Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is there any way to get a specific hammer skill to show up, or at least expedite the process? All I need is loving Charged Volley to complete the prophecy, I've done seven straight runs with the bow and hasn't dropped once. I am dying here. At least Chiron is ruthlessly OP so the runs don't take too long I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SettingSun posted:

According to the wiki you can't get Charged Volley on Chiron (or Rama).

lol well that was a big fat waste of time then :suicide:

Guess I'll start plugging away with the zag bow, thanks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like Bastion had quite the reception, no? It sort of felt like the early part of the new indie era. Everyone was raving about the narrator and soundtrack. (Speaking of, the Barge music kinda gives me Bastion vibes.)

Transistor and Pyre felt like I didn't hear nearly as much about.

Bastion sold like crazy but seemed to only garner praise as an "indie game". Meanwhile Hades is getting almost universal praise as just a good rear end game, period. Granted a lot of that has to do with how much the "indie" landscape has changed in the past decade.

Transistor and Pyre definitely ended up being more cult-classicy, yeah.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wasn't really a fan of the gauntlets at all... and then I tried Talos aspect:

:getin: Not quite my best time but wow these things are insane.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Khizan posted:

How do you use the shield without sucking? It's my worst weapon by far. So slow and grindy. While it's the safest weapon because of the block, my damage is usually so low that I end up getting bogged down. My one victory with the shield didn't even use the weapon, honestly. The vast majority of the damage was caused by getting the blade rift dash and my cast.

1. Run the Chaos aspect if you have it.
2. Get boon that applies a debuff to your special ASAP, I find doom and hangover work the best.
3. Every fight should be bullrush -> shield throw to apply the debuff to as many guys as possible -> rush back into melee range and attack until everything is dead. A nice cast can help you as well: if you're running hangover then grab festive fog and lob it into the fight before you charge in.
4. Win every encounter while taking minimal damage.

Honestly the shield kinda feels like a trap because it seems to tempt people into turtling, and turtling with it is both unfun and not really the best way to use it. Blocking is nice and can save you in a pinch when you know an attack is coming and don't have time to get out of the way like Thessus's spear throw or Hades' spin, but for the most part you should be constantly in the enemy's face.

Zeus shield also isn't bad if you get a damage boon for the special like Zeus or Demeter, since you can chuck it into a mob and just watch it rack up damage. I don't particularly care for the Zag or secret aspects of the shield: the former just doesn't do enough damage even maxed out, and the latter requires you to sacrifice your ability to cast which really sucks.

e. Also you can run Poseidon on everything and just infinitely wallslam chumps for quick kills, although if you're going to do this grab something that's better for bosses for your cast because while you will clear rooms like nobody's business, it won't help at all vs bosses.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^ IIRC they force one appearance of a god per playthrough. So if you grab the Zeus trinket to start and the very fist thing that pops down is Zeus, that trinket no longer has any influence on future spawns. If you change between areas to a different Olympian trinket than yes, it will force one spawn of the corresponding god if possible.

I've started to really like forcing Dio early to get festive fog, it's just such a good cast and usually I'll also try to force Zeus once to see if I can get lucky and get the duo boon that causes lightning to strike within the fog, which racks up insane DPS and be a run saver since even if your other boons/hammers turned out like poo poo you can just lob electric rave fog until you win.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Aphrodite's call does the most amount of damage among all calls if you wait until your god gauge is maxed out.

Likewise she gives the highest raw boost to attack and special damage percentage-wise. This makes up for weak being kinda poo poo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Who needs anything else when you can just cast festive fog forever for infinite damage :getin:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If I had one and only wish for this game it would be that the more you beat Theseus, the more the crowd turned towards Zag and started displaying his banners instead of Theseus and Asterius, to which Asterius showed mild indifference but caused Theseus no end of consternation.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I started running Forced Overtime pretty much as soon as I needed that much heat and have kept it on ever since, eventually my timing adjusted to the +20% movespeed and now it just feels like free heat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like every weapon except the spear: I've tried every aspect of it but I can never get it to feel good and end up just relying on casts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MiddleOne posted:

Okay stupid time question:

Gods legacy or Gods Pride?

On the same topic, Dark Foresight or Olympian favour?

Legacy vs Pride entirely depends on what build you're going for and if you still need to fill out the duo/legendary boon prophecies. Legacy really helps with getting duo's to pop up in my experience.

