things I try not to do is consume media in a way that means I'm giving money to a predator or a lovely person who'll use that money to do those awful things and consume media that is pushing awful ideas. I also try to recognize that I'm going to be arbitrary about these rules and who does and doesn't cross the line for me because you kind of have to be. It gets thrown around as an excuse to go hog wild but you really can't be a perfect consumer. You just have to find a balance that you can live with and do what you can to make the world a better place.

But if I like something, enjoying it won't materially support an awful person, and I don't get big skeeve vibes from it now that I know the creator is a poo poo then I feel totally fine to enjoy it. I guess the big deciding factor is active harm? Even then its arbitrary because if we dig into that there is lots of small stuff I buy everyday that probably ends up causing some sort of harm in the world. poo poo's hard.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Had some self harm thoughts the other day. Just thought about how nice it would be not to worry about anything any more. Got through it though.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Been in a big depression lately. Hating my job with a passion the last couple of months but I know how drat lucky I am to even still have a job to hate. Ugh. Just a bad change in climate at this place. We used to be a 12-person shop where my desk was 20 ft. from the COO's door who was my direct boss. Now I report to a guy who reports to a guy who reports to my old boss and the former COO is now our "Chief Evangelist" who's maybe in town two days a month... Not that were in the office anymore, but still. Also doubleplus ungood business jargon replacing actual English at a rapid pace. Sprints and meetings about cards and blockers and... I think I'm just too drat old for IT anymore :(

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Happy birthday Mr. Evans, your laugh is a baum that soothes my soul.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

the animatrons at those places are fascinating, I’m a bit jelly you’re over there enjoying them when I only ever got to go to Chuck E Cheese’s once as a kid and now I’m old :negative:

j/k I know the picture is an internet artifact, but I do want to wish you well on/around your birthday. also animatronic figures are legit neat; I fell down a Rock-afire Explosion hole on youtube recently and there’s a lot that goes into making them act as lifelike as they do

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I miss the McDonalds mascots, why can't Grimace and Hamburglar come back :(

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

I miss the McDonalds mascots, why can't Grimace and Hamburglar come back :(

they tried to bring back the Hamburglar and make him sexy but people were NOT having it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did grimace have a voice and personality like "DUUHhhHHHhhhhhhHHHHHr" or did i make that up back when i was an rear end in a top hat little kid? if he really was like that then he will never come back because it's offensive. if i made that then I'm sorry. children from the 1990s weren't any good for the most part and while i should have risen above 'my time' i unfortunately needed to make my way to a position where i could be shown a better way to be. I'm reminded of the famous Paarthurnax quote

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 9, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
This is why I long ago learned the lesson of separating works from the people who made them, that way it's usually still easy to enjoy even after they've been outed as horrible

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The only people you can trust on the internet are the brothers who made Homestar Runner

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

You can bring the Grimace back and not do the bad voice. Make him a zoomer, make him do a tiktok dance, make the chicken woman a vsco girl.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

This is why I long ago learned the lesson of separating works from the people who made them, that way it's usually still easy to enjoy even after they've been outed as horrible

"Separating art from the artist" simply doesn't work with people like Joey Ryan and Michael Jackson (who were creepy as gently caress on-camera/on-stage And off-) or with shows like Terrace House (Hana Kimura would still be alive today if their creators weren't intentionally ratings- and controversy-obsessed)

Like what you like if you absolutely must, but it's baffling to see that continue to be defended in that way, like those situations where poo poo Can't (not just Shouldn't Be) separated aren't increasingly common

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

NienNunb posted:

You can bring the Grimace back and not do the bad voice. Make him a zoomer, make him do a tiktok dance, make the chicken woman a vsco girl.

I suggest that in cases like this (Grimace, also Big the Cat) we give the role to Dweezil Zappa and tell him to just do some more like Ajax from Duckman

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Everything else from the 90s is getting revived these days, bring back Duckman

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

DND is the most easily uhh "accessible" games to find online, so there's no reason to stop playing a cool game you love.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

The happiest day of Donald’s life

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

grimace is returning with this voice (do not skip)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6qlCYsmgdI

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Kvantum posted:

Been in a big depression lately. Hating my job with a passion the last couple of months but I know how drat lucky I am to even still have a job to hate. Ugh. Just a bad change in climate at this place. We used to be a 12-person shop where my desk was 20 ft. from the COO's door who was my direct boss. Now I report to a guy who reports to a guy who reports to my old boss and the former COO is now our "Chief Evangelist" who's maybe in town two days a month... Not that were in the office anymore, but still. Also doubleplus ungood business jargon replacing actual English at a rapid pace. Sprints and meetings about cards and blockers and... I think I'm just too drat old for IT anymore :(

Do you work in an "agile" shop?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i've come back from my vacation in order to wish the original Grimace, NienNunb, a happy birthday.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Chris James 2 posted:

"Separating art from the artist" simply doesn't work with people like Joey Ryan and Michael Jackson (who were creepy as gently caress on-camera/on-stage And off-) or with shows like Terrace House (Hana Kimura would still be alive today if their creators weren't intentionally ratings- and controversy-obsessed)

Like what you like if you absolutely must, but it's baffling to see that continue to be defended in that way, like those situations where poo poo Can't (not just Shouldn't Be) separated aren't increasingly common

As was pointed out to me this week, it's easy to separate the art from the artist when you're not one of the people they're hurting/dehumanizing.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Seth Rollins posted:

i've come back from my vacation in order to wish the original Grimace, NienNunb, a happy birthday.

<3<3<3 thanks dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

NienNunb posted:

DND is the most easily uhh "accessible" games to find online, so there's no reason to stop playing a cool game you love.
Also WOTC did like 500 million yty recently, they can take the hit to their bottom line for running a poo poo show for twenty years.

And there's no reason for it. They're well connected online with tons of people chomping at the bit to work for them. They can replace every shitter in the company in every department in a month. Instead they've been doing the opposite.