Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Drew McIntyre posted:

i'll just say this. if you to go AGDQ and say you're "speedrunning" "The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth," but you're actually running a version that mods the game to give you two active item slots, the D6, and a game carrying item right from the start, and instead of instantly dying, you get a 45 second timeout, you aren't actually speedrunning The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. and i will complain about this until i am banned from Twitch chat

Somehow this is more depressing than actual nazis. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lost Levels were great and I'm convinced children in the west that enjoyed SMB1 would have also enjoyed SMB2, drat the corporate overlords.

Brut fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 3, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

Stop listening to radio

I saved $10 3 years ago by buying the waterproof radio without bluetooth instead of the one with, as a result I am forced to listen to the radio every day.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Like, Ubisoft actually issued an official apology it was so loving stupid.

Wait really? lmao, can't they issue a patch instead?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Okay I can sort of see how they need you to have a child as the canon ending or whatever because the whole point of the animus in those game is that you're viewing the memories of distant ancestors, and that doesn't work if the bloodline ended. But there's probably a ton of ways to do it up to and including "it's just loving magic" without forcing you to marry some rando and gently caress with your game experience that much.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Cavauro posted:

that's a very weird thing to do. all of it. does Ubisoft still always starts their AC games with that smug message about how everyone on the dev team is super diverse. I just remembered that so that's why I am asking. thank you

Yeah I think that text is still there, I never really looked at it as smug, more like "hey we're trying our best please don't send us too much hatemail".

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

e: wrong thread

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Artelier posted:

I peeked into the fitness forums and couldn't find a boxing/martial arts thread, so I thought I'd just ask here: are there any issues to using Muay Thai gloves as boxing gloves?

Just joined a martial arts gym (boxing for me, though there's muay thai, bjj, and taekwondo too). Been borrowing gloves for a week but would much rather have my own! Found some Venum Challengers nearby that doesn't break the bank for me. If there is a thread and I missed it, please link me, thank you!

Hey friend I'm sorry you were misled by the title, this is the thread for talking about random irl stuff or video games or really anything, you're probably looking for the stickied combat sports general Q&A thread

I thought modern Muay Thai just used regular boxing gloves but I don't really know

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

There's not an exact moment for me as I just never believed the stories to begin with, but I remember the first time I was ready admit it. I distinctly remember a conversation with some friends when I was 9 where the subject came up and there was almost a harmonic gasp among my group of friends as I said that our bible is bullshit, it seemed weird to them to doubt what we learned in bible class but to just accept as truth what the learned in other classes. "But aren't you Jewish?" they said, and when I asked them what they think that means they didn't really know what to say and we went to play soccer.

At worst, religions only exist to keep certain people in power.
At best, religions only exist because humans are loving poo poo by default and if you don't threaten them with the wrath of god they won't behave well.

I don't know how you can look at this world and think that people are good or that there's a god watching over people, it doesn't even make a little bit of sense to me.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

They had it all and Carmack pissed it away before going off to build rockets and ... Oculus rift or something?

There's like 20+ years between Doom and Oculus, id soft still exists and still makes good games, and Carmack is megarich and works for Facebook. Doesn't sound like anyone pissed anything away but I don't really know much about Carmack's family life or other stuff that may have suffered.

Spiderdrake posted:

So the best games Id ever made under him are Doom and Quake, right? With Doom being the best?

Also Quake3/Arena was both a better and more important game than anything that's ever come out named Doom. :colbert:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Big Huski Boi posted:

gently caress Gabe. Dude decides to release the new Half-Life three days after Animal Crossing. I'm not made of time, guy.

I know it's been a while since one came so I'd like to remind you that Half-Life games are like 15ish hours long and not 40+ or whatever like Ubisoft games or something, and this one is a VR game so it's likely to be even shorter.

Also didn't Animal Crossing change it's release date at least once?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/1239383795205169152

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Feel free to lose a lot in games you're still playing games it's fine.

