Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How do you know if something is specifically a boon? is anything with a rarity considered a boon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

ilmucche posted:

Ah yeah. I've been ignoring it to try and finish the rest of the weapons. What are good weapon upgrades?

You can get some bonuses for unlocking and winning a run with the 4th aspects of weapons after unlocking them.

Aspects that I like:

Sword: Nemesis gives you up to a 30% bonus to crit chance on your attack after using your special. It's only for 3 seconds, but in the middle of combat you'll be putting in a lot of swings anyway so the damage really adds up. Plus you can special and even on a miss you proc the bonus.

Excalibur takes some getting used to but it's quite powerful as well with its range and damage. You have to be more mindful of your attacks since they are slower.

Spear: Hades gives you up to a 150% bonus damage for a fat 10 seconds after hitting with a spin attack. Plus your spin is a bit larger. It doesn't even need to be a full spin to mark the enemy. Plus the bonus applies to more spins.

Shield: Chaos hands down is the best. It's weak initially but 5 extra shields thrown mean a lot of damage and plus if you have any affects on your special they will proc as well. You can frost/doom/jolt/weak/etc. whole groups of enemies by doing a short rush and using the special. Keep in mind that the special is stored so you can reposition and then let loose with 5 shields after moving.

Bow: I haven't invested too much into bow just yet but apparently Chiron is pretty good once maxed out since you can hit an enemy and then kite them with special.

Rail: Eris is my favorite but Lucifer is quite good as well. Eris gives you bonus damage after you hit yourself with your special, so having rockets really helps since you can get up close and just blast an enemy and then have extra damage for 8 seconds. Otherwise getting any of the multi-bomb special upgrades helps with that damage. Lucifer allows you to place bombs that act as damage zones for enemies and then you can shoot the bombs to explode for more damage.

Fists: I haven't played with Talos or Dementer but the Zag aspect is good since dodge will save you on a lot of damage in the long run.

ilmucche posted:

How do you know if something is specifically a boon? is anything with a rarity considered a boon?

Boons are the power ups you get from gods specifically. Note about rarity: Heroic is only available by: Exchange (Only applies to Attack, Special, Cast, Dash and Call boons), Eurydice Ambrosia or Demeter's Rare Crop boon.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 16, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cool, thanks for the advice. I've been super hesitant to spend the blood because I've struggled to get any. I really like the fists and spear so I might have a go with those, though I don't think I've ever used a spin attack in game.

I'd be helpful if boons were marked on the select menu as I don't think all of my upgrades are boons. When I get to eurydice for example I don't know which is my best option.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Ah yeah. I've been ignoring it to try and finish the rest of the weapons. What are good weapon upgrades?

It varies depending on what the bonus is and how much it scales. Like the base gun only gets(+4 / +6 / +8 / +10 / +12) per point, a diminishing effectiveness for each point. The first is +33% ammo, the final is +9%. But at least it's 1 blood per. The 2nd aspect scales (+12% / +24% / +36% / +48% / +60%) but costs 1/2/3/4/5. That last point is only +8.1% damage for 5 blood.

Aspect of luci (50 / 63 / 75 / 88 / 100), so an extra 12 blood to double the base effect of the special. not worth imo.

ilmucche posted:

Cool, thanks for the advice. I've been super hesitant to spend the blood because I've struggled to get any. I really like the fists and spear so I might have a go with those, though I don't think I've ever used a spin attack in game.

I'd be helpful if boons were marked on the select menu as I don't think all of my upgrades are boons. When I get to eurydice for example I don't know which is my best option.

With her, you can take the first 2 options, see how it goes, and quit out to reset the room usually. But i prefer the third option because then when you are picking your boon you can take the scaling bonus you get into account.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
if you can clear the game without any pact active, you should be able to get some more blood pretty quickly, so i wouldnt worry too much about spending it on upgrades, especially if they'll help you get more clears. you get 2 titan blood for every time you clear on a new heat level with a new weapon, and at a minimum its pretty easy to just get the one from the first boss on a new heat level.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ilmucche posted:

Spend like 5 blood on each weapon (so unlock the second and third forms and upgrade the first one once) so that you gain the ability to unlock the 4th forms, which are more different and interesting than the first three.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Sindai posted:

Spend like 5 blood on each weapon (so unlock the second and third forms and upgrade the first one once) so that you gain the ability to unlock the 4th forms, which are more different and interesting than the first three.
There’s nothing to be different from if you only upgrade the legendary. Hestia is more distinct from Zagreus rail than Lucifer aspect is, Zeus shield gives me really good feelings of flow when I’m using it well, going fast with the sword feels good and setting up Nemesis swings feels gimmicky.

