Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
“Poseidon is really meh” I say as I’m trying to level his trinket and get all his boons.

Ended up with the shield, with hammers for bull rush speed and attack after special, knock back on attack, double knock back, and extra damage on obstacle impact. Trash would get one shot, even most armored things. Did a full clear at heat 5 in like 19:45 :stare:

I’ll never get this lucky with a single god again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Wafflecopper posted:

I stand corrected, thank you.

For sure. Rereading it, sorry if that was a bit dickish on my part.

I've started trying to push my 0 Heat clear time down actively for the first time and shaved off 2 minutes with Demeter Fists on my first attempt with 16:48. I'm sure I can get much, much lower if I actually try and plan out what boons I want instead of just throwing myself at it, but it's looking good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Vasudus posted:

“Poseidon is really meh” I say as I’m trying to level his trinket and get all his boons.

Ended up with the shield, with hammers for bull rush speed and attack after special, knock back on attack, double knock back, and extra damage on obstacle impact. Trash would get one shot, even most armored things. Did a full clear at heat 5 in like 19:45 :stare:

I’ll never get this lucky with a single god again.

Yeah, once you start rolling deep, Poseidon is exceptional at clearing anything other than biome bosses. You still kind of need a plan for them, but you'll show up looking great.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah, I didn't have super great boss DPS and I rolled Asterius as my miniboss in Elysium. So between him, then fighting him and Theseus and finally Hades it ate into a lot of my (total) time. I tell you what though, I full cleared Styx for giggles and I think it was something like 3 minutes, including needlessly agonizing over my final choices in Charon's shop.

edit: it also didn't help that Meg missed the two of them

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 7, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'm making a little bit of progress on H32, having now lost to Theseus and Asterius a couple of times. And that mostly because of Patroclus' vanishing act; where is he when I actually need him? Shows up nearly every run on low heat but not a single appearance on H32 yet.

I've tweaked my pact a little and am mainly focusing my attempts on either Chaos Shield with Dio special or Hades Spear with Athena attack (in the hope of nabbing Flurry Jab as well, but of course it hasn't shown up yet).

I'm not used to this game being so drat rude. On one attempt with the Eris Rail I ran into a Tartarus chamber of elite numbskulls with the shield and speed benefits, and never made it out. Literally unkillable with the meager few boons I had.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Won H32.

Run wasn't anything special in terms of boons, but somehow it worked out. No Patroclus again but I got DDs back through two Athena boons and a timely Well of Charon in Styx. I feel a little guilty that it ended up being the Chaos Shield that got me H32 just for how trivial it makes the Hades fight, but hell, I'll take it and am not likely to run H32 ever again so who cares. I had the Dionysus special the entire run right up to the end when I bought an Artemis boon before going outside and it forced me to choose between replacing my special or my dash, and well. I doubt it would've made a difference going in with Dio instead, though, I didn't have much damage anyway but with the shield it just doesn't matter all that much. I'd also say Sure Footing probably did a lot of work for me over the course of the run, I actually should've included that in the screenshot.

edit: Incidentally, does anyone know how to unlock ambrosia gifts for Ares? The wiki says you have to defeat more than 10k enemies but I am way way past that. Maybe it only started counting from a certain patch or something like that?

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 7, 2020

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I'm rolling low heat having just recently gitted gud enough to get through the game, I have a story question about orpheus/achilles: will I eventually get to a point where it's super obvious what I need to do to help them or is there something I might have already missed? Spoilered just in case: Orpheus has performed the music Eurydice gave me and Achilles has had the chat with Zag in the lounge about his regrets Do I just need to keep doing runs and handing out mead?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

dyzzy posted:

Do I just need to keep doing runs and handing out mead?

Basically, yeah. It might take a while cause every such plot can only advance one step per run, and characters are sometimes away, or they might have dialogue relating to something else, etc. I don't think there's anything specific that you need to do for Achilles or Orpheus - those plots just advance naturally over your runs iirc - but do hold on to your diamonds for now.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ah crap I spent them all on the gem/key/darkness upgrades and then the ability to see my stats. Well, I'll start hoarding them now

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Sneaky Wombat posted:

yooo, it took me 50 tries to get 1 run clear. I think it's because I am bad.

I had no idea! Any other simple things like this I am missing for "postgame" content?

dont feel bad, it took me about 40 runs

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sab Sabbington posted:

For sure. Rereading it, sorry if that was a bit dickish on my part.

