Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

The Stick of Truth was a smash success for South Park Studios, Ubisoft, and Obsidian. It was far from the IP's first venture into the video game space, but it was the only one that people actually liked... critics and players alike! So naturally the question of a sequel was never in doubt. And The Fractured but Whole was talked about even as far back as 2015.

There were semi-regular development updates all the way through until 2017, when it finally launched in October. The game would have received a lot more positive attention had it come out in any other year in video game history. But in a year with Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Nier: Automata, Assassin's Creed Origins, and lord only knows what else. As well as the Star Wars Battlefront II debacle taking up international headlines shortly thereafter, there just wasn't a lot of room to talk about a "yeah, it's pretty good" RPG about South Park of all things!

Also working against it was the fact that Obsidian was not writing it. This one was written by the South Park team and it shows.

Why?!

Because the game is actually really fun to play, in spite of itself. And honestly, some of the content in this game is so nuts that it needs to be shared.

What does it play like?

The Stick of Truth was a love letter to turn based RPGs, done in a style that aped Paper Mario at the height of its powers. Outside of one or two gimmick boss fights, you could very easily snap the difficulty in two over your knee by just stacking DOT effects. The Fractured But Whole is a lot slower paced and tactical, if you'll believe it. Combat is no longer both sides staring at each other from across the battlefield, Final Fantasy style. Instead, you move around on a grid and your attacks will hit a certain number of squares. It actually reminds me a lot of the Megaman Battle Network games.

You keep mentioning The Stick of Truth

Yes, with good reason. This game is a direct sequel to it. If you aren't familiar with the game, then go read up on it! It was one of my favorite games that I'd played that year, so much so that I created an extremely comprehensive Let's Play covering it. This game assumes you know the broad strokes of what happened, and I will be assuming the same.

Can we talk about...?

No. No spoilers, guys. Seriously. Not that you would believe me if I told you some of the weird poo poo that happens, because even with context it barely makes any loving sense.

Just In Case

I didn't think I'd have to say this in the first LP until someone got a little too weird about a 9 year old's body. Don't Be A Creepy rear end in a top hat. At the end of the day, the main cast of this game is largely children. Small children at that.

I'm also going to be endeavoring to label updates with content warnings as necessary. Like I said, this game was written by the South Park team. Expect stuff to get NWS rapidly, and for the extremely lovely personal politics of Trey and Matt to be on full display. Never forget that South Park is ground loving zero for "what if both sides? are equally bad??? and the truth????? is somewhere??????? in the middle?????????" and "if you care about anything, you automatically lose. ironic detachment is the only way to win at life"

The Updates

A Coon and Friends Comic Series - New Kid Vol. 1

#001 - Not So Humble Beginnings
#002 - New Kid vs Dragon Tank
#003 - The Day of Fate! New Kid's Tragic Backstory
#004 - The Amazing Butthole vs Human Kite from an Alternate Universe
#005 - A New Super Team?! The Amazing Butthole meets Super Craig!
#006 - A Choice! The Amazing Butthole's Future
#007 - Respect Her Authoritah! The Amazing Butthole, Junior Detective!
#008 - Woman of a Thousand Powers - The Amazing Butthole Makes an Enchirito
#009 - The Ultimate Evil Act; The Amazing Butthole Hits Girls!

A Coon and Friends Crossover Special

#010 - Showdown in the Streets! Defeat the Freedom Pals

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Click for update)

As with other LPs I've done, to cut down on thread clutter, all the updates will be hosted on the test poster.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Hey, this game! As much of an issue as the whole "South Park" thing is, I had a blast when I played it. Especially really enjoyed how powerful you feel kind of scaled, at least when I played it. Early game was enough of a challenge, but later and later you just felt broken, and I kind of enjoyed that out of a Superhero RPG. Never touched the DLC though, so can't speak to that stuff.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I just played the last DLC for this Christmas night after forgetting this game existed for over 2 years. I kinda expected it to never actually come out, like the Stick of Truth DLC. It's a fine game and the DLC was surprisingly good, but man I do not envy someone trying to LP it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I'll probably never play this game- I don't like the story* and play style for various reasons- but I am thrilled that my favorite Stick of Truth LPer is doing the sequel as well. Thus I will read and enjoy this LP.

