Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
The main thing is that South Park doesn't have *jokes* about trans people and the trans experience, it just has vague generic "how can girl if penis" comments and "haha everyone hates trans people" scenarios. The issue is less that it's offensive and more that it's the same non-jokes over and over rather than trying to like... actually trying to find the inherent absurdity in things like having a second puberty or the like.

I do think using Mackey do this "wait so you were a girl the whole time" bit was sorta funny at least.

e: Bah, what a snipe. Update on last page.

CmdrKing fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

NeverHelm posted:

Being controversial is kinda South Park's thing. You could argue that they go too far sometimes, but I think it's good that they exist - humor is a good way to put the spotlight on controversial issues.

Being black does several things in this game, most of which are spoilers. The police attacks are by far the most obvious. I think fighting them is one of the challenges too, though there is a way to fight them if you didn't go African in character creation. I think that you get less money, but it's been a while.

You REALLY should know what you're getting into when this game have "South Park" right in the title. I think South Park's "punching at all directions" humor is very important considering the decreasing prominence of intellectual safe spaces. In the end, you should remember that this is just a game and that humor, like everything else, can fall flat.

On the lighter topic, consumables are really REALLY good if you're playing on Diabolical especially when you don't have Henrietta. Summons' damage aren't as impressive in Diabolical, so it really is a case of "I don't need them." Being black gives you less money (I think), but it doesn't lock you out of any side quests. However, you have to physically talk to the front desk to enter the police station on all visits (as opposed to just needing to talk to him on the first visit). Also, all the police inside will glare at you if you're black and won't even try to hide their racism.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Issue #008 - Woman of a Thousand Powers - The Amazing Butthole Makes an Enchirito

(click for update)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I do think it's worth noting the rednecks are explicitly awful people and villains in the context of this game. But yeah that's a rough scene. As is the stuff with the police, but I don't think the game is necessarily endorsing them in their actions.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 20, 2020

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
It's like Numbers said: Expecting South Park to be PC is like expecting the People's Republic of China to hold free and fair elections. For what it's worth, the bigots are very much implied to be in the wrong. I get that it leaves a bad taste in some people's mouths though, especially if they have personal experience with these things. Maybe I'm just thick-skinned, but these things don't bother me that much.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

gently caress cursive. I'm like 99% certain the mandatory cursive lessons permanently hosed up my handwriting.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

You... kinda seem to hate this game so far. Like, I feel as though I'm mostly reading complaints about it: not a ton of variation in the battles, broken leveling system, bad content, "the story, such as it is". You described in the OP as fun in spite of itself but it doesn't feel that way so far. Do I just need to wait for it to get crazier?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Tut tut, New Kid used both the wrong bathrooms. She should have gone to the third one pictured (But very hard to read) - Cissies. When the town had controvorsey over trans people and public toilets, they ended up making the third bathroom. I've not seen the episode, but I think it was supposed to be for people insecure about sharing a bathroom with trans people. But later in the game it's implied that it's for all cisgender people, and the Mens and Womens are for trans people.

As for the other content... this game had a lot more impact from the show writers than Stick, and a lot of the references to the show are, rather than background easter eggs, right up front and you kinda have to have seen the respective episodes to get why it's there. Just like the bathrooms, and why PC Principal is in charge of the school and not Principal Jenny, what happened with the SoDoSoPa etc. etc.

My own opinion is that those things aren't great, but the 'Kids playing Superheroes' stuff combined with the combat is enough to outweigh those things.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ugh, I never could learn to write in cursive. And then after fourth grade, it never came up again. Instead they only accepted papers typed and printed out, which they quickly taught us and I mastered. Nice predictions, teachers. :)

Yeah, the game is a mess of story, gameplay, and such. That's why I never got into playing it personally. Still entertained by LPs though.

Now we have the power of Quicksilver but we dress like his sister. Yeah! The Witch Outfit, it looks like Scarlet Witch from Marvel. Moving on...

Car! LOL!

Ah, Mr. Slave, my favorite Summon from the last game. Pity he's not a Summon again.

Red was much cooler last game too. :(

Yeah, we need to wait a bit for the story to get crazier. And for some parts of it to make more sense.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Akratic Method posted:

You... kinda seem to hate this game so far. Like, I feel as though I'm mostly reading complaints about it: not a ton of variation in the battles, broken leveling system, bad content, "the story, such as it is". You described in the OP as fun in spite of itself but it doesn't feel that way so far. Do I just need to wait for it to get crazier?

The gameplay is a lot of fun and is really engaging, but even the basic random encounters take multiple minutes to resolve. The fight at the very end of the update took 5 minutes, for instance. So for the moment all we have to carry the LP is the story, and TFBW does not put its best foot forward in that regard. Things do get better eventually, and the insanity comes out strong once it rears its head.