I will say every Zagreus aspect is decent and they’re so cheap to upgrade. Hades spear and chaos shield are “good investments” in that they’re better than the legendary versions of those weapons for now. Zagreus fists are the feistiest fists if you’re a fan of fisticuffs.

There’s a minor plot point that requires you to fully upgrade Zagreus aspect of Stygian blade (and again, going fast is fun).

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

ilmucche posted:

You've got good answers so far, but just to add on... This is a hard question to answer because it will vary highly based on how you like to play and your favorite weapons. In general, I recommend spending your early blood on aspects that don't need to be fully leveled up to whip rear end. For example, Hera bow hits mega-hard right out the box with no blood beyond the unlock. Poseidon sword is also very strong immediately if you enjoy cast builds.

When you're ready to start really investing your blood, I would recommend trying things out before committing to an upgrade. You can game the save system so that you can start a run and see how they feel then reverse the purchase if you don't like it. Personally, I love love love the Hestia rail, but it really needs to be fully upgraded to be worth it and not everyone enjoys playing in sniper-mode. It's best to try something like that out before losing 16 blood to it.

To test an aspect, just unlock and try it out, then quit to the main menu without leaving the armory room. The game saves on transitions between rooms in the house, so on loading you'll be back in the training room with all your blood intact. Just make sure you don't leave back to the bedroom. Each run is saved as an instance, so you can even start an escape run and try it out as long as you exit using the Give Up option from the menu. If you complete a run, either by dying or winning, then you're stuck with your purchase.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That sounds perfect, I'll mess around with the weapons that way. I've tried the chaos shield and it's ok. I'm assuming the different blood unlocks stack then

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Kuros posted:

Fists: I haven't played with Talos or Dementer but the Zag aspect is good since dodge will save you on a lot of damage in the long run.

I got to heat 10 with the fists only using the Zag aspect and recently tried out the others--I absolutely should've given them a bigger shot earlier.

Talos is extremely fun in a gimmicky way. Your special becomes a massive ranged hit that rips enemies from wherever they are and drops them right in front of you. It's extremely funny and always satisfying.

Demeter, though, might be straight up the strongest Aspect in the game right now in terms of the effectiveness of a variety of builds. I started doing 32 heat runs with it and get to Theseus every time, and am 100% certain once I pass them up I'll finish the run no issue.

Having your special hit 5 extra times (or 10 as far as I can tell with flying kick) is straight up loving absurd. Zeus lightning on special or Poseidon knockback will pop functionally every enemy, and the knockback with it is the only thing I've seen that just straight up ignores the bosses resistance to CC. I'm sure it's not intended to work like that, but I was kicking the new optional boss and Asterius around the room with my special like they were weightless.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

To test an aspect, just unlock and try it out, then quit to the main menu without leaving the armory room. The game saves on transitions between rooms in the house, so on loading you'll be back in the training room with all your blood intact. Just make sure you don't leave back to the bedroom. Each run is saved as an instance, so you can even start an escape run and try it out as long as you exit using the Give Up option from the menu. If you complete a run, either by dying or winning, then you're stuck with your purchase.

This technique is abusable. If you use Zues trinket and your first boon offer is epic dash, common attack, and common special, you can switch to the god you want on dash. But you have to redo anything else you changed after you walked in from your bedroom.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ilmucche posted:

That sounds perfect, I'll mess around with the weapons that way. I've tried the chaos shield and it's ok. I'm assuming the different blood unlocks stack then

adding bloods once you unlock the weapon increases its power by a certain amount.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
When you get a double boon room, does the first god you pick give better rewards, or are you just choosing what kind of ground effects you'll have to deal with?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

When you get a double boon room, does the first god you pick give better rewards, or are you just choosing what kind of ground effects you'll have to deal with?
The first god will not give you a duo with the god in opposition. I think this is just to make it easier to control how often Duo boons appear, and it's the beneficial choice (gives you a chance to meet the prerequisites before giving your chance at a Duo boon).

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I got about 20 hours in this game, and I suck at it.

I am having a blast though, I unlocked the infernal weapons, and I am hitting a wall at the 2nd boss.

This game is super pretty, and it's got some decent story beats.

I think I might be trying to dash and damage too much without thinking about the consequences.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Sneaky Wombat posted:

I got about 20 hours in this game, and I suck at it.

I am having a blast though, I unlocked the infernal weapons, and I am hitting a wall at the 2nd boss.

This game is super pretty, and it's got some decent story beats.

I think I might be trying to dash and damage too much without thinking about the consequences.

Pay attention to enemy attacks and take your time. Also start investing your darkness if you haven't already.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Kuros posted:

Pay attention to enemy attacks and take your time. Also start investing your darkness if you haven't already.

Yeah, I have spent what I can, I got the 2 sides part, but it will take like 10 keys to unlock more talents.