*I agree the story is vintage South Park, but unlike Stick of Truth, it largely wasn't the kind of South Park story I enjoy. Too much of the "both sides equally bad, ironic detachment" DN mentioned in the intro. Thus for me, it's a more fun game to watch than to play.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I heard this game is pretty bad compared to Stick of Truth. Let's see if that's true

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Oh I am so here for this! I don't care about comparative quality, I'm just really hyped for your SSLP style. It's really good.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

theenglishman posted:

Oh I am so here for this! I don't care about comparative quality, I'm just really hyped for your SSLP style. It's really good.

I'm still waiting on the Valkyrie Profile 2 LP so the trilogy can be complete

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I usually prefer sslps on the forum because the app resizes the images perfectly, while the test poster does not :(

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Click for update)

There's a poll at the end of this update. It will remain open for two days and then I will take action based on the choices made.

Do not vote in the thread. Only votes cast on the poll website will count!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The dragon was awesome, that I will admit. Wish we'd had more bosses like it in Stick of Truth.

Laughed my head off at "Car!"

If one recalls the first game, Kevin was the kid playing Star Trek while everyone else was playing fantasy. Here he'll play fantasy while we're doing superheroes.

[repeatedly touches the Rock of Insanity] Ah, memories.

I like that pic of Bugs Bunny.

I voted for Laser Blasts. Hope we can get a shark costume at some point and they come out of our head.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So the battle system is Arc the Lad crossed with Radiant Historia. Huh.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

After nearly 24 hours, one of the options has about 250% more than the second place option. So I'm gonna give until noon eastern and then call it early. So unless there's a huge surge of support for super speed, then Douchebag will be a blaster hero!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Double posting because I ain't give a gently caress.

I say that's a pretty clear cut victor, having almost double the votes of the next closest competitor. But thanks to the way the "select your power set" thing is set up, we can try all three before deciding. So I'll do a mini update showing all three power sets off before we embark on our journey as a laser blaster hero!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I love how that portrait of King Douchebag standing over the decapitated head of the dragon uses the same Bakshi-esque portrait they gave the New Kid in the intro of Stick of Truth.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Issue #003 - The Day of Fate! New Kid's Tragic Backstory

(Click for update)

Short update today, but it shows off the three classes!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Cartman, that is the lamest back story! I want a better one!

Seriously, though, it was good. Except the you know what. I imagine the more mature New Kid saying “Ah, good, they were oblivious to the possible tragedy I just prevented by beating down those intruders.” Cartman- “No, you saw a terrible thing. Your dad hosed your mom.” “What’s terrible about that? It was consensual, they’re adults, right?” “You just don’t get it, New Kid.”

A fanfic I read said of the three starting classes- Brutalist is too similar to the last game, Speedster might upset Fastpass (Cartman’s in favor but I’m not), so Blaster it is.”

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 31, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm pretty sure he's projecting really hard on that one

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They're all fun classes. I say switch it up as you want.

I kinda miss the 'special effects' used for powers in Stick, like fireworks for fire spells. The kids just have powers here. On the other hand, full dressup power not linked to stats is great.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I used Blaster on my playthrough, and my brother used Brutalist on his, so I kinda want to see Speedster shown off, at least for just an update or two.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh no spoilers never mind.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 1, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SSNeoman posted:

I'm pretty sure he's projecting really hard on that one

Given it's Cartman, he almost certainly is. It's almost basically the sort of this is the worst thing he can imagine ever happening so it's obviously got to be the backstory for the New Kid.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

Given it's Cartman, he almost certainly is. It's almost basically the sort of this is the worst thing he can imagine ever happening so it's obviously got to be the backstory for the New Kid.

Well the New Kid did have a pretty horrifying experience involving his dad loving his mom in the last game. Remember the Underpants Gnomes?

EDIT The spoilers above are for Stick of Truth, not FBH. I have no idea what’s going to happen in this game, but I’m excited and just a little terrified.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I think you should stick with Blaster for a couple updates, then give the thread the option to change classes. I assume you learn new skills as the game goes on or level up your current skills or whatever, so maybe every time we unlock a bunch of new options would be a good time to offer the option.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
This reminded me I still had the DLC to go through.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I'm behind today, so I'm only just done recording the next bit of gameplay. But, uh, you ever see one of those questions that makes you tug at your shirt collar?

