Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I want to get the remake soundtrack but the only versions I can find are the limited edition, vinyl, limitied edition vinyl, or whatever and they're all really expensive. is there a digital version of the full OST that's like 20 or 30 bucks, or are they only selling it for armfuls of cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PT6A posted:

I don't think it's released yet (May 27th comes to mind?) so they probably are just shilling the expensive versions for now.

I too want the OST so if you find anything, let me know.

All the collectible songs but of a non-jukebox quality sounds good as gently caress, in addition to the actual soundtrack of the game.

I've just kinda been having this on loop in the background while I've been cleaning, it's great cleaning music :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqNUgUzN14

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And to miss a final weapon

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
FF6 remake entirely stylized in yoshitaka amano's wispy character design type

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
imagine a PS5 or PS6-level graphical version of like, Gogo in the original style

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love that everyone I've seen video of play that part gets their entire party instagibbed and then perfects it on the second try. it's a brilliant little gimmick fight, super silly but also incredibly dangerous if you don't take it seriously and figure out the trick of it. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Levantine posted:

That's actually really interesting and changes my read a bit, but not entirely. I was just listening to music and apparently the track that plays during that whole sequence is called (spoilers of your spoilers) Advent. So that tracks for sure.

All in all I will play as many of these games as they put out if this level of quality is what they plan on selling going forward.
I'll say the same to you that I have to a bunch of others, if you're really curious about the underlying narrative and theories with what's going on, definitely check out these two spoilercasts that Maximilian Dood guested on. One is basically him evangelizing to the group, the other has a kindred spirit who has knowledge of some of the side stories that link FF7 original to advent children, and they are VERY relevant to FF7R, such as what Aerith was doing in the Lifestream and how there's a very good chance she's directly conversing with FF7R aerith and at least hinting at what's going on

they are both long, but they are very good and made me go from "apprehensive but interested in where they could go with future installments" to "gently caress YEAH LET'S DO THIS, WHATEVER MAY COME, BRING IT ON". Not only that, it has significantly improved my thoughts on how much thought they've put into the entirety of the writing and understated references, like the very first scene with aerith at the pipe that they talk about and what they do in that scene that I 100% missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfgw7iDZ-bo&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Ex8ILaJAA&hd=1

Moola posted:

pretty sure this was debunked
It's stated in the game itself if you go back in chapter select that that's how long it takes Meteor to hit. but it also does apply to the mentioned scene, since it is also seven seconds. intentional or not, it's still intriguing.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 24, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Moola posted:

I loved the new Rufus fight... but holy poo poo do I hate his new 'jacket'
all the nomura belts had to go somewhere

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ff7r is stormtrooper syndrome: the game

no bullets hit any named characters in the entire thing(outside of combat which is seemingly nonexistent storywise) despite multiple characters wielding chainguns or literally having them welded to their arm

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Katt posted:

Then you reach max stagger and the boss is like "lol next phase" and instantly sets the stagger bar back to zero. :negative:
in most cases that's intentional, the stagger gauge on some bosses is basically the next phase trigger

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arkage posted:

It has everything except the last disc in the physical edition, which has the radio tunes you can collect.
I've heard the soundtrack is available digitally on amazon but can't find it, anyone got a link?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ace Transmuter posted:

I'm imagining FF7r sequels with MvC-style character replacement where Yuffie rolls way out of the way of an attack and suddenly BAM Tifa with the Uppercut-Divekick combo enters the fray!

HIDDEN MISSILE! HIDDEN MISSILE! HIDDEN MISSILE!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Least it's the remake version. OG tifa's model would've poked her eye right out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
one of the things I want most is just a way to swap out characters on the fly midbattle like FFX had. use an ATB bar to switch characters, blammo. that way it'd solve the "you've got 10 people in your group right now" problem without contriving constant ways to only have 3 at a time

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

exquisite tea posted:

The music rules and that's all you need.

yep one of the best original to remake tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqNUgUzN14

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's a shame leslie is trash because his theme is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXkSECUtiDk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Knuc U Kinte posted:

He looks exactly like a kakkoii Japanese college student hanging out with his high school girlfriend in front of the Shibuya crossing Starbucks.

he looks like he's in the wrong game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, I can't believe they spoiled doom house

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
can we talk about how despite there being a decent chunk of brand new excellent music tracks on the OST, the best one by far is a throwaway propaganda song about a little army dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_MyhQdwd1E&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLbmVu-3fHU&hd=1

I also didn't realize everyone in your party dances to the music if you stand still long enough near a jukebox. :3:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

By end of 7R every character can do stuff that makes original 7's level 4 limit breaks look like chump auto-attacks, how much higher can they go in the sequels
well, tifa's final limit break could be something like

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ytlaya posted:

I religiously make sure all jukeboxes play the Stamp song

Is the Stamp song still in Japanese with the dub, or did they actually dub it?
square is murdering anyone uploading non-ingame copies of the OST it seems, since every track that was in my music playlist got blown up, but here's the english version of Stamp. definitely a japanese singer, but it's still great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xSrhbUH4OQ

quote:

Bow wow wow
Bow wow wow

He's a good boy who never stops
Keeping the city safe for each and everyone

Bow wow wow
Bow wow wow

'Cuz now he's kicking bad guy butt
Knock an adversary into the next week

Go all out (go all out), go all out Lil' Stamp
You've got so much courage and everybody thinks you are swell
Even though you get distracted by a treat thrown in the way
Even though you don't remember how to sit or how to stay

Fight for us (fight for us), fight for us Lil' Stamp
You just stand on four legs and you're the hero that we need
Even though you're always tempted by a tender meaty bone
Even though you bark at nothing when you think you're all alone

Go all out Lil' Stamp (go all out Lil' Stamp)
Fight for us Lil' Stamp (fight for us Lil' Stamp)

If only we could have such big hearts
And take a stand at Shinra

If only we could have such big hearts
And take a stand at Shinra

(Repeat)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Moola posted:

you leave him alone hes a good boy! :colbert:

He's doing his best.