Feel free to cheat in games you're still playing games it's fine. (except multiplayer games...sometimes)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

cheating in multiplayer games rules

go on

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Cavauro posted:

in dark souls a lot of people cheat to force hacked stuff into other players' inventories, getting the other players banned from online play. this is similar to the USA

in red dead online everyone on the server gets teleported to 1 spot then an explosion happens which causes 1 or several of those players count as if they attacked everyone, and everyone dies, this just repeats until you change servers (basically go out to menu and click play again) or the dude gets bored. I've also seen people run around entirely invincible and just creating repeated explosions in front of them.

Brut fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 25, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Home made ice cream has ruined store bought ice cream for me. If you get it right it's so good!

Can I do that without buying a bunch of specialized equipment?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lamuella posted:

we do have an ice cream maker, but it's a cheapie (£15 on Amazon), but once you have that and a decent recipe it's really straightforward. There are non-maker recipes but they don't turn out quite as good in my opinion.

Oh I haven't seen anything that cheap, you got a link?

I wanna make some weird ice cream with stuff in it like Ben & Jerry's style.

Brut fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 31, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

bradzilla posted:

Western developers Nintendo and Squaresoft

I think they're saying those are the only good JRPGs, and uh...it's probably correct.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Yup definitely thought you posted poop, thanks for the laugh.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

TTBF posted:

Watch Akagi.

Seconding this, one of my favorites.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Sparkling water can be ok if you know in advance you're drinking it, I ordered water at a McDonalds in Germany when I was like 8 and was surprised when I took a sip of what they gave me.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I played all 3 Mass Effect around the time of their release and I don't really understand all the story poo poo people are upset about, the main party/save the world/whatever story always seemed generic and I don't really care how they end it, the cool story parts of those games to me was the Krogan genetic poo poo/war poo poo, the Quarians, the citadel politics poo poo...maybe the Elcor to some extent.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I like a nice pan fried king oyster mushroom, but my favorite has to be cubensis.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I consumed the last of my weed this morning, it feels like the worst time ever to sober up but here I am.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

There's already too god damned many Easter eggs in animal crossing

lmao

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I tried playing the PC version of I think FF7 a long time ago and I remember getting to some kind of building where I had the choice of going up the elevator or taking the stairs, and both options consistently resulted in the game crashing, so I could never get further.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So even though people poo poo on No Man's Sky (and rightfully so when it was originally released), I've been dealing with some family health issues recently (not coronavirus related thankfully (pre-emptive knock on wood here)), and I have to say that the chill "explore, get resources, build stuff" vibe of the game has been super helpful in allowing me a bit of distraction for a few hours here and there. I started exploring a planet that is basically a lush temperate world that looks like a picturesque African plains area (only with actual oceans and lakes around it). I plan on staying there for a good while considering how I started out on "acid rain world" in the same system, and the only other world was "dead airless planet" which has lots of mineral resources but is also kinda depressing to explore (so I don't stay on there for any longer than I need to).

No Man's sky has been steadily improving for years but I heard something recently that they put in a patch that changed everyone's existing planets, so like everyone who found and made bases on what they thought was cool looking planets, now they're all boring.

I haven't heard anything about it since then if they reverted it or something but seeing them still piss people off with that game years in just seems real sad.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

I don’t think Akagi is for me couple of episodes in, unfortunately. It seems goofily earnest in a specific kind of way that doesn’t work for me and I still have absolutely zero idea of what the point of mahjong is :shrug:

Hmmm if you want a completely different style of show that might also help you wrap your head around Mahjong, there's a show called Saki, but I remember it being a little bit more loose with the actual rules of the game.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

coconono posted:

I don't even use LinkedIn

lmao.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

(8 days ago)

Brut posted:

I consumed the last of my weed this morning, it feels like the worst time ever to sober up but here I am.

First couple days sucked but it turns out I've really missed actually dreaming at night.

My appetite has mostly normalized and I'm consuming like 1-1.5k calories a day instead of consuming like 3-4k in huge binges.

My temper is super short as it has been all my life but I knew that was gonna come back.

Probably the saddest side effect is that I have absolutely 0 urge to play Animal Crossing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

NienNunb posted:

The game lets you walk around town and say howdy to everyone you meet it's the only game I'll ever need.

Say what you will about the folks in this thread, they're friendly.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

The above post is obviously the most obvious of obvious jokes but given the recent global sticky you may want to edit it...just in case, I don't know.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CobiWann posted:

So...how's everyone holding up?

