Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's this all about?

Full Throttle is a point 'n' click adventure game that was originally released in 1995, it was developed and released by LucasArts who have been known to make a decent adventure game or two in their time. This game is set in the near future and follows the story of Ben, the leader of a biker gang called the Polecats. Full Throttle is regarded as one of the best adventure games of all time and it was the first LucasArts adventure game to sell over a million units.

This LP is going to be a lot of fun for me, I hope that you enjoy the ride too!

What are the differences with the remaster?

When Tim Schafer worked at LucasArts, Full Throttle became the first game that he was involved with where he became the project lead, head writer and designer for. It's safe to say that this game was in safe hands when Schafer's company (Double Fine Studios) decided to work on the remaster. Before this game, they had previously worked on and released remasters of Day Of The Tentacle and Grim Fandango. I do plan on doing Grim Fandango at some point in the future. But anyway, less waffle and more of the sugary goodness:

The graphics have been replaced with high definition hand-drawn artwork, even with the upgrade it still remains faithful to the original art style. The sound and music in the game have been restored and remastered. Best of all, they have restored and polished the original voice recordings which sound better than ever before. There's also a lot of polish behind the scenes too but

There are two LP's of the original version in the archive. A video LP by Clavius from 2009 (Link) and a screenshot LP by Opendork from 2006 (Link).

LP details

This will be a straight-up video let's play, I will aim to upload two videos a week but that may change depending on my work schedule. Please don't spoil anything for other people, use the appropriate tags if you want to discuss anything that hasn't been seen in the LP yet.

Let's Play: Full Throttle (Remastered)

Bonus Video - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Bonus Video - Full Throttle Demo

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh hey, an actually good adventure game!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I played this like 8 times back in the '90s. Everything about it is great.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Good intro, this is one of the few Lucasarts adventure games I've somehow never gotten around to playing or at least trying out. Looking forward to it.

Curious about the fighting-while-driving segments though, do they make up much of the game? They look like a potential annoyance, seems like adding in a more action-y mechanic to point-and-click games often stands out as a rough spot in otherwise great games.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I still use jokes from this game all the time and nonody ever gets them. I also can imitate both Mark Hamill and Hamilton Camp's characters really well and was my introduction into voice imitations. In '95 this was the be-all of adventure gaming for me, just as I was about to go into high school.

Oh before I forget, someone took all the cutscenes and some of the gameplay and smashed it all together to make a feature-length movie that mostly makes sense.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Curious about the fighting-while-driving segments though, do they make up much of the game? They look like a potential annoyance, seems like adding in a more action-y mechanic to point-and-click games often stands out as a rough spot in otherwise great games.

They're a significant part but they stop after a point.
you can also press a key combo to instantly win

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's less fighting and more of a giant extended puzzle...that involves a lot of clicking. But no, really, it's all about getting the right weapons to use against the right opponents.

What really annoyed 12-year-old me was the other driving section. You all know which one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

God the intro for this is so bangin'.

Eidt: Oh, the loosening of the wheel. THAT was what was supposed to look like the accident. Child me was so dumb.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 23, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Good intro, this is one of the few Lucasarts adventure games I've somehow never gotten around to playing or at least trying out. Looking forward to it.

Gideon020 posted:

It's less fighting and more of a giant extended puzzle...that involves a lot of clicking. But no, really, it's all about getting the right weapons to use against the right opponents.

What really annoyed 12-year-old me was the other driving section. You all know which one.

I didn't really have any time to explain things in the video. Apart from the taster seen in this video, the fighting is only confined to one area of the game. It is part of a puzzle but you can also just do it for kicks.

That other section annoyed the piss out of young me too, but young me couldn't get out of the dumpster either so I can't really comment.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Nice thing about the Remaster is being able to switch between HD and Original graphics seamlessly with a button press. :D

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we find something that Ben will put his lips on. Welcome to Melonweed, we finally meet Maureen but she doesn't really seem like any trouble at all. We also meet several more people and make a new four-legged friend, thankfully we keep our lips off of all of them.

I milked a few moments in this video, I have no regrets.

Gideon020 posted:

Nice thing about the Remaster is being able to switch between HD and Original graphics seamlessly with a button press. :D

That's one of the things that I love about the remasters. I did this a few times during my Monkey Island series LP and it annoyed people. I may show it off once during this LP so people can get a comparison in real-time, but I'm going to hold off until we get to a future location.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
one of the Gas guards is Bill Farmer doing a slightly more southern version of his Sam voice from Hit the Road.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

mateo360 posted:

one of the Gas guards is Bill Farmer doing a slightly more southern version of his Sam voice from Hit the Road.

