Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Aliens are real but society has become so compartmentalized that even when something is true you can live and believe in such a fashion that it may as well not be real. See: people in the western world re: climate catastrophe. They don’t have to look at the world they’re creating so it’s business as usual- and what do they see in their lives that disputes this?

Also, yeah- nobody gives a poo poo if aliens are real if we still have to go to work the next day. If something like that doesn’t change in our lives on account of this discovery, it’s as if it has no impact at all.

And most people believe in god instead of aliens since there’s probably equivalent proof and aliens are just ‘god’ for ‘rational’ people. So the irrational group you have against you was never going to believe you anyway since they’ve got something familiar already to explain the same phenomena.

It’s a good question why don’t people care about it but the answer is there and it’s kind of depressing because it shows how little of a consensus reality exists and that truth really doesn’t matter to people anymore. Nothing has credibility so people go with their own belief or institutions that declare themselves infallible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Poast more alien’s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK27RqA9Drg

(0:47)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Phoenix Lights were an interesting case because it's like, okay, I'm willing to concede that this isn't an extraterrestrial spaceship- so what is it?

Oh, geese illuminated by streetlights? And these streetlights would be facing the sky, as we all know streetlights do? In the face of absolute bullshit explanations like this, suddenly aliens from another planet are much more plausible.

The idea that it's government technology (ours or theirs?) has more credence than aliens- but it's also predicated on the notion that there is a "secret" level of high technology that exists on Earth and is used militarily. Of course the military would need a huge budget for this and it's easier to say mundane poo poo like "oh yeah this screwdriver cost $40,000 and creates jobs in Iowa" as opposed to funding skunk works because they're not accountable to anyone anyway.

This is actually somewhat believable to me- probably moreso than aliens visiting Earth and keeping their presence an open secret- because there is far more money to be made by issuing "advances" in technology piecemeal to fully reap the economic benefits of planned obsolescence, and also the fact that the lives of the great unwashed just aren't worth improving to the powers that be.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I found John Lear compelling when I was young and gullible but it's clear that some people are just really good at bullshitting. If you have had an older relative who enjoyed having an audience you can see how some people are just gifted at spinning a yarn and tying up all the loose ends with their storytelling like he was. I'm also reminded of that goon who claimed to be an alien and met people at a bar to answer questions and he had extremely good reasoning to everything that was asked. Didn't mean he was an alien, just that he was quick on his feet.

I first heard of Bob Lazar while reading the Jim Marrs book 'Alien Agenda' which is full of crap but was a compelling read to my 12 year old brain. And there's a kernel of truth somewhere there and the fun part is trying to deduce what is and isn't fake, like the House on the Rock (almost all of it is fake). I might watch some of the Rogan thing because I'm a masochist and he is just dumb enough to ask the right questions sometimes.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Stex T posted:

Well there's my alien GF but she lives on Zeta Reticuli so you wouldn't know her.

ZetaTalk was a wonderful resource of paranoia for my adolescent brain. I'd heard of KRLL but not J-Rod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PihDBPpecPo

This always looked scary fuckin real to me

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I doubt Bob Lazar worked at Area 51- this guy on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upADHNA4AIQ&t=47s

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Wow thread sure died once THA REAL ALIENS showed up
:tinfoil:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm about to read that link. To an adolescent brain, the Lazar story is purestrain "I WANT TO BELIEVE". I read about him (in Alien Agenda) at a time when every periodic element above Copernicium was theoretical with the cool Latin placeholder names like Ununoctium, Unununium, etc. But if you think about it for literally any amount of time, why would gravity correspond to a periodic element? They're part of separate things entirely- forces are not constituted by matter per se. It's cool to imagine but once you know anything about it it becomes impossible to actually visualize.

If what he said was true, it would have had huge implications for public science. Imagine what an anti-gravity anything would do for the benefit of society, and what expenditures of energy and labor could be avoided by mastering that science. If what he said was true, he'd also be dead, because of those implications.

Also if what he said was true he would have ended up like Serge Monast (another "mysterious" heart attack death). Skeptics, read about Project Blue Beam if you want a good laugh. Paranoids, check out Project Blue Beam unironically because as Rational Wiki says it's basically THE Unified Conspiracy Theory.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

YoungSexualNorton posted:

powerful enough to travel between stars but too stupid to hide themselves as they practice doing barrel rolls through our atmosphere in broad daylight

Why would they want or need to hide? Not like we can do anything about it.

I do love the “if they’re so real why do they do x instead of y” said by dude who most certainly has not mastered interstellar travel and therefore is in perfect position to criticize the aliens he doesn’t think are real

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I gotta leave this thread before the conversation gets too smart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK27RqA9Drg

(0:47)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
God made man, but he used the monkey to do it. Ape’s in the plan, and we’re all here to prove it. I can walk like an ape, talk like an ape, I can do what a monkey can do; God made man, but the monkey supplied the glue.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
That's derail-bait if ever I saw it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I want Dulce base to be real, as well as Denver airport DUMB (Deep Underground Military Base)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

large_gourd posted:

and threads about it are always just packed with the same jokes

We are funny and creative people who can totally handle a paradigm shift

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

BigBadSteve posted:

Funny how not a single witmess or source for any of this is named. Almost as if it was all complete and utter bullshit.

It’s like those fake anonymous confessions where the giveaway is how long it is rather than telling a simple fact succinctly

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I like the story of Nixon showing Jackie Gleason the dead alien storage and traumatizing him

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

Circles like if someone put a stake in the ground and tied a rope to it, walked to the end of the rope, and then walked around the stake to make a circle with it.

Except the ones those two guys in England made sucked rear end compared to the “real” ones of which there are many

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Who What Now posted:

You mean two random snaggle-toothed dipshits couldn't make good ones their first try? Shocker!

Are you so credulous to believe they actually made the other ones?

Anyone who’s actually curious should compare what they are confirmed to have done vs what they claimed credit for without evidence (and couldn’t replicate)

Not that it matters because aliens are real!!! :hehe: eat it

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The “aliens aren’t real” folks are really weirdly aggressive about it imo

If they think they’re right why do they get so uptight about people believing in alleged bullshit? They put a lot of effort into trying to get people to change their minds but they’re so overwhelmed that it just degrades into ad hominem insults, every time

Almost as if they’re unable to support their flawed narrative rationally

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It can’t be about wanting people to be well informed because this is literally the least consequential thing anyone on earth could have an opinion about and there are a million more important things for people to care about and try to convince others to share their point of view

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

sounds like you've put a lot of effort into developing an opinion on how you feel about others judging you

You are a very bad poster on purpose

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

not a bot posted:

Quite. The problem with the "aliens aren't real" folks is that they are horrified about being wrong even though aliens visiting the Earth have been so clearly documented. We all know they built the pyramids and "evolution" is really just aliens messing with the planet. Reminds me of those people who are so adamant about Earth being ball-shaped that globally they use schools to brainwash children into believing it. It's just another form of violence the people in power use to stop people from discovering the truth.

And then there's the weirdly calm effort posts making fun of it where it's like, why waste the energy? What is the point?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Amarcarts posted:

I'm an alien from the fourth stimpire AMA.

What is the worst kind of electricity?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Mockery is the first defence of a mind too small to ponder an idea

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Tarkus posted:

flat-earthers and bleach-drinkers

Nice false equivalency there. It always goes to that, except usually it's "why not believe in fairies and leprechauns too" instead of something actively dangerous and harmful, so points for originality I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMmC0UAnj0

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 26, 2020