Personally I run Foresight but my guess is favor works better when combined with Legacy but not so much with Pride.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've done two runs now where I've managed to get both the Zeus-Dio and Dem-Dio duo boons, which turns festive fog into a goddamn nuke. I actually need to stop myself from picking Dio all the time because my builds are getting stale with how good FF is.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

terrorist ambulance posted:

Yeah I'm not a masochist.

also, K&B players, have you rebound special, and to what? I'm trying to figure out something to rebind it to and the shoulder keys on the mouse don't feel quite right. Dashing & hitting special in a direction is tricky with it bound to Q

Bind it to left shift. Pinky on shift, ring/middle/pointer on WASD, thumb on space. Takes a little getting use to in terms of muscle memory but it's far less awkward when you're trying to dash and special at the same time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I ran Chiron last night to see how badly it got nerfed in the patch, and without even trying to build for it fell rear end backwards into Artemis buffs to special damage and crit chance, another 80% boost to special damage from chaos, the hammer that gives +4 shots in your special, weak dash, doom attack, and the Ares/Aphrodite duo boons that causes weak afflicted enemies to continuously take doom damage. One of the fastest Hades kills I ever got.

So yeah I guess Chiron is still busted. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SKULL.GIF posted:

Of the three "casting" weapons, my order of preference is Poseidon sword > Hera bow >>> Beowulf shield.

The bull rush on Beowulf interacts really strangely with the cast boons, and it's slow and clunky to wind up. On top of that, the shield attacks so slowly in the first place that you barely get any real benefit from the much higher base damage if for whatever reason you decided to focus on your attack/special instead of just slowly grinding down enemies with the bullrush.

I did my first poseidon sword run yesterday and yeah wow it's pretty insane with a good planned cast build. Even if you use something like festive fog or the ice lasers where the "special dislodges your bloodstones" aspect of the weapon goes unused, the native 40% cast damage boost for the maxed out sword is nuts. Particularly if you can luck into a chaos cast bonus as well.

Really the sword is the only weapon where every aspect feels really strong imo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Digital Osmosis posted:

Anyone try a run where the invite Demeter and Zeus to the Dionysus cast party? It's pretty gross. I had no +cast boons or weapons and basically just broke the game with those two duo boons. Lost a single death defiance on the end boss and that's basically only because I was getting sloppy.

Yep, getting both the Demeter and Zeus duo boons with Dio turns festive fog into a ridiculous nuke. For extra fun, try to get the Chaos boon as well that gives you a fourth cast stone. :getin:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
gently caress Hermes and gently caress his Bad News legendary boon. I've been running Stygian Soul for a half dozen runs now which is objectively worse than Infernal Soul, just to get Hermes' legendary, and HE STILL WON'T loving DROP IT. Hell, I can only get auto-reload like, once every three runs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

it isn't objectively worse, it doesn't require you to pick up the casts and you get your cast back every 3 seconds regardless of whether it's stuck in an enemy or not, whereas infernal soul can have all 3 casts stuck in a boss for some time and you have to wait out the whole drop timer to use them again

It is objectively worse when the only cast I care about is festive fog, which doesn't get casts stuck in people. :colbert:

What are some other good casts to build around? Everything else at first blush feels underwhelming compared to Dio's.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thanks for all the cast advice earlier today: I tried Artemis and couldn't get her cast to feel anything but gutless, but then I had a run with Poseidon's and it ruled. Will probably try Ares next.

Post epilogue question: After Persephone leaves to rejoin her mom because of the feast compromise, does she ever come back if you do enough runs? Or is she just gone for good?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cool, that's what I was hoping for. Thanks!

As an aside the amount of unique dialogue in this game is staggering. I've put close to 100 hours into this game and somehow I'm still getting new dialogue after each run.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Organza Quiz posted:

I tried hidden sword aspect for the second time ever after limping to the surface with it once and deciding I hated it. Figured I have a lot more experience now, I understand builds, I understand it's very tanky and considered an extremely strong aspect...

I lost two DDs fighting Alecto and promptly quit out of the run because absolutely gently caress that aspect, it's the worst and I can't play it at all, I am never touching it again.

That aspect rules, I've probably done a half dozen complete runs with it. Get Aphrodite attack on it and watch things melt.

Also the whole "tanky" aspect of it is a trap imo. You're not supposed to be standing in the aura taking hits, and I found that once I stopped focusing on always being in and around the aura in case I got hit and just focused on not getting hit period, the weapon became much better to play.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There is nothing more satisfying than absolutely tearing through all those little rooms in Styx with at least 3/4 of Tidal Dash, Typhoon's Fury, Razor Shoals, and Breaking Wave. Don't even have to swing my weapon, just dash in circles and slam those loving rats and satyrs into walls over and over until they explode.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
FINALLY got Bad News, gently caress you Hermes. I am never using Stygian Soul again my god what a poo poo perk.

Literally had to have a horseshoe shoved up my rear end to finally get it too, just look at these loving boons:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Don't need to pick up the crystals at all if the DPS spike you get from being able to throw out three casts all at once clears the room instantly. :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Relentless posted:

Just pick up an extra 2 or 3 or 4 from Hermes and Chaos, problem solved!

Speaking of, is there anyway to force a chaos gate to spawn besides the item you get from the well? The egg only seems to increase boon rarity and I've now had two runs in a row where a gate never spawned.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ah are we showing off insane builds?