I didn't realise that it was Bill Farmer. Now you've said it I'm hearing it! Thank you for pointing this out.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Man the animations still look great.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Always enjoy just how...determined protagonists are to bluff their way in somewhere when you go through every possible dialogue option, as if deep down they just know something will work if they just try hard enough.
"Let me in!"
"Go away"
"Building inspector!"
"Go away"
"The place is on fire!!"
"Go away"
"Uh, can I use the phone?"
"Well.......okay."

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Well, it worked to get the bucket in the beginning of the original Monkey Island. You could either exhaust a long sequence of dialog of begging for it or just ask the pirates whether it belonged to them.

I played the poo poo out of the Full Throttle demo, but only got my hands on the full game decades after release. It was very pretty but short. Nice with the Indy3 reference. Maybe that art-thing was Max? Kind-of?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ben has a very good smirk.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Samovar posted:

Ben has a very good smirk.

Yeah this is one of those games where the protagonist is just a heck of a lot of fun to play as, and the tutorial section including the bit with the bar/nose ring is a great way to teach the player that Ben is a tough guy who can look after himself.

Full Throttle always feels a little half-baked, like they had a much bigger game in mind (and Schaffer has gone on record saying cut concepts made it into Psychonauts). It also has this subtle post-apocalyptic tone, never stated out loud but just quietly implied by things like the song on the radio.

I just wonder how he learned all this stuff...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

Yeah this is one of those games where the protagonist is just a heck of a lot of fun to play as, and the tutorial section including the bit with the bar/nose ring is a great way to teach the player that Ben is a tough guy who can look after himself.

Full Throttle always feels a little half-baked, like they had a much bigger game in mind (and Schaffer has gone on record saying cut concepts made it into Psychonauts). It also has this subtle post-apocalyptic tone, never stated out loud but just quietly implied by things like the song on the radio.

I just wonder how he learned all this stuff...

The infamous peyote scene. I'm not sure how bigger of a game it would have been with it included but it probably wouldn't have added too much more to it. Full Throttle had a massive budget and used a lot of (for its time) state of the art technology, professional voice actors and was the first LucasArts game to use licensed music. For its time it was short but the peyote scene is the only scene that I know of that was cut out, from what I understand from Schafer is that he tried to put a "dream sequence" of sorts into all of the games he was involved with during those times.

The post-apocalyptic tones were unintentional, it was designed to be in an alternate near-future in a desolate area.

klafbang posted:

Well, it worked to get the bucket in the beginning of the original Monkey Island. You could either exhaust a long sequence of dialog of begging for it or just ask the pirates whether it belonged to them.

I played the poo poo out of the Full Throttle demo, but only got my hands on the full game decades after release. It was very pretty but short. Nice with the Indy3 reference. Maybe that art-thing was Max? Kind-of?

I haven't played the demo but I understand that it contains content that didn't make it into the full game. I've managed to find a copy of the demo, I'll check it out when I have time and if it's different enough I will include it as some additional footage. Thanks for reminding me of its existence.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.
"Candygram"

Best line in the whole game.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
"Where'd you find those forks?"

"Right next to the knives and spoons."

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

That one exchange has stuck with me my entire life since I first heard it in this game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished playing the demo, I will do a recording of it a little later into the LP as it contains spoilers. I've also recorded the next video which I will upload tomorrow.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

mateo360 posted:

That one exchange has stuck with me my entire life since I first heard it in this game.

Same.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A lot happens in this video, most of it is plot-related. We visit a couple of new locations, make some new friends and see a fair bit of action. We also meet up with our old friends to find out what's been happening since we were waylaid.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Loxbourne posted:

It also has this subtle post-apocalyptic tone, never stated out loud but just quietly implied by things like the song on the radio.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The post-apocalyptic tones were unintentional, it was designed to be in an alternate near-future in a desolate area.
It reminds me a lot of the original Mad Max, where you can't quite work out if it's post-apocalyptic or not.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
It’s amazing how much of a small studio feel LucasFilm games had. They were, of course, small, but part of a giant corporation. Yet they still manage to make product placement so amusing. I like how they reuse locations without it feeling like backtracking.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
In the future, bikers wear their leather jackets tucked into their pants.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Surprising nobody, Nestor is voiced by Maurice LaMarche, AKA Brain from Pinky and the Brain.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Surprising nobody, Nestor is voiced by Maurice LaMarche, AKA Brain from Pinky and the Brain.

I've just been checking out IMDB, they picked out a lot of talented actors for this game. I've noticed that Maurice LaMarche has voiced numerous characters in Rick and Morty too, including the latest season. Kath Soucie's (Maureen) career has been extremely varied and she's been doing voice acting for quite some time now.

Telegnostic posted:

In the future, bikers wear their leather jackets tucked into their pants.

It's probably just the way the belt is wrapped around his waist. Even so, if I was a tall and heavily muscled leader of a biker gang I'd dress how I wanted.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So it's possible to "win" the knife game, in that you repeat the pattern Ben does for you before you take control. There's no special payoff, just Ben saying "Cool." and Emmett giving you a look before proceeding to stab his own hand off again.

