Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It loving sucks.

My girlfriend wanted to see it a year or two ago so we went. And it was boring as gently caress. We've discussed it on and off ever since and have come to this conclusion:

No one likes it. But there is so much advertising for so long that it you start to think it might be good. But it's not. In fact, the only positive you see about it is in the advertising. "A must see!"

So there ya go. Now you know why once a year you are inundated with commie china dance crap. Because no one likes it but if they spend zillions on advertising maybe people will go. And apparently it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Ok

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

It's not ok. It sucks. Ok is something like watching the shaolin monks. It's not bad but it's not great. Shen Yun is bad.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i'll have the cream of sum yun gai, please.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Isn't it the opposite of commie because they lecture everyone about how falun gong is being super oppressed by the party like right in the middle of the show

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like dancing w the stars

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
It's a homophobic cult funded by the CIA to try to replicate the Catholics' role in whacking the Soviets op

It went pretty good until the crackdown

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Isn't it the opposite of commie because they lecture everyone about how falun gong is being super oppressed by the party like right in the middle of the show

It's the opposite of interesting.

But it's a great marketing strategy.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Based on the communist propaganda it's supposed to be great. Are the marketeers lying to us? Should I not take my 4yo to see it?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Based on the communist propaganda it's supposed to be great. Are the marketeers lying to us? Should I not take my 4yo to see it?

It's not "Communist propaganda."

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

But it does still suck.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Waltzing Along posted:

It loving sucks.

My girlfriend wanted to see it a year or two ago so we went. And it was boring as gently caress. We've discussed it on and off ever since and have come to this conclusion:

No one likes it. But there is so much advertising for so long that it you start to think it might be good. But it's not. In fact, the only positive you see about it is in the advertising. "A must see!"

So there ya go. Now you know why once a year you are inundated with commie china dance crap. Because no one likes it but if they spend zillions on advertising maybe people will go. And apparently it works.

Chinese commies hate shen yun since it’s run by the falun gong idiot.

Falun dafa is good!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Looks like tha OP and Shen Yun share something in common!!! :grin:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ assuming falun gon is communist since it is from china

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
shen yun isn't real

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Chinatown posted:

Sir you can’t dunk like that on Christmas

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chinatown posted:

Two n's

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Is that the show featuring Grandma the Clown?

givepatajob fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 27, 2019

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
When yun owns. Not because production quality or anything.

But it's this weird countless traveling show that's trying so hard to make their ancient obscure religion relevant again. Its unique and extremely memorable. What more do you want?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Pretty much any entertainment advertised on billboards on the BQE is guaranteed to be bad.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
5000 years of thrills!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

When yun owns. Not because production quality or anything.

But it's this weird countless traveling show that's trying so hard to make their ancient obscure religion relevant again. Its unique and extremely memorable. What more do you want?

They started the religion in the 80s

DB Pooper
Mar 27, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OP is racist against Asians, mods you know what to do

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
What is shen yun.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
You don't live in a significant media market do you

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Oriental Hugs posted:

What is shen yun.

Falun Gong dance party that forever has the same corny commercial with the announcer going SHEEEN YUUUUUYNNN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H-kYoczCp0

It's so GBS China Thread

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
What the heck is this? We have a Shen Yun show constantly being advertised and it seems like some sort of Chinese ballet or circus act. What makes it notable is that for years some unknown person/group has been taking out a full page ad in our local newspaper with no attribution or images, just a page long rant that Shen Yun is a cult and the audiences are Falun Gong plants and nobody actually likes the show, they're all part of a cult.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I believe it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

rideANDxORdie posted:

What the heck is this? We have a Shen Yun show constantly being advertised and it seems like some sort of Chinese ballet or circus act. What makes it notable is that for years some unknown person/group has been taking out a full page ad in our local newspaper with no attribution or images, just a page long rant that Shen Yun is a cult and the audiences are Falun Gong plants and nobody actually likes the show, they're all part of a cult.

that unknown person is the communist government of the people's republic of china

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The CCP really hate them

They hate the CCP

The lecher Rene Chang, well, we don't know his opinions

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I thought this was going to be a screed about the main villain in Mortal Kombat or something.

Or does Shen Yun tie into Mortal Kombat in some way?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I remember when it was cool to not like things OP

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
everybody shen yun tonight

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I heard it's a money laundering scheme

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

So it’s some dumb revue show founded by the dumb side Buddhist religion that wants to take power in China

Wow sign me up

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Is this like the mortal kombat guy or?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don’t know what Shen Yun is and I demand this thread tell me what it is instead of me looking it up for myself.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
You must defeat Shen Yun to stand a chance!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
What exactly is bad about Shen Yun? I'm not particularly interested in seeing it, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
5,000 Years Of History*

*since 1992