Also I think Elfface has the right of things, that the kids playing superheroes angle is stronger than whatever nonsense Trey and Matt came up with.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Akratic Method posted:

I feel the voice acting makes things like twice as funny.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
I learned cursive at some point in either my late elementary or early middle school years, but I've forgotten most of it at this point. I can write my name in cursive, and that's about it.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

I straight up don't understand what people write in if not cursive, except if what I think cursive is is somehow completely different.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Cursive is joined up writing, as opposed to my own peasant's disconnected scrawl.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I hope you'll name the update introducing the Raisins Girl enemies "Let's beat up a bunch of girls!"

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

They tried to teach us cursive over here(Finland) for a while too, when I was a kid, but most kids didn't really care, and just kept writing in print.
I don't think I could even write my own name in cursive anymore.

TitanG posted:

I straight up don't understand what people write in if not cursive, except if what I think cursive is is somehow completely different.

I mean the other common way to write is basically just writing the same letters we are typing on the web.
It's easier to read than cursive, so.

Cyflan fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 22, 2020

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Issue #009 - The Ultimate Evil Act; The Amazing Butthole Hits Girls!

(click for update)

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

All status effects are guaranteed (as long as the enemy isn't immune to it). So the Raisin Girl's charm will work all the time. They'll mostly target either Clyde or Butthole, though. Speaking of status effects, the antidote (the item that cures them) also grants Regen. It's extremely useful on harder difficulties.

Since the Member Berries mentioned Moon River, I have to recommend an amazing acapella arrangement of it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Can we still fart on the theater usher and have him whine about lack of ventilation? I loved doing that last game.

Auto-guns kill minors who want weed. Best anti- drug argument I’ve heard all day.

Beating up hard working waitresses for awful overpriced food is even worse evil than just beating up girls IMO.

Though some lemonade does sound good right now... Strawberry Bohemian please! :)

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Even Henrietta's susceptible to the Raisins Girls' charms. They're probably just promising her free wings if she turns on you.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

A Coon and Friends Crossover Special
New Kid Issue #010 - Showdown in the Streets! Defeat the Freedom Pals

(click for update)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Well, good thing that boss fight was missing two of our most powerful super rivals. Otherwise we’d have probably been toast.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I don't know why a dumb reference does it for me, but I love that Timmy is calling him Eric in their little mind conversation there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The best part of the video was the dramatic music cutting out for the car.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I love the way Tupperware waddles with his arms sticking out, because of his costume.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I'm not 100% sure why Timmy is the Professor X expy (the Professor X-py, if you will) but I love it.

Also do you really not know what Brawn/Brains/Spunk do or were you just being sarcastic?

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Token throwing up in his own bucket helmet. :barf:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

serefin99 posted:

I'm not 100% sure why Timmy is the Professor X expy (the Professor X-py, if you will) but I love it.

Also do you really not know what Brawn/Brains/Spunk do or were you just being sarcastic?

Legit do not know. Maybe it matters on the hardest difficulty, but I never once paid attention to the stats because minmaxing just wasn't ever worth it for me. It's not exactly a hard game, and minor benefits aren't worth chasing when the artifact power number is what matters most.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Timmy is Prof X because

1) They're both in wheelchairs

2) Because Timmy is actually a brain-damaged lad capable of saying nothing more than his own name, it means the kids are just staring at him for a bit then making up what he 'said'.

Unless he really is a psychic genius. It's hard to say. Kite Man's laser eyes work on other kids just as effectively as they do on raisins girls, vampires, old people and ninjas after all.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

DoubleNegative posted:

Legit do not know. Maybe it matters on the hardest difficulty, but I never once paid attention to the stats because minmaxing just wasn't ever worth it for me. It's not exactly a hard game, and minor benefits aren't worth chasing when the artifact power number is what matters most.

Ah. Well, they just increase the effects of your powers. Brawn increases damage from physical attacks, like those of the Bruiser; Brains increases damage from energy-type attacks, like the Blaster; and Spunk increases 'status' powers, like healing and (I think) buffs.

The minmaxing wasn't hard for me, I just picked a stat and did my best to make it have the biggest number I could, but I'll agree that it definitely didn't feel necessary.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I like Doctor Timothy the most out of all the Freedom Pals, though the main reason why won't be revealed till later. Doesn't stop me from wondering what kind of super powers Timmy's other persona Iron Maiden would have though.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The artifacts all increase Brawn, Brain and Spunk equally, so there's no reason not to get the biggest numbers. All status effects have fixed duration (and I think damage too), so neither Spunk nor timed button presses affect them.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012

serefin99 posted:

I took this as the same reason Jimmy is a speedster hero despite needing crutches. Both kids are held back by their disabilities in real life so their idea of a superhero persona is someone who isn't held back, but is actually better than everyone else in that regard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Did the tag for this topic change?