Question on that, Does it have to be in the side you want for the talent to be active? or does getting both help as well?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Yeah, I have spent what I can, I got the 2 sides part, but it will take like 10 keys to unlock more talents.

Question on that, Does it have to be in the side you want for the talent to be active? or does getting both help as well?

Only the visible side

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
I finally, finally finished all of the prophecies after picking up Curse of Drowning and Cold Embrace in back-to-back runs. That sweet 12 ambrosia payout also let me max out all of the companions in one last push, so once I pet Cerberus enough times to unlock the last of his currently available hearts I'll have checked off all of the unlockables (that I know of atm) besides fully upgrading each aspect.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'm taking a break until v1.0 but what triggers the mirror's 2nd side? I've had clears with all weapons and most of the first side maxed out.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I'm taking a break until v1.0 but what triggers the mirror's 2nd side? I've had clears with all weapons and most of the first side maxed out.

A bunch of my buddies picked this up during the summer sale and--as far as I can tell--the alternate mirror options unlock immediately. There should be a square on the left side of each mirror perk that you can click to swap between the Cthonian/Stygian perks. One is purple the other is green.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Did they nerf Rama aspect on the bow? I got a build that should have been pretty strong a little while ago and it felt really anemic. Disappointing. Last time I played it was straight up murder.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Sab Sabbington posted:

A bunch of my buddies picked this up during the summer sale and--as far as I can tell--the alternate mirror options unlock immediately. There should be a square on the left side of each mirror perk that you can click to swap between the Cthonian/Stygian perks. One is purple the other is green.

:ughh:

I've got something like 30 hours in this too - a number of restarts with the major updates, but still.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Did they nerf Rama aspect on the bow? I got a build that should have been pretty strong a little while ago and it felt really anemic. Disappointing. Last time I played it was straight up murder.
They buffed the attack and nerfed the special. I haven't tried it since but after the one +special arrows hammer run I did I wasn't surprised.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

The one Rama run I've done, I got Twin Shot and Artemis on attack, which was stupid good. Zeus on special felt alright, but you can definitely beef up the main strike and chunk Dad for over 1k.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Going back to the Zeus special on Chiron Bow discussion... I just had this combo and am pretty sure it only triggered one lightning bolt per volley. It was 65 damage per bolt and I always only saw 65 pop up after every volley. It felt extremely weak. I replaced Artemis special in order to try this and that turned out to be a very poor decision. Maybe it just needs more support but by Elysium I was really lacking damage.

I did try Excalibur again taking some of this thread's advice and I think I understand it better now. Got my heat 10 sword win with it.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I got a new speed record with the sword yesterday, 16:19.36 with 0 heat IGT.

I'm wondering if sub 15 is possible. But I'm also thinking on how to stack the damage. Would I be better off starting with the Zeus or Aphrodite trinkets for early burst damage?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Codeacious posted:

Excalibur seems like something good on low heat levels, but once there's enough armor and enemy speed on the table, it'd be way too slow to keep up. I had a few rooms on low heat where I couldn't get a hit out without being interrupted if surrounded.

I'm still working through sub-10 heat bounties so it'll be a bit before I'll test that out myself.

The best Excalibur combo I’ve found is deflect on the main attack (you can kill flame wheels and deflect the explosion plus play breakout with witch bullets), and the hammer upgrade that makes your special h u g e with additional slow potency; but you’re right about the attack speed issues =\ if I don’t get a Hermès attack speed buff im as likely to wipe on Dad fight as not

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Oh and the Excalibur special let’s you stand on traps without taking damage - including all the drat lava In the extreme measures hydra fight!

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

fashionly snort posted:

Oh and the Excalibur special let’s you stand on traps without taking damage - including all the drat lava In the extreme measures hydra fight!

holy gently caress I didn't know this that changes literally everything about how I approach that boss on 32 heat runs.

Excalibur's slow attack is really, really hard to get around if you're used to having 2+ dashes, since a big part of it's dps is only repositioning if you're about to take a hit so as to not break the combo. The trick I've been giving my friends: You don't need to dash away if they're dead.

Also agreed that deflect on attack is priority #1 for that build, literally everything else is preference. Generally I don't use the special like, at all, besides getting the slow field out, so I prefer Aphrodite since Weak lasts a while and is easy to proc Privileged Status if you get Athena's boon that adds Exposed. Also highly recommend at least one Artemis boon, I prefer Cast, since that opens up the Artemis/Athena duo and gives your attacks a 1/5 chance to crit.

I crit Hades for 3,100 damage the other day and lemme tell you, his impervious portions of his first phase have never felt worse.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

New (to me) bit of flavor:

When you kill a boss (or maybe just the final boss, it was the final boss for me when it triggered) with the Winter Harvest Boon active, there's a blue reaper that spawns over the sprite, and Demeter called out "You reap what you sow..." as the final boss died (at 10% health).

