Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

AWWW YEAH! She even included a sweet Skimblesketch of the best boy! Link here if you so desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Maxwell Lord posted:

Dune was good though (and Lynch is way more talented and versatile than Hooper.)

That definitely wasn't intended to be a comparison of quality, just two more examples of "why were they tapped to make that?"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

caligulamprey posted:

AWWW YEAH! She even included a sweet Skimblesketch of the best boy! Link here if you so desire.

:hellyeah:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sethsez posted:

That definitely wasn't intended to be a comparison of quality, just two more examples of "why were they tapped to make that?"

Lynch had just done the Elephant Man and everyone tried to tap him. Lucas even tried to get him to direct Return of the Jedi. Lynch agreed to do Dune so that he could do Blue Velvet.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Alhazred posted:

Lynch had just done the Elephant Man and everyone tried to tap him. Lucas even tried to get him to direct Return of the Jedi. Lynch agreed to do Dune so that he could do Blue Velvet.

Also, he thought it would be fun to do something that was basically 100% worldbuilding. Apparently he lost sight of the "make an actual movie" side of things though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fuschia tude posted:

Also, he thought it would be fun to do something that was basically 100% worldbuilding. Apparently he lost sight of the "make an actual movie" side of things though.

It's not uncommon for directors, or other creative types, to pick a project well outside their usual wheelhouse simply because it sounds like an interesting change. The results tend to be quite varied, though often interesting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Even Hugh Jackman knew that Cats was a bad idea:
https://twitter.com/JacobOller/status/1250797362907426816

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Even with Hollywood logic I imagine everyone's pretty sure Cats isn't going to hurt anyone's careers besides the director.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Alhazred posted:

Even Hugh Jackman knew that Cats was a bad idea:
https://twitter.com/JacobOller/status/1250797362907426816

Skimble shanks the Wolverine
The hugh of the Jackman name

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even with Hollywood logic I imagine everyone's pretty sure Cats isn't going to hurt anyone's careers besides the director.

Idris Elba's career is pretty much bulletproof, he would have to do something truly offensive to even put a dent in it. I'm pretty sure McKellen and Dench doesn't give a gently caress about their careers anymore. Everyone seems to agree that Jennifer Hudson actually did a great job with what she was given and I had honestly forgotten that Jason Derulo existed before this movie.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 17, 2020

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Alhazred posted:

Idris Elba's career is pretty much bulletproof, he would have to do something truly offensive to even put a dent in it.

I mean you know what thread you're in

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I looked up Dame Judi Dench's filmography so I could say something flippant about her crying into her Oscar and holy poo poo she's been in everything. She has ten loving BAFTAs.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

YggiDee posted:

I looked up Dame Judi Dench's filmography so I could say something flippant about her crying into her Oscar and holy poo poo she's been in everything. She has ten loving BAFTAs.

Judi Dench was going to be in the original production of Cats back in the early '80s, but she got injured and had to pull out.

Also, the horniness and weird proportions were in the musical as well.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Alhazred posted:

Idris Elba's career is pretty much bulletproof, he would have to do something truly offensive to even put a dent in it. I'm pretty sure McKellen and Dench doesn't give a gently caress about their careers anymore. Everyone seems to agree that Jennifer Hudson actually did a great job with what she was given and I had honestly forgotten that Jason Derulo existed before this movie.

Yeah as far as I can tell everyone seems to agree that Hooper’s almost entirely to blame for the fiasco this ended up being. I’d be surprised if he ever sits in a director’s chair again on any movie with a budget over a few million.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

he'll definitely get another shot or two but rip for Francesca Hayward

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Smirking_Serpent posted:

he'll definitely get another shot or two but rip for Francesca Hayward

Judging by her IMDB page she seems to be more of a professional dancer that happens to act on the side so I’d imagine she’ll continue to get roles that call for that sort of skillset.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think the digital fur is going to help Hayward as it's not like she's obviously recognisable as the star of Cats in person.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Pick posted:

quarantine's been reaaaaally hard on me, so I made a jellicle choice. CATS was the most recent thing that happened that I liked, so I am working on a little CATS figure

I'm not sure how to finish it and I'm not sure if I will, but it made for a fun day so far! :buddy:

:emptyquote:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

he'll definitely get another shot or two

He is, after all, white and male.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm okay with him getting another shot, as long as its Starlight Express the movie. And while he shouldn't get it, it would incredibly funny if Hooper directed Hamilton the movie.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hooper is the director Hamilton deserves

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
To be honest I'm not sure he'd gently caress up Hamilton much more than any other recent musical film director, though I'm curious to know if they'll actually make a film after Disney releases the filmed version of the original Broadway cast and production next year.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hooper would not understand the subversion of having minorities play the Founding Fathers and would insist on casting white men in all the roles.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

Hooper would not understand the subversion of having minorities play the Founding Fathers and would insist on casting white men in all the roles.