It's also possible to stab your hand into a mangled shredded mess.

Pixelated for your safety, but still slight :nms: just in case you might be squeamish.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
This section after the town is my favorite of this game. Mostly for the stuff we are going to do next video.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Samovar posted:

He's great and I love him in everything, but Kif is what I hear him as in most of his "normal" roles.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Haha, I never realized how much foreshadowing there was in Ben and Mo's first meeting. All that talk of her being an "illegitimate Corley operation" and such.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.
The soundtrack is absolutely awesome. I ordered the CD not too long after I first got the game. If you want to listen to it, you can find the Gone Jackals on Spotify, the album is "Bone to Pick". Their next album, "Blue Pyramid" is also pretty cool.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Deadmeat5150 posted:

my favourite for this section is:

"Oh good, did you get this from the gas tower?"

"not exactly"

I also love that Mo has known Ben for maaaaaybe a couple hours but she is already pressuring him to burgle her neighbours. Guess she really doesn't like fixing toasters

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bootcha posted:

So it's possible to "win" the knife game, in that you repeat the pattern Ben does for you before you take control. There's no special payoff, just Ben saying "Cool." and Emmett giving you a look before proceeding to stab his own hand off again.

It's also possible to stab your hand into a mangled shredded mess.

Pixelated for your safety, but still slight :nms: just in case you might be squeamish.

I forgot about the win scenario as well as being able to shred the hand into a mess. There was something in the back of my mind about the hand becoming gored but I stopped clicking far too soon.

I will put together an additional video of missed scenes and dialogue at the end of the LP. I didn't show off the chase scene with Nestor and Bolus without them crashing, plus a few lines with Quohog were cut off from us at the start. There will probably be other bits and pieces as we go on.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to the Old Mine Road! We meet and beat the poo poo out of various people along this particular stretch of road. We also recover everything that we need to continue onwards. One thing that I must ask, did Ripburger and friends take the long way around?

Old Mine Road is fun but it can also be a pain in the rear end if you don't know some of the mechanics:

Each person we meet is unique in terms of the weapons or objects that they carry, some of the weapons are just cosmetic and some are needed to achieve certain objectives. We acquire each weapon by defeating the opponent who wields it, some weapons are more effective than others against various opponents. You're going to have a bad time if you try to take down the chainsaw lady with a tire iron and if you try to take on a Rottwheeler with anything other than the chainsaw, you're not going to have a fun time either! Here is a quick run-down of the various weapons and their uses:

Hands\Feet: Low damage attacks that are only decent against other unarmed opponents. There are two that we can meet along the way.

Mace\Tire Iron: Moderate damage attacks and only useful against the people wielding the chain, mace or anyone unarmed.

Chain: Moderate damage but it one-shots the guy with the recoil booster.

Plank: Moderate damage. The plank is the only safe way of getting the goggles from the Cavefish, you just need to time your swing for when the rider raises his head.

Fertiliser: As far as I know it's damage is on par or less than being unarmed. The one thing that it is useful for is one-shotting the person with the chainsaw.

Chainsaw: God-mode.

The thumbnail for this video is perfect and it was the default option after the video had finished uploading:

Edit: All three would have been acceptable.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 30, 2019

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Old Mine Road is fun but it can also be a pain in the rear end if you don't know some of the mechanics:

Each person we meet is unique in terms of the weapons or objects that they carry, some of the weapons are just cosmetic and some are needed to achieve certain objectives. We acquire each weapon by defeating the opponent who wields it, some weapons are more effective than others against various opponents. You're going to have a bad time if you try to take down the chainsaw lady with a tire iron and if you try to take on a Rottwheeler with anything other than the chainsaw, you're not going to have a fun time either! Here is a quick run-down of the various weapons and their uses:

Hands\Feet: Low damage attacks that are only decent against other unarmed opponents. There are two that we can meet along the way.

Mace\Tire Iron: Moderate damage attacks and only useful against the people wielding the chain, mace or anyone unarmed.

Chain: Moderate damage but it one-shots the guy with the recoil booster.

Plank: Moderate damage. The plank is the only safe way of getting the goggles from the Cavefish, you just need to time your swing for when the rider raises his head.

Fertiliser: As far as I know it's damage is on par or less than being unarmed. The one thing that it is useful for is one-shotting the person with the chainsaw.

Chainsaw: God-mode.

I enjoy the entire Old Mine Road part. The fighting and the Cavefish stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I was never a fan of those puzzle fights. At least there’s no health bar like in Indy 3. Probably didn’t help I did those the first time at 14, which is really hard mode for adventure games when you’ve only had ESL classes for 2-3 years.