Ytlaya posted:

lmao at this scene where (chapter 9 spoilers) Cloud gets the hand massage. I went for the expensive one and Cloud is just walking around in a daze afterwards.

Cloud is so good in this game.
It's amazing how many people had the joke go completely over their head and were like "man this is so weird, who gets a HAND massage?"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well duh, it was super obvious the hand "massage" was just a ratings-friendly handjob metaphor made literal, especially with the camera angles. they did great work turning it into a hilarious scene.

I've said it before but I hope if Roche continues to degenerate as a Soldier like was foreshadowed, that he starts mutating or some poo poo and turns into the Devil Ride enemy that shows up outside Midgar and gets turned into a boss Hell House style.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SirSamVimes posted:

I really liked the runup to the airbuster and the fact that when you got the payoff, it was accompanied by this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQDLBKpbXQU

we already know Stamp is the best "new" track, but which remixed track is the best? I'm thinking it's either Airbuster or J-E-N-O-V-A. When Jenova drops into phase 3 and there's a lull and then the ORIGINAL jenova theme kicks in, I've listened to the whole thing dozens of times and it STILL gives me chills every time it does that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DarkLich posted:

Be that as it may, a game's plot should stand up on its own.
The entire remake's plot is about sephiroth wanting to change history so he doesn't lose, it's a sequel whose plot revolves around that, so of course it would benefit the player to be familiar with the original

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Oxxidation posted:

it is a remake! we got a remake. just not that kind of remake. it's a tricky remake.
it is a remake, not a remaster.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Toshiyuki Morikawa has been voicing him for years though
the english voice cast besides sephiroth is phenomenal.

barret's and aerith's VA's absolutely nail it at all times. Red's too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PT6A posted:

I've seen a few streams of people who are playing Remake as their first exposure to FF7, and some of whom have decided to play the original after Remake, and to be honest I haven't seen any of them having the reactions that fans of the old game, especially those critical of the Remake, seem to conjecture they should have.
in what way do you mean

like I've definitely seen clips of people going in fresh with FF7R getting to certain scenes and just having a blank stare, then looking at their chat and going "[name]? who the gently caress is [name]?"

or are you talking about reactions to the original game after playing remake, or what?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh for sure, FF7R is intended for the old guard but it's perfectly comprehensible outside of a handful of scenes for new people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arkage posted:

I liked the changes, except for the new music which is loving horrendous.
Hmmmm, ah, um, ahuh, no.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Schwartzcough posted:

Candy Bars take like 30 years to go bad.
this is very true. I bought a bunch of triple chocolate kitkats during halloween like 10 years ago and put'em in a sealed plastic container. they're still good.

whether them still being edible even now is necessarily a good thing or not is up to you :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HD DAD posted:

I’m going to be controversial and say I’ve been disappointed with almost every version of OWA outside of the original. The orchestral versions somehow don’t pack as much punch by omitting the almost industrial beat of the in-game version.
I'll be further controversial and say I was disappointed by One Winged Angel when FF6 had this for the final boss theme, which is also one of the longest themes I can think of in a video game that isn't ambient music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXVNKtmWnc&hd=1

and when you give it actual instrumentation instead of midi, it really shows its power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqPP9tp6PKo&hd=1

compared to Dancing Mad, OWA just felt inferior to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gologle posted:

They abandoned the LP subforum, so gently caress em, I want nothing to do with filthy Youtubers.
lol get a load of this guy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'M HERE TO TAKE THE LOAD OFF YA SHOULDERS

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the stuff I'm hearing about aegis rim's story being one of the most crazy-rear end stories EVER makes me want it to win narrative but I also feel like FF7 is going to mostly sweep, maybe losing a slot or two to LOU2

and I'm not even knocking anything in the music categories or anything like that, but like, FF7R's soundtrack somehow takes some legendary tracks and improves on a lot of them in really fascinating ways.

although I think the power of Airbuster as a theme would've been even stronger than it already was if nothing up to that point had used the actual boss theme, to signal that poo poo was getting real now.

also, holy poo poo, I had no idea Spiritfarer had already come out. I forgot about that game entirely, because iirc when they announced it there was no steam page to wishlist. devs really, really need to have that up and ready to go before a major announcement stream so people can go wishlist things immediately and not forget them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
braaaaaain implaaaaants

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

d0grent posted:

My friend covered the FF7 boss music in the style of Doom and it's siiiiiiiiiiiick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOIkJFi6uqY
yo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Strobe posted:

So do you people post things like this already knowing exactly how amazingly stupid it sounds or is this irony-free?

I forget the term for it but there's a specific name for this sort of purposely-ludicrous dot connecting

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RareAcumen posted:

https://twitter.com/TrueKingOfSkill/status/1337209400663158784

Looking at this and just imagining the different tone FFVII Remake would've had is just cracking me up man.

Six degrees of Kevin Bacon?
something like that, not necessarily specifically kevin bacon, but how literally everything is connected via crossovers no matter how trivial and you can come up with the most ludicrous connections with only a modicum of effort as shown above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I fully expect the day FF7R releases on xbox/steam/whatever that it's going to completely annihilate anything else on those rankings