Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am near the end of the game and maybe I should post about this game here instead of three other non-game-specific threads! I am probably going to do a Hard Mode playthrough after learning about Bahamut challenge content.

Is anyone else on the theory train of Jessie actually survived and will be a playable character in Remake Part Two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

I swear the President sounds like Skullface from MGSV, has anyone seen any videos where they swap each other's speeches yet?

it's the same voice actor

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh lol, I guess that answers my speculation from earlier. I am almost at the end but I guess I really should finish tonight

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I just learned about the "Set for All" option in the materia screen while in Chapter 17, I was about to complain about having 3 good materia loadouts and a group of four but at least swapping like that mitigates a bit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just finished Chapter 17 literally last night and I had to take a moment to think about a "dog fight" and whether I did one because it left so little impression on me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

homeless snail posted:

It has some good fights but it's overall Bad

I probably posted this somewhere else but Red XIII's animation for pulling levers is S-Tier

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The combat system is designed for you to constantly switch characters, if passive ATB growth were as fast as Active Battling then it wouldn't have that effect

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah there are so many things in the combat system that incentivize you to switch, like if this were a pure action RPG I would be pissed by how many stunlocks and interrupts there are, but those kind of force you to switch characters to keep the pressure on.

Also I'm at (one of?) the final boss(es) and I'm pretty sure the big cutscene attack was supposed to set their health to zero instead of me sitting here pinging down the last 1% with ranged attacks and magic lol?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also you can more easily swap materia between characters by pressing R1 on the equipment screen

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

:hai:
https://twitter.com/cleargatewest/status/1251757971865956357

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Caidin posted:

One thing I wished they'd gone into is why Wedge and Biggs are there, Like Wedge 100% does not come off as a dude who'd be comfortable doing ecoterrorism after he sees the fallout of the first reactor. Did he tilt the pinball machine and fall into Barrets hideout?

I think it makes more sense in this version where Avalanche is clearly a larger org and Barret has an extremist breakaway faction, and maybe Wedge got dragged along for the ride, he is the one that seems to keep good ties with the main org

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Stamp is everywhere, there's a whole chapter where it's like "look for the Stamp graffiti"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"Stamp scared to bite the hand of the master that fed him?" :smugdog:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Barret's monologue about Stamp being corporate propaganda and the dog being the victim of exploitation was great

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Stamp being different is just visual shorthand, a tip to the audience that poo poo Is Different, even in ways you wouldn’t necessarily expect.

No, actually the depiction of Stamp was so important that the Whispers were keeping Basset houndform as part of the Destined Timeline

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I immediately called him Chocobo Sam Elliott

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They better have the Fort Condor minigame

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The FF7 overworld always bugged me in a way the others never really did. A whole continent that's just Midgar, a small town a couple miles away, and then a chocobo ranch in the middle of a humongous swamp

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tifa was trained by one of the greatest martial artists in the world

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWYQYVTu22A

The other "sick tactics" moment was fighting enemies with Reflect, and bypassing it by casting reflect on yourself then casting the damage spell on yourself

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does a Phoenix Down work on the Ghoul boss in 7R?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Was just thinking about how there's Assess data for "proportional damage," are there any materia/items that actually do Gravity damage

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

There's also a boss who flips the script and does the same thing to you by casting zombie-all and then life-all to one-shot (well, two-shot i guess) your entire party. If you don't specifically prepare for that, he does the one-two punch before you can even get a turn in, then you have to watch a long cutscene before trying him again.

I liked the FF14 raid boss that would cast Megadeath on the whole raid so you had to zombify yourself to survive

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

In the back end of this now and I've got a couple quick questions about Hard Mode:

Do I need to do the chapters in the "correct" order or can I just select whichever one I'm in the mood for at the moment, clear it, and have it count?

And is there any point in doing sidequests or am I free to just blitz through the story?

If you are going for a specific dress or Ch. 14 conversation, you need to finish the chapter to lock in any choices you made in there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Have you tried not getting interrupted

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

night slime posted:

Replaying and noticed Barret calls Cloud "stamp" like a rubber stamp insult at the beginning but didn't realize he's also presumably referencing the dog name.

"Stamp scared to bite the hand that fed him? Or is he a loyal little doggie!?" is a dog reference, for sure

I enjoy the detail that he's probably picked up that reference from watching the cartoon with Marlene, it would be like him making a Paw Patrol reference in real life

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Barret is right, it is catchy corporate propaganda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S90SN-l77JM&t=21s

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

they're probably just a native Japanese speaker

This made me wonder "Is there a Japanese version of the song?"

Yes. Yes, there is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqGP12HwPGc

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The reloading is predictable, count the number of gun attacks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remake 2 should have Chrono Trigger-style techs, burn an ATB for two characters to do combo attacks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mainly inspired by this gif
https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1252014813477244932

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does it work on enemy special attacks? That seems extremely powerful

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think the biggest feelbad element of the combat is definitely filling up the stagger bar but getting it erased because you hit an HP breakpoint

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In the endgame I basically had good loadouts for Tifa, Cloud, and then a third for a ranged healer that I would swap out between Barret and Aerith.

Rip me with the "left the party" shenanigans in Ch. 17

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Use a bench?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

sharrrk posted:

benches dont restore mp. anyway i won after complaining

Oh wow Chakra seems like it would be really good in hard mode

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

it's like the music team sat down and started composing but no one ever told them to stop

8-Disc OST
The 8th disc is just entirely arrangements and remixes that show up in the jukebox
There's a 9th disc's worth of arrangements from other games that were left on the cutting room floor

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I want it to be a running gag that everyone calls Cloud "bro" and he just simmers in resentment

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cloud fight Shrek next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Late to the discussion, but I absolutely love how the Stamp theme is just a cutesy cartoon theme most of the way and then just goes full propaganda during the last few lyrics.

I also appreciate the reading that the lyrics really do describe Cloud (memory problems and confusion, easily distracted by searching for treats)