Hooper would cast PoC in all the roles but then CGI them into being the Founding Fathers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Hooper would cast PoC in all the roles but then CGI them into being the Founding Fathers.

:yeshaha:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pirate Jet posted:

Revolutionary CGI racism technology

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

As we were just discussing in the Synderdome, Hamilton should be directed by... Zack Snyder.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

josh04 posted:

As we were just discussing in the Synderdome, Hamilton should be directed by... Zack Snyder.

Snyder is the director we deserve, but Hooper is the director Lin-Manuel Miranda deserves.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

TrixRabbi posted:

The other subversion being that Alexander Hamilton was an imperialist jackfuck who should have been shot by Burr more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still say, Bayformers Starlight Express.

Or at least have the Starlight Express show up and it's actually a Cybertronian. Or it turns out it was actually the combiner form of Team Bullet Train all along.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I couldn't decide between a classic Simpsons avatar, and a Cats avatar, so I split the difference.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Lid posted:

The other subversion being that Alexander Hamilton was an imperialist jackfuck who should have been shot by Burr more.

In the show's defense, it doesn't so mch shy away from Hamilton's bad behavoirs as it 1. mostly focuses on the drama of his life and not his specific politics and 2. everything that happens after the War is rushed through because the show's pacing is completely wacky between the pretty solid and engaging, mostly coherent third act and the race to the finish line of the third act.

My big takeaway form Hamilton the Musical was "Dudes be duelling"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Robotnik Nudes posted:

In the show's defense, it doesn't so mch shy away from Hamilton's bad behavoirs as it 1. mostly focuses on the drama of his life and not his specific politics and 2. everything that happens after the War is rushed through because the show's pacing is completely wacky between the pretty solid and engaging, mostly coherent third act and the race to the finish line of the third act.

My big takeaway form Hamilton the Musical was "Dudes be duelling"

That’s literally the definition of shying away from something

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Someone grab the LMM quote about why he didn't address slavery.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Someone grab the LMM quote about why he didn't address slavery.

I don't have the specific quote but I remember reading in an interview that he wrote a rap battle about why Hamilton didn't actually do anything about slavery but decided not to include it because it threw off the pace of the show or something like that. It was a totally absurd dodge.

Historians: people of color played significant roles throughout American history and deserve to be acknowledged for their struggles and accomplishments

LMM: BLACK 👏 FOUNDING 👏 FATHERS 👏 SELL 👏 TICKETS

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pirate Jet posted:

:magical:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We need fanart of the Andrew Lloyd Webber cinematic musical universe.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Huh, the menu on the blu ray (in Australia at least) doesn't have any mention of the directors commentary. It's only able to be activated by changing audio tracks in the menu.

Edit: let's live post some of this

Good insight so far from Tom: the cockroaches are played by smaller humans yet again, after scaling dwn humans to mice levels. The main difference is that they have an extra pair of arms, in reference to an actual cockroaches extra limbs.

Tom Hooper mixed up OCD and ADHD

It takes him twenty minutes to bring up Les Mis

Hooper wanted to work with James Corden "for years" and I gotta ask, why

Bustopher jumping into McCavity's trash bin is a parallel to the "dark side of addiction" lmfao

Judi Dench and Ian McKellan decided that their cats had boned down some years before

I'm tapping out for the night, I can feel my brain leaving my body.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 2, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I, Butthole posted:

Good insight so far from Tom: the cockroaches are played by smaller humans yet again, after scaling dwn humans to mice levels. The main difference is that they have an extra pair of arms, in reference to an actual cockroaches extra limbs.

fascinating insights from one of hollywood's top minds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Watched it with a friend, I saw the 98 version fairly recently after various reviews of the 2019 version got me interested in what the 98 version was like. I enjoyed the 98 version and my friend thinks the 2019 version is garbage but also that he likes some of the attempts that were made to change some things, which I agree with. The 2019 version definitely shows that there were some attempts made to change things. We just also think that they didn't fully commit to those changes and, as a result, the movie ended up as a poor imitation of the stage musical with some poor casting choices, mostly worse songs/dances, and a lot of nasty cgi. If I saw it on my own, I'd probably find the film to be more bland and boring outside of those few "oh my god this is bad" moments. Skimbleshanks tapdancing was good though, I thought that was the kind of interesting twist I'd have wanted them to do with the rest of it. For a lot of it, I just kinda felt like it was uninspired. I found it entertaining as a film to talk over with some friends but definitely not something I'd want to sit and pay 100% full attention to.

At some point while watching it I found myself wondering what I would like from an adaptation of Cats now that I've found that I enjoy the original stage show. To be honest, I'd absolutely adore a Studio Laika adaptation of it. I feel like if anybody could do some kind of wonderfully odd and entertaining passion project adaptation that is both an adaptation but also its own unique thing, Studio Laika would be the one capable of nailing it.