Yes that is in fact 348% base damage on the spin, thanks for asking. And that's not counting spins after the weak and hades spear debuff, which adds another 165% combined extra damage for a total of 513% damage on spins.

Hades uh... Hades didn't take long for me either. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Achillies Spear is good for building around special, Hades is good for building around attack. Zag is... not good. Guan Yu is loving garbage.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Guan Yu is very very good built around special

What's the build? My problem with Guan Yu is less it's special and more that in the time it takes to charge up one of those life steal disks, you have already been dogpiled by half the room.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Harold Fjord posted:

I noticed a new thing following the credits. During one of the various "dad being an rear end in a top hat" flashbacks that proceed escape attempts he says "your place is here" to which Zag says "He's right."

Yeah a lot of the flashback dialogue changes post credits, it's a nice touch.

I just saw (post epilogue spoiler) Zag's face up on the employee of the week board, at which point you can talk to Hades and go "Must kill you to see me of all people up there." :smug: and Hades replies "I'm the one who has final say on who wins, moron. I put you up there because you're doing a good job.

Aww :3:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So are there any major storybeats that come after the credits? It's implied there might be in the subsequent run I made right afterwards. I'm assuming there's more because I still don't know what's behind that other locked door yet.

I've handed Ambrosia only to Charon so far, did that get me anything that I'm not seeing? It was mentioned that I may not actually get anything in return but I'm not sure. What do I need to do to unlock the golden lockboxes in the keepsake cabinet?

If this is all related to just continuing the story than just let me know, but it kind of seems like this is as far as it goes (just endlessly smashing up the underworlds in order to improve their weakpoints)

There is an "epilogue" that wraps up the main story, just keep doing runs and make sure you talk to mom and dad when they're around. Also you will eventually need to have maxed out relations with at least some of the Olympic gods, if you have spare necter or ambrosia you can gift it to them during runs at their boon orbs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hades Phase 3 theme is :rock:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Digital Osmosis posted:

So I just got passed the epilogue. My guess is no, since it hasn't been addressed so far, but I also understand there's like a billion edge cases all with voiced lines in this game so -- is the identity or agency of the narrator ever addressed? I was really surprised in the second flashback to see he set the whole drat thing in motion by telling Zag the handwriting was his mother's, and I know Zag calls him "old man" which implies some level of personification.

Not directly, but it can be inferred. Buy the bust of the old man from the contractor and examine it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mox Hombre posted:

So what are in your opinion the best/most fun weapons to play? Mine would be

1. secret sword aspect: great feeling to play when you get the timing down and combine it with the zoning. huge damage, great with crits
2. magnetic fists: the playstyle is very aggressive and fun, and the special slow mo along with the pull is great to play with
3. hades spear: it's really cool to get timings and positioning with the spin attack, great with poseidon boons

Sword - Hidden Aspect, love how weighty it feels and it's probably one of the easiest to build because all you really need to feel unstoppable is Aphrodite attack
Spear - Hades no question, the debuff on the spin is absurd.
Bow - Chiron obviously, although special shout out to the hidden aspect if you can get the right build going.
Fists - Thanos, probably my favorite weapon period. constantly pulling chumps out of position to you to get dunked on never stops feeling good.
Rail - Straight Zag honestly, the extra ammo provides way more flexibility in what hammers you can make work. Hera is probably overall better but gently caress having to reload after every shot to maximize your DPS.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SKULL.GIF posted:

Does Forced Overtime just flat out turn off iframes on your dashes? I used to be able to reliably dash through attacks and projectiles on regular speed but get hit every single time I try to do it with FO1 or FO2 on. I've tried varying the timing on my dash but no dice.

Nah you just have to relearn all your timings. Honestly my suggestion if you want to use FO1 is to turn it on and then leave it on for 5-10 runs or so. Your timing will adjust and it will eventually feel like free heat.

FO2 on the other hand will yeet you out of a run so fast your head will spin unless you're a dodge god.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So is Zag's frustrated groan when you walk into the Super Butterfly Ball room after a few runs

More than any other miniboss, when you have a good build and can trounce that loving thing in under a minute taking no damage might be the most satisfying feeling in the game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Finally had enough blood sitting around to fully upgrade the Eris Rail, took it for a spin and yeah, whoever said yesterday that thing is bonkers wasn't kidding. You open every fight by dropping a rocket on yourself and from then on you are a killing machine.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just a reminder for EM2 Hydra that the hidden aspect sword's special aura deactivates lava, allowing you to stand on it within the vicinity of the aura and take zero damage.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Party Boat posted:

Isn't Artemis your cousin.

(I realise that's probably the least hosed up Greek pantheon relationship but still.)

lmao if you think cousin loving was even the worst incest the Greek gods got up to. In particular Zeus' whole gimmick was loving anything that moved, including his sister.

Also reminder that in at least some myths Aphrodite is the daughter of Uranus' severed ballsack hitting the ocean and spraying his jizz everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In the Iliad she's the daughter of Zeus and Dione.