Something to think about for a couple updates from now. Now to get back to work on the update

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So you can get a shark costume and shoot laser beams. Nice!

Don’t know why that meme popped into my head for this LP but thanks for indulging it.

And yeah, what a question! Would a fourth grader even know what cisgender vs transgender is? I’m 40 and I’d never heard the term cisgender before this game. Yeah, I don’t really follow new age gender labels, but reading up on it after watching previous LPs... I’m not going to go into it. Don’t want to offend anyone. But I don’t think this is the sort of issue you put on a fourth grade child. Unless you live in South Park.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

achtungnight posted:

Don’t know why that meme popped into my head for this LP but thanks for indulging it.

And yeah, what a question! Would a fourth grader even know what cisgender vs transgender is? I’m 40 and I’d never heard the term cisgender before this game. Yeah, I don’t really follow new age gender labels, but reading up on it after watching previous LPs... I’m not going to go into it. Don’t want to offend anyone. But I don’t think this is the sort of issue you put on a fourth grade child. Unless you live in South Park.

With Rednecks that hate you no matter what your choices are.

spoiler edits
- crow

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 4, 2020

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Do you seriously want to discuss the stuff fourth graders get into in South Park and whether this makes sense or not?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

South Park kind of slowly faded away with the characters just being kids and turned them into mouth pieces for whatever news Matt and Trey want to talk about for the day.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Issue #004 - The Amazing Butthole vs Human Kite from an Alternate Universe

(Click for update)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Cousin Kyle. There’s a character I’m glad wasn’t in the first game. One of many. :sigh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I do kinda appreciate all the customization you can do with the main character. Also how the gently caress do you get to level five loving hundred???

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Your character level is disconnected from your XP bar. When the bar fills up, you get material rewards. You raise your level by equipping non-cosmetic gear, and your level is the total. We got a bunch of Level 125 stuff from having completed the DLC on other saves that DoubleNegative is choosing not to use for now.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

On one hand, I miss Stick of Truth's powers being jury rigged LARP stuff. On the other hand, bosses being able to blatantly cheat because this is a game is hilarious.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Elfface posted:

Your character level is disconnected from your XP bar. When the bar fills up, you get material rewards. You raise your level by equipping non-cosmetic gear, and your level is the total. We got a bunch of Level 125 stuff from having completed the DLC on other saves that DoubleNegative is choosing not to use for now.

Yeah, Character level is largely immaterial, outside of gating how much stuff you can equip*. Item level is the important stuff. Once we find Super Craig and get introduced to the equipment system, we'll find that the basic-rear end beginner stuff is i15. We're carrying around i100 - i125 patches that we actually can't equip! Though we can use the i40 stuff that I looted and may or may not have shown off in the first update.

I'm gonna endeavor to try and keep my equipment roughly equivalent with the suggested item level for main quests so we don't just steamroll everything. That's gonna happen anyway, but... :shrug:

* - Typically the reward for getting another character level increase is a new artifact slot. Or something else in the same vein. My endgame save is like level 14, and that's after doing both DLCs and just randomly beating up things around town to fill out the character sheet to completion. And I'm still getting a trickle of XP from each fight, though I'm legit not sure what rewards the game can still give me.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I'm pretty sure that after unlocking all item slots, the game will give us jack poo poo for levelling up through EXP.

By the way, are you going to talk about what status effects do? I think we've seen Burning and Gross Out so far.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Issue #005 - A New Super Team?! The Amazing Butthole meets Super Craig!

And we're back! Thought I was gonna abandon this one too, did you? Things are different. I want to finish this one and the material is a lot more interesting than Dragon's Dogma or Final Fantasy XIV. Also this game doesn't have a pending rewrite of the early game experience that's due in three months. So that's also good.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Welcome back!

Ah yes, the Sixth Graders. South Park’s most dangerous bullies. They weren’t as big a part of the Stick of Truth as I thought they’d be. Their role in this game more than makes up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
It's honestly disappointing (although in retrospect I shouldn't be surprised) they decided to get hardcore when they put a yaoi quest in the game. But like most of the reason TweekxCraig was funny at all was because it was uncharacteristically wholesome for South Park.