Nah not at all, I appreciate the correction. It’s not like you called me names or anything and I don’t need it sugar coated when I’m wrong.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I have been stuck on 1 heat for a bit now, Not sure if my build is wrong or what?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's not that much difference between 0 and 1 heat, it's probably just familiarity.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Depends on where you take the heat. I recommend more regular enemies for the bonus cash

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gently caress me using the bow and rail is so much easier with a controller.

I thought the bow was practically useless but now I'm screaming through runs

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea playing with the controller and its auto-aim is pretty chill. Two caveats: you can't do super-long-range offscreen bow sniping in Asphodel (but who does?); and, quite majorly, aiming the gun's bomb is outright terrible. Quite a lot of fun builds are just so much harder since you can't really aim that thing quickly.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Turns out you can "stunlock" Dad:

The charm is reduced to like one second on bosses, but that's long enough given how fast I was charging up the gauge anyway. If you charm Dad right as he's doing the beam attack, you can trap him in a loop of beam windup -> charm -> beat him up -> beam windup -> charm.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Just trapped him in the same beam loop with Rama special :smug:

Nothing like charming half a room at once and just watching the mayhem. Still a little dicey going in with only 90hp (fully cleared Styx when sack was in second room) and used my extra life. Caveat: He won't beam loop until second phase!

I suppose you can't see the hammer upgrade for +4 special arrows. +12% special speed boon too, I got the attack chain but just stopped using regular attacks entirely once I was just spewing chaining charming special everywhere. Harvest boon is what boosted those two up to Heroic.

Can't wait for 1.0. I held off on this until it was off Epic exclusive, but then was also waiting for the proper release too. Can see all the influence of Supergiant's prior titles (Gasfellas, the cell mechanic from Transistor, lots of dialogue style and presentation and snark ala Pyre), but I'm a little weirded out that they had Ashley sing but used some other voice actor for Eurydice's dialogue.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 11, 2020

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Welp, I'm done. Don't think I can ever top this run. (besides raising up the heat some more of course)

Was a bit slow to start with, but once I got the two Daedalus upgrades every single Special volley did 1400 damage (or more with crit procs) if every arrow lands, which is easy to achieve with Chiron.

Glare Seethe posted:

Hades Spear with Athena attack (in the hope of nabbing Flurry Jab as well, but of course it hasn't shown up yet).
That's because the Hades Aspect cannot get Flurry Jab. :v: It's why I generally prefer Achilles, since that upgrade is so good.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I got my 2nd clear done and discovered some other things. I got zag fists leveled up to max and enjoy that. I think next will be Chaos shield, but I can tell what was holding me back.
I got my first companion, and didn't use it the entire run!

Hermes + zag fists + the power up that increases range owns

Sneaky Wombat fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 11, 2020

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
That's my gripe about companions, it is that they appear so late that you actively remember to use them as it's a rarely used mechanic anyway.

The other gripe is that 4/6 of them can't be used on Hades and those same 4/6 are simply "Here's some damage!" summons.

There's no reason at all to take any other companion than Shady if you have that companion unlocked IMO.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I cleared the game a handful of times before I realized weapon upgrades were a thing. It took me a couple of clears more to realize that you don't get several upgrades per weapon at once, but that you have to choose one aspect per run. I'm at around 15 clears and 50 runs overall now, and I have no idea what companions are. Even though I'm clearly playing the game wrong (especially with the gun, which I only just recently unlocked and so far have 4 failed runs with), I can't remember the last time I've been this addicted to a single-player game, or even the last time I decided to continue playing a game after doing the initial run. Probably one of the best games I've ever played.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I have 79 runs and 2 clears, soo you are doing something right.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah i suck at this game, but that does mean i get to see all the new dialouge! I've got maybe 10 clears and almost 100 runs

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Kuros posted:

That's my gripe about companions, it is that they appear so late that you actively remember to use them as it's a rarely used mechanic anyway.

The other gripe is that 4/6 of them can't be used on Hades and those same 4/6 are simply "Here's some damage!" summons.

There's no reason at all to take any other companion than Shady if you have that companion unlocked IMO.
It's actually very important to bring Skelly to the last boss at least once and call on his aid there.

Megaera does huge damage and is good if you're trying to keep your time down.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

kaschei posted:

It's actually very important to bring Skelly to the last boss at least once and call on his aid there.

Megaera does huge damage and is good if you're trying to keep your time down.