:hellyeah:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Drewjitsu posted:

New (to me) bit of flavor:

When you kill a boss (or maybe just the final boss, it was the final boss for me when it triggered) with the Winter Harvest Boon active, there's a blue reaper that spawns over the sprite, and Demeter called out "You reap what you sow..." as the final boss died (at 10% health).

:hellyeah:

Yeah. It should be how you unlock the canon ending, imo. It's real good.

I'm realizing how strong the special on Luci is but I can't aim it for poo poo. Might relearn to play KB+M if this supersoaker run doesn't work out.

Supersoaker to push enemies into bombs!

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 21, 2020

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Reporting back in, I can now kill the 2nd boss Consistently. I may have wasted the resource it gives on some upgrades that don't really do much.

Getting better or worse all the time!

I want to sink my teeth in to some of this other upgrade stuff.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I just saw the "borrow" 300 gold from Charon prompt and thought "oh cool, they added a loan mechanic to this game. I wonder what the repayment terms are. Can I buy items immediately after taking the loan?"

Needless to say I tried it out right away. Good fun.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
I played this for a while. I think it's really great, but there are some gripes I have:
-Weapon variety is lacking. 6 weapons is just not enough sorry..... The aspects don't do enough to alleviate this. Maybe I'm spoiled by games like Enter the Gungeon, but yeah.... I got bored waaaaay before I unlocked all the dialogue and progressed enough. Which is made worse by..

-The bow is kinda worthless...... I read through this thread that apparently some aspects are really good once you max them. (next point is why I think that doesn't work) . But yeah no, it sucks . It just does. Like, they treat having a ranged attack as this big deal that needs all these trade-offs and edge case scenarios like timing your charge, beeing in melee for all your spread-shot arrows to hit the same guy, but then the shield, the spear, the gun.... all have range attacks. The aspects suck as well, I don't see how being able to fire my spell out of my bow would be this super useful thing bar a few edge case (rng determined) scenarios. Meanwhile, the sword is like.... "oh here's a bunch of crit chance every time you use your secondary". Bow needs a full rework for 1.0 IMO or else it's just garbo.

-The late game grind for resources like titan blood and gems is not fun, sorry. Not a lot to say on this, it's just a tedious slog. It reminds me of those "hunt 30 of these monsters that only appear on floor 5" in enter the gungeon. Lighten up the grind, your game doesn't have enough weapon variety to keep things interesting enough for the ammount of grind you're asking for.

-The minotaur and shield-guy boss fight sucks really bad. The minotaur has a cool moveset and is really fun to fight while you're dodging the spears, but once he's down, the shield guy is a really lame, drawn out fight vs a guy who blocks all your poo poo and you only have a small opening to attack him after he throws his spear. Really long, really simple, really boring.

-This one is really a minor nitpick, but I feel the last boss has a bit too much HP for what is a dual-phase fight. I guess you can RNG your way to some absurd hp-melting build and his hp takes that into account or? I only managed to beat him twice, and it's basically just me getting tired of the long endurance fight and slipping up that causes me to lose.

That's basically it. Otherwise yeah, the game is amazing, hope the above gets fixed for 1.0..

EDIT : Coolest detail is
How the murder lady took ~60 runs to finally learn to say my name

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 22, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I agree more than not with the rest of it but the bow doesn't suck! It is my highest heat weapon by far.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 23, 2020

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I had a really dumb build with the bow where I got Doom on attack cause I was running Chiron, but ended up getting the duo boon where deflect pops Doom and had Athena dash + cast. I got a couple more boons that beefed up Doom, a Hermes attack buff, and then I was just slapping small attacks and dashing through enemies. Also had Chain Shot hammer which was huge.

It was silly and fun, but still kind of effective!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My biggest issue with the game is the Exalted enemies in Elysium. They have a truckload of health, usually come with armor, are really aggressive, their wisps *also* come with armor, *and* Elysium maps typically have 3-4 spawn waves. gently caress off already.

Rest of the game is pretty fantastic though.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Check in Number 2.

I made it to the final boss :siren: then promptly died. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

I think I might look into some builds and optimal strats at this point. Besides the ending, I think I have seen most of what the game has to offer in that regard.

I still suck but now runs last a lot longer than the used to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Sample_text posted:

-The late game grind for resources like titan blood and gems is not fun, sorry. Not a lot to say on this, it's just a tedious slog. It reminds me of those "hunt 30 of these monsters that only appear on floor 5" in enter the gungeon. Lighten up the grind, your game doesn't have enough weapon variety to keep things interesting enough for the ammount of grind you're asking for.
The only change I wish they'd make is the ability to go up multiple heat levels at once: it's really demoralizing to fail a run late and then have to do it all again for just the Hades reward before you can get the next heat level's reward.