Just a general mental health check across the board.

Conflicted, I'm being proven right at every turn, but I didn't really wanna be right, I just wanted to know what happens. Now that I know, I wanna get out of here but the borders are closed.

At least I've somehow used this as an excuse to sober up, and I'm down like 10 pounds and have established a rhythm for IF.

Actually now that I think about it I'm doing better than I have in years, other than now not having any kind of pain relief for the occasional pain due to having wisdom teeth that need to come out.

But my reasons for doing well are really obviously due to survival instincts kicking in, which is terrifying.

Thanks for asking.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I dreamed about going to the moon in a Space-X rocket with a bunch of people and we made a water landing in Florida and I swam to the surface but instead of going where I was supposed to go I just wandered the streets and somehow the 1 shop that Elon Musk is trying to buy next to their facility that won't sell was there so I went inside and talked to the old man who owns it until he went to sleep then I spent the night walking around decently busy streets until the sun was coming up and I went in to a church inside which it was the 80s, and when I went out the back door I ended up in an alley where some dude was playing with a basketball but also shooting a pistol, I wanted to chat so I offered him a smoke and he put the gun away and refused the smoke but then came close to me and pulled out a knife and then I woke up.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

So we're fight island now

Finally the MMA side of this subforum getting some global recognition!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

NienNunb posted:

I'm not done mourning the death of Rowdy Roderick Tooms, pleas change the name back to Rowdy Ringsports

I don't understand your joke but even if I did, you're wrong.

FIGHT ISLAND IS REAL.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Look I did that after posting but I'm not gonna just lie to you all and pretend like I understood it previously.

I didn't know you can make that website use Bing instead, that's pretty funny.

FIGHT ISLAND IS REAL.

I basically decided to almost never participate in society years ago, so this quarantine has changed next to nothing about how I live my life, other than weird things being missing from grocery stores, like the ice cream I like.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I've never once seen anything with him where he seems anything other than happy though and he seems like a respectful nice dude - I saw these three videos before I had even heard a song from him and became a fan of Post Malone the person beyond whatever music he makes

He's like a big kid that wants to have a good time and I think his physical look gives people the wrong impression because people are always saying he looks dirty, looks like a creep etc but hey, people are judgmental it's what they do

Edit: If you're talking about his music sounding miserable I've only heard a few songs like Better Now, Rockstar, Congratulations so I must have missed the miserable stuff. I guess his entire style is chill enough that I could see that.

What I know is that for a year or two he was making the rounds doing interviews on all the hip hop radio stations along with his girlfriend saying poo poo like nah I don't need other girls and she's the one and this and that and every single radio host was giving him poo poo about it saying sooner or later he'll cheat on her or something, and of course eventually he did.

Then there was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDACGORbhEo

And quotes like "If you’re looking for lyrics, if you’re looking to cry, if you’re looking to think about life, don’t listen to hip-hop" and "I'm not a rapper, I'm an artist/musician".

All of this predates most of his dumb tattoos that I don't think anyone actually give a poo poo about without the other stuff.

Aside from my general dislike of the heavy autotune thing, some of his music is actually decent, it's just a shame that if you look a little beyond the surface he's actually a shitbag.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

You could get in to FF14, that game might have problems but "too short" is not one of them.

RDR2 is very good and quite long, and even when you're done with it RDO can be pretty fun, especially the console versions that don't have cheaters like the PC version does.

God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn are both good though I wouldn't say there's a variety of things to do, you're mostly fighting stuff.

Bloodborne is good but probably pretty far from what you're specifically looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

HZD has much better combat and imo exploration than RDR2 but there’s no crafting or fishing or whatever. The missions and writing are all generally pretty good though.

I’m torn between getting Link’s Awakening or FFVII: R. Either looks good but I don’t know what I’m in the mood for. I want a big long stupid captivating adventure.

Is FFVII:R button mashy? I want to give my hands a break.

There's crafting in HZD but it's almost a combat mechanic.

FF7R lets you button mash but you don't really have to, and there's a lower difficulty setting (oddly named "Classic") that lets you mash even less than normal.