They should just give him as the default companion then and unlock an upgrade when you do the current thing to unlock it. So you learn the button.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've fed sisyphus a bunch of nectar and there's a lock thing on his codex. How do I unlock that? Keep feeding him nectar?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

ilmucche posted:

I've fed sisyphus a bunch of nectar and there's a lock thing on his codex. How do I unlock that? Keep feeding him nectar?
Most relationships work like this:

1. give nectar and talk every time you meet them
2. keep talking until the dialogue catches up to the next cue (this can be several escape attempts, especially if they decide to remark on your milestones rather than advance the subplot)
3. some big thing happens, lock is broken and now you can gift... ambrosia!

There are 6 companion items you can get by getting to that third stage with various people (Megaera, Thanatos, Dusa, Sisyphus, Skelly, and Achilles) but you can gift ambrosia to a lot of people (and gods) with no mechanical effect I'm aware of, just an extra line or two.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Speaking of which, I tried a higher heat run but didn't make it past hydra. This lead everyone on the next run to talk about how they were so proud that I had just made it to Ashpodel and that they knew I could make it farther. :v:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Did you give some to Bouldy?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

So, here's a fun combo: Charged Skewer + Guan Yu (I only have a common lvl1 Poseidon boon as well)

Basically turns it into a Heart-Seeking Bow that deals more than double the damage without needing to time it. The projectile is like three times as wide as well. :v:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Harold Fjord posted:

Did you give some to Bouldy?

I've run out of nectar. Need to build up some more, skelly has the lock thing as well. Thinking I might reset my mirror because it's only 1 key.

How often do you guys use your casts? I always forget I have them. Need to play more patiently as well. I can burst down a lot of enemies in a lot of ways, but ones that have a bitore survivability and especially bosses beat me up because I can't kill them before they hit me real hard.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

ilmucche posted:

How often do you guys use your casts? I always forget I have them.
There's a mirror upgrade that makes enemies with casts in them take extra damage, so even your basic cast can add quite a bit of extra damage when used on elite enemies.

Otherwise, unless I'm using Achilles or Eris aspect or something, I only tend to use casts to add extra crowd control if I'm currently lacking in that.
I avoid taking casts that don't stick in enemies though, (Ares or Demeter for example) unless I'm using the aforementioned aspects or I happen to have a bunch of cast-based Chaos buffs for some reason.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Great: Dionysus cast is excellent for crowd control. Zeus cast is great for taking down a bunch of small enemies or for finishing off these loving souls in Elysium. Aphrodite cast has really high damage and goes great with the Poseidon sword, same for Athena's.

Okay: Demeter is really annoying to use unless/until you get the two other blessings that synergize with it (increased duration & chill / explodes at 10 stacks) -- same for Ares (succ zone) really.

Bad: Artemis cast kinda sucks but is nice for triggering the damage boost and you can't really miss with it. Poseidon cast I never really found an use for, I'd rather have any of his other blessings as they're easier to use to trigger the knockbacks.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

ilmucche posted:

I've run out of nectar. Need to build up some more, skelly has the lock thing as well. Thinking I might reset my mirror because it's only 1 key.

How often do you guys use your casts? I always forget I have them. Need to play more patiently as well. I can burst down a lot of enemies in a lot of ways, but ones that have a bitore survivability and especially bosses beat me up because I can't kill them before they hit me real hard.

Most casts are pretty good and are worth using. Ares is a bit lackluster until you get Engulfing Vortex and Demeter's isn't good against enemies who like to move around a lot.

Also, try Stygian Soul if you haven't already. If you have a strong cast, getting a +1 cast from a well or Chaos can really boost your damage since the casts regen quickly. Hermes could also help with that since an epic boon could make the regen time 2.28 secs, which is really fast.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Poseidon, Ares, and Demeter casts are all fairly bad (Posiedon and Ares can turn OK with some add-on boons,) but imo become the best casts in the game with the right Duo parings- Blizzard Shot, Hunting Blades and Crystal Clarity are all pretty gamebreaking and Sea Storm is really really good too.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
lol @ putting Atremis's cast as bad, this is the internet after all. It's the highest damage single-target cast, and jack-boosts you into Atremis's cast tree which, you know, has all the good cast boosters. You can take off half of the final boss's final form in a single shot with it and hera bow.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I occasionally remember I've got them, but have been trying to focus on taking less damage and being more mobile. Especially when I have a dash attack buff I normally stand right in with enemies dashing, which works until I find enemies like Theseus/minotaur/dad where standing in the pocket and swinging is a bad idea.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Demeter's casts become game breaking with a couple extra boons to buff them up (like adding the freeze debuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, it's the same with Ares'. You can get like 1000 DPS out of a single cast if you combine it with some support boons and Achilles or something. That's how I got my 32 Heat clear, even.

edit: wyoak already beat me to it, my b

Exodee fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 13, 2020